Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any cool lifestyle focus trees-branches which are hidden gems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

With your Steward.

Oh, derp

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I'm not sure it's hidden but the (Pa/Ma)triarch tree in Diplomacy is really gross in ways you might not expect. "Befriend" is a really easy and extremely powerful scheme to begin with and the stress reduction, bonus skill points per friend, and bonus skill point per living children all add up pretty quickly to your leader becoming some kind of anime child hero who can best every conceivable challenge thanks to the power of friendship!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm not sure it's hidden but the (Pa/Ma)triarch tree in Diplomacy is really gross in ways you might not expect. "Befriend" is a really easy and extremely powerful scheme to begin with and the stress reduction, bonus skill points per friend, and bonus skill point per living children all add up pretty quickly to your leader becoming some kind of anime child hero who can best every conceivable challenge thanks to the power of friendship!!

The Diplomacy tree is nuts. Do enough befriending and you can get your diplomacy into the 40s or 50s. Foreign leaders will still like you after you beat them in wars!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sold. I gotta try that out lol.

Is there a way to paint your religion across the map? I wanna see if I can have the whole old world become nudist sex-crazed festival-havers.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

The more I play the 867 scenario the more I'm convinced the rules for the tribal era are completely broken. Even if you manage to play a line of geniuses from start to finish, it is literally impossible to start as a tribe, feudalize, and reach parity with the 1066 starting position before 1100.

Meanwhile the border gore is absolutely out of control. Here we see West Francia having figured out the One Weird Trick of giving all it's kingdom titles their own succession laws so they never get partitioned, meanwhile I don't even want to know what happened to England.

It definitely takes a while to feudalize but it doesn't matter much because tribals are overpowered as heck the way they always are in Crusader Kings

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Goddamn that Brian's daughter (my granddaughter) hosed my own son! Which I just before betrothed elsewhere. I revoked her Earldom of Dublin and tried to imprison her. Welp she refused and off to war... she will be easy to conquer and jail.

E: Now she's jailed and I revoked her titles. Seems she doesn't need them in jail. Don't gently caress my own goddamn son when you are married and my son is betrothed!

E2: and of course I wasted 250 gold since she was Duchess of Meath... and now there's no more Duchy of Meath.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 26, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Has anyone ever continued as a character and found they had already romanced their spouse? I never have and that kinda pisses me off.

PSA: Romance your spouses. It's usually easy, zero risk, and you earn tons of prestige doing it.

minema
May 31, 2011
Any recommendations for a good start of somewhere I can just build my realm and spread my dynasty across the world? Don't really want to do much invading or anything, more focus on the bloodline side of things and get my family as important people everywhere

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

minema posted:

Any recommendations for a good start of somewhere I can just build my realm and spread my dynasty across the world? Don't really want to do much invading or anything, more focus on the bloodline side of things and get my family as important people everywhere

It's way overplayed and oversuggested but Ireland fits the bill too well. Only 7 counties needed for a Kingdom and then 5 or 6 more to own the entire island. You can convert to Catholicism and Crusade, you can marry your kids off to other rulers and grow your dynasty outside your borders, and there's really not too much in the way of you doing all that. You can start with a weaker character than Murchad and ramp the difficulty up. I once as Earl of Leinster had to swear fealty to Wales, England and Scotland to be able to come out on top of Ireland.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you really want to spread your dynasty around the whole world and not just Europe, being on the far west edge of the map will limit your actions due to diplomatic range though.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Ihmemies posted:

Playing the tutorial. My idiot son Brian went to a dueling spree because he wanted to be a blademaster. He went dueling while wounded. Well then some dude beat him and he went to severely wounded, then dead. RIP. At least he had two very young children and I have one child too so things could be worse.

I love the dueling spree event. My daughter and heir triggered it in her 20s so I bought her the dueling instructor and she actually had an insanely high prowess due to our religion and Amazonian traits.

She got wounded and then killed a King in my empire and basically suffered 0 repercussions other than the Murderer trait. I figured she settled down after that.

Nope, 15 years later, she is now Obese due to being Gluttonous and feasting all the time, she is pregnant, and she’s still dueling. I just bought her another dueling instructor and then she was a very dumpy middle aged lady who so happens to be a Legendary Blademaster. She was just carving a bloody path through my vassals. Absolutely owned. I played as her when she was in her 60s and tried to lose weight, she stayed fat the rest of her life.

I finally put that save down after getting Dynasty of Many Crowns just by spinning off extra kingdoms. I also sniped Genghis Khan from halfway across Asia with a spider instantly, which surprised me. Before quitting I also used the Abduct cheese to seize Constantinople without a single death, which is absurdly busted.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Hargrimm posted:

If you really want to spread your dynasty around the whole world and not just Europe, being on the far west edge of the map will limit your actions due to diplomatic range though.

That's a good point. Your diplomatic reach isn't farther than like Estonia.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blimpkin posted:

That's a good point. Your diplomatic reach isn't farther than like Estonia.

So is it based on capitals or borders?

When my African empire had a Mediterranean frontier I was able to contact Lithuania and Sweden. But I guess the Indian Ocean isn't a viable communications route in comparison? I control the horn of Africa but India is too far away

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Cripes, I'm not into being a faith leader but both of my Learning runs have been the most successful by far. I went for the body of health tree just to try it out and at 80 years old I'm still in green health. I'm a religious icon with so much piety that I became a witch from reading a book, converted my priest, converted most of my family, started a coven (which also improves your health), created my own religion de-criminalizing witchcraft, bastardry and polygamy, I have four wives and about 20 legitimate heirs who I am using to make alliances with most of western europe. Soon it will be witches all the way down.

Some new things I learned: when you make a new religion it looks very expensive but changing tenets and doctrines isn't as bad as it seems. When you switch from one tenet to another one you get refunded the cost of the original tenet, so a 1500 piety change may only costs 500. You can pretty much do whatever you want with about 3000 piety, which I had by 50 years old by going on regular pilgrimages. and stacking piety gain.

Also, this guy was honestly a joke run. I used the character finder to find the guy with the lowest stats in the whole game who wasn't a child. He started at 2-0-0-0-2 and now has 10 diplomacy and 25 learning. I had good councilors, who seem vastly more important than my own character stats. Plus my entire court loves me because I'm "compassionate" and kept making the morally positive choices.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The learning perk that gives you bonuses from all your councilors is amazing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The learning perk that gives you bonuses from all your councilors is amazing

That whole tree in general is amazing.

minema
May 31, 2011
Yeah Ireland is nice but I've done it a few times now and as mentioned your reach is a bit more limited. I was thinking a central European country maybe but they tend to get absorbed a lot more easily. I wouldn't mind playing as a vassal though I suppose. If your religion has polygamy/concubines do children by them count as your dynasty?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

minema posted:

Yeah Ireland is nice but I've done it a few times now and as mentioned your reach is a bit more limited. I was thinking a central European country maybe but they tend to get absorbed a lot more easily. I wouldn't mind playing as a vassal though I suppose. If your religion has polygamy/concubines do children by them count as your dynasty?

If your tenet has polygamy, children from all your wives are legitimate heirs (Isolated Christianity is an easy way to pick it up if it spreads in your playthrough).

I actually find playing vassals of big kingdoms maybe more fun than starting as a king because you can sneakily overthrow a kingdom from the inside and make power grabs for huge swathes of land without war as long as you make good marriage arrangements and the right skills. Counts just take more time than Dukes to get going. All the while you're under the protection of your liege and don't even need to join him in his wars.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 26, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So uh the King of Denmark has an heir (eldest son), and that son's only living son seems to have gotten betrothed to my son's 2nd daughter. The first one is in jail...

How can my house or Ireland benefit from this arrangement? Seems that my son's daughter's husband could be the King of Denmark one day.

https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Games/ck3/1158310_screenshots_20200926235408_1.jpg

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 26, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

So uh the King of Denmark has an heir (eldest son), and that son's only living son seems to have gotten betrothed to my son's 2nd daughter. The first one is in jail...

How can my house or Ireland benefit from this arrangement? Seems that my son's daughter's husband could be the King of Denmark one day.

https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Games/ck3/1158310_screenshots_20200926235408_1.jpg

Doesn't look like its matrilineal, so the best you can get is an alliance.

Unless you start doing some incest...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Doesn't look like its matrilineal, so the best you can get is an alliance.

I really didn't look what happened to the people in my family while still learning to play the game... so some accidents like this happened. Uhh so if I got an alliance with Denmark I could maybe try to conquer Scotland or Wales? I can't do it alone at least for now because they seem to have allies and/or larger armies :smith:

quote:

Unless you start doing some incest...

Tell me more.. :huh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

space uncle posted:

I played as her when she was in her 60s and tried to lose weight, she stayed fat the rest of her life.

I can't recall if it was mentioned here, but the full details of why weight loss isn't working have been discovered. The decision procs only once every three years and when it succeeds - which it won't always - you lose 4 weight units. Every time you go to a feast, whether you're hosting it or not, you automatically gain 4 weight units. Basically, to have any chance of losing Obese you need to instantly take the decision as soon as you get the trait and stop going to any feasts ever because just one can set you back ten years.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I really didn't look what happened to the people in my family while still learning to play the game... so some accidents like this happened. Uhh so if I got an alliance with Denmark I could maybe try to conquer Scotland or Wales? I can't do it alone at least for now because they seem to have allies and/or larger armies :smith:
Yep! They may call you into their own wars, which you can accept and never show up for but you can feel confident knowing that if you wanted to press a claim somewhere nearby, they'd likely swoop in to help you out. I like to matrilineally marry daughters to 2nd and 3rd in line to random kingdoms if I can, I get an alliance and the potentiality of my dynasty taking over that kingdom.

I also like to betroth my infants to adults and then break the betrothal before they come of age, sometimes even the ruler/person who accepted the betrothal dies in battle with no heir, because my niece is still 6 years old.

I've been a real piece of poo poo as a ruler so far I'm realizing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

I can't recall if it was mentioned here, but the full details of why weight loss isn't working have been discovered. The decision procs only once every three years and when it succeeds - which it won't always - you lose 4 weight units. Every time you go to a feast, whether you're hosting it or not, you automatically gain 4 weight units. Basically, to have any chance of losing Obese you need to instantly take the decision as soon as you get the trait and stop going to any feasts ever because just one can set you back ten years.

too fuckin real paradox

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Jedit posted:

Yeah maybe I shouldn’t have picked the feast tenet for my religion, almost everybody in my empire is obese now. Councilors usually die of fatness in their 60s.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Tell me more.. :huh:

If you marry the great-grandson who will inherit Ireland to a daughter of your Granddaughter you should be able to start stabbing your dynasty on to a combined throne

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

PittTheElder posted:

The more I play the 867 scenario the more I'm convinced the rules for the tribal era are completely broken. Even if you manage to play a line of geniuses from start to finish, it is literally impossible to start as a tribe, feudalize, and reach parity with the 1066 starting position before 1100.

Meanwhile the border gore is absolutely out of control. Here we see West Francia having figured out the One Weird Trick of giving all it's kingdom titles their own succession laws so they never get partitioned, meanwhile I don't even want to know what happened to England.

I disagree with the first part. In my experience, tribal rulers get a fuckton of units, and don't make as much money but can raid. After I converted to feudal, my biggest threat was Sweden, who remained tribal while I struggled to get up to speed. It took a little while, but around 1150ish I'm super strong and just repulsed a catholic holy war for England almost singlehandedly.

The border gore is real, though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Not only top level border gore is real, but border gore within empires and kingdoms is a complete disaster. I presume it's partly because high crown authority seems completely broken, partly because vassals in big empires will keep expanding into weak neighbours on their own, and partly because vassals keep losing liberty wars and having their own internal border gore.

It's just fractal enclaves within enclaves all the way down.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I had no idea what border gore was until I just looked it up and now I'm laughing my rear end off.

Apparently this kind of thing happened a lot until the 18th century. A real example from 1400s:

And allegedly William the Conqueror in England was so worried about succession problems that he granted the thousands of manors to random followers intentionally splintering the realm into tiny pockets that couldn't coordinate against him. There were no counties or duchies at all, and he even expanded giving away property over the channel to Normandy where it started seeping into the mainland.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 27, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Chewbot posted:

I had no idea what border gore was until I just looked it up and now I'm laughing my rear end off.

Apparently this kind of thing happened a lot until the 18th century. A real example from 1400s:

I always laugh when modders are like "you have to model the accurate borders of Liege!!!! "

Also that one province that's like in three distinct pieces with exclaves surrounded entirely by two other provinces whose name i forget

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I think it's probably a combination of three things:

• Conquest CBs function at infinite distance across water. On land they are limited by distance, so I don't know why the hell that was left out. "Invade Kingdom" I wouldn't even mind keeping it unlimited, but it should come with a caveat of leaving your old lands behind if they're not adjacent.
  • Exclave Independence is broken as gently caress. Naval paths seem to be valid at any distance rather than the 2-3 sea zone it should be, and it only applies to independent rulers. If a vassal holds one county in their liege's de jure territory (and tbh I'm not even sure that's a hard requirement), none of their holdings will ever be affected by Exclave Exclusion.
  • The AI seems to assign little to no priority to consolidating it's de jure lands. Which I guess you could argue from a game perspective that maybe it shouldn't, because that isn't always the path of least resistance, but given that the de jure titles are grounded in reality it'd sure be nice. That said it's possible this is a thing already, they're simply cowed by the paper strength of their would be targets due to the issues above.

Glass of Milk posted:

I disagree with the first part. In my experience, tribal rulers get a fuckton of units, and don't make as much money but can raid. After I converted to feudal, my biggest threat was Sweden, who remained tribal while I struggled to get up to speed. It took a little while, but around 1150ish I'm super strong and just repulsed a catholic holy war for England almost singlehandedly.

I mean from a pure power perspective it isn't an issue at all. It's just kind of annoying that you can't come close to the tech progress you'd get from the 1066 start, or from your settled-start neighbors.

I consider it a rules and balance issue if the 867 start played until 1066 will never resemble the 1066 start. Maybe not in terms of polities due to butterfly effects or whatever, but innovations are culture based, and those are mostly static.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

What’s some advice for breaking up a powerful vassal? I am king of England, Wales, and soon to be Ireland, but one of my dukes has 7 duchies. 5 of them have their own inheritance rules (which is how I think they’ll all wind up going to his primary heir). Murdering won’t help, since the heir will be as powerful as he is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

What’s some advice for breaking up a powerful vassal? I am king of England, Wales, and soon to be Ireland, but one of my dukes has 7 duchies. 5 of them have their own inheritance rules (which is how I think they’ll all wind up going to his primary heir). Murdering won’t help, since the heir will be as powerful as he is.

Revoke them and redistribute them. Eat the tyranny if you have to. If you can imprison him first he won't get a chance to fight back.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 27, 2020

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Trevor Hale posted:

Can you kill the heir? Can you get a hook on the guy and imprison him while you make claims? I'd honestly try to murder the heir, and then acquire claims, at least one, to provoke him to revolt, you'd be able to revoke it all once his a traitor.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Blimpkin posted:

Can you kill the heir? Can you get a hook on the guy and imprison him while you make claims? I'd honestly try to murder the heir, and then acquire claims, at least one, to provoke him to revolt, you'd be able to revoke it all once his a traitor.

He’s been very resistant to hooks. Finding secrets gas netter nothing in him or his predecessor for 40 years

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

eXXon posted:

Not only top level border gore is real, but border gore within empires and kingdoms is a complete disaster. I presume it's partly because high crown authority seems completely broken, partly because vassals in big empires will keep expanding into weak neighbours on their own, and partly because vassals keep losing liberty wars and having their own internal border gore.

It's just fractal enclaves within enclaves all the way down.

Four generations of careful (and tyrannical) micromanagement :cabot:

That cluster of counties west of Wagadu is about to be consolidated into a duchy. The only bothersome things are Abyssinia owning territories all the way in the west (but since they control the land where my University will be built, I'm roleplaying it as a concession), Adiukru owning that one random county near the western crown port, and that one weird Igbo-Benue peninsula splitting Oyo. Otherwise I think this is fine.

As opposed to the west which are the core lands of the empire and I hold most of the kingdoms, the east is newly consolidated territory so I have devolved it to the Five Kingdoms (centered on Abyssinia)

Starting to think that Unite Africa might be a real possibility! Islam is on the decline, the world powers are me, the Byzantines, and a newly united Indian empire. I am hoping to grab Egypt before I end up with conflicts with the Byzantines over it.

Also lol that there's an event/decision where your monarch realizes "There's only a century left before the world ends" that you get around 1350

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

If you fabricate a claim on his counties you can revoke them without getting any tyranny. If you don't have a hook on him he might choose to rebel so just be ready for that. Or you could try to get a hook on his heir or imprison him, and then just wait for dad to die and all his titles to pass on. Are you fabricating hooks or just using your spymaster to find secrets in his realm?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Can you not integrate over sea provinces? I’d like to make sardinia part of a Kingdom of Sicily and Sardinia but the option isn’t available. Destroyed the Corsica and Sardinia kingdom already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
RIP Ida, my 68-year-old physician, who was having an affair with the Holy Roman Emperor (30 years her junior), allowing me to blackmail him into no taxes. Oh, also she saved me when I was sick and possibly dying, which was nice too.