Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
One suggestion I've seen - possibly in this very thread - that would help for that would be the word "EVERYWHERE"; if any level in a pack includes the text "FLAG IS WIN EVERYWHERE" then that rule would apply throughout that level pack. I can imagine that having problems when you start thinking about entering, leaving or resetting that level, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

One suggestion I've seen - possibly in this very thread - that would help for that would be the word "EVERYWHERE"; if any level in a pack includes the text "FLAG IS WIN EVERYWHERE" then that rule would apply throughout that level pack. I can imagine that having problems when you start thinking about entering, leaving or resetting that level, though.

During development I considered a feature where a level could be given "fixed" rules that are always active but visible on the pause menu; I ultimately felt that it'd be a bit against the feel of the game if there'd be rules that affect a level but don't exist within it (apart from the 3 general rules that are always active, which admittedly makes this point a bit hypocritical but hopefully not overly so.) If I were to make a less-puzzly-more-programmy iteration of Baba, having some kind of "fixed rules", global rules or the aforementioned "command blocks" would be very good, though.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The adjective "GLOBAL" seems like it'd be made for this. Something like "GLOBAL FLAG IS WIN", causing that rule to be active for every level accessible from that level (with the exception of exits back to other maps).

People would be programming Doom within days

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Oh god now I'm imagining push able blocks in the level select that change the rules of all levels in the block. And another layer on top of that with blocks to change rules for every level at once. Rule blocks all the way down.

LEVL IS FLAG

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Torquemadras posted:

The adjective "GLOBAL" seems like it'd be made for this. Something like "GLOBAL FLAG IS WIN", causing that rule to be active for every level accessible from that level (with the exception of exits back to other maps).

People would be programming Doom within days

FLAG INSIDE LEVEL IS WIN

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just wanted to say I’m about 100 puzzles deep and absolutely loving every second of this game. Each puzzle feels impossible at first but the solution always seems so obvious once I’ve found it. I also love how at any point a great number of puzzles are available so I’ve never felt truly stuck so far. I’m a bit scared of what some of the remaining puzzles will entail but I haven’t read any spoilers so I’m looking forward to the rest of the journey.

ALL is the first keyword I’ve run into that even after playing with for a bit I don’t feel like I fully grasp. It might take a bit of time to get the hang of that one.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm loving with the level editor. Wondering if anyone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

The Sun and Moon are supposed to travel clockwise around the belts. The Sun faces upwards and the Moon faces downwards, and at least at first they move in the direction they're supposed to. But after that first pass, neither the Sun nor Moon will enter the top-left corner; they'll turn around and go back the other way. Same when they reach the same space when going counterclockwise.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

IMJack posted:

I'm loving with the level editor. Wondering if anyone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

The Sun and Moon are supposed to travel clockwise around the belts. The Sun faces upwards and the Moon faces downwards, and at least at first they move in the direction they're supposed to. But after that first pass, neither the Sun nor Moon will enter the top-left corner; they'll turn around and go back the other way. Same when they reach the same space when going counterclockwise.

Wouldn't BELT ON SUN AND MOON IS SHIFT achieve what you're trying to do? You'd lose them turning to face their direction, though.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

Wouldn't BELT ON SUN AND MOON IS SHIFT achieve what you're trying to do? You'd lose them turning to face their direction, though.

BELT ON SUN AND MOON IS SHIFT wouldn't work because the Sun and Moon would have to be in the same space.

But if I stack the SUN and MOON words on top of each other, it does work.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 5, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

IMJack posted:

BELT ON SUN AND MOON IS SHIFT wouldn't work because the Sun and Moon would have to be in the same space.

Oh, derp. It'd work if there was an OR operator.

IMJack posted:

But if I stack the SUN and MOON words on top of each other, it does work.

:toot:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/sHi1isQ.mp4

MOON IS BEAUTIFUL
SUN IS (even more) BEAUTIFUL

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

IMJack posted:

https://i.imgur.com/sHi1isQ.mp4

MOON IS BEAUTIFUL
SUN IS (even more) BEAUTIFUL

Great. Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head while trying to sleep. :argh:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

IMJack posted:

...does anybody know why this didn't work?

I assume FOLLOW tries to make an object face the nearest instance of another. But that doesn't necessarily have to be the next instance along the track - depending on which direction FOLLOW prefers, it could be the instance behind, too.

Something like that?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ah! Huh, that's odd. Definitely looks like a bug; I'll need to investigate. And @Torquemadras - Follow was recently updated so that when picking which object to follow, the Following object prefers targets that are in front of it; so ideally everything should've worked fine (assuming the Sun & Moon were facing towards a piece of Belt when the level starts.)

dantheman650 posted:

I just wanted to say I’m about 100 puzzles deep and absolutely loving every second of this game. Each puzzle feels impossible at first but the solution always seems so obvious once I’ve found it. I also love how at any point a great number of puzzles are available so I’ve never felt truly stuck so far. I’m a bit scared of what some of the remaining puzzles will entail but I haven’t read any spoilers so I’m looking forward to the rest of the journey.

ALL is the first keyword I’ve run into that even after playing with for a bit I don’t feel like I fully grasp. It might take a bit of time to get the hang of that one.

Thanks a lot! :) All is definitely one of those words where different players might have different intuitions as to what it means. I'd be interested in hearing which elements of it confuse you!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hempuli posted:

Thanks a lot! :) All is definitely one of those words where different players might have different intuitions as to what it means. I'd be interested in hearing which elements of it confuse you!

I will try to explain the best I can. Let’s look at Level Chasm-C: Elusive Condition.

In the initial state, hand is all. The sprite on the current position is a hand with no star. If you move one space to the left, the space you were just occupying is now empty, and the current position is a hand with a star under it. If you move one more space to the left, the space you just moved from now has a star, and the current position is a hand with a star under it.

I understand why the second space has a star in it. When you move, because star is not you and hand is all, meaning hand is star, the hand moves but the star does not, and simply remains there. (This point is what I referenced in my previous post about being confused, but after thinking about it it made sense)

My current question is why was a star not left behind in the initial space? And why is the default state of the puzzle not showing a hand with a star under it in the initial position? Does this actually point to a bigger general rule that rules do not apply until at least one move has been performed?

Unrelated: I’m quite a few more puzzles deep and can’t stop thinking about it. I’d like to give a special shout out to Further Fields for the honor of being the only level in the first four worlds I still haven’t figured out.

Edit: finally got Further Fields. The solution was so cool. I was so tempted to ask for help here but I’m glad I didn’t.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 12, 2020

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sorry to keep harping on this, I just felt like messing with it more.

https://i.imgur.com/o6H1CdI.mp4

Maybe it's an object ID issue, where whatever is at the upper-left-most position is going to have ID #0 or #1.

I love this game, Hempuli. You're awesome for making it.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

IMJack posted:

Sorry to keep harping on this, I just felt like messing with it more.

https://i.imgur.com/o6H1CdI.mp4

Maybe it's an object ID issue, where whatever is at the upper-left-most position is going to have ID #0 or #1.

I love this game, Hempuli. You're awesome for making it.

Thanks for the compliment & bug report! That took a while but I finally had time to investigate the bug; should be gone in the next version. I did a mistake where I assumed that the IDs used in that bit of code used the game engine's internal IDs, which can never be 0, vs. using the game's own ID system, which starts at 0.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hempuli just won TGS' Game Designers Award :aaaaa:

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1309808062937653248

Here's the announcement along with Sakurai playing through the first bunch of levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlelqkR0is8&t=2345s

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 26, 2020

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
code:
AWA  IS   WELL
RD       EARNED

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That’s so cool! I’m still plugging away (although Hades has been stealing my attention lately) and I’m up to about 120 levels cleared now. I have a little Baba moving around the main level select now. Not sure what it’s for but hoping to find out before long!

Skull House is currently destroying my brain. It truly feels impossible. But I’ll keep trying!

Edit: I got back to this after playing Hades for a few weeks. I’ve solved 125 levels and I feel truly stuck now. I have dozens of available levels and I’ve tried each and every one of them for a while and it’s almost sort of painful opening one up, like I immediately feel “oh right, this one” and feel dejected. I might be about at the limit of my puzzle solving abilities, which is a shame because I know there are something like 100 more levels. I guess the difficulty curve caught up with me. Not sure what else to do other than take a break again.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 19, 2020

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thank you very much! :)

dantheman650 posted:

Edit: I got back to this after playing Hades for a few weeks. I’ve solved 125 levels and I feel truly stuck now. I have dozens of available levels and I’ve tried each and every one of them for a while and it’s almost sort of painful opening one up, like I immediately feel “oh right, this one” and feel dejected. I might be about at the limit of my puzzle solving abilities, which is a shame because I know there are something like 100 more levels. I guess the difficulty curve caught up with me. Not sure what else to do other than take a break again.

The reason A Way Out? is available so early is because I wanted to follow a tester's suggestion that it'd be a good idea to allow a player to finish the game even before they've solved every single level. I've hoped that it'd be nicer to be able to say "ok, that's good enough" after the game starts feeling too frustrating, going through the credits and being done, instead of having to give up and just stop playing the game at some point.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the baba is you level editor/sharing thingy is on steam beta now i guess. post some dang codes so i can get my brain shattered by some new levels https://www.hempuli.com/blogblog/archives/2338

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Nah, it's not up yet; I'll make a proper announcement once it goes live :)

But yeah, it'll soon be available:
https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1337953598874017795

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Very excited for the level editor!

:kimchi:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The editor and level-sharing open beta is now go! Right-click the game on Steam and go Properties -> Betas and select "betatest" from the drop-down list to get access.
Alternatively, if you don't have the game on Steam, you can check out the (free) limited-time beta editor on itch.io: https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you-level-editor-beta

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
It would be nice for action words to give an explanation on the editor page when moused over, as in redacted.

Entering the name of the level displays an out-of-theme string entry box that seems to have been made for a mobile or console?

Closing the window instantly loses all work with no confirmation.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm having a blast.

DN98-5WM8

edit: it seems like hitting the 'play now, don't save' button breaks it and also spoils the maze. No longer broken!

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 15, 2020

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The new Crystal music is fantastic, dang.

Where would you prefer us to leave feedback? Assuming you're looking for any in the first place.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

DN98-5WM8

edit: it seems like hitting the 'play now, don't save' button breaks it and also spoils the maze.

I was able to complete it pressing 'play now, don't save'. I then saved it and the same solution solved it.

edit: Once completing the level, I cannot navigate the menu (Return / Play Custom Levels / Play Levelpacks / Get New Levels / Level History / Change Slot Name / Erase Saved Data on Slot) with the keyboard, as the baba selection icon doesn't appear, but I can click on them with my mouse. This feels like a bug?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

By the way! There was an old build on itch, which lacked the online-sharing function. If you got a "NetworkError" on it, please redownload.

hyphz posted:

It would be nice for action words to give an explanation on the editor page when moused over, as in redacted.

Entering the name of the level displays an out-of-theme string entry box that seems to have been made for a mobile or console?

Closing the window instantly loses all work with no confirmation.

I was planning to add a description to objects, but with how intricate some of the words are, it seemed like a very tough job to do succinctly.

Yeah, the text input is not in the game's style; it was a compromise we made to be able to easily build the game for all platforms, Switch & mobile included.

Unfortunately I can't at my end make closing the actual window ask for confirmation; I need to bring it up with the person who made the C++ port.

Pigbuster posted:

The new Crystal music is fantastic, dang.

Where would you prefer us to leave feedback? Assuming you're looking for any in the first place.

Thanks! Here, on Twitter, on Steam forums, anything works. I feel that SA might be the place where it's easiest for me to check for feedback, since the other options are a bit more sprawling & active.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

edit: it seems like hitting the 'play now, don't save' button breaks it and also spoils the maze.

This *should* be fixed now. Sorry about that!

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Thanks for the quick reply!

Also, I made a more complete level with a similar gimmick:

3EI1-25TH

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hello I have only just got this game recently, but I have to tell people on the internet that I figured out the Further Fields level so I feel like a goddamn genius.

I heard there's another method, but I did it by timing the Babas to move "KEKE is YOU" into a horizontal. I'd been already thinking on so many earlier levels, "God I wish I just had some way to make this phrase horizontal instead of vertical without losing my whole tether to existence" and I finally got one!

But Christ was it a pain to set up. I'm taking screenshots of everything or else I'll never remember how the hell I did anything in this game.

That evaporating river one totally stumped me before though, I just wasn't getting it even after trying to read all the gentle nudge hints. I finally looked up the specifics cause I wanted to know what concept I wasn't getting, but then I cursed my moment of weakness and swore to never do that again.

I'm absolutely loving this game but also kind of frightened of how insane these puzzles could continue to get. :psyboom:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Hello I have only just got this game recently, but I have to tell people on the internet that I figured out the Further Fields level so I feel like a goddamn genius.

I heard there's another method, but I did it by timing the Babas to move "KEKE is YOU" into a horizontal. I'd been already thinking on so many earlier levels, "God I wish I just had some way to make this phrase horizontal instead of vertical without losing my whole tether to existence" and I finally got one!

But Christ was it a pain to set up. I'm taking screenshots of everything or else I'll never remember how the hell I did anything in this game.

That evaporating river one totally stumped me before though, I just wasn't getting it even after trying to read all the gentle nudge hints. I finally looked up the specifics cause I wanted to know what concept I wasn't getting, but then I cursed my moment of weakness and swore to never do that again.

I'm absolutely loving this game but also kind of frightened of how insane these puzzles could continue to get. :psyboom:

Hey, congrats! Further Fields is definitely one of the harder levels in the game. Your approach wasn't technically the intended one, but it works and that's all that matters, haha. Glad to hear you've enjoyed the game :)

Also, the beta editor has been doing very nicely:
https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1340039847336169472

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
just chiming in to say I'm still excited for the editor but don't have time atm to check out the beta

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Bought this two days ago. What a truly amazing game. Saw there was a level editor on the beta branch and gave it a go.

Will there eventually be a way to save and load levels and packs as files rather than only uploading to the internet? I'm making levels that I'd like to put into a future level pack and it would be nice to have a way to share them with friends for testing without uploading them for the whole world to see before they are ready.

Also, thank you for having a "hide spoiler objects" setting enabled by default. I've only made it to world 5, I'm unspoiled so far and love that I can use the editor while keeping myself unspoiled.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

H2Omelon posted:

Bought this two days ago. What a truly amazing game. Saw there was a level editor on the beta branch and gave it a go.

Will there eventually be a way to save and load levels and packs as files rather than only uploading to the internet? I'm making levels that I'd like to put into a future level pack and it would be nice to have a way to share them with friends for testing without uploading them for the whole world to see before they are ready.

Also, thank you for having a "hide spoiler objects" setting enabled by default. I've only made it to world 5, I'm unspoiled so far and love that I can use the editor while keeping myself unspoiled.

Glad to hear that! And really happy to hear that the no-spoiler setting is useful, too. :)

I've made a little tool that can compress/extract levelpacks into .biy files: https://www.hempuli.com/baba/BIY_LM.zip
I could technically do a similar tool for singular levels, but no-one has so far requested one.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Hempuli posted:

Glad to hear that! And really happy to hear that the no-spoiler setting is useful, too. :)

I've made a little tool that can compress/extract levelpacks into .biy files: https://www.hempuli.com/baba/BIY_LM.zip
I could technically do a similar tool for singular levels, but no-one has so far requested one.
Thanks. I'll make sure to try that out at some point, but I should probably get back to trying to beat the game first before I delve too deep into this stuff.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ME is.. DUMB?
When I click on any of the "featured levels" that I thought I'd try in the beta, it takes me to the "Enter the level code (XXXX-YYYY)" screen?
What am I doing wrong?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMRfY23od8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Out At Sea is driving me absolutely insane. I haven't even been looking at the Baba is Hint site cause I've been on such a nice streak of not taking small hints for anything at all, and I want to be able to beat this thing myself. There's only so many moving pieces! If I just keep coming back to it after doing other things, some new idea is bound to come to me eventually!

But I went and beat the whole chasm instead and came back, and I'm still not getting anywhere. I came up with one idea that I thought was real promising... LAVA IS LAVA so can't do poo poo with that, but ice is ok to play with. So what if I go ICE IS TEXT, and now I got two instances of the text to play with. I could use those two instances of text around the one IS to make one ice block into two things at once, (ICE IS TEXT + ICE IS LAVA) start gaining some new possibilities here by growing the number of things I have to work with...

...oh. Right. I also need a third ice to actually be the ice. Ok so let's try and sacrifice one piece of text on the lava to turn it into ice, can't sacrifice the IS or PUSH, I frickin need those. Can't sacrifice TEXT, at least not yet, or that spoils the point of this whole exercise cause then I got nothing to try and multiply my stuff with. I'd only be able to change the ice into lava. I could sacrifice ON? Line it up on the lava and then hopefully not need it anymore?

...oh. Right. I do need it. Or else how am I gonna turn any of this text back into ice :cripes:

Is there something totally galaxy brain going on here? Do I maybe not really need PUSH? But if I don't need PUSH this wouldn't be so hard!!!!

Ok hopefully I won't cave and look at any hints now that I got that out of my system for a while :shepicide: