Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

The best space decor items are insane.

Of course by the time you get them you've probably decor-bombed all your dups anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is it cheating to get your first plastic from that mod that lets you deconstruct the old Veritas props like desks and ladders? Oh well, too bad.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Cycle 737, but I finally sealed off my base. :confuoot:

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 24, 2020

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Early liquid locks are always fun on Rime because you turn your back and one of your locks is now a chuck of ice. Had to remember to thread some radiant pipe past them to keep the water warm

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Fixated on the area near the core with my oil industry going up and forgot to look at the rest of the map. My main water tank got sucked dry from 2 SPOMs and a bunch of berries :rip:

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Is it cheating to get your first plastic from that mod that lets you deconstruct the old Veritas props like desks and ladders? Oh well, too bad.

Yeah, I often have this dilemma. On one hand, no I don't want to deal with indestructible furniture. On the other it the mod that allows you to deconstruct the props gives early access to steel and plastic (and subsequently lets your printer print plastic).

I sometimes impose a rule on myself not to make use of steel/plastic until I've obtained it through an ordinary channel. Sometimes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shumagorath posted:

Hell's Thermos is stable and about to get reliable oxygen going, though without having the map in TNI I would definitely be dead. It's ironic that I found the map based on natural gas output yet once I can access steel and plastic I'll be able to run the place on geothermal power alone.

Just don't get greedy. I've tried those volcano maps a few times because the heat management sounds fun...only for me to crack open way too much hot rock for my first geothermal plants and have it immediately overheat. The worst were the times I would get good enough to let myself be lulled into a false sense of security because my geothermal plant lasted multiple cycles, giving me time to rip apart my old power plant and THEN the sucker would overheat.

...The race to insulate around any abyssalite gaps is actually really fun though and it's crazy how only 7-8 tiles separates "comfortably warm" from "Scalding and taking damage" temperatures.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'll post pics but thanks to my airlock door mod I have a great opportunity for cheap power and will still be segmenting and oxygenating my main base to be able to fail open w.r.t. atmo suits. I plan to make use of all the natural gas around me but right now I need suits to move in 70% of the perimeter around my base.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the incubator ratio for a drecko stable? Assuming I crack excess eggs.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

What's the incubator ratio for a drecko stable? Assuming I crack excess eggs.

I think the formula is life time divided by incubation time. 150/33 = 1 unpowered incubator for 4.5ish dreckos. 150/6 = 1 powered incubator for 25 dreckos.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shadow0 posted:

Can pacu survive in magma?
I went back several pages looking for someone's pacu hell-farm and this got me wondering: How easily could one make a super-ethical magma kill chamber?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

I went back several pages looking for someone's pacu hell-farm and this got me wondering: How easily could one make a super-ethical magma kill chamber?

Thank you for reminding me of this. If you don't do it, I'm going to try it.

If you do do it, I'm still gonna try it...

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Anyone looking for a kind of ridiculous Rime Map

S-FRZ-1316009818-0

6 Nueral Vacilators
2 Iron volcanos
3 AETNs (2 right next to each other)
Cool slush vent

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
How is everyone keeping millions of calories of food without it going off?

All my ingredients sit in a co2 environment, and the resulting cooked goods are transporter to a co2 pit with powered fridges in it as food drops in if there is space it's refrigerated, otherwise it should sit in a sterile environment

But I get everything eventually going off. Resulting in my 1million calories of fried mushrooms and bbq dropping to 200-300 k at some point I tried chlorine, but it doesn't seem to stay in a lit like co2. Does everything eventually decay despite the environment?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Roundboy posted:

How is everyone keeping millions of calories of food without it going off?

All my ingredients sit in a co2 environment, and the resulting cooked goods are transporter to a co2 pit with powered fridges in it as food drops in if there is space it's refrigerated, otherwise it should sit in a sterile environment

But I get everything eventually going off. Resulting in my 1million calories of fried mushrooms and bbq dropping to 200-300 k at some point I tried chlorine, but it doesn't seem to stay in a lit like co2. Does everything eventually decay despite the environment?

check for PO2 floating around which adds the "pollution exposure" modifier. Otherwise I've had food sit in CO2 forever and never saw any of it rot away

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LegoMan posted:

check for PO2 floating around which adds the "pollution exposure" modifier. Otherwise I've had food sit in CO2 forever and never saw any of it rot away

Also worth noting that if food goes off, then it starts offgassing polluted oxygen, which makes more food rot, which makes more PO2...

It can help to have a deeper pit of CO2 (3 tiles or so), and to make sure you oxygen pressure is high enough that the CO2 won't escape.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
my design was attempting to store my edible food right outside the great hall, so it would minimize travel.

i thought dupes walking iver it would keep the co2 topped off, and the fridge would help even more Ripped it all out, and I have the output shipping vent in a single vaccum tile right outside the same hall. They can diagonally reach it and continue into the mess tables to eat. I haven't had a norice in a while now.

It was getting absurd. 8 full hatch ranches producing eggs --> meat. and a 20 critter shove vole ranch also producing eggs into a drowing chamber. I was getting so much bbq (1 mil+) then it would al decay and i was hitting 0 calories at a couple points.

i have hit space and lunched before, but this i the first time i got as far as chemical rockets, and i just brought home enough space materials to make a liquid o2 and h2 plant, so i'll see how that rolls. none of the planets up to the 40k ring have isoresin, so i hope i didnt need the really good insulation. Viscogel would be nice

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Roundboy posted:

You don't need to refrigerate food in sterile atmosphere, it never spoils. Just use unpowered refrigerators or dump it on the floor. Chlorine's main advantage is it kills food poisoning, so even if some germs get into your food/water it doesn't matter.

If it spoiled then your pit wasn't sterile - a drop of water on the floor where the refrigerator is or a square of oxygen floating about can ruin your storage, even faster if it's polluted water/oxygen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

is electricity packetized under the hood?

i was trying to figure out wtf was wrong with an air cooler this morning, the aquatuner kept saying No Power even though it was on conductive wire off two transformers backed by massive energy supplies, and total potential was <2kW. Putting a battery on the cooler circuit - so the wrong side of the transformer - fixed the problem, but I don't understand why it was necessary.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

You don't need to refrigerate food in sterile atmosphere, it never spoils. Just use unpowered refrigerators or dump it on the floor. Chlorine's main advantage is it kills food poisoning, so even if some germs get into your food/water it doesn't matter.

If it spoiled then your pit wasn't sterile - a drop of water on the floor where the refrigerator is or a square of oxygen floating about can ruin your storage, even faster if it's polluted water/oxygen.

is food in a powered refrigerator completely safe from spoilage in any atmosphere? I'm right drat tired of the pressures getting messed up and the Unrefrigerated Food alert continually dis/reappearing as one tile of O2 bobbles around again

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

i was trying to figure out wtf was wrong with an air cooler this morning, the aquatuner kept saying No Power even though it was on conductive wire off two transformers backed by massive energy supplies, and total potential was <2kW. Putting a battery on the cooler circuit - so the wrong side of the transformer - fixed the problem, but I don't understand why it was necessary.
Post the circuit?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

If you have a smart battery controlling your main generators, it needs to tell them to come on when it's 10-20% full, otherwise it'll run down to zero, switch everything off for a tick and only then switch on the generators. It's either that or some of your generators have entered an intermittent fail state.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aethernet posted:

If you have a smart battery controlling your main generators, it needs to tell them to come on when it's 10-20% full, otherwise it'll run down to zero, switch everything off for a tick and only then switch on the generators. It's either that or some of your generators have entered an intermittent fail state.

The power plant battery is set to 90/60, haven't seem a reason to do anything else yet. Good thing these generators don't have ramp-up or shutdown losses :v:

What I now see I forgot to mention this morning is the loss of power to the aquatuner was sporadic. It'd stay on a while then turn off - which made it sure LOOK like a brownout, but everything else on the circuit was fine. No overloads, mixed wires, empty batteries, broken generators -- nothin'

All the heavy wires here are on the main spine. When I was having the problem this morning, the battery you can see next to the transformers wasn't there (but the conductive wire was). Soon as I added the battery the problem vanished; haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 28, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Ciaphas posted:

The power plant battery is set to 90/60, haven't seem a reason to do anything else yet. Good thing these generators don't have ramp-up or shutdown losses :v:

What I now see I forgot to mention this morning is the loss of power to the aquatuner was sporadic. It'd stay on a while then turn off - which made it sure LOOK like a brownout, but everything else on the circuit was fine. No overloads, mixed wires, empty batteries, broken generators -- nothin'

All the heavy wires here are on the main spine. When I was having the problem this morning, the battery you can see next to the transformers wasn't there (but the conductive wire was). Soon as I added the battery the problem vanished; haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

IIRC It doesn’t matter if you have two small transformers like that, they’ll only supply 1kw on that downstream end which is below the tuners needs. The fact it worked at all is the transformers have a small internal battery. The battery is fixing that with its backup capacity.

Switch that pair to a large transformer.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 28, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well that's bloody irritating, those stupid things put 4k on a 2k wire so I have to add up every consumer on that circuit if I don't want overloads :mad:

(e) or... hover over the wire and read the tooltip that's been in my face for 50 hours now :eng99:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 28, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I might be wrong there are posts out there saying to use 2 smalls like that and it should work but I feel like I had similar problems to that before. I’m not at a place I can check.

EDIT: Large transformers will not put 4kw into the 2kw wire unless the active draw is that much, and that line will absolutely not exceed that given what’s in that photo.

I have like 40 total potential kilowatts drawing from 5-6 transformers, they feed 4 branch lines that are regular conductive wire downstream. It all depends on active draw per line.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 28, 2020

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Two transformers is the way to get keep exactly 2kw on an overloaded conductive circuit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pyromancer posted:

I had mine go off once due to changing pressures, so I just toss a deodorizer on the edge of the pit to kill any polluted O2 that forms, and store the food under a level that's high traffic with some air flow tiles above it so even if it loses some CO2 at some point it refills on it's own naturally.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Re: Transformer chat

So rather then switching to large transformers, running conductive wire, and 'wasting' the potential of 2kw of power, people build two small transformers, and just link them together to get exactly the capacity of conductive wire?

I realized I was leaving capacity on the table, and decades running heavy conductive wire to my stuff, but I have too many breaks in walls, etc that would need a joint plate.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ciaphas posted:

is food in a powered refrigerator completely safe from spoilage in any atmosphere? I'm right drat tired of the pressures getting messed up and the Unrefrigerated Food alert continually dis/reappearing as one tile of O2 bobbles around again

It'll still spoil in polluted water or polluted oxygen even when refrigerated, but other than those two refrigeration will keep food freshness stable.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 29, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Transformers have an internal battery, I'm not sure how fast they charge or drain, but that might be an issue.

Two small transformers is pretty good, just remember they generate twice as much heat. I usually only use them for circuits with intermittent-use items like sweepers.

Another strategy for food is to have a sealed off pit accessible only to a sweeper that refills a fridge the dupes can reach. I have my food hole at the end of a room with a tall lip. Dupes never cross over it or anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Radio posted:

Two transformers is the way to get keep exactly 2kw on an overloaded conductive circuit.

Sure wish I knew why not having that battery made the aquatuner so sporadic, then; that drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

New question since I'm in here: when is it :airquote: a good time to breach space and start building up there? I have all the research tree done, have steel & plastic, food is stable, water is seemingly stable for now but I've got a steam vent to tame first. 10 dupes, right around cycle 200 atm.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can do it any time, it's not a big deal at all. just make sure you breach surface after you built an airlock so you don't get shoves in your asteroid

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Accidentally venting your atmosphere into space is amazing and everyone should do it at least once

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

New question since I'm in here: when is it :airquote: a good time to breach space and start building up there? I have all the research tree done, have steel & plastic, food is stable, water is seemingly stable for now but I've got a steam vent to tame first. 10 dupes, right around cycle 200 atm.

if you build a ghetto setup you can launch a steam rocket or 3 to pick up some early space materials, which makes an industrial brick or further space setup WAY easier

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Accidentally venting your atmosphere into space is amazing and everyone should do it at least once

you'll forgive me if i save first, but yeah that does sound like a good lol :v:

(e: i just imagined building a temporary SAFETY CUBE for the dupes and locking em in with food & needs while the rest of the asteroid (including the rest of the original base) is vacuumed clean of stray chlorine, nat gas, etc; and later replacing it all with plain old O2. This air will be clean)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 29, 2020

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

you'll forgive me if i save first, but yeah that does sound like a good lol :v:

(e: i just imagined building a temporary SAFETY CUBE for the dupes and locking em in with food & needs while the rest of the asteroid (including the rest of the original base) is vacuumed clean of stray chlorine, nat gas, etc; and later replacing it all with plain old O2. This air will be clean)

that's pretty much how I have my entire living setup. A square large enough for 20 bedrooms (I only have 14 dupes and I'm already getting nervous) with checkpoint going in and a waterlock preventing my ultra pure oxygen atmosphere from leaking out.

I'm thinking of switching to a pod system so that every dupe has their own checkpoint with the only communal entrances being to the recreation area.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I still haven't exhausted even half my bootstrapped supply of plastic, so I never bothered to set up an oil refinery for petroleum. Good thing: turns out there's a volcano right under my base! I gather these are used to contain magma to make petroleum boilers, but letting loose stuff like this where a mistake could doom me 100 cycles down the line? But my weird little terrarium I've built :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
a pair of steam turbines will completely swamp a full size volcano. they're pretty nothing ultimately.

liquid lock early, vacuum out, mine everything with suits. dupes can work directly on boiling hot obsidian in a vacuum without issue.