Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone pointed out that basically all of the voice cast (maybe not Shaxs and T'ana) could very easily play their characters in live action if done up with appropriate hair and makeup, they all look just like them, and now I kinda want a one-off.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Alchenar posted:

In this episode we finally came full circle and had Boimler (under Mariner's influence) say that he doesn't like the senior officers and how they act.

I didn't get that impression at all? Wasn't Boimler's speech all about how the senior officers are only human and yeah they gently caress up and don't tell the lower decks anything but they're Starfleet damnit and they're trying their best, etc etc etc?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

MikeJF posted:

They seem to be explicitly trying to sell the point that the Enterprise crew specifically are minor celebs in Starfleet because they're the flagship and peak of starfleet and they have so many ridiculous adventures, and that everyone follows them and their weekly shenanigans. Which makes sense, it's already well established Enterprises are legendary.

I understand that's what they're going for but it's just kind of trite for me because, again, there have been galaxy moving events since TNG concluded and so far all we've gotten is "oh man Dr. Crusher was having ghost sex one time". I think my issue with them is that after a decade of youtube and fanmade series of stuff where those types of references were the norm I'm let down by them being in a series like this because, presumably, you have actual writers with talent and poo poo that can write stuff with more depth than "hey, you watched TOS right? I watched TOS, remember that one episode where x happened?".

On a separate thing, Rutherford needs more time in the spotlight, an entire episode that is just 1 mission going tits up every other minute because his implant keeps doing weird things sounds like a winner to me

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Someone pointed out that basically all of the voice cast (maybe not Shaxs and T'ana) could very easily play their characters in live action if done up with appropriate hair and makeup, they all look just like them, and now I kinda want a one-off.

T'Ana would probably be mocap CG so her actor could easily do it. Poor Fred Tatasciore though. Guy has amazing range and huge booming voice but sadly can't pull off a 7 foot tall brick shithouse Bajoran.

Now Dwayne Johnson on the other hand...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I didn't get that impression at all? Wasn't Boimler's speech all about how the senior officers are only human and yeah they gently caress up and don't tell the lower decks anything but they're Starfleet damnit and they're trying their best, etc etc etc?

'Hey it turns out we're all flawed' is the antithesis of the notion that Boimler is trying to get from point A to point B. If both point A and point B are flawed then Boimler doesn't need to change in any specific direction, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing and try his hardest in a general sense.

Individually they're both okay messages for a show to have, but is Boimler on an arc to trying to get promoted to the Upper Decks, or is he on an arc to becoming jaded and cynical like Mariner? (it being a 22min comedy cartoon he doesn't actually need to substantively change, but on the rare episodes where he has a character arc, what is the direction of that arc supposed to be?)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
TV IV › Modern Star Trek Megathread: @ me when deuceman is threadbanned

pls make it real
mods
pls

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Alchenar posted:

'Hey it turns out we're all flawed' is the antithesis of the notion that Boimler is trying to get from point A to point B. If both point A and point B are flawed then Boimler doesn't need to change in any specific direction, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing and try his hardest in a general sense.

Individually they're both okay messages for a show to have, but is Boimler on an arc to trying to get promoted to the Upper Decks, or is he on an arc to becoming jaded and cynical like Mariner? (it being a 22min comedy cartoon he doesn't actually need to substantively change, but on the rare episodes where he has a character arc, what is the direction of that arc supposed to be?)

I'd say Boimler's arc is one of the middle path, of trying to get promoted to Upper Decks while realising that Starfleet (and by extension its rules, regulations, and senior staff) aren't as perfect and rigid as he thinks they are, while avoiding Mariner's deep cynicism. Mariner has the same arc but from the opposite direction (realising that being an officer isn't as stuck up and boring as she thinks it is and/or maturing into a place where calming down a bit is fine), which is why they're often paired together.

But tbh the show veers abruptly into the characters learning these lessons, then soft-resets for the next episode because it's more like a classic sitcom which requires its characters to become unchanged and/or slowly Flanderize

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

high res backgrounds here:

https://www.startrek.com/gallery/virtual-scenes-zoom-star-trek-lower-decks/star-trek-lower-decks-virtual-background-1552/27

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'd say Boimler's arc is one of the middle path, of trying to get promoted to Upper Decks while realising that Starfleet (and by extension its rules, regulations, and senior staff) aren't as perfect and rigid as he thinks they are, while avoiding Mariner's deep cynicism. Mariner has the same arc but from the opposite direction (realising that being an officer isn't as stuck up and boring as she thinks it is and/or maturing into a place where calming down a bit is fine), which is why they're often paired together.

But tbh the show veers abruptly into the characters learning these lessons, then soft-resets for the next episode because it's more like a classic sitcom which requires its characters to become unchanged and/or slowly Flanderize

I think this is reasonable and probably more likely to be right in terms of the show's intent than my options, I would say that the problem is not that there's resets between episodes, it's that at the end of multiple episodes Mariner gets rewarded for her behaviour/suffers no consequences and is actually reinforced (or you would expect her to be) into her bad behaviours, while paying lip service to the notion that maybe one day she might think about changing. Also if this were the intent then we should be seeing Mariner and Boimler getting themselves into trouble and having their counterpart rescue them on a rough parity in order to show they're both growing and learning from each other, which is absolutely not what's happening.

And as much as I'd like this, it still leaves us with the problem that as much as I love them and their voice actors, Tendi and Rutherford aren't real characters, they're malleable props for jokes. Example; was Tendi's martial arts mastery mentioned before that scene, and do you expect it to ever come up again? If we're being totally honest, is it more likely that we will see a later episode where the writers completely forgot that they made Tendi capable of this (just as Rutherford's combat abilities lasted for the that one scene in that one episode for the joke)?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AntherUslessPoster posted:

TV IV › Modern Star Trek Megathread: @ me when deuceman is threadbanned

pls make it real
mods
pls

:emptyquote:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

wonder what's up with the ring around the dilithium chamber

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crusader posted:

It looks a mashup of the TNG warp core and the one from Into Darkness, which was actually a functioning particle collider of some sort if I remember correctly. The ring is probably something simmilar only with weird Trek Science.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crusader posted:

Probably same as the ring around the D's, separated out into its own component instead of inset.

Columns on the side are from the Enterprise-E, the coolant feeds:

According to McMahon the Cerritos's core is beefed up and rigged specifically to let them power external engineering projects and tasks as part of their engineering support mission.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 25, 2020

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The warp core has a beefy deuterium intake manifold with extra injectors and an intercooler for sustained high output. Not for speed, but to supply lots of power for dealing with space bullshit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's a visual design that screams that this thing is built for power and the huge space around it is something that I infer is there so that you can jury rig or set up custom power shuts to whatever your engineering project of the day is.

e: it's not just what you can see, the background implies an absolutely cavernous engineering room with a warp core that's just going up and up, far more so than any other ship. A bit of that is 'this is a cartoon, we didn't have to build a practical set' but there's definitely the sense that this is a ship built around a massive engine.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 25, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That actual fits a bit with the hull shape of the ship in a way too.

If the lower section is 80-90% engine/power core it makes some sense for it to be separated so much from the rest of the ship. It might even be modular.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CPColin posted:

Tamarians

Stewart and Winfield, at Paramount Stage 8.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

That actual fits a bit with the hull shape of the ship in a way too.

If the lower section is 80-90% engine/power core it makes some sense for it to be separated so much from the rest of the ship. It might even be modular.

McMahan said that directly in the interview, it's held away for safety reasons and arranged so it's not structurally integral to the rest of the ship.

The engineering pod has its own shuttlebay for engineering projects and hazardous materials, too. But the main bays are the two on the saucer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 25, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alchenar posted:

A bit of that is 'this is a cartoon, we didn't have to build a practical set' but there's definitely the sense that this is a ship built around a massive engine.

After looking at all of the starship interior backgrounds, it's obvious that they're rendered 3D environments that have been drawn over to better match the rest of the art. Not all of the backgrounds in this show are 3D, but any time you're looking at complex interior geometry or sweeping external vistas with correct perspective, I'm fairly certain that someone worked those up as 3D environments first.

Anyhow, back to my notion about the starship interiors. I'd be willing to bet a box of doughnuts that someone has on their hard drive, or perhaps even printed out on a board in one of the meeting rooms, a layout of the starship interiors and where it fits with the overall layout of the Cerritos.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Anyhow, back to my notion about the starship interiors. I'd be willing to bet a box of doughnuts that someone has on their hard drive, or perhaps even printed out on a board in one of the meeting rooms, a layout of the starship interiors and where it fits with the overall layout of the Cerritos.

Not only have they confirmed they have that, they're working with the Okudas to do up all the plan things and details they're worked out about the ship and scales and specs in a form they can release to fans as pretty bonus material.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MikeJF posted:

This would be an AMAZING one-off gag for something like flipping through weird universes or dimensions where they look crazy in each one, and one is just live action humans. But in each one they react in amazement at how hosed up they look, including the human versions :haw:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There was apparently a couple of mentions of how they'd like to do a Strange New Worlds crossover. Doubt it will happen, but if it did would love it if they had the SNW crew animated in Lower Decks, and then had a brief shot of them live action in the "Previously, on SNW..." intro to the next SNW episode.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Wait, Soul Food restaurant?

Do we finally have a DS9 reference? I’m surprised at how much they’re mining TNG, but not even touching the other shows. ENT should be a gold mine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They had a scene in Deep Space Nine, so it’s not the first reference.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

This episode fell back a bit in the "let's directly reference past episodes of TOS and TNG" which was unfortunate, because I liked most of it. The Rutherford scenes were great and I really like random badass Tendi shocking everyone.

I also liked that in Tendi's memories, the strike team's eyes are redacted.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
There were a lot of things to recognize hanging around in the Vulcan museum. That was pretty neat.
The only thing I didn't care for this episode was that instead of a plot the whole thing was a setup to a joke and it felt a little bit like a clip show. It was still pretty good and I enjoyed it but this is probably my least favourite way to structure a TV show episode. Doesn't matter what show it is.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Conclusions posted:

ENT should be a gold mine.

It would certainly be amusing to have them visit the planet of super-easily-offended people.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I really appreciated the ST4 style Vulcan robes the Cerritos team wore, complete with belt around the ears to hide their non-pointedness.

I wonder if there's ever going to be a joke about Tendi using her hormones to control men or if everyone is agreeing to ignore that episode of Enterprise

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

Is it too late to get in on this?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Aces High posted:

I understand that's what they're going for but it's just kind of trite for me because, again, there have been galaxy moving events since TNG concluded and so far all we've gotten is "oh man Dr. Crusher was having ghost sex one time". I think my issue with them is that after a decade of youtube and fanmade series of stuff where those types of references were the norm I'm let down by them being in a series like this because, presumably, you have actual writers with talent and poo poo that can write stuff with more depth than "hey, you watched TOS right? I watched TOS, remember that one episode where x happened?".

On a separate thing, Rutherford needs more time in the spotlight, an entire episode that is just 1 mission going tits up every other minute because his implant keeps doing weird things sounds like a winner to me

Yeah I'd like them to grow the universe rather than have everything be so self-referential.

It's like with the new Star Wars trilogy where there were hopes at the beginning that Rey really wasn't of special stock; that she was just a nobody who didn't need a patrician lineage to become a hero, like Luke in Episode IV. But nope, turns out it was still Palpatines and Skywalkers after all those years.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

Yeah I'd like them to grow the universe rather than have everything be so self-referential.

Yeah "Starbase 80" and "The Choo-Choo Dance" are far funnier than any TNG name drops.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Crusader posted:

Someone liked it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just rewatched it — did anyone mention how the tablet of honor or whatever that everything was supposed to be inscribed on looks like it’s written in cuneiform?

:lol: “You only paid for twenty two minutes”

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mokinokaro posted:

Is it too late to get in on this?

Yes but I queued you anyway since you're the only person who I think has asked about it since the Sunday cutoff!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

esperterra posted:

Yes but I queued you anyway since you're the only person who I think has asked about it since the Sunday cutoff!

The human, the myth, the legend.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Just rewatched it — did anyone mention how the tablet of honor or whatever that everything was supposed to be inscribed on looks like it’s written in cuneiform?

:lol: “You only paid for twenty two minutes”

On a rewatch I think the line that made me laugh the hardest was "...he's always making wine......"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Probably same as the ring around the D's, separated out into its own component instead of inset.

Columns on the side are from the Enterprise-E, the coolant feeds:

According to McMahon the Cerritos's core is beefed up and rigged specifically to let them power external engineering projects and tasks as part of their engineering support mission.

Every time I see a warp core I think about how nobody ever remarks on the sheer insanity of having a matter-antimatter reaction happening right next to people working. There isn't even a wall.

I guess it's a situation where if something goes wrong it doesn't matter how many walls you're behind anyway. But it still feels like operating a nuclear reactor from inside the reactor.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Like I get 80s TV budget restraints and stuff, but it’s funny how tiny the D engine room set looks nowadays.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Veritas" may be the best episode of the series yet.

Also, Rutherford's full name is Samanthan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

HD DAD posted:

Like I get 80s TV budget restraints and stuff, but it’s funny how tiny the D engine room set looks nowadays.

:mad: it's got two levels and an elevator, what more do you need.

although if you look at the floorplan/blueprints of the enterprise-d set, you can tell that that workspace they sometimes have a scene in near the back of engineering -- that's just the hallway set, sometimes with movable walls put in to block off the corridor.