Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PookBear posted:

I'm interested in a GPS like the bushnell backtrack where you simply put in a homepoint and then it just gives you a heading and distance, is there any other GPS that does this?

Literally every GPS does that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Is there anything like the firemaple, but for around 650ml? I'm currently using a 650 ti mug for bikepacking, but something with a heat exchanger on the bottom might make a difference.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe a 600ml evernew wide pot? The base is 3cm wider than in Toaks 650ml - bigger surface area seems to increase the speed: http://evernew-global.com/products/ulseries/eca251r.html

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

On the topic of pots and such, I want a light weight pot/mug with both a mug handle and a bail handle. Enough to make some soup or boil some water for food. 750ml maybe? Has to be able to be used over a fire. Suggestions? (Needs a lid too obviously.)

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I suppose this question is antithetical to the thread, but I'm not sure where else more appropriate :v:

Any Adirondacks experts here? Looking for recommendations for a mountain that can be done in a day with dogs. Seems like most of the High Peaks suggest making a 2-day trip, based on reviews on AllTrails

While folks here will probably answer that, I would check in the dedicated hiking thread, there may already be some suggestions in that one. Hope it helps!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

On the topic of pots and such, I want a light weight pot/mug with both a mug handle and a bail handle. Enough to make some soup or boil some water for food. 750ml maybe? Has to be able to be used over a fire. Suggestions? (Needs a lid too obviously.)

have u considered a pot?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

withak posted:

Literally every GPS does that?

no the entire point was that was all it did so I could give a super barebones function to my wife

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

PookBear posted:

no the entire point was that was all it did so I could give a super barebones function to my wife

Maybe a GPS watch could fit the bill

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of gear for a couple years now, just to track weight and stuff, and got made fun of for not using lighterpack this weekend, so I started moving everything over to lighterpack

One thing I noticed on my way to my trip this weekend is that my pack, loaded up, was not equal to the sum of the stuff inside it. Some of this is accounted for in me slapping a couple extra caribeaners on my pack, technically having a bit more water than the 4L I wrote down, the extra baggies/trash bag I threw in, etc

But in going back through everything and grabbing amazon links for my lighterpack, I notice that my backpack is listed as 3lb14oz
But if I throw it on a luggage scale, it weighs in at 63oz

Is there some sort of fuckery with how backpacks are billed, and I need to cut off all the straps and zipper pulls or something? The brain only weighs 4oz so it's not that, and there's nothing else that can be pulled off the pack without actually cutting it off the pack, so I'm completely boggled

Related, criticize my poo poo
https://lighterpack.com/r/vuoz6s

e: after shouting about this for an hour, it has come to my attention that the problem is that I can't do math good and I translated 3lb14oz to 46 oz instead of 62. Welp.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 22, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pack of Leaves

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Jumping back into Jetboil chat - does anyone have experience with the Flash vs the MiniMo? I'm currently seeing the Flash on sale for $145 (AUD) while the cheapest MiniMo I can find is $220.

Alternatively, is the Fire Maple FMC-XK6 a better buy? The Fire Maple sits on top of an existing stand, while the Jetboil screws directly only the gas canister, potentially making it more stable? Are there any other significant differences I should know about?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Monoprice has their knockoff MSR Hubba Hubba tent on sale.

2 person for $80, 4 person for $120

Pretty heavy at 5+ lbs, but might be good for a car camping option.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Monoprice has their knockoff MSR Hubba Hubba tent on sale.

2 person for $80, 4 person for $120

Pretty heavy at 5+ lbs, but might be good for a car camping option.
I am very tempted for the 4-person. Hell I might get the 2-person to replace my other knockoff that is a good foot shorter, lengthwise.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

e: after shouting about this for an hour, it has come to my attention that the problem is that I can't do math good and I translated 3lb14oz to 46 oz instead of 62. Welp.

Just wait until you start weighing tents.

1470 grams? Sure, if you don't include tent stakes, lines, zipper pulls, stuff bag, throw a helium balloon in there...

content: picked up a Frisport Lavvu tipi tent on clearance when a local branch of a sports equipment store shut down. Got a huge discount since it was the last day, open box (return), and figured it was worth a gamble. Ye gods, it was not. These are pretty complex to setup, especially the initial setup where you have to get the "hat" on with the lines to pull it into position etc. Looked like someone had NOT tried to set it up at home, went out in the woods, and exploded in a fit of chimp rage when they couldn't get it setup. Several of the plastic clips were torn off the webbing, the center pole pieces were forced together incorrectly and could not be taken apart, the lines were routed all wrong and damaged... gently caress

Gonna make an attempt tomorrow to get it exchanged for a new one from another branch. Paid 80% less than normal price so we shall see, worst case I just return it and get my money back.

You should ALWAYS set poo poo up at home and familiarize yourself with it. Learning a new piece of gear when you're hours away from home in the woods is NOT a smart thing to do.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 24, 2020

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Just wait until you start weighing tents.

1470 grams? Sure, if you don't include tent stakes, lines, zipper pulls, stuff bag, throw a helium balloon in there...

Yeah with tents I know what I'm in for, and I know that billed weights are super fucky
But a backpack that's off by over 25% threw me for a loving loop

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

Yeah with tents I know what I'm in for, and I know that billed weights are super fucky
But a backpack that's off by over 25% threw me for a loving loop

You look at the Osprey Exos 58? Brother has one and it's pretty drat nice, think it weighs a fair bit less than yours.

Surprised at the weight of your top quilt. Been looking the the Cumulus ones and even their -14C comfort one only weighs 725 grams / 26oz.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pumped up for school posted:

I am very tempted for the 4-person. Hell I might get the 2-person to replace my other knockoff that is a good foot shorter, lengthwise.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried any of Monoprice's tents? The cables are really top notch but everything else (particularly complex electronics or home appliances) are a bit hit and miss.

Their aluminum hiking trekking poles seem to work fine though :shrug:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Minimo is good but proprietary. Maybe a soto windmaster with 3flex and the fire maple xk6 pot? Or perhaps even some uber cheap burner like BRS 3000 if you want to save money. The fire maple pot is good, although a bit heavy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You look at the Osprey Exos 58? Brother has one and it's pretty drat nice, think it weighs a fair bit less than yours.

Surprised at the weight of your top quilt. Been looking the the Cumulus ones and even their -14C comfort one only weighs 725 grams / 26oz.

I think once you get beyond a certain fill power (800?) weight to warmth is pretty much the same. I know my quilts are heavier because I hafta buy the extra long Sasquatch size, and I like to get overfilled when I can since I’m a cold sleeper. Could also be more trim around the shoulders.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think once you get beyond a certain fill power (800?) weight to warmth is pretty much the same. I know my quilts are heavier because I hafta buy the extra long Sasquatch size, and I like to get overfilled when I can since I’m a cold sleeper. Could also be more trim around the shoulders.

I always thought it was past 800 you just get diminishing returns?

Like if you have 2 identical bags, and one is 800 fill and the other is 900, the 900 filled bag will be lighter but not by more than a few ounces while costing significantly more. However if you look at an 800 fill bag vs a 650 fill, the 800 fill bag will be quite lighter by up to or over a pound. Something like that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I always thought it was past 800 you just get diminishing returns?

Like if you have 2 identical bags, and one is 800 fill and the other is 900, the 900 filled bag will be lighter but not by more than a few ounces while costing significantly more. However if you look at an 800 fill bag vs a 650 fill, the 800 fill bag will be quite lighter by up to or over a pound. Something like that.

This! Thank you, the way I phrased that was really dumb. That’s my understanding too, but I don’t remember where I learned it, so I could be wrong.

Speaking of quilts, I’ve occasionally had issues with underquilts migrating to one side throughout the night or if I toss and turn a bunch in the Blackbird XLC hammock, because of the footshelf. So, I finally caved and bought the wooki quilt made by Warbonnet for the hammock, and after taking it out for a spin the other week, I can confirm it does indeed work well! Only caveat being that the 40 degree underquilt was barely adequate for a low of 43(ish). About 3 AM I noticed being a bit cool and kinda curled up a bit for the rest of the night. I think having something under my feet and switching to a heavier quilt under 50 would be perfect.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My only experience with underquilts so far is a 20 degree Wookie, though I also have a 40 degree ENO that I got on clearance last year for like $50

I was out in ~30deg nights last weekend with the 20 degree Wookie and was super comfortable, though I didn't fluff it up enough the first night, and had one very light baffle, leading to a softball-sized cold spot on my back. Having a 0 degree Wooki would be great, but that $300 price tag is preeeeeeeetty rough

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive been eyeballing a Wookie underquilt for a while now. Interesting to hear your twos experiences with them.

I’m still using an Arrowhead Equipment 3/4 length 20F quilt. I’d say the temperature is accurate but I do sometimes experience that shifting where it’ll go over my shoulder or not cover my feet or something. Usually with a bit of shifting I get things back in place and comfortable. The biggest thing I’ve done to keep warm with that UQ at 20F temps is to bring some down booties with me. Ive got some GooseFeetGear down booties I’ll sleep with and they’re heavenly.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Has there been a run on canister stove fuel? I just tried to find some MSR IsoPro online and it's out of stock basically everywhere, and the places that do have it or some other brand have severely jacked up prices.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

armorer posted:

Has there been a run on canister stove fuel? I just tried to find some MSR IsoPro online and it's out of stock basically everywhere, and the places that do have it or some other brand have severely jacked up prices.

A quick poke around online (because I am fascinated by supply line disruptions) suggests prices on Amazon have spiked > 300% since April for IsoPro, none of the Academy Sports within a hundred miles of me have any IsoPro in stock, and most of Walmart locations within 50 miles of me are out of the Coleman Butane/Propane mix.

This doesn't help if you don't have any canisters on hand, but you can actually refill them with butane or propane if you get the correct adapters. You can also empty larger containers into smaller ones with the correct adapter.

Edit: REI has them at reasonably normal pricing but will only ship to store. Interesting. I'd be curious to know more about what's going on if anyone has any insights.

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 29, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Part of the aluminum shortage from when China shut down for COVID maybe? Lots of manufacturing took a hit there. I'm interested too though

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wait you can buy fuel through the mail? I've always just grabbed it in store

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

poeticoddity posted:

A quick poke around online (because I am fascinated by supply line disruptions) suggests prices on Amazon have spiked > 300% since April for IsoPro, none of the Academy Sports within a hundred miles of me have any IsoPro in stock, and most of Walmart locations within 50 miles of me are out of the Coleman Butane/Propane mix.

This doesn't help if you don't have any canisters on hand, but you can actually refill them with butane or propane if you get the correct adapters. You can also empty larger containers into smaller ones with the correct adapter.

Edit: REI has them at reasonably normal pricing but will only ship to store. Interesting. I'd be curious to know more about what's going on if anyone has any insights.

REI lists them as ship to store only, but if I add them to my cart and pick the REI near me, at checkout it says they don't have them / can't ship them. So, unless you're lucky and your closest REI still has some I think that's just a bad website quirk.

So yeah, seems like they're a tough buy right now. Good thing I have a few other options!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Wait you can buy fuel through the mail? I've always just grabbed it in store

I went to my recent orders and Amazon shows i bought a 4 pack of 100g isobutane for $40 back in March. That didn't feel right. But I remember keeping the box for the dividers, dug out and it was 8 small cans for $40. The same stuff is 4 for $30 now.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I picked up two 100g containers from REI on a whim a couple weeks ago. Sounds like that was a good idea.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

They have become very hard to find. Store owner I spoke with said it was a combination of supply issues from China, and increased demand as more people were going outdoors camping this summer in lieu of other trips/vacations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I guess this would be a good time for me to get used to using my Whisperlite.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

The canisters are steel, not aluminum. They rust at the crimp if you leave them sitting in your pot with a little cooking moisture residue and magnets stick to them.

Also I believe they are manufactured in S Korea, not China for the most part. Supposedly there is one factory that makes them and just rebrands them with various labels. See this post: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/98791/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I checked the local outdoors store today and they seemed to have the regular amount of canisters for regular prices.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Anyone ever run one of the propane canister adapters with a canister stove so you can just run it off a 1lb propane canister? I have one I picked up for a few bucks ages ago but I've never used it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I think this is the right place to ask, but I didn't see anything about it in the OP or the most recent couple of pages. I just went on a short backpacking trip with family and while driving home we stayed at a campsite (mostly due to covid concerns about hotels) and I saw a car top tent that looked interesting and more importantly comfortable (especially compared to the two of us in the dirt with our bivy sacks). My girlfriend has been talking about her desire for some sort of converted Sprinter van for going on road trips, but of course RVs are expensive and a well outfitted car top tent might provide what we want for trips, especially since both of our vehicles appear to be well suited for them. I don't see tons of review out there for them. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they comfortable? I assume they come with a stiff floor since they cantilever off of roof rails. Do you have one and love it or hate it? Am I wasting my time looking into an overly expensive tent for road tripping?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Xenix posted:

I think this is the right place to ask, but I didn't see anything about it in the OP or the most recent couple of pages. I just went on a short backpacking trip with family and while driving home we stayed at a campsite (mostly due to covid concerns about hotels) and I saw a car top tent that looked interesting and more importantly comfortable (especially compared to the two of us in the dirt with our bivy sacks). My girlfriend has been talking about her desire for some sort of converted Sprinter van for going on road trips, but of course RVs are expensive and a well outfitted car top tent might provide what we want for trips, especially since both of our vehicles appear to be well suited for them. I don't see tons of review out there for them. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they comfortable? I assume they come with a stiff floor since they cantilever off of roof rails. Do you have one and love it or hate it? Am I wasting my time looking into an overly expensive tent for road tripping?

The term you want to search for is "rooftop tent". They're all the rage right now with the trendy overlanding boom. By all accounts that I've heard, rooftop tents are very comfortable and easy to use.

They're not cheap, though. Whether it's worth it to you depends on your uses and finances, I suppose.

Edit: And be sure that your vehicle can handle a decent amount of weight on it's roof and rails.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest downside is that if you want to go anywhere in your car, your tent has to come with you. Which is an issue if you are going to be returning and need to hold your occupancy.

I also have the issue where I tend to sneak out pre-dawn to go take photographs and it means the wife has to come with me if I need the car, and she could give a gently caress about perfect light.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Having used one/stayed in one once, I'd say they arent worth it.

Its basically a REALLY expensive tent. And not all that noteworthy of a tent. Just accept that no matter if the tent is on the roof of your car or carried in it you're car camping.

Go get a nice car camping tent like an REI KINGDOME. They're huge, frequently on discount, and great for the price. Then use the rest of your savings to buy a car topper and stuff that sucker with full size double sleeping pads and bags. Then use the rest of your savings to buy a big Primus/Coleman/Whatever 2 burner stove. With the savings go buy 2 big camping chairs. Now with whatever is left go buy beer and gas and enjoy your trip.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Will second that statement. The only way I would use a RTT is on a trailer behind my 4Runner. I have no need to carry around the extra weight and wind resistance. Grabbed a Kingdome 4 earlier this summer, and it's perfect. Goes up & comes down quickly, is loving huge on the inside and I found it on OfferUp for $200. Saw a Kingdome 6 pop up a month later for the same price and was going to swap, but it did not last half a day.