Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
okay, I guess that's what we're posting when someone comes in and ask which game to start with now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/GustAtelierPR/status/1298456024718831617

half a million copies??

e:

https://twitter.com/Stellatiria/status/1298638884713238532

more characters

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 26, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://imgur.com/a/YD2RG0M#sMgjnsd

Lent is indeed rocking the shirtless Gurren Lagann look

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

They cut out the part of the picture that shows his Stand

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

cheetah7071 posted:

https://imgur.com/a/YD2RG0M#sMgjnsd

Lent is indeed rocking the shirtless Gurren Lagann look

theres a lot going on here

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
looks like he's storing his nipples inside those pouches

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
are knights allowed to walk around topless like that

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a whole set of Summer outfits that are being shared on twitter now.

https://twitter.com/GustAtelierPR/status/1304393274312937473

Thread. Lent should be shown off soon.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
even in summer outfits, there's nipple pockets

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1309840142249521153

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
oh god, they got the shirokuma cafe people to write the theme song. I still think the Rainbow Summer is the best though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

maybe it's because i'm in the weeds with shallie DX but there's stuff from this trailer about finding the truth behind their world that remind me a lot about the dusk games

especially since empel is back and you can easily draw some parallels between him and keithgriff

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI Koei Tecmo America (but not EU) added a visual smear when Serri does an attack and re-arranged the summer outfit DLC page to hide her butt. It's got the horny anime twitter dudes in a frenzy right now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It was very clearly an edit to the trailer, not an edit to the game--the footage was still the Japanese one.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

It was very clearly an edit to the trailer, not an edit to the game--the footage was still the Japanese one.

The trailer got posted to the Playstation YouTube page so it got to the people who act like Sony shot their dog when they cover an anime tiddy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I'll buy the Switch version

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Guess I'll buy the Switch version

KT is making it a habit to censor on all platforms. If Ryza 2 does end up censored on PS4, the changes will likely come to all platforms in the West.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Dehry posted:

The trailer got posted to the Playstation YouTube page so it got to the people who act like Sony shot their dog when they cover an anime tiddy.

the /r/atelier discord sounds like a wild place

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

here are my atelier thoughts so far.. i've played through rorona a couple of years ago, and then bought atelier iris and mana khemia, and then the dusk trilogy is available on PS Now through streaming (ps3 versions unfortunately). i was thinking about what platforms to get the rest on, apparently the Switch is a mixed bag for atelier games, especially Arland series, so maybe I'd get them on PS4 to stream to the Vita. anyhoo

rorona plus - agreed with the OP that this is a good introductory game although I played it on Vita natively and man... Vita had some framerate difficulties... on a lot of games.. and this had some too. i liked sooome of the characters, not astrid sorry. cory and rorona's dynamic was good. i liked the structure of the game and it's what i prefer in general, getting an assignment done and then chilling out for a bit. it's been a while since i played it but from what i remember the game doesn't really punish you if you choose not to invest in attack items, i just kind of played it like a regular jrpg while using alchemy to fulfill the requirements. so i played it all wrong, but i still got the normal ending. i have good memories of this one as just a game i could lay in bed playing when everything in the world felt crappy. the main workshop music is the best and still gets stuck in my head.

mana khemia - the structure of this game is a bit weird to me. i like the sphere grid esque system, i think that's fun. some battles really kicked my rear end though, it's not as gentle as the modern atelier games. also battles take a lot longer, which is not ideal. there's a lot of empty feeling to the game because you can run around the school and talk to all the students but so little of it is of any consequence. the later ateliers had it right to keep each 'room' small and to the point. the main workshop music is a bop though. i put this one off because i wasn't feeling it super hard, i may come back to it later. the exploration/combat are just not very fun to me which is a major problem

ayesha - played it earlier this month. i like the characters in ayesha more than rorona, although i much prefer the structure of rorona. it's way too free-form here, where quests just seem to trigger at random, sometimes a side quest and sometimes an important story quest. and you end up having to warp back and forth between rooms over and over to make sure there are no scenes left to trigger. i haven't played the rest of the arland series but at least with the dusk trilogy, attack items are a must and i learned to get good at crafting powerful ones. no real difficulty spikes, the final boss went down in the first try. the combat is a bit of a mixed bag, it's a bit more engaging than rorona's but the support system felt like it was dragging things down, something about the pacing was off. i did like the world map, having multiple towns with their own scenes and requests was interesting (did rorona have that or was just just the central hub town? i honestly don't remember). i was disappointed that you couldn't play as marion (at least in the base game?)...

escha to logy - and you still can't in E&L what the gently caress!! she's stuck behind a desk not getting to have fun. you also can't have linca in the party which is a major blemish. but otherwise i preferred E&L to ayesha by a mile. it retains most of the best characters from ayesha, while having a structure more akin to rorona with term assignments. the bingo card is a great system and i always tried to fill it out until the last couple of terms when it started to seem implausible (only later did I realize that postgame you can go back to old term cards and finish them?). i didn't lose in battle until gullvieg, which is a major test of your alchemy powers, perhaps the matador of atelier???? the guides made it sound like a pushover but you really need to be able to stack damage and debuffs on it in a hurry. the alchemy system is at its best here, the bonus property menu is great, making absurd weapons that do all-element damage and light up a rainbow of damage numbers on the screen (normal attacks actually did more damage than skills/supports lol). the support system and combat in general are faster paced here and it doesn't drag like ayesha did, for the most part. the double draw, research converting supports to area damage, and the special supports all make a nice little puzzle of 'who should i queue up in what order to get the highest damage rate the fastest'.

i have not tried iris yet, the next one i will play will likely be shallie. living in a major city, ps now streaming runs really well (input lag of maybe 100ms at most) and is perfect for atelier, but i'm glad i'm not on an internet that has data caps!!!

character tier list for dusk so far

s: marion, linca, wilbell, escha
a: ayesha, nio, katla, threia
b: regina, keithgriff, marietta, fred
c: lucille, harry, logy, harry, nanaca
d: reyfer, colland, micie, juris
f: awin, ernie, ranun

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Marion was DLC in Ayesha. Not sure what you mean by not having Linca in the party in E&L, she joins you pretty early.

I think Totori on Switch is fine but Meruru on Switch is pretty crashy. It's not a major issue as long as you save regularly and branch saves but the fact that you have to sucks. I haven't played Shallie on Switch but I really really recommend you play something other than the PS3 version--in addition to all the DLC characters coming packaged in (which is true of all the ports for all the games), it adds Logy and Ayesha, who are otherwise completely absent, and adds a new, more satisfying ending.

e: if you're the type who goes ending-hunting, Meruru's ports have a bonus ending if you meet the right requirements which was free DLC on the PS3 version but PSNow doesn't have DLC

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 29, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Marion was DLC in Ayesha. Not sure what you mean by not having Linca in the party in E&L, she joins you pretty early.
you're right, I must've been thinking of a different character. i think Wilbell. who probably is a DLC character

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

you're right, I must've been thinking of a different character. i think Wilbell. who probably is a DLC character

She is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you continue on to shallie, you pick your main character again like in E&L but they're a bit more different this time. I think shalistera is supposed to have a slightly more engaging story but Shallotte gets Wilbell as a major character

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Shalotte feels a lot more like you're just playing the next Dusk game while Shalistera is for newcomers and she doesn't meet any really important returning characters until much later.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

the /r/atelier discord sounds like a wild place

It's festering in all the worst places of the internet and will be brought up until well after the western game release. Sony's policy change was two years ago for anime games and there are still people salty over some visual novel having light beams applied over certain scenes and Senran Kagura having a grabby hands mode removed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean both those changes sucked because they came so late in those games' development, after theyd already been approved by sony, that it had a financial impact on the companies.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

If you’re playing the DX versions on the switch or PS4 or steam then you get all the DLC characters anyway

and yeah with Shallie, I’d say that a lot of Stera’s route exclusive events are concentrated in chapter 7 (and you meet Ayesha a bit earlier) while Lotte’s events are more evenly distributed for after they meet

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1311364924778528768

Ryza Switch reprint incoming.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/toridamono/status/1311981572128555009?s=19
:nws:

:eyepop: Lila swimsuit figure announced.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getting in on the splits meme early

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Im sure that's not how legs work.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Only once, and then they usually stop working at all.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i don't think i've ever seen logy look as derpy as when he and escha are triggering their shared ultimate move in shallie

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
so far Ryza 2 has not yet made the mistake of having an NPC with a design cool enough I just wish they were playable, like both Lulua and Ryza 1 did

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

it was a real dick move to make you pay $20 to play Totori and Meruru in Lulua imo

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1316733566848385024

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tweet is from a banned account

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol how'd that account get banned, they're just a news aggregator

it was the global release date announcement for ryza 2, january 26 i think. ps4 version will upgrade to ps5 version for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Neat