Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I still barely understand how chapter tactics work since the marine codex last year. The goonhammer articles on the subfactions lays out the like relics and stuff and they're clear and well written, but:

If I have two detachments, let's say one Iron Hands battalion, and Guilliman in the Supreme Command thing (as the Warlord)...

I THINK I get Chapter Tactics? I won't get super doctrines. Maybe relics? Will the Iron Hands guys still get their FNP? Does Guilliman get the UM stuff?

I'm sorry this is like a year late for this conversation :(

So they have different unlocks.

An Iron Hands Battalion gives you access to chapter tactics for the IH, combat doctrines, but no super doctrine. It also gives you access to the SMN strats, and IH strats. You don't get IH relics as default because you need your warlord to be IH to give them a relic, but you can possibly use the strat to get a relic (can't remember the specific wording).

Guilliman in a supreme command detachment as the warlord means that you unlock the SM strats (which you have already) and maybe technically the ultramarines strats?

Essentially you have to take each of the rules one by one and see what the requirement is, normally it will tell you "If you have a detachment that entirely consists of models with the IRON HANDS keyword" or something similar vs "If your entire army entirely consists of models with the IRON HANDS keyword".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kitchner posted:

Yeah it's worth noting that historically Marines haven't ever been "the" best faction and I'd argue even right now they are not "the" best faction, that I feel goes to Death Guard. Death Guard are 100% an easy army to play and crush people right now. Albeit very expensive if you spam nurglings and beasts of nurgle.

I'm waiting to see what the Necron codex is like. If it can hold its own against the new SM codex I feel that the issue is going to be more the gap between 8e and 9e codices being quite large, and basically everyone will get a boost eventually. If the necron codex is very mediocre and the SM codex is very good, even if they don't become the "top" faction, they'll probably be acting as a sort of gatekeeper that means if you can't beat a good SM list you won't win a tournament, and while it's not hard to go 5-1 at a tournament with SM, you're unlikely to go 6-0.

I'm really hoping the Necron codex is good because space terminators are loving dope

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mirthless posted:

I'm really hoping the Necron codex is good because space terminators are loving dope

My gut feeling is it's going to hinge on the reanimation protocol. If it's "After a unit has completed it's attacks against your unit, if your unit is still alive, on a 6+ any casualties from this turn stand back up" is pretty sick. If it's something a bit more boring and not as powerful then they may just be not as efficient as space marines.

Then again restriction on SM re-rolls and some other stuff may tone the SM codex down a bit. If it does I expect Death Guard to be toned down a bit too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
On the latest tabletop titans game there was a viewer question where the hosts briefly touched on Tyranids being a good shooting army in 9th, I'm quite interested in the 'nids, I think their models would look great as a second army in contrast to my Blood Angels, I'd like a second army that plays in a different style and I'd also like a bit more of a horde army so 'nids are ticking a lot of boxes, where would a good place to start be?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I remember the start collecting box for nids being praised for its value and the fact everything in the box is good rules wise, though I saw on the 8th edition goon hammer article genestealers aren't in a great place atm.

That said, nothing in the box is shoot so maybe forget that or supplement it with a carnifex that you can make into the ultra shooty type, quad devourers shooting 24 shots per turn. Also the humble termagant blob, again equipped with devourers and delivered via trygon into the enemies soft bits, makes for some fun amounts of dice to roll.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

On the latest tabletop titans game there was a viewer question where the hosts briefly touched on Tyranids being a good shooting army in 9th, I'm quite interested in the 'nids, I think their models would look great as a second army in contrast to my Blood Angels, I'd like a second army that plays in a different style and I'd also like a bit more of a horde army so 'nids are ticking a lot of boxes, where would a good place to start be?

Nids are really bad at the moment but Hive Guard, Exocrines, and a Venomthrope is the start of the shooting version of that army.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

akulanization posted:

Nids are really bad at the moment but Hive Guard, Exocrines, and a Venomthrope is the start of the shooting version of that army.

Man these models all look cool as hell, I'm not overly worried about how great they are game-wise, I only really play with one friend (still learning) and we sometimes do silly lists just for a laugh, I've got my Blood Angels if I really want to tryhard. These things would tick the box for being a good contrast next to my marines.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Kitchner posted:

So they have different unlocks.

An Iron Hands Battalion gives you access to chapter tactics for the IH, combat doctrines, but no super doctrine. It also gives you access to the SMN strats, and IH strats. You don't get IH relics as default because you need your warlord to be IH to give them a relic, but you can possibly use the strat to get a relic (can't remember the specific wording).

Guilliman in a supreme command detachment as the warlord means that you unlock the SM strats (which you have already) and maybe technically the ultramarines strats?

Essentially you have to take each of the rules one by one and see what the requirement is, normally it will tell you "If you have a detachment that entirely consists of models with the IRON HANDS keyword" or something similar vs "If your entire army entirely consists of models with the IRON HANDS keyword".

Thank you! I don't really care about the super doctrine so that owns

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Shooty tyranids is pretty much exocrines and hive guard currently. Someone placed very well in a tourney going full horde tyranids though. Turns out giant fearless blobs with 6 up is pretty hard to deal with for a lot of armies.

I almost pulled the trigger on 3 x 6 units of zoantropes with a malantrope to supplement my GSC because I’m convinced GSC needs some beef on the board to start.I don’t think it’s good necessarily, but they’re pretty tough, screen pretty well, and can withstand a non-trivial amount of in vogue shooting, to top it of the massive smite is actually pretty good.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
GSC soup with IG and Tyranids is what I want for my 2nd army . So many cool models to choose from.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tyranids are apparently very good in Kill Team and you can still run some pretty big hordes - might be something to check out if you don't want to fully commit to an entire army and have some people to play it with.

I'm hoping there's still a decent pool of KT players here whenever tabletop gaming exists again, just because it perfectly suits both my very slow painting speed and my desire to make competitive lists that aren't just unfun min-maxed soup lists. Reading the fluff is what got me into 40k as a kid so I hate that mono-faction armies that use their fluffy units are almost universally terrible.

I haven't had a chance to play 9th ed at all though so maybe some of that has changed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Knowing nothing about tyranids, what exactly do they shoot with?

Projectile vomit?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
acid, bees, and so on

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yes. Also bullets made from smaller tyranids.

Sometimes a Carnifex pukes plasma.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Projectile vomit?

Also :dong:s that shoot boll weevils?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Projectile vomit?

Jizz.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Just watch starship troopers.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Projectile vomit?

The Hive Mind shoots Tyranids at the galaxy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MRLOLAST posted:

Just watch starship troopers.

I love this movie so much.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

MRLOLAST posted:

GSC soup with IG and Tyranids is what I want for my 2nd army . So many cool models to choose from.

this is what I'm doing, though so far a lightly converted squad of Scions are the only Guard I've managed to enlighten. Got plans for a liberated Stormlord carrying a bunch of cultists on the firing deck though :getin:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man these models all look cool as hell, I'm not overly worried about how great they are game-wise, I only really play with one friend (still learning) and we sometimes do silly lists just for a laugh,

My favorite way to Warhammer.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Haven't done a photodump in the new thread yet, so here's my Thousand Sons that I don't play as Thousand Sons (or even play, in recent history).

and a couple in-game shots

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 26, 2020

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Guy with wings is awesome - I'm always looking for wings I can add to dudes.

Black base rims are the best.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Black base rims are the best.

Objectively untrue, anything not on bleached bone drybrush of sand and goblin green rim is unfinished and not canon.

I finally converted a green rim skeptic today during a game in my kitchen (due to only being allowed a single visitor its the first 1v1 game played of 9th and went much smoother as a result). My little dudes just blend so well into the play area!

I'll put up some pics in a bit.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Two Beans posted:

Haven't done a photodump in the new thread yet, so here's my Thousand Sons that I don't play as Thousand Sons (or even play, in recent history).
and a couple in-game shots

Two Beans! Those look really nice man.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
£90 for the Silent King lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xtothez posted:

The codex books have gone up $10, but this includes the indomitus stuff too?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

xtothez posted:

Is that one destroyer for $35? Oh man.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adding the XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit to my Tau army. :hellyeah: This is one of my absolute favorite looking WH40K models, although they are supposedly a mid-tier Tau unit, at least in 8th edition.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I said come in! posted:

Adding the XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit to my Tau army. :hellyeah: This is one of my absolute favorite looking WH40K models, although they are supposedly a mid-tier Tau unit, at least in 8th edition.

They're pretty drat good now in 9th, i'm considering getting another one. Also hell yeah nice job

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

xtothez posted:

I'm triggered by $35 dice more than anything else on the list

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 26, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah but I need Necron dice because reasons.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Having experienced the realm of novelty/bespoke RPG dice, GW's fancy dice prices don't even phase me any more.

Totally gonna go ham on those 'cron/Raven Guard dice tho.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Objectively untrue, anything not on bleached bone drybrush of sand and goblin green rim is unfinished and not canon.

I finally converted a green rim skeptic today during a game in my kitchen (due to only being allowed a single visitor its the first 1v1 game played of 9th and went much smoother as a result). My little dudes just blend so well into the play area!

I like painted base rims on display pieces but anything I actually plan to play with I just leave bare because there's no varnish in the world strong enough to protect it from regular handling.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I hope that I won't end up paying $50 :canada: for my iron hams dice

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
GWs prices are become insane for real. No wonder everyone plays marines, they're "affordable" thanks to starter boxes and you can buy them on eBay.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
GW's price increases seem to be pretty on part with the cost increase in food.

I say this as a poor who is probably effected by this than most in the hobby, but the cost of a combo meal and the cost of a GW tank seem to have a pretty direct correlation, both have almost but not quote doubled in the last 15 years. It mostly just seems to be an effect of inflation.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

To be fair he is comparable both in terms of size and rules to greater daemons and the daemon primarchs.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

JBP posted:

GWs prices are become insane for real. No wonder everyone plays marines, they're "affordable" thanks to starter boxes and you can buy them on eBay.

Kitchner posted:

To be fair he is comparable both in terms of size and rules to greater daemons and the daemon primarchs.

I understand the economics involved and all, but it's still hilarious that this:

is the same price as this:

(the latter of which I caved and ordered today, to finally be able to put together a full table myself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

It was really nice to have a game that went relatively smoothly. Usually we do 2v2 games because there are 4 of us that regularly play but only space for one board, but a 1v1 game is so much simpler and faster. Next time we might well get to play the fabled turn 4. As it is the game ended after turn 3, 6-4 to my nids vs my friends Death Guard. Plenty of stopping to check stuff but we know each time there will be less of that.

The only thing I think I need to sit and watch a video on is how different terrain works in different situations. I'm not clear for instance if there is a termagant at the bottom of that 1.5" - 2" deep trench, he cant physically really be seen by a Death Guard standing above him a short distance away (maybe a small part of his back/head). However as the feature is not 3" tall can he still be targetted? Is there a hit penalty or bonus to armour save? We found it a bit confusing.

Also look how well green bases blend with a board! Even if it's not all green grass. I convinced my friend to paint his rims green and will work on the others. Goblin green rims are the light and the truth.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I like painted base rims on display pieces but anything I actually plan to play with I just leave bare because there's no varnish in the world strong enough to protect it from regular handling.

Honestly I have never seen much chipping on my bases , especially since I started spray varnishing them. Maybe since starting using an airbrush for it I noticed paint can rub off easier if it was applied very thin, but this is true for any part of the model before varnishing. To be honest I think most people pick up models not by the rim anyway, and its the easiest part to fix, so it doesn't bother me.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 27, 2020