Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

I'm gonna take a wild-rear end left field swing and go with Konami bad.
That, lost code or just :effort:. 1 and 2 actually had PC releases before, they'd have to do a full port for 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Propaganda Hour posted:

It has performance issues that need to be ironed out, but it's fun as hell and much much better than Serious Sam 3.

Yeah I haven't refunded it but it runs suspiciously like garbage on my 2070 Super at 1440p so I'm gonna let it sit for a while and see if any patches help improve the performance issues.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Orv posted:

Somewhere an Amazon person looked at Stadia and instead of saying "This failed because the infrastructure to support it literally doesn't exist" they said "This failed because it was Google" or whatever bizarre nonsense they've convinced themselves of. I will never understand how people with that level of capital think and that's probably for the best.
They have money to burn and they're just taking longshots. If it fails who cares, but if it hits big then they've got a prime position in a big growth industry. They have enough money that they can take enough longshots that they feel confident their hit rate will be enough to justify it and the failures are writeoffs. Plus, if they can fit it into their amazon prime and twitch ecosystem it can be a money loser for them and still add value and buy in and in that respect amazon does seem more organized than google. That proposal seems really bad value, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They have money to burn and they're just taking longshots. If it fails who cares, but if it hits big then they've got a prime position in a big growth industry. They have enough money that they can take enough longshots that they feel confident their hit rate will be enough to justify it and the failures are writeoffs. Plus, if they can fit it into their amazon prime and twitch ecosystem it can be a money loser for them and still add value and buy in and in that respect amazon does seem more organized than google. That proposal seems really bad value, though.

My issue with this outlook is phrasing game streaming as a 'prime growth industry' and not something that is inherently doomed to failure as it currently stands.

But yes the answer is probably $Texas.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wonder if this will end up being yet another Amazon Prime feature that I never use.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Orv posted:

My issue with this outlook is phrasing game streaming as a 'prime growth industry' and not something that is inherently doomed to failure as it currently stands.

But yes the answer is probably $Texas.
"big potential" would probably have been a better term than "big growth," yeah. I think part of it from the perspective of these companies is that they feel like the future is unpredictable, so buying a bunch of lottery tickets covers their bases and something is bound to be a big even if they don't know which one.

I agree with you that streaming isn't really worthwhile in the near future. It solves a problem that only exists if you don't have money (can't buy a console or PC to play games), but if you don't have money you can't make use of this solution (which requires high priced internet and some base level of device to play it on). It's a bad bet, but they're not thinking of it as a good or bad bet, just a bet that could possibly work out, and that's enough. They just see x potential consumers and y potential solution, the actual fit doesn't matter because that's just details and the people making decisions don't worry about details.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orv posted:

I saw some article earlier that said their new controller has reduced latency by up to 30ms, which seems to be one of the biggest problems with every implementation of games streaming services since OnLive, which I believe was the first.

I do think that if that problem is solved then game streaming could actual be a real industry. The next problem is how to handle licensing / getting games on the platform. Amazon's "channels" idea seems to absolutely be the wrong direction though.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I agree with you that streaming isn't really worthwhile in the near future. It solves a problem that only exists if you don't have money (can't buy a console or PC to play games), but if you don't have money you can't make use of this solution (which requires high priced internet and some base level of device to play it on). It's a bad bet, but they're not thinking of it as a good or bad bet, just a bet that could possibly work out, and that's enough. They just see x potential consumers and y potential solution, the actual fit doesn't matter because that's just details and the people making decisions don't worry about details.

I guess I don't know what internet service is like in, say, Eastern Europe, but it seems to me there are lots of people who can't afford gaming PCs / consoles but could definitely afford a reasonable subscription along with good internet. I do think there is huge potential, there's just a lot of technical barriers as well as man-made ones (again, licensing / getting games on the platform and paying devs)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 25, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that doesn't really sound great. It's at least an improvement on Google's idea of not only making you pay monthly for the service, but making you buy each game individually as well, though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I saw some article earlier that said their new controller has reduced latency by up to 30ms,

I highly doubt this is the case. For lots of reasons but the first being physics.

The gamers nexus stadia latency test videos explains it pretty well.

I’ve also made a threat to talk about the 800 other streaming options out there. There’s a lot of them

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940423

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I highly doubt this is the case. For lots of reasons but the first being physics.

The gamers nexus stadia latency test videos explains it pretty well.

I’ve also made a threat to talk about the 800 other streaming options out there. There’s a lot of them

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940423

I dug up and re-read the article I referenced. It is actually comparing their fancy wifi controller VS a bluetooth one and showed "reductions of between 17 to 30 milliseconds" so yea, saying "Our controller is faster than a bluetooth one" is kind of silly because what about wired controllers / direct KBM input

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I really wish the MGS HD collection was available on something past the 360/PS3 generation.

Also, a port of MGS4 would be nice, even if it hasn't aged well (and was kind of poo poo to begin with).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I dug up and re-read the article I referenced. It is actually comparing their fancy wifi controller VS a bluetooth one and showed "reductions of between 17 to 30 milliseconds" so yea, saying "Our controller is faster than a bluetooth one" is kind of silly because what about wired controllers / direct KBM input

Yeah figured as much.

Also Scrap Garden is currently FREE till the 27th or something

https://store.steampowered.com/app/465760/Scrap_Garden/

I guess its a chill game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, that Cloud Garden game sucked. It’s a shame because it seemed purpose built to appeal to me but it doesn’t even really work as a toy. The logic that guides the game is somewhat opaque, and not very compelling when you d figure it out.

You have to like, balance organic and inorganic growth, because placing inorganic items causes all of the organic items in its radius to grow, but not necessarily in the direction of that object? And when you fill your growth meter, you unlock a new seed, which allows you to create a new growth node, but it’s never really clear what spots will be productive and what ones won’t.

Nothing about it feels intuitive or satisfying.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Amazon subscription thing seems like the dumbest, most counterintuitive thing ever, who in the world is it even for.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm seeing Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom as 75% off, reducing it to the very tempting $15. Anyone played it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/589360/Ni_no_Kuni_II_Revenant_Kingdom/

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, that Cloud Garden game sucked. It’s a shame because it seemed purpose built to appeal to me but it doesn’t even really work as a toy. The logic that guides the game is somewhat opaque, and not very compelling when you d figure it out.

You have to like, balance organic and inorganic growth, because placing inorganic items causes all of the organic items in its radius to grow, but not necessarily in the direction of that object? And when you fill your growth meter, you unlock a new seed, which allows you to create a new growth node, but it’s never really clear what spots will be productive and what ones won’t.

Nothing about it feels intuitive or satisfying.

I can't believe the "trash" items were so repetitive. Game lost a lot of its appeal once it asked me to decorate structures with a dozen identical stickers. It looks stupid and unrealistic, which defeats the whole point.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm seeing Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom as 75% off, reducing it to the very tempting $15. Anyone played it?

It's extremely okay.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it was a very average experience. I'm actually not sure I'd pay 15$ for it again, but I also wouldn't say it's a bad price for what it gets you. It's just one of those games that it's really hard to be enthusiastic about.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Unfortunately the game peaks at the isekai president shooting a rat guard in the head with a pistol, but this is like literally the opening cutscene.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RE: Serious Sam 4

I expected this but as is the case in all previous games the scorpion enemies are still hitscan in the sense that they fire a cone of bullets at the place you are standing and if you’re still standing there after half a second you start taking a damage tick. As long as basic enemies aren’t hitscan as in SS3 it’s fine though. As with all games of this type where health and armor meters exist you have to expect to take some damage. The game is about killing things quickly enough before you take too much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Unfortunately the game peaks at the isekai president shooting a rat guard in the head with a pistol
The what president?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ni No Kuni's combat looks decent enough (at least in video clips and reviews) that I might get it just for that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Unfortunately the game peaks at the isekai president shooting a rat guard in the head with a pistol, but this is like literally the opening cutscene.

I’d say it peaks even before that when a major city gets nuked

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

Is nobody really playing Mafia? It's like, a really well fuckin' done straight up remake of the original game. The accents are hilarious, but it's a ton of fun and really pulls at the nostalgia strings. I even did the infamous race mission and it was a lot more manageable and fun!

this went right past me, thanks for the reminder.

I actually started Mafia 3 the other day for the first time and must say so far I enjoy it much more as Mafia 2 despite it's obvious issues that are still there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evoland Legendary Edition: AI0BT-$2AA5-HFBHX

Replace $ with W

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 25, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cardiovorax posted:

The what president?

It's a word for that thing where someone from the real world goes through a portal or whatever and enters a fantastical world and has to operate there. In NNK2 this happens to the young, sexy president of the USA.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

HopperUK posted:

It's a word for that thing where someone from the real world goes through a portal or whatever and enters a fantastical world and has to operate there. In NNK2 this happens to the young, sexy president of the USA.

Transporting to the anime world made him young and sexy, he looked pretty middle age when his city got nuked.

Again this is like the first 5 minutes of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Oh, neat. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know there was a special word for that scenario.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

QuarkJets posted:

Evoland Legendary Edition: AI0BT-$2AA5-HFBHX

Replace $ with W

This was taken already.

I made a topic on steam forums but got this instead.
It seems the voting theft thing is a widely spread problem.

quote:

This topic is awaiting analysis by our automated content check system. It will be temporarily hidden until we verify that it does not contain harmful content (e.g. links to websites that attempt to steal information).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm surprised it took this long for the Steam connect thing to result in this much account stealing.

It's a completely valid technical solution to tell users "check and double check you are logging into a real connection at third party sites and log in at steampowered first if you have any doubt." But that's ignoring a lot of how people use the internet.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

During the early lockdown days, I played it obsessively including most of the DLC which was pretty much a huge grindfest. It is a huge game, and to me $15 is a great price for it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, neat. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know there was a special word for that scenario.

the genre's been thriving more than ever in recent years, which is probably not much of a surprise

ni no kuni 2 is also very bad past the 90 minutes of its opening (and starts to falter hard even during that), don't be tempted by its ghibli-esque wiles

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

During the early lockdown days, I played it obsessively including most of the DLC which was pretty much a huge grindfest. It is a huge game, and to me $15 is a great price for it

Is the hack/slash/loot/exploration enough to carry me in this game? Most people say its fun, some people say it's terrible/shallow. I'm not expecting Monster Hunter level technicality, but the game clips I've seen remind me of Rogue Galaxy, which I enjoyed a lot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zedprime posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for the Steam connect thing to result in this much account stealing.

It's a completely valid technical solution to tell users "check and double check you are logging into a real connection at third party sites and log in at steampowered first if you have any doubt." But that's ignoring a lot of how people use the internet.

There were still people frothing with anger that Steam "forced" them to use a smartphone for 2FA. The guy who made one of the major card idle programs ceased support for it for that reason.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Morter posted:

Is the hack/slash/loot/exploration enough to carry me in this game? Most people say its fun, some people say it's terrible/shallow. I'm not expecting Monster Hunter level technicality, but the game clips I've seen remind me of Rogue Galaxy, which I enjoyed a lot.
It's legitimately kind of both, so it's hard to really say which end of the spectrum you'll fall on before you try it. I think the two hour return period will give you a decent idea of the game, but I personally didn't start disliking it until I got to the Sea City part of the game, which is also where I stopped playing.

If you are at all doubtful, I recommend that you do not spend the money. It probably would end up being a disappointment to you.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

There were still people frothing with anger that Steam "forced" them to use a smartphone for 2FA. The guy who made one of the major card idle programs ceased support for it for that reason.

I honestly couldn't afford a smartphone when it launched, and the best I could when I did was a damned Windows phone. Not a huge thing, given I didn't work the marketplace, but still frustrating.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I still don't have a smartphone, gotta guard my account with my trusty club and pile of rocks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
When I first activated 2FA on Steam a few years back, the window that popped up with the recovery code was blank where the alphanumeric code should have been. Customer support fixed it after a couple of days but my butthole sure was puckered while I sorted it out, lemme tell you.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How does the FFXIV free time deal work? Is it just create an S-E account or is it linked to Steam? I remember making use of the 14-day trial thing on my Steam account a couple years ago, so maybe I'm not elegible for that?

Edit: Nevermind, you have to download a specific client for the free trial.

Azran fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Azran posted:

How does the FFXIV free time deal work? Is it just create an S-E account or is it linked to Steam? I remember making use of the 14-day trial thing on my Steam account a couple years ago, so maybe I'm not elegible for that?

If you never got the game or activated it in your account you should be able to do the free trial? Trial hasn't had a time limit in a long while, but if you ever had a sub, that account can't go back to using the trial.

/edit:

Azran posted:

Edit: Nevermind, you have to download a specific client for the free trial.
You mean on steam? The Steam and Squeenix stores are separate for FF14, so whichever client you're using/creating the account on, you're gonna have to buy the game/expacs on there if you don't want to start over (and steam has way better prices for ff14 for our region)

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 25, 2020