Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Coaaab posted:

nice but where are all the gyaru romcom adaptations lately?

Nagatoro is coming up, does that count?

My first girlfriend is a gal happened but was apparently terrible so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The best Gyaru manga is the one with a Hokkaido Gyaru which went into stupidly cute heights recently. :3:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is the world ready for Gal Gohan discourse?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

The best Gyaru manga is the one with a Hokkaido Gyaru which went into stupidly cute heights recently. :3:
Speaking of heights I really hate how the editor forced the mangaka to turn everyone from tall amazons to bobbleheads.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wark Say posted:

That's the good stuff, yeah.

It's weird, I'm three for three on manga specifically set in Hokkaido being really drat good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this season of railgun was super good. really glad they chose to push out the production time rather than cut corners

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kanokari started off strong but instead of a finale it just kinda... stopped. Is it getting another season or is it just an extended ad for the manga?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1309536970553450497

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Not surprised at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tales of Woe posted:

this season of railgun was super good. really glad they chose to push out the production time rather than cut corners
Yeah, it ultimately wound up being pretty much perfect.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It's cliche-laden trash, sure, but I ended up enjoying the second season of No Guns Life far more than I expected. It never stopped being perfectly generic cyberpunk, but it did some fun things in that space.

Also the second OP owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZX3GRet3Fg

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
No Guns Life is a solid show. It’s not amazing, but it has a lot of cool moments and I love the names the author came up with. Like the prison is called Wunder Bender and I’m just like “yeah that’s sounds like a name for a future prison”

I actually like the Unreal engine backgrounds as it adds to the gritty nature of the show.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't like the 3D backgrounds because they look too empty and lifeless a lot of the time. They work fine for sewers and generic industrial corridors but whenever there's a place people are supposed to live in it looks weird.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dzhay posted:

It's cliche-laden trash, sure, but I ended up enjoying the second season of No Guns Life far more than I expected. It never stopped being perfectly generic cyberpunk, but it did some fun things in that space.

Also the second OP owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZX3GRet3Fg

I haven't watched the (presumably) finale yet, but I mostly liked it too. I felt the fight with Seven was a little lackluster last episode, just because it was a perfect excuse to have both GSU's go nuts on eachother in a Superman-punches-Darkseid way with their full arsenals, and instead Juzo just breaks out a bigger Funke Faust. Still good thematically, just not what I hoped for.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sindai posted:

I don't like the 3D backgrounds because they look too empty and lifeless a lot of the time. They work fine for sewers and generic industrial corridors but whenever there's a place people are supposed to live in it looks weird.

Its because with a 2d background you can just draw in a bunch of unique props for each new scene, but with 3d models, you have to put in a whole lot more effort. Its not going to happen with a TV show's budget and production schedule. At least most of the time, it won't.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Railgun T managed to have a good ending, I'm glad that it managed to get here even with Covid troubles near the end of the first cour. They referenced some Astral Buddy stuff in the end, I hope we'll get an adaptation of that some time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
astral buddy has the exact same premise as every other raildex spinoff with the exception of railgun. however, it is about shokuhou's drill hair gf which more than makes up for any flaws its story has.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the premise is that they got a mangaka who draws really thick and pudgy thighs on everyone

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShH0TXFtHSE

fall season already started but where is the thread!?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShH0TXFtHSE

fall season already started but where is the thread!?

Whatever the video you just linked was, it's now private.

Also thread will be up later today.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

chumbler posted:

Is the world ready for Gal Gohan discourse?
I'd take that over Gal☆Cleaning any day.

Though, yeah, I was disappointed it went in the obvious direction. Maybe an adaptation would leave some ambiguity.

Nagatoro got an adaptation so Amano Megumi and GalGohan are on my reach list. Maybe Yankee JK Kuzuhana-chan will take the Naga spot over

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 26, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FilthyImp posted:

I'd take that over Gal☆Cleaning any day.

Though, yeah, I was disappointed it went in the obvious direction. Maybe an adaptation would leave some ambiguity.

To the mangaka's credit (maybe?) the obvious direction in Gal Gohan included him telling her to go away to college for several years to make sure she didn't actually just have a weird crush on him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

To the mangaka's credit (maybe?)
Ok, that's true.

I suppose there was just a lot of secondary characters going "oh, Okazaki looks like a good wife gat drat she's hot you're totally hitting that right my man maybe it's a cultural thing.

I did like how Okazaki shows a lot of growth from the initial confidence boost she got from the cookies, right to being a skilled and capable cook as the series progressed.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1309856672458977281?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FilthyImp posted:

Ok, that's true.

I suppose there was just a lot of secondary characters going "oh, Okazaki looks like a good wife gat drat she's hot you're totally hitting that right my man maybe it's a cultural thing.

I mean it's still creepy but at least the mangaka made an effort to dial it back from :cop: to just :chloe: levels of creepy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Talking about how creepy the premise of this manga i read the entirety of is

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Man, if Cherami Leigh, Todd Haberkorn, and Tia Ballard aren't in the English voice cast it'll be very wrong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

tbf it does sound boring that the gyaru cooking manga is actually just a straight student-teacher romance. not that i'd know about the student-teacher part without looking it up given how everyone's vague posting about it

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Mashima going the Kanzaka route I see. I forgot the Eden's Zero existed since 1000 Years Quest came out tbh.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endorph posted:

Oh hin, you want creepy? Then you need My First Girlfriend is a Gal, where one of the Hapless Lead's Brofriends has a severe and loving gross loli complex :thunkgun:

Or the JK Mangas like the one where salaryman mentors a 15 year old under the direct orders of his boss or the one where the office lady cosplays as a high schooler and lands a 16 year old accidentally

The Colonel posted:

tbf it does sound boring that the gyaru cooking manga is actually just a straight student-teacher romance.
Yeah, it kind of started as a light teasing series and then became a harem romcom.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

not sure where they said they wanted creepy

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Elephant Parade posted:

not sure where they said they wanted creepy
Sorry yeah, I suppose it's just that GalGohan isn't as outright icky as some of the other things out there?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FilthyImp posted:

Sorry yeah, I suppose it's just that GalGohan isn't as outright icky as some of the other things out there?

I mean that isn't exactly hard to pull off.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I really liked Rent A Girlfriend and I’m glad to see it’s getting a second season. The finale was the strongest episode so far.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wuggles posted:

I really liked Rent A Girlfriend and I’m glad to see it’s getting a second season. The finale was the strongest episode so far.
I'm a week behind but the Mami/Chizuru cliffhanger is gonna be something.

Constantly rotating between Mami Sucks Worst to Kazuya Sucks More.

I'm wondering if the weird obsession with image and being single applies to actresses in Japan the way it does to their idols? Like, if Chizuru becomes a moderately successful actress could her prior job land her in hot water??

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 26, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man, if Cherami Leigh, Todd Haberkorn, and Tia Ballard aren't in the English voice cast it'll be very wrong.

If Funimation is dubbing it I doubt it, they rarely use him and he kinda showed his rear end when Vic was revealed to be a sexpest. They probably won’t go out of their way to get him and I don’t blame them at this point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FilthyImp posted:

Oh hin, you want creepy? Then you need My First Girlfriend is a Gal, where one of the Hapless Lead's Brofriends has a severe and loving gross loli complex :thunkgun:

Or the JK Mangas like the one where salaryman mentors a 15 year old under the direct orders of his boss or the one where the office lady cosplays as a high schooler and lands a 16 year old accidentally

Yeah, it kind of started as a light teasing series and then became a harem romcom.

drat, I never realized how weird and gross straight romcoms are. I'll take your advice and avoid them in the future.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

wuggles posted:

Apart from how solid Sora Amamiya and Aoi Yuuki's performances were overall throughout, I liked the detail on the three "main" guys having slight non-iki/non-Tokyoite affectations to the way they speak. I haven't read the manga so I don't know if that's because they're also like that in the manga or the fact that all three VA's are from the Kansai area.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Black Stones posted:

If Funimation is dubbing it I doubt it, they rarely use him and he kinda showed his rear end when Vic was revealed to be a sexpest. They probably won’t go out of their way to get him and I don’t blame them at this point.

Oh, did he? Well gently caress him then, find someone else. Can't be that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Constantly rotating between Mami Sucks Worst to Kazuya Sucks More.

You know I can’t really get on the Kazuya hate train. I think he’s a gently caress up, but he seems overall well meaning and the show seems to be clearly telegraphing a redemption arc for him. I think of him as a Scott Pilgrim who can grow up.

Mami is delightful and you’re in for a good time this week.