Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

It never had scripts, to the point where there's IIRC jokes in background signs about skipping proper storyboarding in favor of physically cutting up paperbacks and pasting them to the storyboard sheet. The dialog is nearly 100% all the manga dialog, in the manga order, with no adlibbing. This only seriously breaks down for, IIRC, ep 1-1 and 2-2 (I think it was? The one where the added joke was that IT was bad by-ear subs into Japanese, and the DVD had a completely different Japanese script.)

This was a large part of how fansubs of it were even possible on the crazy schedule, especially the crazy schedule of Zan, Bake, and Shin Mazinger weekly in the same season--I was able to snipe episode titles out of 2ch just after airing or release at worst, magazine previews if I was lucky, and then have a script done from those well before a raw turned up, even when we could cap our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Were the actors literally just reading their lines from the manga then?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Were the actors literally just reading their lines from the manga then?

It's unclear apart from unreliably self-pitying blackboard jokes where it lay on the spectrum from "reading directly from literal copies of the manga" -> "reading from a physical pastiche of manga panels" -> "someone retyped it into script format", but essentially yeah. There's a reason the episode scriptwriter credit was quickly changed to Shaft's Hajime Yatate equivalent and then removed completely.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mandoric posted:

It never had scripts, to the point where there's IIRC jokes in background signs about skipping proper storyboarding in favor of physically cutting up paperbacks and pasting them to the storyboard sheet. The dialog is nearly 100% all the manga dialog, in the manga order, with no adlibbing. This only seriously breaks down for, IIRC, ep 1-1 and 2-2 (I think it was? The one where the added joke was that IT was bad by-ear subs into Japanese, and the DVD had a completely different Japanese script.)

This was a large part of how fansubs of it were even possible on the crazy schedule, especially the crazy schedule of Zan, Bake, and Shin Mazinger weekly in the same season--I was able to snipe episode titles out of 2ch just after airing or release at worst, magazine previews if I was lucky, and then have a script done from those well before a raw turned up, even when we could cap our own.

:eyepop:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Crest/Banner of the Stars was such a good franchise and it's a shame that it never took off in terms of getting more official TLs or more anime. Even the kind of crappy Tokyopop versions still had a lot of the writing shine through, it was a world that just felt so much more well realized than you'd normally get in a light novel (which shouldn't be terribly surprising since IIRC they are considered actual novels rather than LNs).
the books are still coming out, I will keep the dream alive that one day banner IV will be adapted. even boogiepop got a new anime, eventually...

the recent j novel club translations are pretty good though, and they have finally passed the point where tokyopop stopped

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/AnimatedEmpress/status/1309597267028967425

lol

why make a game based on this series if you remove this element

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

lol

I usually laugh when people complain about video game romance routes but yeah this is some bullshit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

lol

this is the stupidest loving thing ive ever seen.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

lol

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 25, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that made me go from Hype to why the gently caress instantly. Hell given the setting you should be doing every route possible with all the main characters!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yeah, that seems like a way to lose half your potential audience.

Though there would be a certain honesty in just making the "original" Fortune Lover with no Bakarina references at all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the straights are not alright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Does anyone even care about the boys

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine there probably is a portion of the fanbase that would love some boy/boy routes

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Keith was pretty popular I think, and Alan might have gotten some fans near the end, but by and large no.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey! Two of them are alright.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Keith and Alan are Okay.

But also lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

lol

Imagine making a Bakarina game and missing the point this badly

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

thought i was in the vtuber thread for a second and got very angry

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

homeless snail posted:

thought i was in the vtuber thread for a second and got very angry

I care very much about my winning son.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kirbysuperstar posted:

Imagine making a Bakarina game and missing the point this badly

Honestly though a true Bakarina game should be a matchmaker-type thing where you get a higher score the fewer of the characters you accidentally romance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Honestly though a true Bakarina game should be a matchmaker-type thing where you get a higher score the fewer of the characters you accidentally romance.

The only allowed romance

is the field of veggies

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly a Bakarina princess maker would work.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

Honestly a Bakarina princess maker would work.

Long Live The Duke's Daughter or whatever she is.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bakarina Rune Factory game where you either save the world through the farm or earth bump while still having the entire cast trying to date you

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only bad ends is when Bakarina actually dates anyone due to losing her "Dense Dumbass MC" characteristics.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

finally wark outs themself as volcel

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

finally wark outs themself as volcel
:hmbol:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okabe: *calls luka a guy, obviously upsetting her and confusing Kurisu and Mayuri*
*Has already acknowledged Luka might physically be a girl now, has circumstantial evidence to indicate that*

*Feels her up*

*realizes he should apologize, doesn't*

god damnit okabe you are the absolute worst.

"why is kurisu mad i didnt touch her :downs:"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm glad for your manga getting so much attention

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Acerbatus posted:

Okabe: *calls luka a guy, obviously upsetting her and confusing Kurisu and Mayuri*
*Has already acknowledged Luka might physically be a girl now, has circumstantial evidence to indicate that*

*Feels her up*

*realizes he should apologize, doesn't*

god damnit okabe you are the absolute worst.

"why is kurisu mad i didnt touch her :downs:"

Yeah. I was waiting for you to hit that scene after your first mention re: Luka. :ohdear:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mods namechange to Panic de Trouble please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myl_nK14_IM

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Vks-K7Tto

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you borrow the name, you borrow the shame. You should force AI to do an Initial D simulwatch.

Where is the shame in that? Initial D is very much liked in AI. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

did you know 10% of the population of adtrw is actually cars.