Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hollandia posted:

I would have called it weVict

Oui Vick

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

ugh i still can't believe hes dead. gently caress

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Why would you write this poo poo that sucks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why would you write this poo poo that sucks

It's a copypasta from another thread and it's good shut up.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Horza shoulda been a trans metaphor

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus loving christ we stan a king

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Raldikuk posted:

Dang I didn't realize their market share has dropped so low. I still prefer firefox over chrome especially on mobile because you can install ublock origin on mobile firefox.

does it matter? 95% of the websites i frequent have developed adblock detectors.

Gods_Butthole posted:

I'm going to be real sad when the only viable browsers left are all Chromium clones.

opera is going pretty well for me

...for now :smith:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Firefox 57 was when i bailed. It became like a chromium browser and broke my beloved pentadactyl.

Now I'm on a browser using webkit that has zero market share and adblock/pentadactyl/noscript trifecta by default, qutebrowser. It works great except for adblocking youtube ads where it's only 75percent blocked, which have gotten insanely crazy recently. I have a workaround but still poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Interweb posted:

does it matter? 95% of the websites i frequent have developed adblock detectors.

But opera has been a Chrome reskin for years?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just use the basic bitch firefox + ublock combo and I havent seen a youtube ad unless I accidentally opened the youtube app on my phone. I think I also have some avast plugin on there to justify the fact that I use loving avast

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't use Avast (or any other virus scanner).

Windows comes with everything you need, anything beyond Microsoft Defender is just asking for trouble, increasing your attack surface and, in the case of Avast, reducing your privacy.

If you want more security, enable PUAProtection (protects from adware, "potentially unwanted application") and Network Protection (blocks access to dangerous URLs), either through Group Policy/Powershell/Registry.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ender-antivirus
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/enable-network-protection

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 12:56 on Sep 25, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly I dont care for the antivirus, I just like the cleanup utility. If anyone's got an alternative that doesnt involve me not being a lazy piece of poo poo I'd love to give it a shot

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Danaru posted:

Honestly I dont care for the antivirus, I just like the cleanup utility. If anyone's got an alternative that doesnt involve me not being a lazy piece of poo poo I'd love to give it a shot

I've been using CCleaner, but I've noticed that it has caught the capitalism disease lately where it tries to trick you at every step to buy premium and install additional poo poo

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

grate deceiver posted:

I've been using CCleaner, but I've noticed that it has caught the capitalism disease lately where it tries to trick you at every step to buy premium and install additional poo poo

Wasn't there also an incident with CCleaner before where it was "hacked" and used to spy on users. CCleaner also being a popular bit of software among credit card fraudsters for erasing their tracks before undertaken their illegal activities.
I seem to recall coincidentally a lot of the same fraudsters being caught around the same time but I can't find evidence to it at the moment.

I'd just use an old, known good version of CCleaner than keeping it up to date with all the extras they try force through these days.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just run Windows Disk Cleanup in system files mode from time to time. Browser caches etc I pretty much never clear manually.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Fame Douglas posted:

Don't use Avast (or any other virus scanner).

Windows comes with everything you need, anything beyond Microsoft Defender is just asking for trouble, increasing your attack surface and, in the case of Avast, reducing your privacy.

If you want more security, enable PUAProtection (protects from adware, "potentially unwanted application") and Network Protection (blocks access to dangerous URLs), either through Group Policy/Powershell/Registry.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ender-antivirus
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...work-protection

your links are broken

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

it has?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

your links are broken

Fixed, thanks

Yep. There's also Vivaldi by the former Opera founder that's also a variant of Chrome.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Avast sells your user data if you care about that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

A good adblock can catch and mitigate those, because we're in a stupid arms race now

Mr Interweb posted:

Lol whelp you get to learn something fun today I guess. Yeah as already pointed out, Opera hasn't been Opera for like, geez, a decade I think?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PLEASE DRINK VERIFICATION VOSS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

dex_sda posted:

Firefox 57 was when i bailed. It became like a chromium browser and broke my beloved pentadactyl.

Now I'm on a browser using webkit that has zero market share and adblock/pentadactyl/noscript trifecta by default, qutebrowser. It works great except for adblocking youtube ads where it's only 75percent blocked, which have gotten insanely crazy recently. I have a workaround but still poo poo.

There's something real funny to me about a browser that comes with adblock pre-installed (presumably as a selling point to make it the most best secure browser or whatever) that can only block 75% of youtube ads.

I have literally not seen a single youtube ad in like 5 years and I use a normal-rear end browser with ublock origin and nothing else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

Opera is a Chrome reskin, which is in turn a Safari reskin, which is in turn a Konqueror reskin.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Just use netscape navigator as was intended.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I access the internet purely through curl :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Posting from my Huawei 6g bidet and espresso machine

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lol if you're using a graphic gui interface and not just text based internet browsing. Reading all the scripts and crap instead of seeing some design is so much more satisfying.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

BonHair posted:

Lol if you're using a graphic gui interface and not just text based internet browsing. Reading all the scripts and crap instead of seeing some design is so much more satisfying.

Look at this scrub who can't interpret the output of javascript into their mental space at will.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

"I don't even see the code, All I see is shitpost, emptyquote, gif of a guy eating poo poo on a skateboard"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Digital_Jesus posted:

Just use netscape navigator as was intended.

thank you for your loyalty

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

BonHair posted:

nice try

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I merged myself into the Wired (internet 2) and now live as it's ever watching angel after owning some tech dork but you do you.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

lmao if you haven't been strapped into a lawnmower man style VR hamster ball and reading the internet off a 300x200 screen for the past 20 years

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jetz0r posted:

lmao if you haven't been strapped into a lawnmower man style VR hamster ball and reading the internet off a 300x200 screen for the past 20 years

I have the internet printed out and passed to me through a slot in the wall

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

T-man posted:

Horza shoulda been a trans metaphor

how? he was fundamentally against the "decadence" and permissiveness of the Culture, it wouldn't make sense for his character

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

I have the internet printed out and passed to me through a slot in the wall

I like to think of it more as a series of glory tubes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Story tubes

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I just see the internet in my dreams and outside that it doesn't exist. Currently sleeping at the moment.

So yeah none of you are real.

Sorry. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

There's something real funny to me about a browser that comes with adblock pre-installed (presumably as a selling point to make it the most best secure browser or whatever) that can only block 75% of youtube ads.

I have literally not seen a single youtube ad in like 5 years and I use a normal-rear end browser with ublock origin and nothing else.

It only started to fail very recently, it's a host based adblock and Youtube started combating piholes. Ublock origin works but the way it does blocking slows down rendering massively, on the whole I'm fine with the tradeoff because every other website is so snappy.

And in any case if I had to choose adblock or pentadactyl I'd choose penta every single time :shrug: