Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

On this week's episode of "Oh Thank St Lawrence, I'm Not Working Today":

Off today, but had to go into the store around noon to get my paycheck. When I asked my co-cooks "howzit going back here?" I was met with 5 pairs of thousand yard stares. Apparently one of our reach-ins either wasn't shut properly yesterday when we closed at 2pm, or something inside shifted and popped it open. Everything had to be trashed. So on top of all the prep we usually haul rear end for on the weekend, they have to make another 5 gallons of gravy, cut a case of chicken, ball up 8 trays of sausage, I know I just thawed a whole case of swai in there in yesterday... a loving nightmare.

There's 2 A-listers on today, one guy I'd rate at B, and a new hire who, if I had my druthers, would've been fired already. As my asst KM said to me today "I'm amazed that guy can even dress himself in the morning". Plus he's loving creepy as hell, and the only reason I feel safe around him is that he probably still doesn't know where the knife magnet block is. (I sent him to the freezer the other day for something we needed on the fly, and when he wasn't back, I went myself. He dogged behind me and said "oh! I didn't even know that was there!" :psyduck:)

For a one nanosecond I considered saying "gimme a staff shirt and I'll clock in and help out", and then the Angel of Sanity lit upon my shoulder and said "you just did 7 days in a row of 10 hour no-break shifts, TAKE THE GODDAMN DAY OFF AND GET OUT OF THERE, JD". I wished them best of luck and gave my asst KM a hug and jetted. Am I a terrible person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
gently caress no. Good on you for keeping your boundaries.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

For a one nanosecond I considered saying "gimme a staff shirt and I'll clock in and help out", and then the Angel of Sanity lit upon my shoulder and said "you just did 7 days in a row of 10 hour no-break shifts, TAKE THE GODDAMN DAY OFF AND GET OUT OF THERE, JD". I wished them best of luck and gave my asst KM a hug and jetted. Am I a terrible person?

Nope. Why you're not a horrible person:

1) Boundaries are important, respect them.
2) Seriously, you just said you did a 70+ hour week, get some rest.
3) You were there for an important reason and not to have your buddies make you a meal.
4) As soon as you finished what you needed to do you gave some mild emotional support and hosed right off and out of the way of everyone else.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Out of curiosity, do the restaurants you work at have cooks come in early to prep?

We don't really have anyone coming in until 30 minutes before we open. Our chef and the line cooks prep whenever there's a lull in service (mid afternoon usually).

I guess it works most of the time, but it's completely reliant on people not coming in at a certain time.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Mondays are usually an early day for our crew, but it's a skeleton one these days with just 2 on the line and 2 in the front most lunch services. We go up to 3 each for dinner and a couple more in the front, but it's like 4pm start time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't work at a restaurant, but I do live next to one and the chef comes in for prep 2-3 hours or so before service, every day.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i have a question for folks who work in hospital kitchens

the father of one of my friends just got a gallbladder cancer diagnosis and i want to bring over a care package for her and her folks

the rub is that due to diabetes and liver problems, her parents are on a low sugar/ low fat diet . i have no experience at all cooking around that, does anyone who works with accommodating a lot of dietary restrictions have any suggestions of where to start, especially something that has comfort food qualities?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i have a question for folks who work in hospital kitchens

the father of one of my friends just got a gallbladder cancer diagnosis and i want to bring over a care package for her and her folks

the rub is that due to diabetes and liver problems, her parents are on a low sugar/ low fat diet . i have no experience at all cooking around that, does anyone who works with accommodating a lot of dietary restrictions have any suggestions of where to start, especially something that has comfort food qualities?

Difficult question to answer without more detail regarding dietary restrictions beyond just low sugar and low fats. Plus chemo and rad therapy messes up taste really badly. Also what kind of fats and what kind of sugars? Depending on the doctors advice/recommendation you can use one kind as a substitute etc. You can cook what you want, but portion control and properly measuring ingredients to comply with dietary restrictions is something you need to learn how to do. You can make a chicken soup from scratch, but only if you have measured or know totals of salt and fat content (how many grams of slat? how much chicken? was it with skin and bone? how much are they restricted on a daily basis? etc). So even if you do cook, just indicating the amounts would do alot towards giving your friend and their father a peace of mind.

My mother had thyroid cancer and sever arthritis due to the chemo. I spent several years taking care of her and cooking for her while working as a chef. My go to type of cooking was Japanese cooking because umami flavoring was very palatable for her and using fish based oils and fats was ok as long as i never overdid it. Another thing to look at is kosher products, not because they are better, but because the ingredients are better managed and you can be more certain of the quantities and sourcing with them because of the kosher certification process.

Its a rough task, but more than the eating of the food itself, im sure your friend and their father would just appreciate the gesture.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 2, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Check if you can get miracleberries, maybe? Apparently the protein in them that causes sour to register as sweet also helps with chemo mouth.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Just do weed about the chemo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I had to do three months of chemo and this is the correct answer. Weed is absolutely essential, I can't stress that enough.

*edit*
To expand on this, I had to be hospitalized due to dehydration mainly from not being able to eat for a week due to what amounted to intense acid reflux. A friend managed to get me a supply of edibles and from that point forward everything was completely endurable.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 3, 2020

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ughhhh posted:

Difficult question to answer without more detail regarding dietary restrictions beyond just low sugar and low fats. Plus chemo and rad therapy messes up taste really badly. Also what kind of fats and what kind of sugars? Depending on the doctors advice/recommendation you can use one kind as a substitute etc. You can cook what you want, but portion control and properly measuring ingredients to comply with dietary restrictions is something you need to learn how to do. You can make a chicken soup from scratch, but only if you have measured or know totals of salt and fat content (how many grams of slat? how much chicken? was it with skin and bone? how much are they restricted on a daily basis? etc). So even if you do cook, just indicating the amounts would do alot towards giving your friend and their father a peace of mind.

My mother had thyroid cancer and sever arthritis due to the chemo. I spent several years taking care of her and cooking for her while working as a chef. My go to type of cooking was Japanese cooking because umami flavoring was very palatable for her and using fish based oils and fats was ok as long as i never overdid it. Another thing to look at is kosher products, not because they are better, but because the ingredients are better managed and you can be more certain of the quantities and sourcing with them because of the kosher certification process.

Its a rough task, but more than the eating of the food itself, im sure your friend and their father would just appreciate the gesture.

thanks for the advice, i reached out to my friend for the exact dietary restrictions and i'm looking into stevia and other substitutes. hopefully i can make something resembling a baked good

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TVsVeryOwn posted:

i would do this, but my friend and her family are uncool

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
welp at least two of the team have covid

just got my negative test result but we’re closed until further notice

this is what i get for thinking abt taking some time off lmbo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

congrats on your time off

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I'm an FOH manager at a CCRC, we used to charge employees $2 a box for a big boxed meal with whatever was left over. It's been free since COVID started, which is awesome, but a few people have been taking too much . . . they're saving it from the garbage, times are tough, some folks recently lost homes in the fires...

The Chef and I know if the wrong person sees someone leaving with too much food upper management will at minimum start charging people again. We're doing all we can to keep it going, and we've both turned a blind eye now and then.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Month whatever since the pandemic started and still no compensation for our hard work beyond when the company shared some of their stimulus with us in the form of a small extra check with our paystubs, an effective $3/hr raise. For like a month and a half. 3-4 pay periods. I have had one night of drinking after over six months dry (pretty big deal for someone who was sure working in this industry wasn't leading anywhere but an early alcoholic grave in a decade or two at the beginning of the year) and no longer feel like I deserve to be overworked so I can justify overdrinking til I black out or fall asleep at least five nights a week. I have legit worked myself to the point of 3 days of lie in bed and maybe eat on day three exhaustion during this. Pretty sure this is never going to be worth the effort I have already consistently put into it and that's fine. I'm just done busting rear end for legit no reason besides keeping our dear corproation profitable for our betters, while I'm fed tales of review sign up sheet coming soon, with a flaccid "I'll do what I can to get you raise".

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

My back pain got so acute this morning I took myself to the ER. Soooo, probably not gonna have my current job much longer

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Trump 2020/ maga hat= lovely tip

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

TVsVeryOwn posted:

My back pain got so acute this morning I took myself to the ER. Soooo, probably not gonna have my current job much longer

What up, back pain buddy? I went to the ER yesterday morning, too!

I've had a pain in my ribs for about a week and woke up for work at 5am and my side and back said "nope, not gonna happen. I was curled up like an overcooked shrimp. Called my KM and said I was going to ER, I literally couldn't move without my husband helping me.

"Well, do what you can to get here."

gently caress that, they gave me a morphine shot, some steroids (its inflammation of the cartilage in my ribs, mostly likely from lifting 50 lb buckets of grits and poo poo constantly), and a note getting me out of work for yesterday thru tomorrow. Woooo!

Hope yr back feels better soon, friend.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Working a south east asian place at night and a Brazilian acai joint in the morning. Because the acai place shares tips based on hours worked at the restaurant I end up getting paid a lot more there for like half the work and stress because the south east asian place only FOH gets tips. The work is way harder and more stressfull but it's actually cooking and I feel like maybe I'm gaining some skills I can use to advance in this industry. Wish I got those tips though..

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I have never worked in a kitchen that didn't cut in BOH on tips. That loving suuuuuuuucks

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I have never worked in a kitchen that didn't cut in BOH on tips. That loving suuuuuuuucks

By comparison, I have only worked in one place that did cut BOH in on tips. And they eventually basically stopped, it went from being $20 each a night to $35 a paycheck.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

There was one cheque where they printed it on my paystub for whatever reason and it was like $2.33 (Canadian)/hour. I've never really bothered to do the math myself. It's always at least 10% on top of my take home. I can't remember the rate at my last job.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mithross posted:

By comparison, I have only worked in one place that did cut BOH in on tips. And they eventually basically stopped, it went from being $20 each a night to $35 a paycheck.

I've worked at.. [counts on fingers] six places BOH now, and never once been tipped out anywhere. Which really kinda bugs me at the breakfast place I'm at, because thanks to covid the orders are delivery/curbside, FOH isn't doing anything besides taking phone calls. and bagging poo poo up to run out to someone's car. Yet they get the same wage as me, plus those tips I never see.

I love my FOH, don't get me wrong, they deserve tips for dealing with the customers I don't have to. But I see posts about BOH getting tipped out, I get all "wait what" about that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm willing to bet their tips have dropped way off. People are much, much less likely to tip at all on take out and if they do they generally tip a lot less.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I love my FOH, don't get me wrong, they deserve tips for dealing with the customers I don't have to. But I see posts about BOH getting tipped out, I get all "wait what" about that.

My impression is that its sort of a new-style trend and/or more of a bigger deal in higher cost of living areas where the difference is even worse than it is for you.

The smaller the operation the more likely it is, both in terms of employee amount and size of the business.

Its something to ask about when people want to hire you.

If you think THAT's wierd: What I've also seen (rarely) done is a sort of limited tip out where cooks can be guaranteed an above-average hourly rate via a minimum tip out amount. As in , say, you're paid 14+tips/hourly and guaranteed at least 18; so 14+4, +/- whether its a full share tip out or just effectively a flat cut out of the pool(like a busboy, except flat, not %) is a 'depends'.
Usually its phrased as a 'you can make more if we're busy, but you will make at least (higher amount) drawing out of tip pool to make up the difference if we have to.'
Though that was also before the covid times.

What I've definitely seen are increases in what people are valuing good boh a over here. There's definitely been an uptick in job postings that spell out competitive wages and put a $ on it.
I might be wrong but basically I think its put a premium on people who don't suck and are willing to work in the places that are open and profitable; finding replacement hands sucks even worse now that nobody wants to take a covid risk

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
https://twitter.com/DynamoNestico/status/1315773993887162368?s=20

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Skwirl posted:

I'm willing to bet their tips have dropped way off. People are much, much less likely to tip at all on take out and if they do they generally tip a lot less.

I tip on takeout for sure, but I will admit that I tip a lot less on those checks versus sit down service. I treat take out tips basically like delivery ones, so five or six bucks flat, versus sit down where it was 25-30 percent if not more.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

In theory I support tipping out my BOH, but answering the problem "all of our staff are about to keel over from overwork" with "well we don't have enough margin to hire any more people or pay anyone any more, so we're going to tip out BOH now because FOH are paying rent on time" doesn't smack me as the right approach to making for a more fair distribution of money.

E: An extra $x an hour isn't going to fix the guy who has worked 75 hours now without a day off and last time I spoke with him wasn't able to blink both eyes at the same time reliably.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 13, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

esperantinc posted:

I tip on takeout for sure, but I will admit that I tip a lot less on those checks versus sit down service. I treat take out tips basically like delivery ones, so five or six bucks flat, versus sit down where it was 25-30 percent if not more.

Just from my own experience at two different restaurants that did both sit down and table service, both places take out was handled by one person that also had a "bar section" that was 6 or 7 stools at a bar. When I waited tables at those places most nights every table tipped and only maybe once or twice in five or so years combined did two different tables stiff me on tips in the same night, generally averaged 18-22% over the night. When I was in charge of takeout less than half of the take out people tipped anything and almost no one who did tip leave over 10%.

It's probably better for the COVID stuff, but it's almost certainly not what it was for dine in, even accounting for fewer customers.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
https://citationsneeded.libsyn.com/ep-118-the-snitch-economy-how-rating-apps-and-tipping-pit-working-people-against-each-other

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
lol BA scabs

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Whelp, the resort I work for just had two people test positive. We're now under a state mandated quarantine, I'm stuck in a cabin on the lake in the actual literal middle of nowhere. Guess it could be worse. Lots of meat in the freezer, and plenty of beer and liquor. Even got a couple fishing poles.

Wish me luck!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I’m real happy for that guy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

I’m real happy for that guy

I think he's like a full time Magic Card reseller now or something. Based on his posts it sounds like he's sold tens of thousands of dollars of them in the last few months.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Skooms posted:

Whelp, the resort I work for just had two people test positive. We're now under a state mandated quarantine, I'm stuck in a cabin on the lake in the actual literal middle of nowhere. Guess it could be worse. Lots of meat in the freezer, and plenty of beer and liquor. Even got a couple fishing poles.

Wish me luck!

Good luck comrade

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
We're opening back up after shutting down for 2 months.

We stayed open March-August with a skeleton (mostly BOH) crew, but it turned to not be viable.

I don't know how to feel. Everyone involved needs this to survive, we're all on the margins.

Cases are spiking AGAIN, and I don't want to risk my life or anyone else's to satiate these brunch motherfucker's desires.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

whos that broooown posted:

We're opening back up after shutting down for 2 months.

We stayed open March-August with a skeleton (mostly BOH) crew, but it turned to not be viable.

I don't know how to feel. Everyone involved needs this to survive, we're all on the margins.

Cases are spiking AGAIN, and I don't want to risk my life or anyone else's to satiate these brunch motherfucker's desires.

Yea I've started anti-anxiety medicine since my place reopened six months ago. Between all the bullshit that working in a kitchen normally entails, the extra bullshit (that's absolutely important, don't get me wrong) for the pandemic, plus being extra extra short staffed because of the pandemic, and just having to deal primarily with the kind of poo poo lord customers that go to a casino during wave 3 of a pandemic (so 80% belligerent senior or meth head, 20% regular human, at best), but absolutely needing the job, money, and best insurance (and basically only insurance) I've ever had, I can't quit or stand on my poor principles. So now I take xanax daily and just try to power through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mithross posted:

Yea I've started anti-anxiety medicine since my place reopened six months ago. Between all the bullshit that working in a kitchen normally entails, the extra bullshit (that's absolutely important, don't get me wrong) for the pandemic, plus being extra extra short staffed because of the pandemic, and just having to deal primarily with the kind of poo poo lord customers that go to a casino during wave 3 of a pandemic (so 80% belligerent senior or meth head, 20% regular human, at best), but absolutely needing the job, money, and best insurance (and basically only insurance) I've ever had, I can't quit or stand on my poor principles. So now I take xanax daily and just try to power through.

It's really hosed you need anti anxiety medication to do your job, and that's not a criticism of you or people in general needing anti anxiety medication or any other medication for their mental health. It sounds like your situation is set up to make someone need to take medication to handle. Which is hosed up.