Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

kids these days now just use gdocs as a inferior version of wave

they'll just all type in a document and that's almost like wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
One guy in our team won’t buy a new mic despite multiple people suggesting it. Trying to reconstruct what he said from the couple of vague mumbled words I can catch is a fun game every morning.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can your department not just buy a mic and deliver it to them?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Oh yeah, there’s money and mics available and I’m pretty sure his laptop has a decent built-in. He just... doesn’t use them. Luckily I don’t have much to do with him outside of standup.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

One guy in our team won’t buy a new mic despite multiple people suggesting it. Trying to reconstruct what he said from the couple of vague mumbled words I can catch is a fun game every morning.

"We need a volunteer to be responsible for Project ShitHeadache, any takers?"

Dave "hell no"
Anne "count me out"
Lisa "no way"
Guy "mumble mumble"

"Thanks Guy, good luck with those deadlines. Now onto the next topic"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hooray for my 5-6th? Fiber cut of the year!!!

This job is going to kill me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moo the cow posted:

"We need a volunteer to be responsible for Project ShitHeadache, any takers?"

Dave "hell no"
Anne "count me out"
Lisa "no way"
Guy "mumble mumble"

"Thanks Guy, good luck with those deadlines. Now onto the next topic"

:hmmyes:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
The hospital I'm contracted to switched from ServiceDesk to ServiceNow last week. There is no field for asset tag when submitting a ticket. The most I get is city and department. Great, we have 10 machines in $city radiology, which one isn't working?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure you have a very competent and responsive team custom tailoring your servicenow instance for your organization, it'll be fixed any day now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Dealing with hardware vendor support operators who are clearly working from home in India somewhere at the moment has yielded call qualities ranging from "decent" to "yelling into a potato". Family arguments in the background optional.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dealing with hardware vendor support operators who are clearly working from home in India somewhere at the moment has yielded call qualities ranging from "decent" to "yelling into a potato". Family arguments in the background optional.

I learned the Hindi phrase for "motherfucker" by overhearing some WFH helpdesk person's kid yell it at them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off: about 75% of the time when I surround a word in Teams with asterisks, it makes that word bold. The other 25%, it just leaves the asterisks there.

This is affecting production!!1!1!

EDIT: *This is affecting production!!1!1!*

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've probably asked this before... but it's finally time to do it. And in lieu of not having a dedicated VoIP thread...

Need to select a SIP trunk provider for a new branch location. Having not dealt with any other SIP provider than our corp. office ISP (who unfortunately doesn't provide SIP off their network), not sure who to go with.

Our needs are simple.. A single DID with outbound calling. Unlikely there will ever be more than 4-5 calls in progress at any given time. Don't need any bells and whistles beyond a basic SIP trunk.

I had narrowed my choices down to the ones I see most commonly recommended. FlowRoute, CallCentric, and Voip.ms. I was leaning towards Voip.ms, but only because I've seen them mentioned more. Any reason to select one or the other?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Had to call Verizon business support recently, who has been routing some calls to their "outsourced group" (India) lately due to staffing issues. I can only assume the person I was talking to had conferenced in their rooster, because it sounded like it was crowing directly into the line. I could barely hear them over chicken noises. They did solve my problem though! Or the chicken did... not really sure.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

I've probably asked this before... but it's finally time to do it. And in lieu of not having a dedicated VoIP thread...

Need to select a SIP trunk provider for a new branch location. Having not dealt with any other SIP provider than our corp. office ISP (who unfortunately doesn't provide SIP off their network), not sure who to go with.

Our needs are simple.. A single DID with outbound calling. Unlikely there will ever be more than 4-5 calls in progress at any given time. Don't need any bells and whistles beyond a basic SIP trunk.

I had narrowed my choices down to the ones I see most commonly recommended. FlowRoute, CallCentric, and Voip.ms. I was leaning towards Voip.ms, but only because I've seen them mentioned more. Any reason to select one or the other?

I use Flowroute before, they're pretty decent, callcentric feels a lot more home-service-targetted-esque. I cancelled a voip.ms after they went from PAYG refills to "you have to refill a minimum of $50 every month to stay active" type of bullshit.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

xzzy posted:

I'm sure you have a very competent and responsive team custom tailoring your servicenow instance for your organization, it'll be fixed any day now.

We have two production servicenow instances for different purposes plus sandbox/dev/test for each environment. You want a change? Hahaha good loving luck getting it into the sprint schedule for a program increment sometime in the future.

Have I mentioned that I absolutely hate agile as someone who is on an infrastructure team? Anytime any of the devs come and ask us to jump, we jump higher than they ask. When we ask to get poo poo pushed through for a server upgrade/migration or whatever? Yeah, 3+ months to even get it on the docket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

Twilio are good if you're interested in developing your own stuff at some point.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off: about 75% of the time when I surround a word in Teams with asterisks, it makes that word bold. The other 25%, it just leaves the asterisks there.

The rules are simple:

*this will be bolded*
*this will not *
* nor this*
~this will be struck through~
~this will not ~

Etc..
Editing text after already written will overwrite the logic though. So typing two asterisks then typing between those two asterisks won't bold the stuff between.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DelphiAegis posted:

The rules are simple:

*this will be bolded*
*this will not *
* nor this*
~this will be struck through~
~this will not ~

Etc..
Editing text after already written will overwrite the logic though. So typing two asterisks then typing between those two asterisks won't bold the stuff between.

This is the sentence:

code:
That's because it *is* all fine, and everything *is* working.
It didn't bold it either time (this is a C&P). I typed the sentence in again, and it bolded the first "is" but not the second one.

I didn't know about the strikethrough, though I can't imagine when you would use that in Teams...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

This is the sentence:

code:
That's because it *is* all fine, and everything *is* working.
It didn't bold it either time (this is a C&P). I typed the sentence in again, and it bolded the first "is" but not the second one.

I didn't know about the strikethrough, though I can't imagine when you would use that in Teams...

Typing that sentence out entirely bolded both words for me.
However copy/pasting the pretyped sentence as-is won't bold anything. The bold action on asterisks only looks back at live type when the asterisk is entered apparently.

And strike through is ~, italics is _, but the standard ctrl-i or ctrl-b work fine for those too. Why not be expressive? :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Have I mentioned that I absolutely hate agile as someone who is on an infrastructure team? Anytime any of the devs come and ask us to jump, we jump higher than they ask. When we ask to get poo poo pushed through for a server upgrade/migration or whatever? Yeah, 3+ months to even get it on the docket.

I'm sorry to stoke the flames but that's the exact opposite of agile. Or more specifically, the whole point is to be, well, agile, and that means being able to adapt to shifting priorities.

If your issues aren't being pushed to the front of the queue then one or more of the following things is happening:
1. Whomever is prioritising tickets on their side is bad at doing so
2. Whomever is setting the priority of your tickets is setting them too low
3. Whomever is communicating the priority of your tickets to their team isn't doing so properly, and/or the other side isn't listening
4. Whomever is communicating the priority of your tickets to their team doesn't have the political sway to be taken seriously, and the company culture supports that sort of environment
5. Your tickets genuinely aren't as important to the wider business as you think they are

I'm going to say probably a combination of 3, 4, and maybe 5.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DelphiAegis posted:

Typing that sentence out entirely bolded both words for me.
However copy/pasting the pretyped sentence as-is won't bold anything. The bold action on asterisks only looks back at live type when the asterisk is entered apparently.

And strike through is ~, italics is _, but the standard ctrl-i or ctrl-b work fine for those too. Why not be expressive? :v:

Yeah, I figured on the C&P thing, I was just saying there weren't spaces in my original.

I typed it in again, and it bolded the second "is" but not the first one. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

Had to call Verizon business support recently, who has been routing some calls to their "outsourced group" (India) lately due to staffing issues. I can only assume the person I was talking to had conferenced in their rooster, because it sounded like it was crowing directly into the line. I could barely hear them over chicken noises. They did solve my problem though! Or the chicken did... not really sure.

I was talking to someone who literally sounded like they were working in a back alley. All you could hear were trucks and mopeds and music and poo poo.

Very different over there.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm sorry to stoke the flames but that's the exact opposite of agile. Or more specifically, the whole point is to be, well, agile, and that means being able to adapt to shifting priorities.

If your issues aren't being pushed to the front of the queue then one or more of the following things is happening:
1. Whomever is prioritising tickets on their side is bad at doing so
2. Whomever is setting the priority of your tickets is setting them too low
3. Whomever is communicating the priority of your tickets to their team isn't doing so properly, and/or the other side isn't listening
4. Whomever is communicating the priority of your tickets to their team doesn't have the political sway to be taken seriously, and the company culture supports that sort of environment
5. Your tickets genuinely aren't as important to the wider business as you think they are

I'm going to say probably a combination of 3, 4, and maybe 5.

Definitely 1, 2, and 3 on the other side. They are all over improvements from the business brought in to program increment planning, but basically don’t give a poo poo about internal IT tech debt/improvements. They are also really, really bad about listening to any improvements/changes that don’t come to them from the business. If it doesn’t get into the PI, you’re SOL until the next one in 12 weeks.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Pissing me off. I can't get anyone to take the zerologon vuln seriously.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but is it basically like this?

- Even after the August patches, unless you put it in enforcement mode, any device that communicate with your DC can pwn it and get domain admin.
- If you put it in enforcement mode, any device that hasn't been patched to August can no-longer talk to your DC. This also includes Win10Pro <= 1809 and all Win7 unless you have extended support
- Come February's DC patches you get non-removable enforcement mode and all the lovely unpatched clients lose access to basic services like file shares

There's a lot of old unpatched clients (including 1703), and basically any time too many people complain about reboot prompts, we get told to disable patching, and the desktop team don't seem to give a poo poo, and have never seen it as a priority.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lum posted:

Pissing me off. I can't get anyone to take the zerologon vuln seriously.

- Even after the August patches, unless you put it in enforcement mode, any device that communicate with your DC can pwn it and get domain admin.
- If you put it in enforcement mode, any device that hasn't been patched to August can no-longer talk to your DC. This also includes Win10Pro <= 1809 and all Win7 unless you have extended support
- Come February's DC patches you get non-removable enforcement mode and all the lovely unpatched clients lose access to basic services like file shares

There's a lot of old unpatched clients (including 1703), and basically any time too many people complain about reboot prompts, we get told to disable patching, and the desktop team don't seem to give a poo poo, and have never seen it as a priority.

Lay out the concerns in an email with the end-goal of getting some kind of acknowledgement of the issue. A flat denial is even better.

Schedule PTO for deadline in February.

What until February for poo poo to explode.

Wave email in front of their faces.

Go on PTO and drink by the poolside at some resort (or at home, whatever)

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

GargleBlaster posted:

Hello yes I'm not dead (but work are trying their best)

I'd like to take a moment to rant about how, despite proving with detailed daily reports during Working From Home when the UK lockdown was in full swing that I was working flat-out from home on project work (being more productive than in the office, as no distractions), and despite a number of tech support queries resolved over the phone or via splashtop, they STILL hate WFH, STILL have the attitude of presenteeism and insisted on dragging me and the few others they grudgingly 'trusted', back into the office the second the government advice changed to "go to work if you can" in August. As of yesterday the advice u-turned again, but this time it's only "guidance" not actual law, so predictably, not a hint of going back to WFH.

It's perfectly possible to do this job from home. MILDLY inconvenient for any prolonged work via Splashtop as it's a bit sluggish but other than that it should only be necessary to nip in (it's a 6 minute drive) to move something or swap a tape or unfuck a label printer. Sitting there for 8.5 hours a day breathing each others' air is just unnecessary risk.

But the other aspect is people still, even after months of covid, even after trying to get them used to it, seem to hate going to the 'effort' of letting IT talk them through something over the phone, and still jump straight to "can you come and have a look". They still have that attitude that they don't say out loud but can "hear" in their tone, that you're being lazy and awkward by not trekking across the factory to go stand over their shoulder.

Classic example earlier. Sat in office, internal call.
:v: "Computer's being odd, can you come and have a look?"
:raise: "No, I can consult over the telephone first. Can you elaborate on 'being odd' at all?"
:v: "Hmff.. grr.. I don't know!! It just has this blue thing?"
:raise: "What kind of blue thing?"
:v: "*sigh* I don't know there's all this gobbledegook.. it says at the top something about B I O S"
:eng101: "Remove whatever is sat on your F1 key and press escape"
:v: "Oh I think it's doing the microsoft thing now... okay thanks"

See, is it really that hard? Do we really need to be risking spreading covid around because people literally need their hands holding when dealing with a PC? Let us work from home you fucktards. I have every sympathy and respect for people who CAN'T work from home, but for those of us who can... why not?

This!

My company has three locations: A, B and C. I work at A, and only go to B or C when it's required. So, B and C are completely used to being supported remotely. A is used to shouting over the cupboard for me to come when there's a problem. I started discouraging this behavior by shouting back "What's the problem?". Sometimes, they just replied with "just come" and were surprised by my answer of "No". I had to explain to them that I'm usually in the middle of something, I can fix most things from my computer and that they needed to give me some idea on how critical/urgent it was.

When the lockdown hit in March, we went to WFH for everybody if possible. WFH went over without a glitch; and users from location A learned to use screenshots, screen sharing, remote support, etc. to solve their IT issues. Then, when the lockdown was being slowly phased out, one group of users insisted I come into the office because "that was easier to communicate" (= shout over the cupboard). I overheard one of these users talking about his lockdown BBQ with his soccer friends during the weekend.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Sell the backhoe, dude

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Lay out the concerns in an email with the end-goal of getting some kind of acknowledgement of the issue. A flat denial is even better.

Schedule PTO for deadline in February.

What until February for poo poo to explode.

Wave email in front of their faces.

Go on PTO and drink by the poolside at some resort (or at home, whatever)

Honestly tempting, but no other fucker even patches servers, and while most of them are automated now, there's a few special snowflakes that need doing by hand (because I anti doesn't have a sane way to script patches of you're using agents).

The DCs are automated though, so maybe.

Is my summary correct though? The complete lack of concern, even from the security guy (who is normally pretty good) has me doubting my assessment.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

When asked
- Why is everything broken?
you can say
- I warned you that would happen when the server was patched because desktop disabled all their patching
but I'll put a tenner on the reaction being
- Why didn't you disable server patching?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanatosian posted:

From SA I’ve picked up the habit of using the tilde to indicate sarcasm, but on slack it converts the tilde to strike through. This bugs me a lot because I am sarcastic way more than I need a strike through. Also duck autocorrect needs to go away as a thing for the same reason.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lum posted:

No. The patch is enough. There's a python script available which will test your DCs for the vulnerability.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Sorry, late response, I need to get back into the habit of coming here.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does the UK not have a health-related accommodations law? Even in the US I'd have a case for requiring WFH in this situation due to living with family that are at-risk.

Not that I know of. I think you're generally expected to change your living arrangements rather than inconvenience your employer :shrug:

Dunno-Lars posted:

Sounds like you should start wearing a mask that protects YOU instead of everyone else. Aka one with filters, or a N95 mask.
The masks most people wear out in public mostly protect others, not the mask wearer. The filtered ones really only protect the mask wearer, not everyone else. So start wearing one of those. If you get sick, you'll spread it to your lovely coworkers. If they get sick, they won't spread it to you, as long as you wash your hands and don't put dirty fingers in your face/eyes.

Yeah this is true. I have a couple where you can put a filter in it yourself but even then I keep getting lazy and using the basic cloth ones. It's looking like they might help due to a variolation effect so you only get a mild disease, but that's no help if I'm then going home asymptomatic and spreading a full dose.

It's hard to give much of a poo poo about the coworkers. Not when I overhear a bunch of them ranting in the canteen that we should just go back to normal, shield the vulnerable as best we can (i.e. let them hide away in their houses) and accept that some people are going to die so that we can "get on with our lives". And that it should be put to a referendum.

If there wasn't so much promise of a vaccine by mid next year I'd be starting to drift towards the "oh well it is what it is, let's get on with it and try to protect our own" thinking, but at the moment it seems if people can just hold their poo poo together for another 6 months (and maybe reduce unnecessary stuff like offices in the meantime) we might not need to put like half a million people in danger. For the most part people can still do what they want to do (even if it's illegal as the rules are complex enough that I think they genuinely don't expect anyone to follow them) so I don't see how lives are completely on hold... I mean, I'm looking forward to beer festivals again but will survive for now!

sixth and maimed posted:

Then, when the lockdown was being slowly phased out, one group of users insisted I come into the office because "that was easier to communicate" (= shout over the cupboard).

Yeah it's exactly this. I don't get how hard it is to pick up a phone, and with remote desktop it's generally quicker to resolve a problem than walking across the factory anyway.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 30, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A tech friend found this a while ago, and uh, well. Relevant I guess?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Stuff pissing me off:

I've been working from home for over 8 years and pretty much had it down. Covid changed all that. First there were the emergency closures and my wife and son being home and trying to finish up the year, which was a poop show but whatever. Now however, wife is working from home full time and son is virtual school full time, which means I have a second job as desktop support for the house. We are doing the best we can but the school setup is thrown together and not planned out well, and I try to help but it is annoying to be interrupted a work multiple times a day. Plus it has been years since I did desktop or (ug) printer support.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Stuff pissing me off:

I've been working from home for over 8 years and pretty much had it down. Covid changed all that. First there were the emergency closures and my wife and son being home and trying to finish up the year, which was a poop show but whatever. Now however, wife is working from home full time and son is virtual school full time, which means I have a second job as desktop support for the house. We are doing the best we can but the school setup is thrown together and not planned out well, and I try to help but it is annoying to be interrupted a work multiple times a day. Plus it has been years since I did desktop or (ug) printer support.

Look at it this way. Everyone is alive and maybe quarantining kept that true. Neither one of you were laid off. You also have the ability to help your family where its probably way more frustrating to have those issues and not know anything about computers and be unable to help them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Maybe you could reply to my email instead of escalating to my super this morning? I don't have access to your loving office and you guys all leave at 4pm, why did you expect the computer to be there?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

I was hoping Backhoe season was on the way out but nope...

Even more concerning the provider was about 15000 feet off where they thought the splice was located! Was not a fun night for them or me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

That range map is inaccurate.
I’ve personally spotted them way farther north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sickening posted:

Look at it this way. Everyone is alive and maybe quarantining kept that true. Neither one of you were laid off. You also have the ability to help your family where its probably way more frustrating to have those issues and not know anything about computers and be unable to help them.

For the most part I am just venting. And I am lucky that we are healthy and have jobs. For me it is a bit of too much of a good thing. I support technology that lets people work from home for a company whose infrastructure lets millions of people work from home, so if anything I am busier than before.