Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Death Priest posted:

Will no one else champion Machias ?

CS3
The poor guy wasn't that interesting in the first 2 games but in 3 he's following his ideal of justice, working hard to ensure that Osborne, Rufus and even his own father do not go unchecked. Sure, we know it's futile but he doesn't ! His interactions with Jusis, another favorite, are great as their rivalry is slowly but surely transforming into friendship.

Machias is great, not trying to discount him at all. Honestly, as of CS3, I actually like everyone in Class VII. I'm not sure if the game just handled them differently or what, but they really came into their own both as characters and as active participants in the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Machias was absolutely unbearable in CS1, but he grew on me over the series. One thing I do note is that in every game so far, his buddy relationship trophy has the lowest completion rate of every character, every time.

CS3: Love that he and Jusis are hard at investigating, but find the time to bet on horse races just to find out WHO'S THE BEST 'cause they just can't resist it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

I'd say that Emma also has a fairly strong personal connection to the events, especially in CS3. Not only is her hunt for Vita obviously personal, but because of Vita's connection to everything, that directly connects her to everything. What's more, as a member of the Hexen clan and granddaughter to Roselia, she has a lot of connection to the history of Erebonia that's so critical to what's been happening in the country over the course of the games. It's just a completely different sort of connection than a Machias or Jusis, who are directly involved in the governing of Erebonia.

She has a strong connection, but not in the sort of way where I'm curious about what will happen to her over the course of the rest of the series.

The thing that makes someone like Jusis interesting is that he has a very close connection to a major antagonist. Same sort of situation with Fie. They basically have plot threads to resolve through their relationships with said major Divine Knight-wielding antagonists, which keeps them engaged with the plot. Alisa has the thing with her mother, but her mother isn't as "high profile" as Rufus or Jaeger dude I forget the name of. Laura's dad is maybe-killed (this isn't resolved yet at the point I got to in CS4), but that doesn't really give her an interesting ongoing motivation.

New Class 7 also mostly benefits from having better connections to events. Kurt has a close connection to Olivert's shithead brother, Altina has her connection to Black Workshop + Millium's fate in CS3, Ash is affected by the curse to shoot the Emperor, and Musse retains a level of mystery going into CS4.

Death Priest posted:

Will no one else champion Machias ?

CS3
The poor guy wasn't that interesting in the first 2 games but in 3 he's following his ideal of justice, working hard to ensure that Osborne, Rufus and even his own father do not go unchecked. Sure, we know it's futile but he doesn't ! His interactions with Jusis, another favorite, are great as their rivalry is slowly but surely transforming into friendship.

I mean, it's great that Machias is doing that just like it's great that Elliot is doing his music thing, but that doesn't make it very compelling in a "I'm curious what will happen with this character" sort of way. They're nice guys who are enjoyable in terms of the way they interact with other members of the cast, but they don't have much to do in the plot (which Gaius sort of averts by becoming relevant simply by virtue of being a Dominion).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As someone who has only played CS1 and like the first 5 hours of CS2 Machias is pretty alright. Yeah he doesn't really have a whole lot going on and he's obviously the worst in the early chapters but after that point he's pretty solid. He's mostly just there to constantly get owned for being a loser but most of those jokes land and he gets a couple of good scenes to show he's come a long way.

I dunno most of Class VII is pretty cool I think. Emma's cat is cooler than she is and Elliot's kinda just there but I like the rest.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ytlaya posted:

She has a strong connection, but not in the sort of way where I'm curious about what will happen to her over the course of the rest of the series.

The thing that makes someone like Jusis interesting is that he has a very close connection to a major antagonist. Same sort of situation with Fie. They basically have plot threads to resolve through their relationships with said major Divine Knight-wielding antagonists, which keeps them engaged with the plot. Alisa has the thing with her mother, but her mother isn't as "high profile" as Rufus or Jaeger dude I forget the name of. Laura's dad is maybe-killed (this isn't resolved yet at the point I got to in CS4), but that doesn't really give her an interesting ongoing motivation.

New Class 7 also mostly benefits from having better connections to events. Kurt has a close connection to Olivert's shithead brother, Altina has her connection to Black Workshop + Millium's fate in CS3, Ash is affected by the curse to shoot the Emperor, and Musse retains a level of mystery going into CS4.

I mean, it's great that Machias is doing that just like it's great that Elliot is doing his music thing, but that doesn't make it very compelling in a "I'm curious what will happen with this character" sort of way. They're nice guys who are enjoyable in terms of the way they interact with other members of the cast, but they don't have much to do in the plot (which Gaius sort of averts by becoming relevant simply by virtue of being a Dominion).

Right, so this is all fairly subjective, because at this point we're discussing which major plot connections are more personally interesting than the others. For me, I've found what's been happening with Gaius interesting just because I've just always liked him as a character, and I wanted to see if Falcom would actually put in the effort to make him relevant; in CS1 and 2, they didn't really bother, but as of CS3 they started to put in the effort, and I'm very excited about seeing more of that. And I could go down the entire cast listing reasons I think their storylines are interesting or not, but at the end of the day, it's just kinda subjective.

I'm just glad you recognize that Emma is important, even if you aren't personally invested in her storyline. :shrug:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Original Class 7 are all good for CS1 because they all either have characters arcs or have segments where they receive a lot of focus/you spend time at a place connected to one of them. It's only later than the games sorta go "we got all these characters, not sure what to do with all of them."

King of Solomon posted:

Right, so this is all fairly subjective, because at this point we're discussing which major plot connections are more personally interesting than the others. For me, I've found what's been happening with Gaius interesting just because I've just always liked him as a character, and I wanted to see if Falcom would actually put in the effort to make him relevant; in CS1 and 2, they didn't really bother, but as of CS3 they started to put in the effort, and I'm very excited about seeing more of that. And I could go down the entire cast listing reasons I think their storylines are interesting or not, but at the end of the day, it's just kinda subjective.

I'm just glad you recognize that Emma is important, even if you aren't personally invested in her storyline. :shrug:

Emma is probably my favorite of the original class 7 girls (even though Fie has more direct plot engagement, I don't find her that enjoyable as a character).

My issue is generally less with the characters and more with how the characters are used.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 25, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ytlaya posted:

Original Class 7 are all good for CS1 because they all either have characters arcs or have segments where they receive a lot of focus/you spend time at a place connected to one of them. It's only later than the games sorta go "we got all these characters, not sure what to do with all of them."

Emma is probably my favorite of the original class 7 girls (even though Fie has more direct plot engagement, I don't find her that enjoyable as a character).

My issue is generally less with the characters and more with how the characters are used.

Yeah, that's something that I've run up against too. Like I said in the post you quoted, they basically didn't do anything with Gaius in CS1 and CS2, but I really like him as a character, so that was frustrating. Now, as of CS3, it feels like Elliot's story is just done. The only thing he has to do is help Rean and the others because he's Class VII. At least Laura has the fallout from the climax, but Elliot's just there. I hope they can figure something out for CS4 to get everyone back up to some level of relevance, but I kinda doubt it. From what I hear, the cast in CS4 is very large, and Falcom just isn't great at juggling large casts.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Personally I think Gaius is still mostly boring even after CS3. Don't get me wrong, I like Gaius a lot as a person, definitely the kind of friend I would treasure but CS3 Gaius spoilers his most important moment happened off-screen for Aidios' sake ! Not to mention that the guy showed up to the Arianrhod fight without an S-craft. Obviously he couldn't use his Stigma without permission, but that didn't prevent anyone who wasn't class VII - including the players - from figuring out his secret so the reveal felt flat. Kevin had S-Crafts he could use without showing his Stigma so Gaius should have had Twin Cyclones at the very least.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 25, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm not clicking that spoiler because I'm not to cs3 yet but from CS1 and 2 he seems kinda boring but is also the best, nicest, supportive bro anyone could ask for.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Out of curiosity, how well do you think Falcom handles the casts of the party-based Ys games (that is, Seven, Celceta and Lacrimosa) in terms of making sure everyone has screentime and plot relevance and intra-character dynamics?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

For some reason I'm finding it way harder to get into Sky SC than I did the first part or Zero and I can't really figure out why.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Junpei posted:

Out of curiosity, how well do you think Falcom handles the casts of the party-based Ys games (that is, Seven, Celceta and Lacrimosa) in terms of making sure everyone has screentime and plot relevance and intra-character dynamics?

I think it's not as important in those games as they typically don't go too overboard with cutscenes and the gameplay is far more speedy.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
returning characters are pretty low in general which helps a lot

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
that is a fair point. Adol and Dogi aside, the only times I can remember characters returning off the top of my head is

A. the cast of Ys 1 showing up near the end of Ys 2
B. Geis showing up in Seven

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Geis is worth it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Griselda (the Governor-General in Celceta) is probably going to be a relatively important character going forward.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Junpei posted:

that is a fair point. Adol and Dogi aside, the only times I can remember characters returning off the top of my head is

A. the cast of Ys 1 showing up near the end of Ys 2
B. Geis showing up in Seven

Terra and Raba

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

as much as i love that poo poo-rear end game i wouldn't blame anyone for forgetting any of the characters that (re)appeared in 6

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hivac posted:

as much as i love that poo poo-rear end game i wouldn't blame anyone for forgetting any of the characters that (re)appeared in 6

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I liked everyone from the start and it's mostly just a question of how much cooler they got. Gaius wins that completion in every game. Going to Nord and roughing it nomad style is the peak of CS1, His stakes in the war of CS2 were highest by far since his entire way of life and homeland would have been destroyed, and now he's part of the best faction as their most interesting character. Emma's probably my least favorite since, well someone else said it, Celine is cooler at every level.

The new power rangers(Red, Blue, White, Yellow, Green) were a mixed bag though. I don't dislike them, but they were in over their heads the entire game and rarely got to interact with people the way the CS1 cast did. I think Falcom is amazing at juggling huge casts barring prior power rangers, since that's why the two CS arcs are my favorite and CB is looking to be least favorite going off Zero.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Act 2 accessory only is related to Sharon/Claire/Toval, right? Sara link level doesn't touch it?

If you do Claire/Toval's bonding events earlier in the game, even if you take her through that one part in combat, unless you do her bonding event or the bath scene, it's probably impossible to get enough link points without an assload of grinding.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you just pick sharon for everything you can once she shows up, you get her. No grinding or skipping previous bond events necessary.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

well it took me far too long to get this over with but it's finally done

maybe the superbosses someday but not now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

If you just pick sharon for everything you can once she shows up, you get her. No grinding or skipping previous bond events necessary.

This is after doing their bonding events on Dec 12. I'll have to go out to ymir and grind more. This is using her instead of others too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sara's not a temporary guest and doesn't have a special present.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This is after doing their bonding events on Dec 12. I'll have to go out to ymir and grind more. This is using her instead of others too.

Just pick Sharon for the bath scene if you want her stuff.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 26, 2020

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

there's one more scene after this where you can choose her to get bonding points

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Sara's not a temporary guest and doesn't have a special present.

Just pick Sharon for the bath scene if you want her stuff.

I was hoping to use that for class 7 instead of sharon, since she already has a bonding event

Anyways, I sperged out and realized that I probably only need to do 10-15 battles to get ahead with sharon so I don't get toval's accessory this run and get sharon's instead.

edit: Looks like two clears of Ymir valley was enough to make up the difference

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 26, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm playing Felghana today and man I really dig the retro music options.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

should have added the PCE CD version's ost imo but yeah it's a neat little recent addition

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
On the other hand this fire dragon boss is absolutely rear end.

I get how it works. I have demonstrated I know its patterns. But yeehaw 1100 HP, whittled down 1 to 2 HP at a time is not fun.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I would ask which fire boss but they're honestly both terrible, I would give advice but the last time I fought them was when I started my inferno run like 3 years ago so I don't really remember much besides "use green magic"

I think some segment takes more damage than the others or something? I could be talking out of my rear end

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hivac posted:

I would ask which fire boss but they're honestly both terrible, I would give advice but the last time I fought them was when I started my inferno run like 3 years ago so I don't really remember much besides "use green magic"

I think some segment takes more damage than the others or something? I could be talking out of my rear end

Yeah you use the green magic to dodge/hit more of the segments. But yeah, I've gotten this thing down to 139/1100, and it's 1-2 damage the whole way

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
If it's the fire dragon I'm thinking of, you're supposed to use downthrusts to break its spine quickly. You're not supposed to hit it 1200 times.

Just so we're clear, it's Guilen, right ?

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 27, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah thats the one. I've been using down thrusts, but there have been times where he'll turn as I'm in midair and I get knocked into a pit.

Really I'm just getting unlucky with its AI turning on a dime

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I don't know if this will help but bide your time and wait until it's circling you really close to the ground, ideally when he's not on fire, before jumping. Make sure you hit the large rear segment and hold your attack button for as long as possible when you land before moving. You should score a few 15-18 damage hits as well as several 1's every time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In CS3 am I going to want to relieve the old Class VII folks in my party of their quartz at some point before they leave? I remember each chapter has several members join you during the second half of each arc, though they all end up joining you near the end of the game. I'm definitely going to hold off on upgrading their slots, since at this point I've only opened 1 or 2 slots on each New Class VII person + Rean.

CS3 really feels like a more "polished" version of CS1, where there are fewer "arcs" and characters but each arc/character can receive more focus.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ytlaya posted:

In CS3 am I going to want to relieve the old Class VII folks in my party of their quartz at some point before they leave? I remember each chapter has several members join you during the second half of each arc, though they all end up joining you near the end of the game. I'm definitely going to hold off on upgrading their slots, since at this point I've only opened 1 or 2 slots on each New Class VII person + Rean.

CS3 really feels like a more "polished" version of CS1, where there are fewer "arcs" and characters but each arc/character can receive more focus.

The game actually does that for you. When characters leave the party you get everything they had that's removable.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

why did i sign the contract in blood to attempt origin 3x nightmare

hugo is so much worse than i even remembered him being this is terrible

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
CS3 everything that isnt highlighted in orange gets returned to you at the end of the chapters so there is no need to worry about leaving the strong stuff with characters you cant use.

CS3 does feel a lot like CS1, I felt the focus was mostly on developing the new Class VII with the old class mostly tagging along at least until the final chapter and end dungeon.

Old and new class VII really come together in CSIV with Juna taking reins with Rean gone, the new class VII really come into their own and become more likeable. A lot of the old Thors alumni are back too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hivac posted:

why did i sign the contract in blood to attempt origin 3x nightmare

hugo is so much worse than i even remembered him being this is terrible

Is Hugo really that bad for Nightmare? I’ve only beaten it in Hard mode and I remember Hugo’s story being a cathartic curbstomp because his thing is free midrange combat in a series where that’s usually something on a cool down.