Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

J. K. Rowling is also a repulsive bigot who uses her fame as a weapon and directly profits from anything Harry Potter-branded. I realize a kid's not necessarily going to get that but you really shouldn't support her if you can help it.

I was wondering when this would come up. Let kids be kids. The kid likes Harry Potter geezus. No, I'm no fan of hers, she's an idiot. But this doesn't mean much to a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Mayveena posted:

I was wondering when this would come up. Let kids be kids. The kid likes Harry Potter geezus. No, I'm no fan of hers, she's an idiot. But this doesn't mean much to a kid.

Exactly. I don't support her stance on trans people at all, and find her opinions reprehensible and wrong, but I'm not going to let my little girl miss out on a fun game of a world she is in love with because someone already richer than God will get a cut of my £30. She would understand the trans rights issue if I explained it to her, but it would taint something that is making her childhood magical and obviously gently caress that. Clearly not necessary.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 25, 2020

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Chinook posted:

I will say that the Harry Potter LEGO games are a little bit complicated and unfun. My currently 9 year old daughter bounced off of them. Lots of wandering and the goals are a little vague and confusing at times.

Both my kids enjoyed Lego Incredibles, despite the bugs, but I was hoping for something not Lego and a bit more immersively HP.

edit: it appears it's the only option on Switch and PS4 though

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 25, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah just pirate the Harry Potter game so she doesn't make money off it lol

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What if you just get them Hat of Time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
No. You teach that kid that she's wrong and punish her for liking the mean lady.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
She wants Fall Guys and apparently she's played Lego HP a bit on her iPad so just going to wait for Hogwarts Legacy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Me and my friend are looking for something akin to the old BattleForge that was killed off by EA.
It's a mix between a TCG and an RTS so probably anything with coop/pvp play that involves cards and RTS or TBS combat would interest us as long as it's not lane based, ala Clash Royale.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
So, bit of context here, I’ve never really gotten into FPS games. Think the most recent one I played was Fallout: New Vegas. With Cyberpunk 2077 coming up in a few months, I kinda feel like I should get reacquainted. I’ve got a PS4 Pro, so I’d be limited there. I’ve been thinking about giving Dishonored 2 or Borderlands 3 a shot.

Any other recommendations, or should I jump in with one of those?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mage Wars Arena?

generic one posted:

So, bit of context here, I’ve never really gotten into FPS games. Think the most recent one I played was Fallout: New Vegas. With Cyberpunk 2077 coming up in a few months, I kinda feel like I should get reacquainted. I’ve got a PS4 Pro, so I’d be limited there. I’ve been thinking about giving Dishonored 2 or Borderlands 3 a shot.

What shooters you like will probably depend on your other game preference, but one of my favorites is Mass Effect 2. You can get into a good groove with hiding behind cover and popping up to move forward, but if things start getting complicated, you can always pause to plan and get methodical about things.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 26, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

generic one posted:

Prey 2017 if you want a FPS/RPG

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

generic one posted:

FO:NV and Cyberpunk are both fps games with heavy rpg/story elements. In that vein, Dishonored 1+2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Prey 2, and Mass Effect 2 are all quite good and relatively easy to hop into. Perhaps Bioshock 2 or Remastered as well. The Outer Worlds is a slightly disappointing unofficial successor to New Vegas by the same studio.

Other highly acclaimed fps+stuff games are Stalker (Check the forum's Stalker thread for which iteration+mod is the best at the moment) and Alpha Protocol but they have their quirks and will likely be frustrating if you haven't played shooters in a while.

Just a note for everyone waiting for Cyberpunk: EYE: Divine Cybermancy still exists and is batshit insane.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 26, 2020

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

What shooters you like will probably depend on your other game preference, but one of my favorites is Mass Effect 2. You can get into a good groove with hiding behind cover and popping up to move forward, but if things start getting complicated, you can always pause to plan and get methodical about things.

Loved Mass Effect 2. Didn’t mention the ME series because those are like halfway between first and third person, but yeah, that one in particular was a ton of fun.

Hwurmp posted:

Prey 2017 if you want a FPS/RPG

I’ve heard nothing but good things about that one. Think we may have a winner here. Thanks!

Fruits of the sea posted:

The Outer Worlds is a slightly disappointing unofficial successor to New Vegas by the same studio.

That’s kind of the general sentiment I’ve seen about Outer Worlds. Was kinda sad that was the case, considering how awesome FO:NV was. Thanks for the warning there. :)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

some of the characters in outer worlds are pretty likable and kept me going through a lot of the significantly worse aspects of it for what it's worth

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

CYBEReris posted:

some of the characters in outer worlds are pretty likable and kept me going through a lot of the significantly worse aspects of it for what it's worth

Noted. Maybe I’ll check out the thread to get a better sense of the game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I loved Prey but i got stuck in it and stopped a couple years ago maybe I should start again

I was at some sort of mini boss that I'm not sure I was supposed to be at yet near the Atrium and couldn't kill it even tho I tried a bunch of times

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

generic one posted:

As far as straight up shooters are concerned, Doom (2016) and Wolfenstein: The New Order are both great entries. Personally I think its awesome that we can still recommend Doom and Wolfenstein in 2020.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I loved Prey but i got stuck in it and stopped a couple years ago maybe I should start again

I was at some sort of mini boss that I'm not sure I was supposed to be at yet near the Atrium and couldn't kill it even tho I tried a bunch of times

I think this happened to me too. I saw there was like, a huge shortcut there, so I bee-lined straight there and ran past everything thinking I could just utilize the shortcut and bam, miniboss. I ended up killing him but I used so many of my resources to do it that I felt like I failed.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As far as straight up shooters are concerned, Doom (2016) and Wolfenstein: The New Order are both great entries. Personally I think its awesome that we can still recommend Doom and Wolfenstein in 2020.

I think this happened to me too. I saw there was like, a huge shortcut there, so I bee-lined straight there and ran past everything thinking I could just utilize the shortcut and bam, miniboss. I ended up killing him but I used so many of my resources to do it that I felt like I failed.

yeah I looked up a walkthrough and I think I was supposed to do some other poo poo involving going out in the space area some more and finding some poo poo and I just didn't get around to it

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Can anyone recommend a JRPG or similar with a good story? Maybe something with political intrigue or mystery or just fantasy bullshit + good characters, engaging narrative and whatnot. Something that isn't a complete nightmare to play, either? I've been playing FFXII and while it's fun and also hits the mark it's also terribly dry.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Riatsala posted:

Can anyone recommend a JRPG or similar with a good story? Maybe something with political intrigue or mystery or just fantasy bullshit + good characters, engaging narrative and whatnot. Something that isn't a complete nightmare to play, either? I've been playing FFXII and while it's fun and also hits the mark it's also terribly dry.

TitS. Play TitS.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FFXII is actually pretty exciting if you accept the premise that its star wars, if the first movie was stretched out to be 80 hours long. And the main characters are the npcs you pick up 15 hours into the game.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 26, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Riatsala posted:

Ara Fell.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

FFXII is actually pretty exciting if you accept the premise that its star wars, if the first movie was stretched out to be 80 hours long. And the main characters are the npcs you pick up 15 hours into the game.

idk I actually like ff12 a fair bit because of its great music and fun combat but I think the story goes from like forgettable to bad, to me it's not a strong point of the game

Ok maybe fun is a strong word for the combat lol but I liked it

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

TitS. Play TitS.

Play what?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

TitS. Play TitS.
Sir, this is the gamer forum

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Please falcom gimme some tits!!!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Play what?

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yes, looking that up is why I have japanime TitS in my google search, I swear.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Just finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Initially I totally can't get into it, because people kept on comparing it to Hollow Knight and holy poo poo it's not even close, especially the combat part is way too light & floaty. But little by little I actually am able to actually enjoy the game. And the game's abilities actually ramp up so fast, like by endgame you're so goddamn different from when you've started.

Funnily enough, 1 of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me personally is the food preparing part. For those who don't know, food in this game is not purely healing/mana items, but also grants you a permanent bonus the 1st time you use one. So I'm happily scouring the world searching for recipes & ingredients and such, especially with such good automap. The fact that RNG drops feel fair, and you can actually get whatever you're farming for in a short time with high enough Luck skill feels good as well.

So any other games like that? Bear in mind that I can't actually get into MHW even with trying all weapons and such. I just really need a good story and such to tie it all together, not just pure grinding all the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

srulz posted:

Initially I totally can't get into it, because people kept on comparing it to Hollow Knight and holy poo poo it's not even close, especially the combat part is way too light & floaty. But little by little I actually am able to actually enjoy the game. And the game's abilities actually ramp up so fast, like by endgame you're so goddamn different from when you've started.

Funnily enough, 1 of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me personally is the food preparing part. For those who don't know, food in this game is not purely healing/mana items, but also grants you a permanent bonus the 1st time you use one. So I'm happily scouring the world searching for recipes & ingredients and such, especially with such good automap. The fact that RNG drops feel fair, and you can actually get whatever you're farming for in a short time with high enough Luck skill feels good as well.

So any other games like that? Bear in mind that I can't actually get into MHW even with trying all weapons and such. I just really need a good story and such to tie it all together, not just pure grinding all the time.

It's a top down rougelite, but Hades is great and might scratch that itch. Great combat and lots of opportunity to seek out permanent buffs.

If you specifically are looking for something with cooking, Breath of the Wild. FWIW I could never get into MHW either.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

srulz posted:

If you're in for more Metroidvania with cooking, get Aquaria. No permanent buffs, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You might like alchemy in the Witcher 3. It's a neat experience always being on the lookout for a certain ingredient when it's all you need for your next potion, or doing quests with monsters and having the idea in mind that on top of whatever reward for quest completion, you can get their essence for another potion. There's a couple times when you can just talk your way out of fighting cave trolls, but there's a number of potions that need cave troll livers, so...

I've heard that the earlier games have even more of a focus on brewing potions and the need to prepare for fights, at the price of being earlier, more clunky games.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Thanks for your recommendations veni veni veni, anilEhilated & SlothfulCobra. I've actually played and enjoyed all of them, though Subnautica the least one, simply because there's not much combat in that one, at least the short time I've played.

Anyway I guess I misspoke. What I'm looking for is not the cooking part specifically, but the part where you can actually grind in a reasonable way to get something that will permanently makes your character better.

I think most games do have this kind of mechanism, but usually the grind is a little bit over-the-top and/or highly RNG-based, or the reward is a little bit too small/unnoticeable, etc etc. Bloodstained's "1st time bonus" food mechanism actually have quite a big impact on your character's overall performance, and it's also reasonably easy to grind all the needed ingredients and such.

Plus the automap plays quite a vital role as well, since you essentially never get lost since as soon as you get a Metroidvania "power up", you'll generally know the place where you need to explore to use that power up, since that area will be slightly blank/not bordered.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

srulz posted:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Posted this in the RPG thread too but maybe a better fit here - any suggestions for a non-party based CRPG? I'm playing WL3 and enjoying it but all the positioning is a little tedious and I kinda like having just one guy that gets beefy as hell. Looking around I've seen mixed things on Underrail which might be up my alley but I'm kind of turned off by the fact that you apparently need to pretty much plan your build before you even start, and DOS:2 in Lone Wolf mode where despite all the accolades generic fantasy setting doesn't really do it for me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

Posted this in the RPG thread too but maybe a better fit here - any suggestions for a non-party based CRPG? I'm playing WL3 and enjoying it but all the positioning is a little tedious and I kinda like having just one guy that gets beefy as hell. Looking around I've seen mixed things on Underrail which might be up my alley but I'm kind of turned off by the fact that you apparently need to pretty much plan your build before you even start, and DOS:2 in Lone Wolf mode where despite all the accolades generic fantasy setting doesn't really do it for me.
I assume you've played Fallout 1 + 2

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I assume you've played Fallout 1 + 2

Probably should have mentioned that in my initial post but yeah I've played the hell out of those. I've also already played Disco Elysium which is probably another obvious choice for a non-party based CRPG.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Most traditional roguelikes feature a single adventurer, though they're also typically light on major RPG pillars like quests and story.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
e: I should read a post till the end before hitting reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SpaceGoatFarts posted: