Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PhotoKirk posted:

Predators was like an awesome RPG session.

The Predator was a steaming incoherent pile of garbage.

I've seen The Predator twice and don't remember it.

Granted, I was drunk both times, but there was still nothing that stood out to me to make it a good movie. I like Thomas Jane and Keegan Michael Key. That's all I really knew going into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

happyhippy posted:

It's a good idea though, a survivor AGAINST loving PREDATORS, but they just waste him in mere minutes.
Instead of being a ghost like ultimate survivalist, with booby traps, hidey holes, hidden caches everywhere, he's just a one trick who shits his pants instantly.

I may be misremembering, but they make a huge deal that Fishbourne had survived several groups being hunted on the planet. But after the finale we see another round of prey already being dropped onto the planet. Making the joke that Larry had probably only been there like two weeks and had already gone total Lord of the Flies.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Alien: Isolation is as good as I remember and just looks and sounds loving amazing but, man, I forgot how long it takes until you actually first see the Xeno.

Your first time playing it, you don't know that though. I remember feeling a lot of tension and hearing weird noises on my initial run but now, knowing where the alien is scripted to appear, it was kind of a slog. Also, gently caress that bug in the intro that doesn't let you take off. Apparently, I forgot to take a loving shower but the game wasn't telling me that and and I wound up on the bridge with a bunch of crew just standing there and wondering what I did wrong so I reset.

Apparently I smelled too bad but people were too embarrassed to tell me.

When I realized I mixed up the game with a movie title, but hey, remembered a cool game :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Predator being about the titular monsters wanting to give themselves autism as a superpower was certainly... a choice.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Owlbear Camus posted:

The Predator being about the titular monsters wanting to give themselves autism as a superpower was certainly... a choice.

Predator 4Chan - in space

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
In The Predator 2 they're going to come back to Earth to steal all the trains

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

ron cobb died today. rip

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Maya Fey posted:

ron cobb died today. rip

Rip, I absolutely adore his icons for the Nostromo.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I totally forgot about the autism=super smart plotline. Also the thing where where director Shane Black cast his friend who was a convicted child predator (insert joke here) in a minor role without disclosing this to the other actors, one of whom was a child. Olivia Munn asked Black to cut his scenes and he refused until there was a public backlash and he went "sorry, I knew he was a pedo sex offender but I didn't know exactly what he emailed that 14-year-old until now, I'm the one who feels betrayed here!".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I totally forgot about the autism=super smart plotline. Also the thing where where director Shane Black cast his friend who was a convicted child predator (insert joke here) in a minor role without disclosing this to the other actors, one of whom was a child. Olivia Munn asked Black to cut his scenes and he refused until there was a public backlash and he went "sorry, I knew he was a pedo sex offender but I didn't know exactly what he emailed that 14-year-old until now, I'm the one who feels betrayed here!".

I've gone on record as liking The Predator many times, but this is new to me. Which one was the pedophile? :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Biplane posted:

I've gone on record as liking The Predator many times, but this is new to me. Which one was the pedophile? :(

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0928637/
He was cut from the movie.

He pled guilty in 2010 of propositioning a 14 year old girl over the internet, he denies allegations that he groped her. loving gross.
https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/ny-ent-jane-doe-predator-speaks-out-20180913-story.html

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 22, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That was an awkward situation all around. IIRC Olivia Munn refused to do the press junket for The Predator over this too.

The Predator has some good ideas/moments but nothing gels together to make an interesting film.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0928637/
He was cut from the movie.

He pled guilty in 2010 of propositioning a 14 year old girl over the internet, he denies allegations that he groped her. loving gross.
https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/ny-ent-jane-doe-predator-speaks-out-20180913-story.html

Lol at his imdb trivia being he is a convicted sex offender.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Biplane posted:

Link the swiss alien speedrunner please that sounds amazing.

Here you go. The chat goes a bit overboard with meme poo poo at times, if that kind of thing annoys you but the vid should give you an idea of how utterly buttclenchingly hellish/hilarious it is with 3 of the bastards prowling around and dropping/climbing out of vents while you're trying to avoid another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQSf-M9CcDk

@Biggerboat: Pretty sure those things are just flavour, no need to smack 'em or anything.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

That was an awkward situation all around. IIRC Olivia Munn refused to do the press junket for The Predator over this too.

The Predator has some good ideas/moments but nothing gels together to make an interesting film.

Predators was closer to be a cheesy fun action film in the spirit of the original 80s movie.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Here you go. The chat goes a bit overboard with meme poo poo at times, if that kind of thing annoys you but the vid should give you an idea of how utterly buttclenchingly hellish/hilarious it is with 3 of the bastards prowling around and dropping/climbing out of vents while you're trying to avoid another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQSf-M9CcDk

@Biggerboat: Pretty sure those things are just flavour, no need to smack 'em or anything.

Thank you!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

I love that Pvt. Drake looks like he got his suit from a Romulan tailor circa TNG era.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
spotted this today. discuss.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I love that Pvt. Drake looks like he got his suit from a Romulan tailor circa TNG era.

And Lance Henriksen killed a Russian sailor and the Fonz for his outfit.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Photo also shows how sigourney weaver is huge irl (6')

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Number 7 is the right way.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Number 7 is the right way.

i agree personally but my option is on the number 8 fratboy douche visor

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's what I was going to say.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Sentinel Red posted:

There's a Swiss guy who speedruns it on Nightmare constantly and has been trying it out with a number of horrible mods - 2 Aliens, 4 Aliens, 5 Aliens, a super aggressive Alien that becomes active everywhere immediately after Axel's death (yup, you have to find somewhere to hide while waiting for the transit). Even cut scenes aren't safe so the smoke bombs have a use at last.

I just tried to explain to fellow forums user Mr Toodles why I found the above so hysterical to me, the idea that someone's doing it "constantly" and chooses, willingly, those awful awful mods. What a horrible and hilarious thing to do to yourself. I've revisited your post multiple times and smiled each time.

edit Mr Toodles didn't get it but he's also never played the game so WHAT DOES HE KNOW

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

i agree personally but my option is on the number 8 fratboy douche visor

Goddamnit, Keith! Stop ripping the android caddies in half! We. Have. A. Tee. Time. To. Keep.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

etalian posted:

Photo also shows how sigourney weaver is huge irl (6')

Lol you think that's huge

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The ideas and moments in that movie were interesting in the same way that finding a corpse in the woods may perhaps be called interesting, what an abominable disaster of a film.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Not sure it describes all the issues with the predator but this is something I've noticed with bad action movies. Independence day is definitely a spectacle film but the spectacles fit together very well. A bad action film has spectacles that just happen to occur in sequence.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone in this thread who hasn't done so, go play Alien: Isolation because it owns, really captures the look of the films (especially the first one) and is scary and tense as poo poo.

I've got my 9 year old hiding under the blankets playing it and he's finally where he can play with me and take turns with a FPS control scheme thanks to him loving around with Minecraft. Sounds stupid but seeing him master a FPS control scheme felt like a rite of passage and I felt proud in a weird way.

Good times Father and Son getting scared to death hiding in lockers, behind tables and holding our collective breath. He actually got us through the medical level on his turn. That's my boy.

drat, I wish they'd make a sequel to this. Such an underrated and, sadly, low selling game. There's so much they could do with this license/engine and I wish it had caught on more than it did. The graphics , atmosphere and sound are just fantastic and really capture "Alien". The tension they manage to build is almost like nothing I've ever played before. I honestly can't remember the last time I played a video game that made me holler/scream/yell out loud or drat near poo poo my pants trying to find a hiding spot.

What I'm saying is go play this game if you love thinking about Aliens.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alien: Isolation is about family.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A few days ago I was watching Isolation on Twitch. I don't think it's possible for me to play that game.

godogg
Dec 29, 2008
All right, sweethearts, I have just this minute finished 'The Cold Forge' and heartily recommend it. It's a good page-turner and I was shocked, Shocked when everything went to poo poo and there was still half the book left. I was a little let down by who opened the kennels but as written nothing else would have made sense. Never stop thinkin bout them Aliens

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

A few days ago I was watching Isolation on Twitch. I don't think it's possible for me to play that game.

Watching some streamers can be entertaining in the same way in the same way as an actual slasher flick - when a cocky, obnoxious guy first gets the flamethrower and they're all "Awwwww hell yeah, Imma go gently caress it up now!" and first time they meet it, they drive it away and think they're unstoppable...

..meanwhile, you're just looking at the 225/500 on the fuel gauge of this item that's supposed to last them the next few hours, and which is already more than half gone after a single encounter.
:getin:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A guy I was watching last night said that when he's streaming he usually has a space heater by him because the upstairs it's super hot so they have to blast it and the downstairs gets cold. He said he didn't have it on because his adrenaline was so high.

One thing I'm having a problem with watching these people is their problem solving skills are incredibly frustrating. Running around the same room for literally 10 minutes looking for buttons to press or whatever and they didn't want to go into the other room because it didn't "feel right." lol Other people running around the same room while not noticing a well lit vent in a dark room that's saying "hey, look at me!"

It's annoying. If you're stuck for that long then read a small part of a walkthrough or just ask the chat room.

But alas, I'm too scared to play it myself.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

They're probably hamming it up a bit for the camera. I mean, I hope.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No. They were clearly morons.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ah, okay.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

if quoted the imagine seen as hats for.. things different