Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jungle Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fatherofmustard posted:

Who's the best Generation Z (people born from 1997-present) wrestler?

Its probably Tyler Bate if youre looking for most well rounded with the output and record

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

didn't he retire?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

fatherofmustard posted:

Who's the best Generation Z (people born from 1997-present) wrestler?

I was gonna say Kaito Kiyomiya or Sareee but I guess they both just make the millennial cut being born in 1996.

I guess I'll go with Asuka/Veny. Put her in a singles match and she's gonna knock it out of the park. She's really really good at thinking on her feet too, there's been a few times where she's covered for something going wrong in a match that it almost looked like it was meant to happen.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

momo watanabe def has this rn imo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wato

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Probably someone in the Dragon Gate dojo. Of guys currently being featured, Kota Minoura and Dragon Dia are working very hard to make a name for themselves.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Asuka is a very good shout for best Generation Z wrestler - I think it also helps that she's getting a very strong push in a few places at the moment while most wrestlers her age are still on the way up and that also can help people look better. Its almost certainly a Joshi wrestler or someone in Mexico (or possibly Dragon Gate: I don't watch it but I hear they have a few good young boys at the moment)

JOHN CENA posted:

around 2016 nxt cards basically became "pick a pwg card from two years ago" so i can see the shift starting there but even then why would you be upset at better wrestlers coming in and getting exposure. i think the worst thing to happen to NXT was going to two hours. when that happened they stopped taping back to back and as a result stopped having cohesive stories that linked up from episode to episode. i also think continuing gargano/ciampa after the new orleans match was a mistake that devalued both guys rather than elevating them and turning gargano was also a mistake considering how white hot he was as a babyface.

I know this is a few days ago but I wanted to comment on that first line of this post. There are wrestling promotions I watch because they have a load of very promising rookie wrestlers who its very enjoyable to watch develop: Marvelous had three people debut in 2018 and watching them grow from being rookies and establishing their characters and expanding their in-ring abilities has been great fun: a bit part of the appeal of Gatoh Move since last August has been their last generation of rookies; watching the very quick growth of Suzu Suzuki from her debut on New Years Eve 2018 to now being Ice Ribbon's top champion a year and a half later; I could carry on giving examples but I'd be here for a while. While these promotions often have big main events with established stars I was often as interested: and in the case of Marvelous more interested in those rookies and their stories and that's where you get that emotional investment. If one day Nagayo decided to replace the rookies with all star Joshi matches with the best women in the world while it'd be "better" on paper maybe I'd be significantly less interested in those matches since my reason to invest in them is gone: and a massive part of the spirit of the promotion would also be gone.

I think for some people NXT was sort of the same: part of the appeal was seeing wrestlers with no or limited pre-WWE experience develop and come up from nothing to something: and in a well booked promotion that would lead to some sort of emotional connection long term where you watch, say, Tyler Breeze debut on NXT and go through there and then when he's on the main roster he becomes Your Man there because you've seen his whole story. Replacing those people with insert 35 year old Independent wrestling star here weakens that since its probably someone that you've seen for a long time before and even if you haven't they tend to come in with their character being what it was outside WWE and so there's no real development going on. Add in the people being called up not amounting to anything which effectively punishes that investment and the wider NXT product getting significantly less... fun and more melodramatic and I entirely understand why people would see the change that you see as positive ('better wrestlers' getting more of a focus) as a very negative development. The best wrestling promotions aren't the ones that have all of the best wrestlers; its the ones that are able to use whatever roster they have effectively and make people care about what they do.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn't Asuka thirty-eight? That would mean she was born in '82.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn't Asuka thirty-eight? That would mean she was born in '82.

There are two Asukas. The WWE Asuka is Kana in Japan. I don't know what the Japan Asuka goes by in the US although I think it was discussed earlier in the thread.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shota Umino is currently very good and is a couple of years from being absolutely great.

Riho is a prodigy.

Jungle Boy is one of the fastest rising stars in the business.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

There are two Asukas. The WWE Asuka is Kana in Japan. I don't know what the Japan Asuka goes by in the US although I think it was discussed earlier in the thread.

She was using Veny. But yeah, she was the Asuka in the amazing DDT 1 light tube death match from last year & she is far, far beyond her years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lamuella posted:

Jungle Boy is one of the fastest rising stars in the business.

Did someone get away with making up stuff on Wikipedia, or was Luke Perry really his dad?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

No, that's true.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Red posted:

Did someone get away with making up stuff on Wikipedia, or was Luke Perry really his dad?

Luke Perry was really his dad.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Red posted:

He is legit Luke Perry's son and has talked about it a bit since signing with AEW. Luke was a big wrestling fan who used to attend PWG shows.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I heard someone reference a Chris Jericho book offhand, but didn't think to ask which one. What's the good Chris Jericho book? He seems to have several and I can't tell one from the other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I heard someone reference a Chris Jericho book offhand, but didn't think to ask which one. What's the good Chris Jericho book? He seems to have several and I can't tell one from the other.

The first one is the best one.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MassRafTer posted:

The first one is the best one.

Thanks!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Red posted:

Really his dad, came to a whole bunch of his shows.

Did this video with his billboard just before the Once Upon A Time In Hollywood premiere.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0OSu8jg39j/

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

E: way late

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Jungle Boy tells a funny story about being nervous about bringing his dad to a show because wrestlers are usually lovely about that kind of thing. Luke Perry does it anyway, the entire locker room is like "Holy poo poo Luke Perry" and completely ignores Jungle Boy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Someone put up a clip on Twitter a short while ago where Luke and a very young Jungle Boy were front row at a Sumnerslam, I think? It was very wholesome.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, Jungle Boy tells a funny story about being nervous about bringing his dad to a show because wrestlers are usually lovely about that kind of thing. Luke Perry does it anyway, the entire locker room is like "Holy poo poo Luke Perry" and completely ignores Jungle Boy

The best story was finding out that whenever Luke Perry was feeling down, he’d go and find his Dusty Rhodes DVD set that had one of those speakers in the box that would spit out a random Dusty saying, and just open and shut the case until he felt better.

Like, imagining Luke Perry getting a call from his agent telling him he didn’t get some big Hollywood movie, him moping around for a bit, and then disappearing into another room and just hearing “FUNKY LIKE A MONKEY!” “HE GOIN TO THE PAY WINDAH!” “MAN OF THE HOUR, MAN WITH THE POWER!” suddenly erupt from seemingly nowhere is hilarious.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Red posted:

It also means that Krusty the Clown is his uncle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

It also means that Krusty the Clown is his uncle.

Someone has to tip off a Simpsons writer that Luke Perry's son dresses up for work like Sideshow Luke Perry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

She was using Veny. But yeah, she was the Asuka in the amazing DDT 1 light tube death match from last year & she is far, far beyond her years.

Wasn't it a thing where it was suggested the younger Asuka go by ASUKA? I seem to recall both Asukas saying on twitter that they thought it was a good solution to any confusion?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't it a thing where it was suggested the younger Asuka go by ASUKA? I seem to recall both Asukas saying on twitter that they thought it was a good solution to any confusion?

The younger Asuka is often referred to as ASUKA by English speakers whereas the WWE Asuka is often referred to as ASUKA by Japanese speakers (with the younger one being referred to with her kanji name, they use different kanji from each other but the WWE Asuka's kanji is rarely used).

The tweet WWE Asuka liked was actually mine saying that she's the all caps ASUKA and not the other one. Zoomer Asuka was going 5o use VENY in America to avoid confusion but her first US booking got cancelled by COVID so she's never actually been billed as that)

Next we should get an explanation of the Sin Cara/Mistico/Caristico/Mysteziz/Dragon Lee thing just in case that explanation didn't give everyone enough of a headache.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well looks like I am the confused one then! :sweatdrop:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

jordynne grace I believe is 24? her and riho are some of the few gen z that have been champions on, to some degree, televised shows (however you want to count impact).

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

the answer is probably no, but is there anywhere online to get match-level stats on matches, stuff like number of kickouts / rope breaks / finishers / whatever else?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There's a guy doing it on Twitter but only for big matches

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

There's a guy doing it on Twitter but only for big matches

lol the internet is full of complete nerds for everything isn't there

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
wrong thread

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hirez posted:

wrong thread
right forum :v:

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Hirez posted:

lol the internet is full of complete nerds for everything isn't there

I was thinking of some sort of pro wrestling fantasy league but I'm sure as poo poo not watching everything on wwe to get stats. even just aew could be fun, but that still means taking down stat lines for each match and I don't think I'm THAT much of a nerd

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What's up with Reika Saiki? She hasn't wrestled wrestled since August 2019 according to Cagematch. I know she got injured but is she done wrestling?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she signed with wrestle-1 which has since died, not sure why she hasnt turned up elsewhere in the meantime except its not like tjpw appears to be adding to its roster

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
She does lots of non-wrestling work and wrestling was always a secondary thing for her. The rumour going around was that her management company (the same that Hana was with before she died incidentally) aren't keen on her wrestling anymore because her last injury meant that she couldn't do a lot of the stuff she'd been signed to do for a long time and that if they have their way she'd not wrestle again: especially now she's not officially signed to any wrestling promotion so doesn't have any remaining commitments there. Even if that changes I imagine that Stardom is out because of her management company (can't imagine either side want to work with the other again); TJPW seem to be dropping a lot of the people that they signed through outside agencies so although clearly there's a good relationship there that might not be likely: and I don't know about her freelancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

She still has a plate in her jaw, which is why she started training specifically for bodybuilding competitions.