Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

OctaMurk posted:

The pope can literally buy every single mercenary company in the game, and does. He floats 100k+ gold on the regular. If you can beat the pope, you have "won" the game because youre now unstoppable.

I beat the Pope by buying all 1000+ merc companies, and then extending them for another 3 years. But I'm also a Pope.

e: guys want only one thing and its disgusting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Blimpkin posted:

I beat the Pope by buying all 1000+ merc companies, and then extending them for another 3 years. But I'm also a Pope.

I think I need to lie down for a bit.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Seems like you can't use the Decision to Consecrate Bloodline if you have the "Humble" Trait..

Which seems to be a oversight, give me 200 stress, but don't deny me use options like this..
Especially not when I use so much time to gain piety, just to be denied it.
Don't put it in the major decision options for my character if he can't ever use it, duh...

Now.. what else can i use 2500 piety for... Mhmmm...

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Figure I'll ask again: I'm trying to make a mod to add some new names (given and dynasty names) to a culture. Do I have to include them alphabetically, either in the culture files or the localization files? Or can I just throw them in at the end of the big list?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Digital Osmosis posted:

Figure I'll ask again: I'm trying to make a mod to add some new names (given and dynasty names) to a culture. Do I have to include them alphabetically, either in the culture files or the localization files? Or can I just throw them in at the end of the big list?

I don't think anyone here knows.

Have you just tried putting them at the end?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Descar posted:

Seems like you can't use the Decision to Consecrate Bloodline if you have the "Humble" Trait..

Which seems to be a oversight, give me 200 stress, but don't deny me use options like this..
Especially not when I use so much time to gain piety, just to be denied it.
Don't put it in the major decision options for my character if he can't ever use it, duh...

Now.. what else can i use 2500 piety for... Mhmmm...

Humble and content both kill that decision

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If you stack up MAA bonuses you can likely beat the pope with 2, preferably 3 duchies if you have all fully manned MAA regiments. They're that good.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azhais posted:

I don't think the Pope's mercs come from the same pool. He routinely gets more mercs than every company on the list I have access to has in total. And it's not like the mercenaries in my tab have all been hired out.

Aren't all merc pools region-based, though? This might be trivially true without needing some special hack for the Pope (though that leads to the question "are all the regional pools the same depth?")

Digital Osmosis posted:

I don't know for sure but there's never been much in Paradox modding that relied on ordering within a file or a list, assuming none of the entries are duplicates, so throwing them in at the end should be fine.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
My idiot firstborn ended up as a courtier in Mongolia and I can't even disinherit the guy in favor of his better brothers because he's out of diplomatic range. It would be nice if you could disinherit people outside range, but on the other hand it's gonna be fun when he comes back as Wendish Emperor after being gone 50 years and tries to bring the good news of Srikula Shaktism to the Slvovanska.

Game owns.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Digital Osmosis posted:

They have to go in both the localization files and culture files. Order doesn't matter.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
If anyone wants a start where you easily can expand I can recommend Novgorod in the 1066 start. You are either second or third in line to many of the neighboring kingdoms and can murder your way to the crown quite fast. I also went with the force vasallizing perk which means you can eat the small duchies in one war. It took me like 20 years to go from being duke of Novgorod to emperor of Russia.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think anyone here knows.

Have you just tried putting them at the end?

I was afraid I'd gently caress something up, I guess. Just tried it. Doesn't work with a new name at the end. Doesn't work with a new name inserted alphabetically. Doesn't work if I delete every name but dynn_Test and Test as a first name (which I then defined in the localization files.)

I feel like I'm missing something here, lol. Maybe the "religious name" thing?

Edit: The religion file has a section called "Reserved names" but those are all first names, not dynasty names. No idea why I'd keep getting the usual dynasty names when I deleted everything but "dynn_Test." Hmmm.... maybe I have to gently caress with the other members of the cultural group?

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 25, 2020

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im noticing as I expand my bishop is automatically given all temple holdings. Should I revoke some of their titles and spread them out to other guys or let one dude run every church?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Azhais posted:

Humble and content both kill that decision

The worst part is that's not listed in the requirements for it, just when you try and click it. Really should be there just to be clear to the player.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Gaj posted:

Im noticing as I expand my bishop is automatically given all temple holdings. Should I revoke some of their titles and spread them out to other guys or let one dude run every church?

Wait for him to get old and fabricate a hook on him. He likely will have a couple thousand gold, and you can banish him to take it all.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Oh so I can just banish him, I dont need the lifestyle choice to be able to extort him?
When I build stuff in baronies, some of the buildings are blue, and others gold. What does this mean?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 25, 2020

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Jasus Christ posted:

Word. I will try 1066 then, and maybe someday I will come back to my hovel in Munster 867 to conquer the known world.

The 1066 Bohemia start is also pretty newbie friendly. You can rush to having a Kingdom very quickly, and you'll also be protected by the HRE until you are ready to declare independence/take the throne for yourself. If you get bored of Ireland, I'd recommend that start because it is pretty fun.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Gaj posted:

Oh so I can just banish him, I dont need the lifestyle choice to be able to extort him?

You'll incur some tyranny, but yeah you just need the hook to be able to make sure you imprison.

sorry for the phone screenshot, but I just so happened to have one handy in my chats

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 25, 2020

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Gaj posted:

I don't know about revoking titles, but I notice that it seems worthwhile to build lots of temples and get the bishop to like you bc he'll give you a much larger cut of taxes than each individual piddling stupid greedy vassal. loving vassals.

I landed one of my kinsmen and he immediately set about waging war on his much more powerful neighbor for a de jure county he wanted. Continually losing. He has earned himself the nickname "The Foolish" now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Caustic Soda posted:

1) Menopause starts at 46. Even before that, women's fertility drops off much faster than men's. See here for more details: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Attributes#Fertility

The numbers on male fertility are.. uh... Okay, I haven't found a great deal of credible hard numbers but the game certainly seem optimistic about retirement-age fathers.

The Mongols and plagues are a complete joke right now compared to CK2. Temujin needs at least 100k troops to not just evaporate immediately (due to attrition?). I don't even know if they're immune like event troops in CK2, which was a different flavour of bullshit.

Lastly, I managed to get High Partition and... it seems just as lovely as regular or confederate? The docs are useless because the lions share is nonsense. Between three heirs the younger two were getting as many kingdoms and more counties (each, not total) despite my having already granted them their own kingdoms and full duchies. The only solution i found was to move my capital to my best duchy, which I was reluctant to at first because it's not of my culture yet, but I guess it doesn't matter much.

OctaMurk posted:

The pope can literally buy every single mercenary company in the game, and does. He floats 100k+ gold on the regular. If you can beat the pope, you have "won" the game because youre now unstoppable.

In my game, the Catholic empires are weak and pitiful even though Francia was a huge blob around 1000 and the pope got his rear end kicked by Muslim and Orthodox invaders. The one crusade he called was against Lollards in England and failed miserably.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Is there a way to raise a specific number of troops? It is driving me mad "raising all levies" then splitting repeatedly and disbanding if I only need like 3K guys (out of 30K) to take an OPM.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TravelLog posted:

Is there a way to raise a specific number of troops? It is driving me mad "raising all levies" then splitting repeatedly and disbanding if I only need like 3K guys (out of 30K) to take an OPM.

Ctrl click will move whatever is there rather than continue waiting for more to show up. I just raise local, get the instant maa pop, then ctrl click to the capital

feller
Jul 5, 2006

TravelLog posted:

If you set multiple rally points, you can raise local troops which is way less depending on how many points you have set

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Are horse archers still terrible? Was thinking about starting a new run of an Eastern hoard invasion.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

eXXon posted:

In my game, the Catholic empires are weak and pitiful even though Francia was a huge blob around 1000 and the pope got his rear end kicked by Muslim and Orthodox invaders. The one crusade he called was against Lollards in England and failed miserably.

In my current game I'm probably all that's keeping Catholicism together. We had successful crusades for Jerusalem, Syria and Northern Spain, but we just got loving rolled for a crusade against Waldenism and the Kingdom of Italy. I think it's basically just me (king of Brittany although I hold almost all of Western France), and the king of West Francia left as the true Catholic powers.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

TravelLog posted:

Alongside ctrl clicking to stop an army from from refilling you can also click the button next to split which will allow you to choose exactly which levies, knights and men at arms to move to the new army.

Useful for creating an army with just siege units and enough levies to overwhelm garrisons, or forming an army of just one annoying vassal knight to send to the meat grinder.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Something that's probably getting fixed in the next patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klLL806H8YI

TLDR: You can cancel your vassal's construction projects and get the money refunded to you instead of them.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Blimpkin posted:

:sickos:

ElectronicOldMen posted:

This is young Sadri today:

Keep in mind this is without the bonus skillpoints from friendships because it just became too annoying to constantly be befriending.

Before him the Empire reached as far as Egypt, so he focussed his ambitions on Europe.
Several Great Purification Wars and an invasion of Byzantine later and he has remade the world in his image:

His heir is a genius, herculean, beautiful, fecund giant. But honestly I am thinking of simply granting all my vassals independence so that I can get the Dynasty of Many Crowns achievement.

This is pretty dope too.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
This video isn't directly related to CK3 but I thought it might make an interesting bit of dynastic scorekeeping -- there is a strictly matrilineal house that has held an astonishing number of kingdom titles in Europe, including such famous monarchs as Louis XIV, Catherine the Great, and Victoria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl4WtajjMks

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

OctaMurk posted:

If you stack up MAA bonuses you can likely beat the pope with 2, preferably 3 duchies if you have all fully manned MAA regiments. They're that good.

I'm new to this thread, but not to this game. Couldn't you plot to kidnap the Pope, and then once it's about to be successful, declare war on him, and then once he's in your dungeons, sue him for peace?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The font makes the Fellatid dynasty in the south seem very unfortunately named. Or maybe fortunately, I suppose.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm new to this thread, but not to this game. Couldn't you plot to kidnap the Pope, and then once it's about to be successful, declare war on him, and then once he's in your dungeons, sue him for peace?

Yeah if you have a high intrigue character it is the easiest way to win wars in this game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Catholicism seems to get its rear end kicked by heresies every time when I start in 867. My current game they pretty much just have the Papacy and like 5 other scattered provinces holding out. Waldensianism sure seems to be popular though.

Also man going from tribal to feudal is brutal. I thought my tribal improvements would be converted to their feudal equivalent but instead they just disappear. Suddenly neighboring realms a tenth of my size can field about 4 times as many troops. Then since you have barebones holdings AND your MaA suddenly cost way more gold to maintain your income drops to like -120/month as soon as you raise troops. It took a few generations of steward focused rulers to get back on my feet.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Looking at the requirements for creating the empire of Italy, it looks like you need to already have an empire title. How does that work? Do I need to be an emperor of something else before forming this one?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"One of the following." So normally you need 2 kingdoms, but if you're already an emperor that counts.

e: I really wish they put bullets in there instead of just insetting, especially because they're sometimes inconsistent on the spacing anyhow.

megane fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 26, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

One of the following: 2kingoms OR 1 empire

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Oh! Thanks a lot!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm pretty sure that the "titles cannot be inherited by vassals outside your realm" feature of high crown authority is straight up busted or it means something other than what I think it does. Like a game of whack a mole I've been having to fight dejure wars over territory inherited by some heir of some count in another kingdom constantly in my current game and I've had high crown authority for a three generations now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea it's broken af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Dumb question: is there a way to make a title go by its own name instead of your dynasty name?