Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

phasmid posted:

We are trying to give Paul an intervention but he keeps foreseeing it.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Bubblyblubber posted:

Anyways, I was just wondering how should I eyeball my spice? Like should I just rub spice blow sand in my eyes?

As that one Atreides soldier explained after their arrival on Arrakis, you wipe your rear end with it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

phasmid posted:

We are trying to give Paul an intervention but he keeps foreseeing it.

They tried to make me go to rehab but I said “my skin is not my own”

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mossyfisk posted:

Can you actually pay the Guild to take your House, shields and atomics to a secret planet and leave the empire forever?

Or do you think they just leave you in space somewhere and laugh about it.

Is there anywhere to go? Or are all the remotely habitable planets already claimed?
Does the empire fill the whole galaxy? I mean, galaxies could reasonably be defined as "rather large"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Something like 99.9% of the galaxy is totally unexplored I think, it's a major part of the later books.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mossyfisk posted:

Something like 99.9% of the galaxy is totally unexplored I think, it's a major part of the later books.

Really!? So why is everyone locked into the ghastly imperium and kanly and chamaurky if there's all that free real estate out there?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

mossyfisk posted:

It's not even the galaxy. It's all of space.

Chapterhouse posted:

"Odrade could appreciate Bellonda's feelings. We have never seen empty space. Always more galaxies.Tam's right. It's daunting when you focus on that Golden Path."

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Really!? So why is everyone locked into the ghastly imperium and kanly and chamaurky if there's all that free real estate out there?

You: a colonist ready to explore and conquer the galaxy.

The spacing guild: *sucking air between teeth whilst hammering an antiquate calculator machine making cha-ching noises* Your budget would land you 5km's from here.

This is stagnant feudal society in which the peasants are the means of production, so you are going nowhere because Baron Harkonnen isn't done extracting surplus value from you. Unless your liege is an Atreides your life is going to suck a million dicks per second, and even then you would only have to suck a thousand of them.

The imperium is a stagnant, coddled and crushing society in which all the major sources of power have no incentive to push their boundaries.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 26, 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Theory: Dune is retirement community for universe spanning space worm empire

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hump day bitches! posted:

You: a colonist ready to explore and conquer the galaxy.

The transport guild: *sucking air between teeth whilst hammering an antiquate calculator machine making cha-ching noises* Your budget would land you 5km's from here.

This is stagnant feudal society in which the peasants are the means of production, so you are going nowhere because Baron Harkonnen isn't done extracting surplus value from you. Unless your liege is an Atreides your life is going to suck a million dicks per second, and even then you would only have to suck a thousand of them.

The imperium is a stagnant, coddled and crushing society in which all the major sources of power have no incentive to push their boundaries.

Excuse me it's spelt faufreluches

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Also all the spice is in the Empire, so if you go somewhere else you're either still a customer of the guild and under Imperial control, or you're stuck there (until you invent alternative interstellar travel tech).

e: VVV if it was easy the smugglers, fremen, scheming dukes etc. would all have already done it.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

You could just ignore the spacing guild by building, I dunno, some kind of machine that can do calculations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
christ could you imagine having to come up with a computer in dune society? It'd be insane. They probably don't even have vacuum tubes but they have assassination drones.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Sappho: it's food for the brain! (TM)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Also if laser+shield = big explosions why didn't they try to weaponize it

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Jfc, and the serfs wonder why they have to be kept on a leash. Hit that semuta and stop thinking, we have mentats for that

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Someone probably came up with a computer and left as quickly as they could.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

its unclear how much people in dune even know about what thinking machines do any more. its been a long rear end time since the jihad and i dont know if most people know that a machine could do the foldspace calculations

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

Because it’s completely unpredictable. Sometimes it’s a big boom. More often it’s a small one, or even one that just takes out the shield/lashing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its unclear how much people in dune even know about what thinking machines do any more. its been a long rear end time since the jihad and i dont know if most people know that a machine could do the foldspace calculations

Imagine being born in like 15thC and getting the idea "what if a machine... could think?"

Where would you even start? building a golem or some poo poo? Even just 30, 50, 70 years ago people had absolutely insane ideas about how AI could possibly work.

The machine mentality is heavily suppressed in dune society, so... what would living in it actually be like? I don't even know.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It couldn't be a serf, it would have to be a bored younger son of a noble house playing around with the technology behind lasguns or spaceships.

If you can build a laser rifle, you can build a microprocessor.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What if it's just series of lobotomized serfs with abacuses

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Universe Master posted:

You could just ignore the spacing guild by building, I dunno, some kind of machine that can do calculations.

Look at this mothefucker trying to skirt around the terms of the great convention.Enjoy having Sardaukar showing up and skin you alive or something.

To be fair the whole point of the book is an internal collapse of a rotten empire only alive by pure inertia, escaping can be a pretty cool tale but that's not the Atreides way.

Also I reached the whole vaginal pulsations and 250 sex positions part of Heretics of dune and that book is just horny, even the clock in the harkonnen no-globe is horny.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 26, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

There's no FTL communications right? So if someone goes exile they're basically hosed until 90 generations later when their 'oh god help me' message finally reaches a guild listening post?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just have a self sustainable generation ship ezpz

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

What if it's just series of lobotomized serfs with abacuses

I too enjoyed A Deepness in the Sky

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
There's a cool part in one of the trisolaris books where a dude builds a computer out of dudes with flags and simple logical instructions. Like the the guys are a NAND. These are an OR. Etc.

Here's a description

a guy posted:

At one point, Yang helps the civilization in the game invent a computer — which they create entirely with human labor. Using hundreds of thousands of soldiers who act as bits (they hold a flag up or down to indicate 1 or 0), they create logic gates, a CPU, a bus (people racing on horses between different parts of the human motherboard), and more. When the bits “malfunction,” they are killed by their king.

niethan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 26, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Nah, it's made clear that the resulting explosion is indistinguishable from atomics, which are against The Great Convention, whose forms must be obeyed.

It's somewhat ironic too, since Pauls use of atomics to get to Shaddam IV is likely what increased the use of atomics to the point that a Stoneburner was used to attack (and blind) him.

TK-42-1 posted:

There's no FTL communications right? So if someone goes exile they're basically hosed until 90 generations later when their 'oh god help me' message finally reaches a guild listening post?
Writing a message on a piece of paper and sending it on a ship going on a Highliner is still FTL, but Dune has no science fiction mechanism for sending messages through subspace or anything of that sort.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

D. Ebdrup posted:

Nah, it's made clear that the resulting explosion is indistinguishable from atomics, which are against The Great Convention, whose forms must be obeyed.
I guess Duncan never got the memo.

E: oops guess I misread that.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Something I don’t quite understand is that Paul is specifically referred to as being in many places at once - or at least being able. This is after his KH abilities manifest.

I originally thought that it was because he’s a navigator now and can fold space, but it doesn’t mean he would literally be in two places at the same time.

Is it just hand waving? Is tthis a fancy way of describing his ability to access the male side of other memory? Is he some kind of four-dimensional being now and really can be many places at the same instance of time?

ilovebeersooomuch fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 26, 2020

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

niethan posted:

There's a cool part in one of the trisolaris books where a dude builds a computer out of dudes with flags and simple logical instructions. Like the the guys are a NAND. These are an OR. Etc.

Here's a description

lol this would surely be insanely impractical and pointless. You'd be better off using a literal mechanical crank machine made out of wood cogs or something.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

mossyfisk posted:

Can you actually pay the Guild to take your House, shields and atomics to a secret planet and leave the empire forever?
Yes. See: Tupile.

e: It's not a secret though, just outside of Imperial space.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol this would surely be insanely impractical and pointless. You'd be better off using a literal mechanical crank machine made out of wood cogs or something.

Sounds like you're suggesting a thinking machine 🤫

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

They do.

When the Atreides first arrive in Arrakis, they scour the region for lasers with timers pointed at the castle's shields, planted by the departing Harkonnens.

And later, when on the run, Duncan Idaho hides active shields in possible shelter-spots along the way, knowing that the Harkonnen would lase everything in sight, and causes a massive boom.

But yeah, otherwise, the factions tend to rely on more controllable weapons. Besides, with most of the conflict being centered around taking possession of fiefs, large-scale destruction both ruins your future domain and gets rival Houses wary that you may be throwing Atomics around.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it actually makes a kind of sense for the trisolarans, who are the makers of the game, and trying to...uhh...communicate with earth? actually in retrospect i don't understand why they made that game. because they didn't understand lying yet?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

hump day bitches! posted:

Also I reached the whole vaginal pulsations and 250 sex positions part of Heretics of dune and that book is just horny, even the clock in the harkonnen no-globe is horny.

I read that book at a way too young age. FH got dirty in his old age.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The guild doesn't have a monopoly on folding space. Ix can do that too. Their monopoly is on the navigators, who know when folding space would put them inside of a star, or something

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Also if you try and make a calculating machine without anyone knowing BOOM now your sky is full of Guild ships with a bunch of angry ladies on board.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just because the Guild has floating vaginas doesn't make them ladies.

Manners does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

kiimo posted:

Just because the Guild has floating vaginas doesn't make them ladies.

Manners does

:captainpop: