Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Google Butt posted:

there is now!!

ohhhh I can do this with--

Oh drat, I think my Hydra was over $700 used. Ffffff.

Maybe I'll do an all Pigments thing.

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Tempted to challenge myself to use only my Nord Micro Modular - no external sequencing

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What groove box would you guys pair with a subharmonicon? Digitakt maybe?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

MockingQuantum posted:

I got my OP-1 used, with a case, zero issues, for $670 USD. No idea how.

I got mine new for juuuuust shy of eight hundo from the moma design store with a years membership to the moma that did end up using when I visited nyc.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Google Butt posted:

What groove box would you guys pair with a subharmonicon? Digitakt maybe?

You still have that Circuit kicking around?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

So Math posted:

You still have that Circuit kicking around?

I do, but I never really clicked with it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I had a circuit and sold it. The online editor makes it a lot better but I still never jived with the timbres I was getting with the built in synth engine. Which I think is based on the *-nova line? Sometimes I sell gear and rebuy it (SP404 is next on that list) but I have no desire to own a circuit again

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Can't go wrong with a Deluge.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Deluge looks impenetrable to me. How do you remember what little square does what?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

dexefiend posted:

Can't go wrong with a Deluge.

It's out of my budget unfortunately

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Deluge looks impenetrable to me. How do you remember what little square does what?

The little squares are the easy part, they're all labeled. What's tricky is the DAW-like features, changing clip length, transposing notes, copy/paste, etc. Those all happen with various combinations of the knobs and buttons at the top of the Deluge. For example, to clear your clip of notes, you press and hold the left-right knob and press Back. It's not obvious, but it does have a "language" to it, and you memorize the features quickly enough. The manual is always there to refer to when you forget or need some other shortcut.

Using a DAW is way easier, but then I have a screen in front of me, and god I already have enough of that in my day.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ColdPie posted:

The little squares are the easy part, they're all labeled. What's tricky is the DAW-like features, changing clip length, transposing notes, copy/paste, etc. Those all happen with various combinations of the knobs and buttons at the top of the Deluge. For example, to clear your clip of notes, you press and hold the left-right knob and press Back. It's not obvious, but it does have a "language" to it, and you memorize the features quickly enough. The manual is always there to refer to when you forget or need some other shortcut.

Using a DAW is way easier, but then I have a screen in front of me, and god I already have enough of that in my day.

drat, watching the demo video of this on their website is fuckin cool as poo poo :eyepop:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Wanting to build a patch bay so all my pedals and synths are readily available by moving a simple 1/4" cable (I have too many instruments). Anyone else go this route? What patch bays would you recommend / avoid? Currently eyeing this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPatchPlus--samson-s-patch-plus-48-point-balanced-patchbay

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

khysanth posted:

Wanting to build a patch bay so all my pedals and synths are readily available by moving a simple 1/4" cable (I have too many instruments). Anyone else go this route? What patch bays would you recommend / avoid? Currently eyeing this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPatchPlus--samson-s-patch-plus-48-point-balanced-patchbay

I had that something like that setup for a bit. I need to get it setup again, but I'm still figuring out my permanent synth setup.

I recommend checking local stores for used gear, path bays like that are very common so you can get an older one for dirt cheap used. I think I paid less than $20 for mine?

I recommend a strong labeling and color coding solution for cables. I was bad at keeping mine up to date when I made changes so it got confusing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Also stick to standard 1/4" patch bays (which that samson one is) unless you have a strong desire to buy a bunch of bantam/TT cables that you can only use with one thing, and spend a disproportionately large amount of time fiddling around with wiring posts or solder lugs. That said I can imagine even used TT patchbays are probably 10x the cost of 1/4" ones.

edit: to add actually useful information, I'm not sure there's any real price difference these days, but depending on how you're going to use the patchbay, you may not necessarily need a patchbay with switchable modes. Most of the time, you can get by with a patch bay that's either normalled or half-normalled and never think about it again. Thru mode is kind of an oddball and probably isn't super necessary unless you know you'll need that kind of setup, and honestly I'd probably create a headache for myself if I had a switchable one that had thru mode like that Samson one you linked.

That said, that may just be the standard these days, or going with one that doesn't give you switchable options may not save you that much money, I haven't looked in ages.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 25, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Also stick to standard 1/4" patch bays (which that samson one is) unless you have a strong desire to buy a bunch of bantam/TT cables that you can only use with one thing, and spend a disproportionately large amount of time fiddling around with wiring posts or solder lugs. That said I can imagine even used TT patchbays are probably 10x the cost of 1/4" ones.

edit: to add actually useful information, I'm not sure there's any real price difference these days, but depending on how you're going to use the patchbay, you may not necessarily need a patchbay with switchable modes. Most of the time, you can get by with a patch bay that's either normalled or half-normalled and never think about it again. Thru mode is kind of an oddball and probably isn't super necessary unless you know you'll need that kind of setup, and honestly I'd probably create a headache for myself if I had a switchable one that had thru mode like that Samson one you linked.

That said, that may just be the standard these days, or going with one that doesn't give you switchable options may not save you that much money, I haven't looked in ages.

I really wish I had space in my apartment to rig everything up to the patch bay and have a half normalled setup with everything wired through the back. Maybe at my next place

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

khysanth posted:

I have that patchbay and it's amazing. Solid as gently caress, no soldering, and the normaling switches are ON THE FRONT, which is apparently a rarity.

Right now I have my hard synths and Mini Moogerfoogers plugged into it so I can route signals a lot easier than swapping everything around with full cables. Best hundo I ever spent on the studio.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

khysanth posted:

i just had one of those arrive today but haven't set it up yet, it looks cool and good, and like its probably better than the cheaper behringer one i was originally planning on

can't wait to do use easy plugs instead of hard plugs :trumppop:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Thanks to the folks who provided earlier encouragement in the thread re: the Digitone. This just showed up today and it's immensely pleasing:

The hardware feels great -- satisfying to handle and to click the buttons, feels very sturdy -- and I was expecting the screen to look nice, but it's incredible (none of the videos I watched on youtube really could do justice to how sharp and clear it is). And just messing around with the first of the factory patterns and tweaking parameters has been a tremendous amount of fun. I had a little doubt going in, like maybe this was too much to start with and something smaller and cheaper would a better launching off point coming from no hardware synths, but this already seems like a great idea and something that I'll enjoy pouring a lot of time into.

Now to spend more time reading the manual and watching Cuckoo look back at me through his little mirror.

One quick question -- in fooling around with parameters just now, I did something (not sure what, probably something with decay and release, and maybe reverb) that resulted in a note that was both unpleasant and went on really long -- like it took a very long time to fade out. Is there some button shortcut to just stop a note from playing (like the way on an MPC you can double tap stop to just immediately stop anything that's playing)? It faded away eventually, and I assume it was something I did to create in fiddling with parameters too quickly, but is there a way to just quickly stop a long note?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Double tap stop

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

A MIRACLE posted:

Double tap stop

D'oh. Should have occurred to me to try that. Thanks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So what's the deal with this single synth contest? Particular genre or anything at all? Has it started yet?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Most of the YouTube versions of that are some flavor of the producer sampling into a box and arranging. I think it might be fun and get me to make another track lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m trying reeeaaal hard to get better at FINISHING projects and songs so I’m in if there’s anything going on here!

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks to the folks who provided earlier encouragement in the thread re: the Digitone. This just showed up today and it's immensely pleasing:

The hardware feels great -- satisfying to handle and to click the buttons, feels very sturdy -- and I was expecting the screen to look nice, but it's incredible (none of the videos I watched on youtube really could do justice to how sharp and clear it is). And just messing around with the first of the factory patterns and tweaking parameters has been a tremendous amount of fun. I had a little doubt going in, like maybe this was too much to start with and something smaller and cheaper would a better launching off point coming from no hardware synths, but this already seems like a great idea and something that I'll enjoy pouring a lot of time into.

Now to spend more time reading the manual and watching Cuckoo look back at me through his little mirror.

One quick question -- in fooling around with parameters just now, I did something (not sure what, probably something with decay and release, and maybe reverb) that resulted in a note that was both unpleasant and went on really long -- like it took a very long time to fade out. Is there some button shortcut to just stop a note from playing (like the way on an MPC you can double tap stop to just immediately stop anything that's playing)? It faded away eventually, and I assume it was something I did to create in fiddling with parameters too quickly, but is there a way to just quickly stop a long note?

Nice! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Mine still hasn't clicked with me the way the Digitakt has, but they're so drat satisfying to play with.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
I spent a bunch of time setting up multimode on my blofeld and setting up my midi keyboard buttons and faders for turning individual tracks on and off and filters and stuff for the one synth challenge thing and it all appears to be missing today :11tea:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Eventide/ Newfangled Audios free synth is so loving good

https://www.eventideaudio.com/promo/pendulate

Chaotic wavetable thing.

Good for screechy alien drones but can do more conventional synth stuff too. I just spent an hour with it and some reverbs pretending I was Trent Reznor scoring a David Fincher movie.

https://clyp.it/h5gwny5s

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 26, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Oof, that sucks.

Who exactly is organizing this? Google Butt?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

My last G2 Rokit 6 has finally died and it appears to be old enough that a 1:1 replacement + shipping isn't really worth it. Can anyone recommend suitable replacements?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

magiccarpet posted:

My last G2 Rokit 6 has finally died and it appears to be old enough that a 1:1 replacement + shipping isn't really worth it. Can anyone recommend suitable replacements?

I’d only look at JBL LSR Mk2s, Adam TxVs, and Yamaha HSx these days. They all come in 5” and 8” and 6-7” variants, take your pick.

Probs go with Adam T7V myself if I didn’t want to size down from 6”.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 26, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I downsized to the little 4" jbl monitors. They're alright for an apartment if a little quiet

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Thanks - those JBLs are on sale everywhere too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

So Math posted:

Oof, that sucks.

Who exactly is organizing this? Google Butt?

I'm probably not the person for the job :/

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I need to pick up a new master keyboard and occasional solo keyboard. I’d like to get something that:

* has 61+ keys, 73-76 is probably ideal, 88 is fine
* has a nice keybed. Hammer action isn’t necessary but a quality semi weighted would be good
* has USB for control along with MIDI
* has a decent onboard / self contained piano, Rhodes, Hammond
* I don’t *need* mappable / midi able sliders etc, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Definitely need pitch and mod.

I hang out with a guy who uses a Juno Stage as his main board because he’s had it for years and I like the idea of an fancy older board that’s cheap now. Those go for about $600ish these days and that’s probably a good budget to shoot for. Or I’m open to something newer that meets the above criteria. Something like an older Fantom or something might be fine but I don’t really need all the sequencer workstation stuff.

Thoughts?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

aunt jenkins posted:

I need to pick up a new master keyboard and occasional solo keyboard. I’d like to get something that:

* has 61+ keys, 73-76 is probably ideal, 88 is fine
* has a nice keybed. Hammer action isn’t necessary but a quality semi weighted would be good
* has USB for control along with MIDI
* has a decent onboard / self contained piano, Rhodes, Hammond
* I don’t *need* mappable / midi able sliders etc, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Definitely need pitch and mod.

I hang out with a guy who uses a Juno Stage as his main board because he’s had it for years and I like the idea of an fancy older board that’s cheap now. Those go for about $600ish these days and that’s probably a good budget to shoot for. Or I’m open to something newer that meets the above criteria. Something like an older Fantom or something might be fine but I don’t really need all the sequencer workstation stuff.

Thoughts?

I like the Roland RD series, but you have to watch 'em because their prices fluctuate a bunch.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sunday morning has turned into this nice time for me to work on experimental stuff. Formants are very interesting to me and I patched something like this thing from the A-121 manual:

The filters aren't identical but both 12 dB slope, I attenuated the LFO a bit and threw in a little S&H. It needs more work but for now you can hear the LFO and its inversion make the two band pass signals "complain" to each other. The envelope is a maybe a little too snappy. I'm going to see if I can get some vowel sounds out of this thing today.

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/bandpass-chatter

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
That's sick.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Just a heads up, youtubesman BoBeats is running a promo where you can grab one of his sound packs for free this weekend. Has a few for the Circuit and the Minilogue. Here's a link straight to the store page and use code "birthdaypresent" for a 100% discount on any one thing.

I am not a shill, I just like free poo poo.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

So Math posted:

That's sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
https://newatlas.com/music/yamaha-yds-150-digital-saxophone/

Are we gonna get a new VL?