Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

THS posted:

lol at a thread about leftist gun ownership being full of absolute rubes about state department money and the role of the US government in propaganda efforts. is it just the “richard evans is a goon so he must be defended” thing
Rich Evans, from Red Letter Media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Goast posted:

b-b-b-but that's the cool protest streamer guy so anyone criticizing them must be some secret nazi conspiracy nut

Yeah, obviously it's impossible to know whether Evans himself is CIA or on the take or whatever, but he clearly takes money from people who are so there's that. Plus as I've mentioned before, the one real underlying theme I've detected in Evans listening to his various works is that he's above all else a conflict tourist. I've never really felt like he has much commitment to his stated underlying values other than the fact that he likes when conflicts happen and if they happen he likes to be present so that he can watch them happen. Probably a common trait of many people drawn to the type of journalism he tries to do if we're being fair.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Doc Hawkins posted:

She isn't ethered over it, it was funnier than that.

yeah, the big paradox of Star Trek is that it wants to square the circle of having leftish progressive politics while also being a Wild West in space-styled show about armed space explorers with predominantly midcentury liberal values, and Brie having to deal with the cognitive dissonance of that in real time is absolutely hilarious

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
I won't wade too deeply into Robert Evans chat but if you'd like to be mad at Facebook he just did a few episodes of Behind the Bastards on the ongoing global debacle that is Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg. Some of the things Evans concludes about how Zuck sees himself and his role in history are fanciful but its a good topic and he's got a good grasp on the facts and sources involved.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
His podcast is good even if his opinions on American foreign intervention are garbage.

His stream where he tries to explain Warhammer 40K lore is also very good.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

Yeah, obviously it's impossible to know whether Evans himself is CIA or on the take or whatever, but he clearly takes money from people who are so there's that. Plus as I've mentioned before, the one real underlying theme I've detected in Evans listening to his various works is that he's above all else a conflict tourist. I've never really felt like he has much commitment to his stated underlying values other than the fact that he likes when conflicts happen and if they happen he likes to be present so that he can watch them happen. Probably a common trait of many people drawn to the type of journalism he tries to do if we're being fair.
i don't follow robert evans (so i can't say) but, in general with that kind of work, there's a difference between journalists who are in the situation with the people and focus on those people and their stories or what it's like to be in the situation they're in, why they're doing what they're doing, versus those who do slightly glamorized versions of the same thing and focus on the gruesome side of things or dead bodies for an audience of voyeurs somewhere else.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

yeah, the big paradox of Star Trek is that it wants to square the circle of having leftish progressive politics while also being a Wild West in space-styled show about armed space explorers with predominantly midcentury liberal values, and Brie having to deal with the cognitive dissonance of that in real time is absolutely hilarious

wasn't the federation being an imperialist project kinda an undercurrent throughout ds9 with the whole section 31 thing?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the federation is the ultimate future fascist society: a single corporation directing the flow of resources according to a machine logic no citizen can even become aware of, much less have a say in.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like I should make an effort post to talk about how people can be CIA/State Department stenographers without literally being a fed, and that US officials often prefer stenographers to assets. There's less of a paper trail that way. Even people who otherwise seem "progressive" or "anarchist" often uphold state department lines. And that in the US we have decades of history of people supporting civil rights and progressive change at home while writing off genocides abroad as a necessary tradeoff.

I've got no energy for that though.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also there's a running theme, including among journalists who get into that line of work, that the conflict or the war is like the "real" world in contrast to the boring "fake" world of suburban america or whatever -- this is common in war adventurers as well, oddballs who seek out wars to prove something, experience danger so they can feel alive or whatever. but it's the same drat world. and in most conflict zones in the 21st century, you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the battle than in the actual battle, as a reporter.

like, wow, so-and-so must be really brave going off to cover that conflict, but there are little kids running around and grandmothers shopping for groceries in the middle of a battle, so you think you're a tough guy? this kind of thing is not something that happens "over there." it's part of the ordinary human experience for a lot of people. and most of those people are not strapped to the gills in gear and equipment. it's like, hey wanna head up into the mountains for a few days? *grabs plastic bag with a toothbrush*

that's it? no body armor? no helmet with a gopro? that's how a lot of people live.

like i said i don't follow evans so i don't know if this applies at all, but you can usually tell who is trying to approach these stories from someone who is trying to empathize with the human subjects and demystify things versus those who just see it as "material" or a vehicle for one's own personal trip.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

The Muppets On PCP posted:

wasn't the federation being an imperialist project kinda an undercurrent throughout ds9 with the whole section 31 thing?

a lot of episodes point to The Federation being an expansionist society where its colonial citizens seem to be regularly coming in conflict with neighboring species

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
evans can ditch the protests he's "involved" in at any second and suffer no real consequences for his actions

this is why the streamer bellingcat journalist isnt't fully trusted by the protestors they walk with

if mods can't get their heads around that then :shrug:

Goast has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Sep 25, 2020

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

a lot of episodes point to The Federation being an expansionist society where its colonial citizens seem to be regularly coming in conflict with neighboring species

The neighboring species are expansionist imperial powers so if they wanted to make that point the writing could have been better. The gorn episode of TOS handled that better.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Goast posted:

evans can ditch the protests he's "involved" in at any second and suffer no real consequences for his actions

this is why the streamer bellingcat journalists aren't fully trusted by the protestors they walk with

if mods can't get their heads around that then :shrug:
well, probably not, but if they trust him 80% of the way then that's really good for a reporter. i don't know if they do or not, though.

the most a journalist can do is treat people with respect. secondly, don't lie. also, you shouldn't tell your subjects that they'll like you or want to be your friend. lastly, you should share the risks with them. like, if the police are tear gassing the crowd, you should be in that crowd. if you're with some rebels and they're getting shot at, you should be with the rebels. and usually those guys will be like "okay, well, this guy gets it, he understands what we're doing." you don't even have to agree with what they're doing, they don't entirely trust you, but they trust you enough to tell the truth.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ehhhhh, the federation are expansionist in a way but they aren’t really imperialist, is the thing. one of the very few rules that stays consistent throughout Star Trek is that the federation respects the autonomy of outside cultures and nations, to their own detriment at times, (hence how the whole maquis subplot is about the federation giving up colonies in return for a peaceful cease fire) and the few cases that this doesn’t hold tends to be meant as a lesson in dangerous slippery slopes leading to evil. even in wrath of khan, where the federation is aesthetically at their most militaristic, its highlighted that the federation refuses to even harm fuckin microbes in the process of testing new technology.

section 31 was more about the dangers of Jack Bauer style protofascism, since the whole deal there was that S31 was a very small group within the federation with questionable authority and permission, who do evil poo poo like assassinations because they’ve told themselves that the federation only survives because HARD MEN make the HARD CHOICES

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the best Reflections Of Our Past episode of TOS is of course Space Seed, but the second-best is the one on Gangster Planet

the dilemma of Gangster Planet is resolved by Kirk taking over all the crime families in the name of the Federation, which he describes in terms they'd understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbBuNGVDNCM

Kirk is what you might call a cynical idealist

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Sep 25, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

THS posted:

lol at a thread about leftist gun ownership being full of absolute rubes about state department money and the role of the US government in propaganda efforts. is it just the “richard evans is a goon so he must be defended” thing

I would assume any thread about "leftist gun ownership" would be at least 75% informants.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I would assume any thread about "leftist gun ownership" would be at least 75% informants.

The CIA standoff, in which everyone in a circle is pointing their guns at one another, but also have unseen help, painting dots on everyone below, as to give no clue as to who is the beneficiary

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Gripweed posted:

Oh, you know a lot about police informants do you? Interesting...

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

well, probably not, but if they trust him 80% of the way then that's really good for a reporter. i don't know if they do or not, though.

the most a journalist can do is treat people with respect. secondly, don't lie. also, you shouldn't tell your subjects that they'll like you or want to be your friend. lastly, you should share the risks with them. like, if the police are tear gassing the crowd, you should be in that crowd. if you're with some rebels and they're getting shot at, you should be with the rebels. and usually those guys will be like "okay, well, this guy gets it, he understands what we're doing." you don't even have to agree with what they're doing, they don't entirely trust you, but they trust you enough to tell the truth.

Evans as an on the ground reporter seems fine actually.

If anything I think he's too naïve when it comes to the people he embeds with actually. In 2019, he was still reflecting favorably on the Euromaidan barricades.

I haven't read as much of his YPG stuff, but he seems to have bought their line about how Democratic Confederalism is completely compatible with US style anarchism. Since this is the podcast thread, I can point people to Brace on the TrueAnon Syria episodes, where he has touched on how it's a bit more complicated and nuanced than that.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol
https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status/1309611666418659329?s=20

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

if they trust him 80% of the way

its more 0 percent but okay

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
evan's participation in tear gas parties is as performative as ted wheeler's

don't trust anyone willing to broadcast your face doing "crimes"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Goast posted:

don't trust anyone willing to broadcast

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

at first i thought this was about the swedish show, i have never heard of a new york times podcast about the confessions of an isis executioner

i've been missing out

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

infamous CIA asset, now code-named "Nyanners"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Rich Evans, from Red Letter Media?

proof that the cia invented AAAAAIIIIIIDDDDSSSSS

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They arrested someone for not being a terrorist?

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009

Wow lol, the first Radio War Nerd I ever listened to was ripping apart this podcast, need to relisten.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i want to formally apologize to rich “dick the birthday boy” evans

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

i want to formally apologize to rich “dick the birthday boy” evans

Lmfao @ what is going on in the gun thread.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Finicums Wake posted:

it's not hard to imagine UBI--rather than, say, a job guarantee--leading to some of the same kinds of alienation that 1950s housewives experienced

can you link the article?

It's over here

An easy way to tell it's good is that all the counter-arguments you find are written by the worst people in the world

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Crane Fist posted:

It's over here

An easy way to tell it's good is that all the counter-arguments you find are written by the worst people in the world

what made u change ur mind ? B)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmfao @ what is going on in the gun thread.

The people who pointed out that Evans is connected to NED money got probated for derailing the gun thread but not the people who brought the podcast up.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the cia bankrolled modern art during the cold war so i don’t see why they don’t use .00001% of their budget to fund sympathetic podcasters

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The CIA made me so rich they call me “Dick the birthday boy”.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Chris is so far not very good at moderating Matt’s streams of consciousness. Matt asks him, “any good questions in the chat?” which he is supposed to be watching for, and obviously hasn’t been paying attention to it at all. He’s really obvious about it too, but Chris’ vibe in general does seem off to me compared to the Chapos proper.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Chris is so far not very good at moderating Matt’s streams of consciousness. Matt asks him, “any good questions in the chat?” which he is supposed to be watching for, and obviously hasn’t been paying attention to it at all.

why is Chris moderating that stuff to begin with anyway?

wait, that's right, you don't want the inmates to run the asylum, so poo poo, sorry Chris

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

cenotaph posted:

The people who pointed out that Evans is connected to NED money got probated for derailing the gun thread but not the people who brought the podcast up.

this may be the podcast thread but i guess cspam is the podcast forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
at least morons in the gun thread talking about poo poo you don't say out loud moved the eye of sauron over there