Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
So as insane as this might sound what are the odds of SF turning out to be Homelanders mother/egg donor? I mean if your plan is to create the most powerful super it seems using genetic material from the first and one of the most power supers in existence at the time seems like a no brainer from Vought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

Is this a WWZ reference? I've never heard quisling in the context of racism, and drat.

You should google where the word came from.

He was literally a nazi collaborator.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

frgildan posted:

So as insane as this might sound what are the odds of SF turning out to be Homelanders mother/egg donor? I mean if your plan is to create the most powerful super it seems using genetic material from the first and one of the most power supers in existence at the time seems like a no brainer from Vought.

That's what happens in the comics, but they took such a different take on almost everything else that at the moment it's really "who knows".

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

withak posted:

You should google where the word came from.

He was literally a nazi collaborator.
Oh poo poo. I had no idea, I only knew it from World War Z.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Alchenar posted:

Nah, there's Edgar's age, his position in the company, his knowledge of Vought's true history, his close connection to Stormfront and collaboration on the Compound-V research, all point to him being at least a little bit of a Nazi.

I don't think Stormfront is making up the fact that Vought's secret goal is world domination and I don't think that's inconsistent with Edgar saying that the core of Vought's business model is Compound V. Stormfront and Edgar collaborating on making an adult-safe version of Compound V means they are aligned on what the corporation is doing, and if they succeed then Edgar gets to join the supe master-race. They might have different goals, but I still think it's open that they currently are aligned and might be moving apart.

One possibility - if Edgar actually knew Vought and worked with him to build the company then that would make him lifelong friends with Stormfront. She did not reveal that connection to Homelander, which might be deliberate or accidental implication.

edgar can know about the nazi stuff, he just doesnt need to care about it.

im not sure there’s a justification to force a motive on the human embodiment of company that’s more complex than wanting the sweet, sweet cash that would come with selling a bunch of (white) elites a wonder drug

e: a theme of the show is not just the greed of capitalistic institutions, but that they are shameless and uninterested in anything except their own perpetuation. they’ll gladly market to both Christian conservatives angry about “the gays” and progressives who want more LGBTQ+ woman superheroes. it doesn’t matter to them. profit is profit.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 26, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The entire stuff with lamplighter was pretty good. The other stuff was pretty boring. Good episode though.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Edgar absolutely believes in a master race as well, it's just determined by money instead of skin color. I bet his end goal is remarkably similar to hers, with the world being ruled by a group of immortal demigods in some form or another.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
"Axe body spray, that must be what Vin Diesel smells like." Fantastic Riddick callback.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

baalaagaa posted:

The Church of the Collective is just Vought's home for wayward Supes right?
I lost it when Deep handed A-Train the Fresca.

Feel like Deep's actor is channelling Tom Cruise's weird, pneumatic pose-to-pose body language, post-conversion. Just massively nailing that completely alien, hello-fellow-humans vibe he has.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

im not sure there’s a justification to force a motive on the human embodiment of company that’s more complex than wanting the sweet, sweet cash that would come with selling a bunch of (white) elites a wonder drug

The last scene of the last episode is Stormfront literally saying that Vaught has a more complex motivation than wanting sweet sweet cash.

Also

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're all assuming Stormfront is a the majority share holder of Vought right?

Yes that's the only history of the character that makes sense. Which means that when Stormfront tells us what Vought's objectives are, we should take her at her word.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 26, 2020

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Speculation for later in the season:

I assume the show is repeatability reminding the viewers that Starlights power is connected with electricity so that there can be a fight where Homelander fails to defeat Stormfront but Starlight can.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

eSporks posted:

smdh

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's the Norwegian N word.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

I assume the show is repeatability reminding the viewers that Starlights power is connected with electricity so that there can be a fight where Homelander fails to defeat Stormfront but Starlight can.
Agreed.
There was also the scene in set trailer where Stormfront said something like "we will shoot our scene together soon" That combined with all the "I need electricity to harvest for my powers!" and they are definitely building up to a Stormfront vs starlight confrontation. I just noticed the names are similar too.

(almost) Baseless prediction Starlight is going to harvest so much power from Stormfront she loses control and does something bad, possibly killing a lot of people. This is going to play into the guilt she felt last episode killing the guy, but its also going to parallel Stormfront slaughtering everyone in that apartment building. Stormfront/Voight/Homelander might even use this to advance her agenda and turn the public against Starlight, possibly with some leaked cell phone video.

Very minor spoiler alluding to something in that Aya Cash interview.
"Everybody on The Boys seems like they get coated with tons of blood and entrails at some point in the show. Did the rest of the cast have to prepare you for what it’s like having to sit in makeup for that?
I lucked out, I don’t have much of that … until I do, let’s put it that way. They really got me near the end. I had something that took six and half hours of hair and makeup. But I just put a podcast in and conk out when it’s that long. You can chat for a while, but at a certain point you’re like, I have to rest."

I wonder if this is just about the laser tits or something else? Probably something else.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm the brief shot of the dead guy's kid's car seat.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's a mistake, you always end the bloodline

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

The episode 7 sneak peak from the Episode 6 aftershow has Stormfront and Homelander visiting Ryan and Becca, with Homelander saying they will be around a lot more to start a proper family which will probably lead to Becca making a break with Ryan and begging Butcher to help which was in the episode summary from before

Man it would be so deliciously satisfying if Stormfront tries to pressure Ryan just like Homelander did but Ryans lasers are so much stronger and actually kills Stormfront.

Basically I just wanna see Stormfront die? But I also dont, because shes fun to hate. Either way, Ryan doing it would be great. He could represent how Zoomers are our only hope for finally removing this really old flavor of fascism.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

People are obsessed with the idea that this or that supe could actually take down Homelander

"Stormfront can tank his lasers and..."
"Starlight could charge herself up, so..."
"The Deep could drown him if..."
"The headcrusher lady is probably..."

Give it up. If he gets serious about it he goes through any of them like a knife through hot butter, which is why he's the kind of problem he is

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Crespolini posted:

People are obsessed with the idea that this or that supe could actually take down Homelander

"Stormfront can tank his lasers and..."
"Starlight could charge herself up, so..."
"The Deep could drown him if..."
"The headcrusher lady is probably..."

Give it up. If he gets serious about it he goes through any of them like a knife through hot butter, which is why he's the kind of problem he is

Stormfront having the power to defeat him would be consistent with her being the original supe. I don't think anyone else has a chance. Also Homelander ego is so constructed on being invincible being emasculated by losing a fight would drive him to a way darker place than he already is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, that or its setting up A scene where Starlight is fighting with The Boys, but she doesn't have her powers so can't just magic the problem away.

Crespolini posted:

Strong disagree. Translucent was invulnerable until he wasn't. We do not know the limits of Homelander's powers. Not knowing creates fear and is part of his power; but that doesn't mean he is unkillable.

For all we know, he has some major kryptonite that would completely wreck him, its just nobody knows what it is yet. But even without an obvious flaw, he could still be killable but just so feared that nobody dares to try to find out what all it would take.

He's definitely, unarguably one of the most powerful. But I don't think Stomfront is like, waaaaaaay more fragile than he is or anything. If anything maybe he's a bit more strong, that's all.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 26, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Speculation about who can beat Homelander avoids the best part of his character- how several people by now have figured out how to effectively handle him by his ego and mental issues, but it's never a long term solution and always ends up biting them in the end because he's always going to turn on you

Remind you of another blond?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GD_American posted:

Speculation about who can beat Homelander avoids the best part of his character- how several people by now have figured out how to effectively handle him by his ego and mental issues, but it's never a long term solution and always ends up biting them in the end because he's always going to turn on you

HIllary?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GD_American posted:

Zack Morris?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Homelander's weakness: Poison milk

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GD_American posted:

Vegeta.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Homelander's weakness: Poison milk

Quick, somebody slip an unpasteurized bottle into his trailer

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're all assuming Stormfront is a the majority share holder of Vought right?

100% there's no way she would give up control of her husband's company, it just wouldn't happen under normal greedy circumstances, but who is gonna stop her?

Breakfast Burrito posted:

presuming he means trans women, being attracted to them is not evidence of him being bi, that would still make him straight.

it's a small thing but that joke really really annoyed me, i am thoroughly enjoying this show but it is extremely poo poo in TYOOL 2020 to still be used as a punchline for a joke

FWIW, this scene really stuck out in my mind specifically because it seemed really well handled: Frenchie is promoting it because he wants trans strippers, and MM literally says "thanks man, strippers just aren't my thing, with or without nuts" and then we get another amazing MM moment when his eyes light up thinking of spending a week golfing.

I am Bi and having my favorite character in the show and the one who I respond to the most being Bi makes me feel SO GOOD! Seeing him in a weird drug-fueled throuple was awesome and i forgive the show for absolutely wasting him for the last 2 episodes, this payoff was very Frenchie-centric and it was great.

EPISODE THOUGHTS:
Starlight losing her soul is sad and hard to watch, but I'm also detecting weird tension between her and Butcher. Am I totally insane for thinknig they might be foreshadowing some kind of dark Buffy/Spike relationship that destroys Hughie and drives a wedge between everyone? I really don't know

Stormfront being Homelander's Grandma still feels like a very real possibility.

This show has gone to extraordinary, painstaking depths to try and humanize Homelander, A-Train, and The Deep despite them being disgusting murderers and rapists. like the citizens of the show's world, the show doesn't work if they are all these monolithic alien gods, like Black Noir. Their insecurity, their need for love and attention, their inability to accept their limitations, all of these things are more than 99% of villains in shows get even in 2020.

The entire hospital sequence was just awesome, this show has really knocked it out of the park. Love Sausage and literal Akira both were horrifying.

Kimiko's knucks uwu

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I was a bit sad to see that 11 grows up with unresolved anger issues, though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

That Italian Guy posted:

I was a bit sad to see that 11 grows up with unresolved anger issues, though.

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

Probably deal with Homelander by sending him to the phantom zone upside down.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Based on Homelander's relationship with Mallory I could see a "Stormfront = grandma" plot twist going either way with him. Either he'll be suuuuper (:haw:) into it or he'll snap and kill her for lying and ruining his chance at making a "real American family" with her and his kid.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Based on Homelander's relationship with Mallory I could see a "Stormfront = grandma" plot twist going either way with him. Either he'll be suuuuper (:haw:) into it or he'll snap and kill her for lying and ruining his chance at making a "real American family" with her and his kid.

I was SO CERTAIN her 'confession' was gonna be "I'm your mommy" and him just jumping into bone Town regardless.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

eSporks posted:

A book which explicitly states the origin of the word :psyduck:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Something tells me that if Homelander ever finds his birth parents he'll kill them on sight for letting him go through his awful childhood.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Giggling like an idiot right now thinking of bioshuffle watching this episode and having his mind blown by the reveal, googling “backwards pinwheel wedding photo!?!” to sus out the mysterious symbol above the Voughts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Giggling like an idiot right now thinking of bioshuffle watching this episode and having his mind blown by the reveal, googling “backwards pinwheel wedding photo!?!” to sus out the mysterious symbol above the Voughts

Oh wow, Stormfront is Hindu

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

(obviously reading from phone in hand) "The swastika continues to be used as a symbol of good luck and prosperity in Hindu and Buddhist countries such as Nepal, India, Mongolia, China and Japan. It is also commonly used in Hindu marriage ceremonies."

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Quick, somebody slip an unpasteurized bottle into his trailer

Homelander's one weakness.

Salmonella.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

GD_American posted:

(obviously reading from phone in hand) "The swastika continues to be used as a symbol of good luck and prosperity in Hindu and Buddhist countries such as Nepal, India, Mongolia, China and Japan. It is also commonly used in Hindu marriage ceremonies."

I don't like this narrative because it takes away from his idiot post after this episode where he was like "wow guys what a twist!"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grem posted:

I don't like this narrative because it takes away from his idiot post after this episode where he was like "wow guys what a twist!"

It's how the narrative usually mutates, pretty soon it's *sniff* actually, when it's left-handed it's called a sauwistika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

GD_American posted:

Nope. Recognized the Swastika right away. Especially as a history buff with an interest in WWII.

The Nazis had a big interest in the occult, and they also were interested in the idea of creating super soldiers.

Makes for an interesting read. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/65788-world-war-ii-nazis-methamphetamines.html

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 26, 2020