Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Gigabyte uses Panasonic 470 not 330 caps, although I am not sure that makes much of a difference. I am a lil nervous because I ordered the Gaming OC earlier this week from Newegg, but I also don't know if it will affect me much. Listed boost is 1800 MHz so getting close to 2000 MHz seems killer to me. Is there something obvious I'm misunderstanding? Clearly there's something, otherwise EVGA wouldn't have made a statement about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

mA posted:

Eh, all it would take a few well-connected angry nerds with money to start a class action lawsuit and that could change very quickly. Given how much animus there is right now towards Nvidia and the launch in general, anything can happen.

Uh, how? If the number on the box for boost clock is for 1740Mhz and you're getting it then it's not a false claim. These crashes are happening way past the listed boost clock.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Bloodplay it again posted:

Gigabyte uses Panasonic 470 not 330 caps, although I am not sure that makes much of a difference. I am a lil nervous because I ordered the Gaming OC earlier this week from Newegg, but I also don't know if it will affect me much. Listed boost is 1800 MHz so getting close to 2000 MHz seems killer to me. Is there something obvious I'm misunderstanding? Clearly there's something, otherwise EVGA wouldn't have made a statement about it.

I have a Gaming OC and I’ve never seen it go higher than 1965, and then only briefly, 1935/1950 is about where it tops out.

My card has been completely stable, never a single crash or blue screen.

I’m going to try setting up an aggressive fan curve and see if I can get it to go higher just to experiment, but I think it’s already hitting it’s TDP at 350W draw so I dunno how much more it’ll give without loving with voltages which I’m not going to do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All the base 3080s are rated at 1710MHz. If they're all regularly getting past that and auto-overclocking to 1900+ out of the box, then the benchmark scores are going to reflect that. If a firmware patch caps the automatic overclock to improve stability, some people will see Number Go Down and lose their minds. Even though technically they were only guaranteed whatever fps results from a 1710MHz clock and anything beyond that is a bonus.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

AirRaid posted:

I’m going to try setting up an aggressive fan curve and see if I can get it to go higher just to experiment, but I think it’s already hitting it’s TDP at 350W draw so I dunno how much more it’ll give without loving with voltages which I’m not going to do.

Even at 100% fan (which is fukkin loud compared to the 75-80 it usually tops at wow) my card doesn't go over 1950. And the temps are really low (mid 50s) at the point so I don't think it's the thermal regulation Tech Jesus has talked about. Pretty sure I would have to actively try to clock it that high and I'm not interested in doing that. Still happy with my purchase.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Be real cool if I could stop getting a hardware error and my games stopped crashing. At -100 from the factory overclock the Ventus tests at a 0% confidence level in afterburner. Great stuff.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

All the base 3080s are rated at 1710MHz. If they're all regularly getting past that and auto-overclocking to 1900+ out of the box, then the benchmark scores are going to reflect that. If a firmware patch caps the automatic overclock to improve stability, some people will see Number Go Down and lose their minds. Even though technically they were only guaranteed whatever fps results from a 1710MHz clock and anything beyond that is a bonus.

Ok this was essentially my understanding of it, so I appreciate the reply.

Air Raid, I have been living vicariously through your posts since Monday. I even looked at just your posts earlier to see if you had posted any more about it. Out of curiosity, did you install the firmware update listed on Gigabyte's site yet?

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 26, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

Ok this was essentially my understanding of it, so I appreciate the rwply.

Air Raid, I have been living vicariously through your posts since Monday. I even looked at just your posts earlier to see if you had posted any more about it. Out of curiosity, did you install the firmware update listed on Gigabyte's site yet?

I didn't know there was one! Will take a look... what's it supposed to do?

E: Can't see anything listed for the card on their site except the AORUS Engine thing which is afterburner but bad by all accounts. Got a link?

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 26, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

AirRaid posted:

I didn't know there was one! Will take a look... what's it supposed to do?

Beats me! There are no patch notes but I saw it listed earlier this week.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

Be real cool if I could stop getting a hardware error and my games stopped crashing. At -100 from the factory overclock the Ventus tests at a 0% confidence level in afterburner. Great stuff.

Oof that is :smith:
Send that sucker back, try to get a different brand/store credit.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Definitely not gonna take newegg store credit. I tried lowering the power threshold and clocks, and I don't think it boosted to 2000+ in the first place.

It's even more frustrating because I was getting different crashing issues with my 1080ti, and the games that were crashing with that seem to be doing ok, and the ones that were ok are now crashing with the 3080. I'm about to just chuck the whole computer and buy a ps5. I realized how much time I've spent troubleshooting these bullshit issues vs playing games and it's not in the games favor recently.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 26, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Oof, that definitely sounds like there are ~other issues~ going on there, gently caress knows what though :iiam:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Just lol at class action lawsuits because a product won’t run beyond its rated specification.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Durzel posted:

Just lol at class action lawsuits because a product won’t run beyond its rated specification.

also lol at proven NOT RACIST Jay going "this is almost like 3.5gb but not really" when it's nothing like the 3.5gb fiasco.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah I can't see it holding water. I sometimes wonder if the days of overclocking are starting to see the sunset since power and thermal limits are being pushed quite hard at factory settings, or if the 3080/3090 are a one-off kind of thing.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Jay is a God drat idiot and definitely bottom tier of the youtubers out there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

POSCAP my clock hole.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Parallelwoody posted:

Definitely not gonna take newegg store credit. I tried lowering the power threshold and clocks, and I don't think it boosted to 2000+ in the first place.

It's even more frustrating because I was getting different crashing issues with my 1080ti, and the games that were crashing with that seem to be doing ok, and the ones that were ok are now crashing with the 3080. I'm about to just chuck the whole computer and buy a ps5. I realized how much time I've spent troubleshooting these bullshit issues vs playing games and it's not in the games favor recently.
Perhaps the problem isn't the video card, especially since you have had instability on two different cards. Maybe test the video cards in a different computer (preferably with a similar or better CPU/RAM) and see if it still crashes the same games.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

exquisite tea posted:

POSCAP my clock hole.

:golfclap:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Parallelwoody posted:

It really sounds like there is something else wrong with your system if both GPUs are having issues.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Thanks to whoever linked that Buildzoid video. For people who didn’t watch: aside from rambling about caps for 40 glorious minutes and mostly blaming NV for poor reference design giving partners the choice to go all solid polymer, he first says it’s a non issue if it’s OC only but checks stock clock graphs on TechPowerUp for most of the partner cards and sees that a lot of them DO run near 2GHz at stock, and most of them do blip to above 2 when the workload ceases. It does seem to be an issue at stock.

I also looked at some of his other videos and he predicts HBM on Big Navi just because of the heatsink block screw hole spacing on the Radeon 6000 model AMD put in Fortnite! Says if it were G6, the screw holes would overlap with where the chips need to be for signal integrity and shows past AMD heatsink mounts to make his point. What a legend.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

still in 9/23 processing gang :|

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Parallelwoody posted:

What else is in your system and how old is your PSU?

"Weird intermittent problems I can't track down" when not overclocking usually end up being the PSU or, less often, a bad stick of RAM.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Hardware Unboxed down in Australia are apparently getting crashes on stock setting even with the MLCC capacitors. :suspense:

At least you can get your favorite V-tuber no your Zotac, lads.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The cursed images thread is thataway.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

By the way for anyone who wants to actually read about this poo poo here's a white paper from Panasonic on the comparison between the two types of capacitor, their strengths and weaknesses etc.

https://www.avnet.com/wps/wcm/conne...d=1527062803823

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vir posted:

Hardware Unboxed down in Australia are apparently getting crashes on stock setting even with the MLCC capacitors. :suspense:

hell yeah

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

AirRaid posted:

By the way for anyone who wants to actually read about this poo poo here's a white paper from Panasonic on the comparison between the two types of capacitor, their strengths and weaknesses etc.

TL:DR - POSCAPs are touted as a good replacement for MLCC, being more stable, and have a higher max capacitance than MLCC.

E: Quote is not edit. Apparently.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

AirRaid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

AirRaid posted:

TL:DR - POSCAPs are touted as a good replacement for MLCC, being more stable, and have a higher max capacitance than MLCC.

As Buildzoid points out, not a single POSCAP appears on a single 30-series card. POSCAPs are tantalum, SP-CAPs are aluminum. Both are Panasonic brand names though and the parts on these boards are unlikely to be Panasonic.

You're also reading marketing material for the automotive industry, it's like reading a raytracing denoising for offline rendering whitepaper by NVIDIA and using it to conclude all other image reconstruction techniques suck for gaming. But I don't know anything about capacitors I just know marketing whitepapers

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Vir posted:

Great, now I can reallocate some of my body pillow budget to a 3080.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

lol pretty much

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Does anybody expect Big Navi to be competitive this time around?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

exquisite tea posted:

The cursed images thread is thataway.

No one’s been posting screenshots of your posts though?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Me, but I'm a hopeless romantic.

edit. I mean just looking at what a clusterfuck Nvidia has rushed into headfirst just to claim an unquestionable price/performance crown over its own products feels like they're expecting something from AMD. Or maybe they really are just that afraid of the consoles claiming PC market, idk

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 26, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

yes, but i don't care about dlss or rtx at this point in time, nor am i looking for 144hz@4k in cp2077 on ultramax or whatever

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

exquisite tea posted:

With games that have no ray tracing or DLSS 2 it will be in the ballpark I'm guessing.

Worse ray tracing, no DLSS equivalent and lovely drivers will be what handicap it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

They're practically guaranteed to run cooler, have more memory, faster GPGPU and better Linux drivers than 3080, and that stuff matters a lot more to some people than RTX, DLSS, GSYNC and raw raster perf.

Not me tho.

edit: Er, run cooler if AMD doesn't pull an AMD and pushes it way outside the sweet spot trying to beat NVIDIA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah unfortunately I too am a slave to the :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:. I really wish AMD could have remained competitive into the 2010s because TressFX is what got me started down the path to spiraling consumption for dubious gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
DLSS 2 is so good for anybody running over 1080p that it just feels like not having it is an auto fail even though it's only starting to get adopted. This isn't like not having Hairworks or whatever.