Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
god drat you folks suck at mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I bought Hades and Mario and have not touched Mario at all

I love it when an indie game comes out of nowhere and suddenly becomes my favorite game - as opposed to like... FF7 Remake which was great but also we’ve been hearing about it on and off for a decade

Hades is my GOTY at the moment I think

hades didn't really come out of nowhere though, it was in early access for nearly two years

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Galaxy is lots of fun but good lord the levels involving motion controls suck.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Something is wrong with me because I am contemplating getting the orange and purple joycons for no real reason other than Halloween is coming up and I like the colors.

Do it

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I have those Joycons they're pretty neat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Buy the Pumpkin Spice Joycons

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Infinitum posted:

Buy the Pumpkin Spice Joycons

Agreed. They're delicious.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think Galaxy 2 has the motion controlled bird levels that led to me literally throwing my controller against a wall.

Also, Oddysey is literally restoring my entire faith in the gaming industry.

I just fell asleep at work because I pulled an all-niter once I got to New Donk City. I haven't done that in years

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

As someone who doesn't care at all about Animal Crossing and only stays up to date because I was going to do a console swap with someone but then they started playing AC the day before I got the limited edition Switch to swap with them, does the Halloween update have anytime save transfers yet or do you still have to pretend your old Switch is lost and contact NoA, and if you have to pretend your old Switch is lost, does it do anything in terms of blacklisting the old Switch as far as AC goes?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Oh gently caress thanks to the retro thread I found out Herzog Zwei is out and it has online play!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sega-ages-herzog-zwei-switch/

Quick trip report:

Left/Right sides of the screen show unit information, mini-maps, tips.
At the game start it seems you can adjust in game values like rate of earning money

There's a new tutorial system which so far seems good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Something is wrong with me because I am contemplating getting the orange and purple joycons for no real reason other than Halloween is coming up and I like the colors.

This means that you have too much money and should send some to me or failing that a charity or political candidate of your choice

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huxley posted:

I think there's a "Hell Mode" you have to choose from the start of a new file that turns the option off, but for just enjoying the game and postgame, all it does it put a little icon on your clear screen.

Hell Mode does a few other things that don't really become hellish until you're far enough in your save file that you feel committed -- went from max health to nothin' in about 2 seconds on the last boss because you don't get a grace period upon receiving heavy damage, which I didn't notice 'cause it doesn't matter so much until you get to things like the last boss.

Got goodin' to get.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i was getting sick of enjoying myself so i took a break from smg to go get the platinum relic in stormy ascent instead

i'm finally home

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Bloop posted:

This means that you have too much money and should send some to me or failing that a charity or political candidate of your choice

I wish I had too much money, I am very bad with it. I already do donate to a few charities monthly and I've donated to a few bail funds this year because acab and I encourage others to do the same. But also I really want that orange and purple combo!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m starting to think Hades is a roguelite for people who don’t like roguelites. Well, okay, that’s unfair: it’s a roguelite for people who don’t like arcade-style progression (the random loot/run variety side of the game is indeed excellent.) You’re always getting stronger, the weapons and abilities feel good to use, and the story is compelling, but the game isn’t designed to be beaten on its first run. When I die, I think “I can’t wait to unlock xyz” or “it’ll be fun to see what the NPCs say now”—I don’t think “if only I had played better.”

The game has something for everyone, and it’s a much richer game than something like Crypt of the Necrodancer or One Step From Eden, but I do think something important is lost in the trade.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Animal Crossing switch bundle is up on GS.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

nrook posted:

I’m starting to think Hades is a roguelite for people who don’t like roguelites. Well, okay, that’s unfair: it’s a roguelite for people who don’t like arcade-style progression (the random loot/run variety side of the game is indeed excellent.) You’re always getting stronger, the weapons and abilities feel good to use, and the story is compelling, but the game isn’t designed to be beaten on its first run. When I die, I think “I can’t wait to unlock xyz” or “it’ll be fun to see what the NPCs say now”—I don’t think “if only I had played better.”

The game has something for everyone, and it’s a much richer game than something like Crypt of the Necrodancer or One Step From Eden, but I do think something important is lost in the trade.
I'm thinking that Hades isn't really a roguelite at all and that's the secret to why it is loved by so many people that don't like roguelites. It's a game where you go out on a run and then end up back in town to upgrade your stuff to prepare for the next run. It appeals to me for the same reason end-game farming runs in ARPGs appeal to me. Beating the final boss is something to shoot for, but it's not really the point of the game like it is even in probably the next closest comparison I can think of, Dead Cells. Dying in Dead Cells feels bad even if you unlocked a new upgrade. Dying in Hades feels closer to teleporting back to town to sell your equipment in an ARPG than like dying in a roguelike.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hades is a roguelite the difference between it and dead cells is that its good instead of boring

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Does anyone remember that rogue-like LJN game X-Men for NES? Ayeeeee

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Super No Vacancy posted:

hades is a roguelite the difference between it and dead cells is that its good instead of boring

not today, satan

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Ditto, Dead Cells doesn't have enough build variety to keep me interested but in this I feel like I'm getting a fresh experience each time

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

zenintrude posted:

Don’t know if anyone is checking this thread for this, but the AC SE Switch is back up at GameStop:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1309478304819281924?s=21

I paid a non-trivial markup to buy one of these on eBay back in March/April, and am feeling a little bit salty that it is one of the very few special edition Nintendo systems to ever get a reprint/reissue.

Cool that more people will get to have a nice looking console but why did Nintendo have to wait 6 months to make/announce these?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Parker Lewis posted:

I paid a non-trivial markup to buy one of these on eBay back in March/April, and am feeling a little bit salty that it is one of the very few special edition Nintendo systems to ever get a reprint/reissue.

Cool that more people will get to have a nice looking console but why did Nintendo have to wait 6 months to make/announce these?

Probably because the pandemic brought the manufacturing industry to a screeching halt for months.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Everyone buy this excellent M2 port.

In case you haven’t heard of this game, it’s the father of pretty much all RTS games. It predates Dune 2, C&C and Warcraft. I also think it’s actually more fun than all those games as well due to it’s more arcade like feel. This new version adds a ton of QoL features you’d expect from a later RTS and online play.

Why did I think it was a helicopter SHMUP?

RTS sounds way cooler.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have almost no memory of 8's story. They live in a floating combat high school because of anime and there's a space witch or something? I dunno.

The premise of teenage-soldiers is sound. Squall being an aloof emo is fine especially since they try to make him open up as his arc. Laguna & Co. are terrific and the very best characters in the game. I stand by it being the singly best scored FF8 with music matching its set pieces perfectly, something that 6 did also very well, but 7 didn't even if 7 probably has a stronger soundtrack. 9 has good music but it doesn't hit the highs of the others in my opinion.

Everything else is terrible. None of the characters get an arc, unlike 6,7, or 9 or their arcs are incomprehensible like Rinoa's. Selphie is only good because she's not angsty and just wants to have a good time. Zell's constantly trying to compensate, Quistis makes no sense as a character (completely pro teacher but only a year older and in love with Squall but not really?) and she's criminally under-used despite that, Irvine has zero reason to be in the game or to stick with party. Seifer's an ok villain though. Seifer is definitely better than Kuja.

But the two dumbest things are realizing they all grew up together but forget it because GF bullshit a plot point that you'd think serves a purpose but is just used to force sympathy and create relationships that other games in the series actually construct as you play, and Edea wanting to compress time into a single point for some reason essentially a time-travel plot that is undoubtedly the most mishandled in the history of those. And the forced romance between Squall and Rinoa. It almost makes sense but then you think about it and it's ridiculous. It's even sillier considering FF7 already had a love triangle that was deftly handled, and 8 could've attempted something like that giving the cast of characters an actual purpose. But nope.

That said I agree with the poster who said the mechanics are really interesting. Broken as poo poo, but really interesting and they really blur the line between broken as poo poo and working as intended.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Parker Lewis posted:

Looks like Parker Lewis could lose after all.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The following URL https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/consoles shows nothing but the below image:

Truly, the cruelest of jests.

Edit: Looks like it was just a temporary hiccup, perhaps a side-effect of the system dying under load. Did manage to order a Gamestop AC Switch bundle. Or at least get to the order confirmation page, which ought to be authoritative.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 25, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GI_Clutch posted:

Looks like Parker Lewis could lose after all.

Very nice :golfclap:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nrook posted:

The Pacts are designed for people who want to be challenged.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Araxxor posted:

While there are hidden stars, their existence is known to the player by a question mark above the relevant star, and it's not something that gets pulled out often like every major level in Sunshine having 2 hidden Shine Sprites.

And yes, comet stars count for full completion too.

They also tend to be fairly obvious things like NPC-initiated minigames or alternate paths opened by hungry lumas.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hammer Bro. posted:

The following URL https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/consoles shows nothing but the below image:

Truly, the cruelest of jests.

Edit: Looks like it was just a temporary hiccup, perhaps a side-effect of the system dying under load. Did manage to order a Gamestop AC Switch bundle. Or at least get to the order confirmation page, which ought to be authoritative.

It's not a hiccup. They're just getting overloaded so the whole site is in a queue system

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Motto posted:

They also tend to be fairly obvious things like NPC-initiated minigames or alternate paths opened by hungry lumas.

One of the hidden stars in the boo mansion level is found by hitting a rock that so obviously says "hit me" because it's glowing and right in the way of where you are supposed to go. I actually thought it was the main mission when I first did it because it seemed so obvious

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Weedle posted:

i got a good deal on the powera switch messenger bag which includes a (pretty basic) hard-shell case if i just want to tote the switch around by itself. the whole package was pretty sweet when going to other people's houses to game was a thing i did

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N22YAIP

I have this and it's pretty nice. The internal bits are pretty secure but can also be detached to use the bag for other things besides the Switch, or to make room for controllers etc.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm almost anxious to start Hades with all the praise its getting in this thread :ohdear:, I'm gonna start it after work tonight, hope I love it! Bastion was really cool but it didn't have enough substance to really make me fall for it, Transistor was quirky and different and made me feel like a dumbass, I didn't play Pyre but it looked interesting and I loved the idea and should probably give it a shot.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only case anyone should be using for their Switch or Switch Lite is the Satisfye case because you should all be using their grip.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I bought Paradise Killer and boy is there a lot to explore on this island. I haven't really been tempted to use the fast travel though, because it seems like it takes currency to use and the currency seems limited and better spent elsewhere? If it really is limited, I really would have preferred that only unlocking the fast travel points took money, and not also using them.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Red Minjo posted:

I bought Paradise Killer and boy is there a lot to explore on this island. I haven't really been tempted to use the fast travel though, because it seems like it takes currency to use and the currency seems limited and better spent elsewhere? If it really is limited, I really would have preferred that only unlocking the fast travel points took money, and not also using them.

The most important uses will be the footbaths which unlock new abilities and info you can buy from a couple characters. After a while though you’ll have an excess and it should be more than enough to let you fast travel as much as you need.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm generally not a rogue-like fan and I'm obsessed with this game right now. Might be my GOTY so far.

Hades, and Animal Crossing are tied for my GOTY.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The Ages version of Phantasy Star 1 is great and I wish they they made one for PS 2. I think I might have to find a way to hack that game to improve the exp and meseta gain.

Those things go a long way to making the original feel decent.

I will say that it does make the difficulty a lot easier though. You can overpower yourself easily.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think I will get Paradise Killer; after playing Hades a whole bunch it should be refreshing to play a game where the gods come pre-dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah paradise killer looks right up my alley. Does it run OK on switch?