Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Athena's call is the best and it's not really close. The uptime is just ridiculous (50% higher than poseidon/ares uptime at epic level 1 and increases significantly with pom levels) and the damage is usually comparable to or better to poseidon's.

Like a level 3 epic athena call lasts something like 15 seconds to poseidon's/ares' 7.2. It's just ridiculous. Poseidon's my second favorite but Athena's just on another level.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

well speaking of blade rift:

was getting 2500 damage combos on the final boss

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

No Wave posted:

Athena's call is the best and it's not really close. The uptime is just ridiculous (50% higher than poseidon/ares uptime at epic level 1 and increases significantly with pom levels) and the damage is usually comparable to or better to poseidon's.

Like a level 3 epic athena call lasts something like 15 seconds to poseidon's/ares' 7.2. It's just ridiculous. Poseidon's my second favorite but Athena's just on another level.

The counterpoint is that Poseidon cuts the fight in way more than half, though, and also actually gets massively more powerful single-bar invocations (since he has a boon that extends the duration by a whole second -- so if you have say, a 1.2 duration on base, it becomes 2.2, at which point you effectively have more than a maximum call's worth of effect but in small, partitioned increments that let you dictate the terms of engagement). So his uptime isn't much lower, but the effect is a lot meaner.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Transient People posted:

Idle thought: There's no discussion that Poseidon has the best Call, right? I'm trying to think of arguments for the others and I just can't see them. It's an invulnerability call that does minimum 600 damage per bar and potentially like 1.8k (again: per bar, NOT a full charge), which also happens to be a stupid good room clearer if you have to use it on mobs. You're getting damage that massively eclipses Aphrodite's with the safety of Athena, it just seems way, way too good compared to all the others.

Poseidon is good if you want your call to both make you invulnerable and also deal damage for you, without needing much support other than poms. If you can afford support boons, Ares probably does more with his legendary (but a full bar). If you just want tank, Athena is better; especially if your dps is in your attacks. If you don't want either, and rather just want debuffs, dps spikes, or whatever, that's what the others are for.

The calls are fairly well balanced against each other, the game is a lot about long term strategic builds and so comparing straight numbers isn't very valid.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

well speaking of blade rift:

was getting 2500 damage combos on the final boss

How did you nail him with the spell casts? When I try Ares' casts against him he just walks right past them and they end up not dealing much damage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Aphrodite/Zeus boon that charges your gauge incredibly quick + Poseidon call was probably the easiest run I've had. Anything else I did was irrelevant.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Elman posted:

How did you nail him with the spell casts? When I try Ares' casts against him he just walks right past them and they end up not dealing much damage.

Engulfing Vortex sticks to enemies.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The only really sword build I've completed the game with was one in which the game made it super easy to go all in on special. Every run since falls to pieces in Elysium or Styx, wherever I first run into a loving nightmare mix of armored enemies. If that doesn't happen, it'll happen vs Hades. This past run fell to pieces when Hades summoned chariots. I struggle to manage them in that fight. Hades spinning everywhere and throwing skulls around while I'm being pursued by a chariot that I can barely damage is just too much.

I struggle so hard to get any meaningful damage with the sword. Should I pick either attack or special and go all in? That's the ONLY time sword worked out for me, because like I said, the only time I had success was by going all in on special.

Maybe RNG is just giving me poo poo boon choices when I pick sword. Maybe I'm awful at picking boons for sword. I don't know. I feel like I'm missing something because I don't have major problems (yet) with any other weapon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You have to dash more with the sword than other weapons. The third (maybe fourth? i forget) sword hit (the thrust) is basically a trap which is why there's a hammer that buffs it by something like 300% damage.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 25, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's also a hammer that removes the thrust entirely. It's really bad.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kuros posted:

Engulfing Vortex sticks to enemies.

Does it? I thought it pulled them in but that doesn't work on bosses.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thinking about getting this but not sure if on pc or switch? Can anyone help me out here or are they both fine and it’s just preference

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Thinking about getting this but not sure if on pc or switch? Can anyone help me out here or are they both fine and it’s just preference

They're both fine but if you can swing it on a 1440p 144hz monitor it looks like absolute silk.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I managed to get my Dodge to something close to 50% through Hermes' trinket, a high rarity Dodge boon from him, and fists for speedy clearing. First escape so far where I didn't die at all.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Wildtortilla posted:

The only really sword build I've completed the game with was one in which the game made it super easy to go all in on special. Every run since falls to pieces in Elysium or Styx, wherever I first run into a loving nightmare mix of armored enemies. If that doesn't happen, it'll happen vs Hades. This past run fell to pieces when Hades summoned chariots. I struggle to manage them in that fight. Hades spinning everywhere and throwing skulls around while I'm being pursued by a chariot that I can barely damage is just too much.

I struggle so hard to get any meaningful damage with the sword. Should I pick either attack or special and go all in? That's the ONLY time sword worked out for me, because like I said, the only time I had success was by going all in on special.

Maybe RNG is just giving me poo poo boon choices when I pick sword. Maybe I'm awful at picking boons for sword. I don't know. I feel like I'm missing something because I don't have major problems (yet) with any other weapon.

To be fair, Zag sword is weak compared to the other aspects. If you have the blood, try Nemesis aspect as on demand crits for your attack is quite nice.

As mentioned earlier, the attack hammers for sword are much better than the special hammers. Shadow Slash, Piercing Wave, Breaching Slash and Double Edge are all good choices. Cursed Slash and Hoarding Slash are more situational.

I typically don't bother with the Thrust part of the attack combo. Dash Strike > Attack > Attack > Special takes out many enemies. Against armored enemies, I'll take out the Special ending until the armor is removed and just dash away from the enemy attack.

Good attack boons would be: Aphrodite, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Zeus. Dionysus is okay, but it can be hard to stack hangover with the sword. Ares is decent for burst damage. Poseidon is actually bad on sword attack IMO since you want the enemy to stay in place for the combo. However, putting Poseidon on the Special is nice since it makes for a good "Get off me!" move.

Take advantage of Privileged Status and Boiling Blood as much as possible with Sword since you're so up close.

Elman posted:

Does it? I thought it pulled them in but that doesn't work on bosses.

From what I remember it will stick to Hades as he walks around. Not so much when he's attacking though.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 25, 2020

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Elman posted:

the demeter duo makes it move slower which makes it a lot easier

he also has a few attacks where he stands still for at least a few seconds and can eat a ton of hits

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Ads are easy in that fight, just stay out of the big guy's spin range and he can't touch you while you clear them out.

I was thinking of the adds in Extreme Measures which are honestly the hardest part about it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The bow aspect that makes the special seek is silly. I'm on Heat 7 with it compared to heat 3~ for everything else, and there's barely a difference in difficulty change. Although I just pick whatever weapon has the darkness boon.

Post-game is a little slow for my taste. Side characters quests take forever to unlock. I have most characters in the game at the little gated quest heart and it's just dumb when none of them activate post-run.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah to be honest I wish heat levels moved faster or weren't weapon-dependent. I'm loving the game but I'm not a fan of needing to go through every single heat level on every single weapon (unless you wanna "main" a weapon, but I don't). I've been playing the post-game for a while but I'm still only on heat 3-4 which is barely a noticeable difference and still not enough to open the Erebus gates.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Elman posted:

Yeah to be honest I wish heat levels moved faster or weren't weapon-dependent. I'm loving the game but I'm not a fan of needing to go through every single heat level on every single weapon (unless you wanna "main" a weapon, but I don't). I've been playing the post-game for a while but I'm still only on heat 3-4 which is barely a noticeable difference and still not enough to open the Erebus gates.

You can just play on higher heat and it will backfill the rewards - you get the rewards for the lowest heat level you have done yet with that weapon

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah just go play on Heat 5 or 10, there's no reason to slow-walk it if you're specifically looking for the challenge.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wafflecopper posted:

You can just play on higher heat and it will backfill the rewards - you get the rewards for the lowest heat level you have done yet with that weapon

Is this new? It didn't used to backfill rewards

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I should try that. Still, the whole point is rewarding you for increasing the difficulty so it feels like it should reward you when you push yourself like that. I guess that's what Erebus gates are for.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Megasabin posted:

The bow aspect that makes the special seek is silly. I'm on Heat 7 with it compared to heat 3~ for everything else, and there's barely a difference in difficulty change. Although I just pick whatever weapon has the darkness boon.

Post-game is a little slow for my taste. Side characters quests take forever to unlock. I have most characters in the game at the little gated quest heart and it's just dumb when none of them activate post-run.

Yeah Chiron Bow is straight up OP. I just had a complete no-death run with it on Heat 10 where I had Demeter Freeze on it boosting damage to lik e120%, hermes special, chaos special, when chill stacks reach 10 they explode, etc. The only that nearly hosed me up is at Styx I took that Anvil that takes away a Hammer and gives you 2 random hammer, one it gave the +4 Special which was woo, the other was it made charging Attack take 3x as long and i was like gently caress so it nearly ruined it but still so insane that Hades just melted.

Following that run I gave the Hidden Beowolf Shield Aspect a run and oh my god that thing loving SUCKED jesus. It was easily one of my sloggiest runs that I didn't have fun playing with at all. Fortunately I still beat dad but that's just because Shield is straight up OP on dad because you can block everything, get a poke in, block, poke indefinitely. I was mostly getting Dionysus boons which didn't match at all for the shield because it's low attack and some other kinda lovely boons, although I had the boon that dropped Festive Fog where I shield-dashed to and that was pretty dece for the regular levels but it would usually always pop behind dad and miss each time unless I baited him into a wall which I mostly had to do was block -> bait -> dash ith festive -> block repeat. I don't want to say it's a BAD aspect but man it was not fun at all.

Kinda seems like they wanted a Hera Bow but in Shield Variety and it just doesn't work. Maybe there's a hammer that boosts the charge time but it always drops an atatck first and then starts charging and there's a lot of openings to get hit, and it just felt bad also having to run around and wait for Fog stones to expire and grab them again and do it again. Granted this was at lvl2 but I vastly vastly prefered Chaos Shield or Zeus-spinner Aspect with it, they're just way way more fun.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 25, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

They're both fine but if you can swing it on a 1440p 144hz monitor it looks like absolute silk.

I can! Thanks for the help, buying on pc today then

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i got the charged shield hammer and aphrodite cast with beowulf and everything loving exploded by the end, it was a choice between a 700 dmg long-range hit or a 1500 damage close-range one

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

Is this new? It didn't used to backfill rewards

You mis-understand. If you're on a heat 3 weapon, and you set the heat to 10, you're going to get all the rewards for heat 3 that you already haven't gotten. You do not get the rewards for heats 3-10.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't actually understand how beo shield worked. It's a lot like Hera bow where you load it with casts. I slogged through a heat 1 run with it without understanding the mechanic. It's probably a reasonable weapon but it's not what I want out of the game.

Zag shield is my favorite for sure. 60% more attack damage is what I want out of shield.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

You mis-understand. If you're on a heat 3 weapon, and you set the heat to 10, you're going to get all the rewards for heat 3 that you already haven't gotten. You do not get the rewards for heats 3-10.

I figured you get only the current heat rewards of your weapon (except 0 heat I think), but I found it incredibly funny that the gauge gets really upset if you load it up too far.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boy I wish I'd understood that you don't get all the weapon aspects active at once, so I wouldn't have spread all my bloods around on one weapon, and had instead focused on one aspect.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
If you've just found out you can't be far into the game, titan blood is pretty easy to come by. Each successful run with a new heat level will give you 2 blood at least, and blood upgrades are less impactful than a good boon and a lot less compared to most hammer upgrades.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Still salty that Daedalus isn't the House Contractor, with Daedalus Hammers being Hephaestus Hammers (he could give you dialog when you pick one up and choose an upgrade).

Also the fountains should have been hearths, with Hestia giving you healing.

Absolutely immaculate otherwise though. As usual, Supergiant delivers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah it won't be long before you're drowning in blood.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
If they ever make an expansion/DLC/whatever, they should make Hera the final boss of it.
And set it up so if you try to use a Greater Zeus Call against her, she actually goes loving ballistic and gets like a 500% Attack Damage buff for the rest of the fight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wouldn't expect a DLC, Supergiant has been pretty clear that the game is 'done' (beyond bugfixes/mild balance changes) and they don't have a history of releasing DLC outside that one bonus level for Bastion years ago.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I know, but still it's odd Hera isn't in this at all, plus that would be hilarious.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TravelLog posted:

Still salty that Daedalus isn't the House Contractor, with Daedalus Hammers being Hephaestus Hammers (he could give you dialog when you pick one up and choose an upgrade).

Also the fountains should have been hearths, with Hestia giving you healing.

I read some Q&A where they addressed that, apparently they didn't want every single item to speak to you as you pick it up. I guess that's a fair point, though I agree I'd prefer Hephaestus instead.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

almost to the world 3 boss and the game has only given me 4 boons......

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Wow, it blows my mind that someone wouldn't like the Beowulf shield aspect. That thing is fun as gently caress if you put any thought into your build. You really have to work around the charge and cast though because the regular attack is slow as molasses. I've said this before, but with a couple of decent boons it's kind of like playing Vanguard on Mass Effect 2-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

SKULL.GIF posted:

Curse of Longing is one of the stronger Duo boons but I found it actually lead to some bad play on my part trying to keep Weak up constantly instead of just continuing to play normally.

If you get that one blessing from Aphrodite that extends the duration of Weak, then THAT'S game winning with CoL.

Quoting from pages back because I just finished a run with this loadout on the bow and it was definitely game winning. I got weak on attack and hammer upgrades that gave me rapid fire shots that bounced between enemies (although it removed the charged shot). Doom on special with tons of pom power so I just alternated between the two rapidly which generally kept both debuffs on the entire room. I finished with all my DDs intact and didn't even take damage from Hades until he started busting out the mega lasers near the end of the fight.