Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As far as I recall the only truly painful hammer to be given randomly is the spear one that shortens your dash to be worthless, though I understand why people might hate the ones that change the attack rhythm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There are a few others I'm aware of - there's the rail special that damages you, the rapid fire bow that doesn't let you power shot (although this upgrade is so strong that it's probably good no matter what), some people think bombs are better than missiles, big chop, cursed slash taking away 60% of your hp can be bad, etc. I don't really ever like taking it except swapping into upgrades with anvil counts towards prophecies which is sweet.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

No Wave posted:

There are a few others I'm aware of - there's the rail special that damages you, the rapid fire bow that doesn't let you power shot (although this upgrade is so strong that it's probably good no matter what), some people think bombs are better than missiles, big chop, cursed slash taking away 60% of your hp can be bad, etc. I don't really ever like taking it except swapping into upgrades with anvil counts towards prophecies which is sweet.

I got rapid fire bow + chain lightning on my best run so far. I was cackling like a madman.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

No Wave posted:

That rail special upgrade seems pretty good so far though, the increase in damage radius +300% damage means just about everything in Elysian and Styx are much less bothersome due to melting in three-four casts max, two if I can slap Aphrodite special boon on it. Add some Artemis or Dionysus to attack and even Theseus + Astorios can be burst down in two minutes or less if I can get them to pack up together. As for you being damaged if you池e in the zone, Dash exists.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Harold Fjord posted:

As far as I recall the only truly painful hammer to be given randomly is the spear one that shortens your dash to be worthless, though I understand why people might hate the ones that change the attack rhythm

I had that on my last spear run and I was cool with it. Triple attack on dash is very powerful. Combo it with something that stacks like chill and you're golden.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Triple dash attack with the spear is bananas

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The giant rail special is bonkers, it's a massive damage increase that hits for like 1k a pop by endgame when built into and if you hit yourself you only take 8 damage or so iirc

The spear spread is a pretty bad trap hammer, it almost halves the range and I don't think each spear is a seperate attack either, (or they're just too far apart to hit one target)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does anyone buy stuff from the wells of Charon? I basically never do and I知 worried I知 playing the game wrong.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone buy stuff from the wells of Charon? I basically never do and I’m worried I’m playing the game wrong.

You can get really cheap damage boosts and stuff that are great. ~30g to make Elysium rooms easier is a no brainer for me, but sometimes the stuff isn't great. The increased power on your next boon is also good if you've got cash.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just got my first clear! :toot:

Eurydice gave me a crazy rarity upgrade to Dionysus' full heal at fountains that gave me a stacking 6% bonus damage for every fountain I used.

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone buy stuff from the wells of Charon? I basically never do and I知 worried I知 playing the game wrong.

Generally only health, really.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The giant rail special is bonkers, it's a massive damage increase that hits for like 1k a pop by endgame when built into and if you hit yourself you only take 8 damage or so iirc

The spear spread is a pretty bad trap hammer, it almost halves the range and I don't think each spear is a seperate attack either, (or they're just too far apart to hit one target)
I don't think it effects the range. I enjoy that one, especially when I got it with +40% range hammer because my claw filled the whole screen.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I thought I was going insane but it turns out the game plays a very characteristic "ding!" sound when a fishing point spawns in a room.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Badger of Basra posted:

Pickups I'll take on a regular basis: Centaur Soul, Gaea's Treasure, Fateful Twist, Light of Ixion, Night Spindle, Price of Midas, Skeletal Lure, Trove Tracker, Yarn of Ariadne.

Healing items are nice if you're low on health. The other items for encounters are okay, but benefit more from using Charon's keepsake, but I'd rather use other keepsakes.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

all the time. pretty much always snag the darkness/gemstone ones on a new save, ariadne's thread is a no brainer, the death defiance refill is nice if you need it. there's one that increases trap damage done to enemies that is great for elysium and the temple as well

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Any recommendations on weapon upgrades to look into first? I plan to get them all but the price gets expensive quick with titan blood showing down so far so I don't want to buy something useless and be stuck farming more. I just have the heart seeking bow and chaos shield at first level and I feel like they don't pay off until I start maxing.

Edit: do you get new bounty rewards for using different weapon aspects, out is it only for a completely different weapon?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 27, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Death Defiance recharge can be nice too if you need it and have the cash, it's definitely saved my hide a few times.

PageMaster posted:

Any recommendations on weapon upgrades to look into first? I plan to get them all but the price gets expensive quick with titan blood showing down so far so I don't want to buy something useless and be stuck farming more. I just have the heart seeking bow and chaos shield at first level and I feel like they don't pay off until I start maxing.

Honestly it's mostly just "go with what you enjoy and feel most comfortable with". The Zag aspects are all pretty cheap and offer good stat boosts without altering the weapon. My first clear was with the spear with a maxed out Zag aspect and a special build.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

The anti-armor items are great utility for value, especially because the only other way to go anti-armor is through a hammer. Also don't sleep on the ones that just add damage if they sync well with your build.

I don't have any math to back it up but I think unless you're saving for a diamond/blood in styx the wells are a very effecient way of spending gold, just...temporary

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The Death Defiance recharge can be nice too if you need it and have the cash, it's definitely saved my hide a few times.

People not liking Artemis forget that she has two Boons for Death Defiance that immediately return a charge when taken. That's huge if you're running on empty late game.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I picked this up a couple of days ago after seeing it pop up in the switch store, and it's exactly as good as I expected a Super Giant joint to be. Getting over milestones felt pretty fast at first, although I can tell actually beating Hades is just the beginning. Oh dang, this Hydra sucks--> well I've got this Hydra down but the happy couple feels like a wall-->Hades, gently caress--> second phase?! gently caress!!

What really makes it work for me are all the little interpersonal stories that advance as you go too. I already get the feeling that Artemis has Something Important she wants to tell me in private, but the last couple of times she's tried Aphrodite showed up and teased her into dropping it. How Olympian.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

90% of my purchases from wells are health when I'm low and every Light of Ixion I see in act 1, act 2, and start of act 3. I'll pick up things like darkness/gems/fishing points when I'm way ahead and centaur hearts (which seem really rare). Yarns are a sometimes buy depending on how much gold I have and what's ahead. If you're using Companion Shady spindles are a great value too and should probably always be bought.

The special stubborn defiance item is I think extremely strong but I don't use stubborn defiance.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 27, 2020

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't like to hoard money except in certain circumstances so I usually buy at least one thing when I stop by a well. You can get ridiculous value for them by taking the Charon keepsake too.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I always hoard money to buy a Diamond/Blood in Styx. Extra poms and boons and hearts are great, but unless you can be sure you're timing the temporary Well boosts to use against a boss, they're usually a waste.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fedule posted:

I thought I was going insane but it turns out the game plays a very characteristic "ding!" sound when a fishing point spawns in a room.

It uses sound a lot to hint about things that might appear off screen when you finish a room. There's a echoing chime noise to let you know a chaos portal has unlocked. There's a low hum when there's a trove in the room. Sort of a firey noise when a erebus portal opens on higher heat levels. And a sort of clanking unlocking noise when a well of charon opens. It's a clever design, because as soon as you figure out what sound goes with what thing, you start to subconsciously pay attention whenever you hear them without having to think about it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Waffle! posted:

People not liking Artemis forget that she has two Boons for Death Defiance that immediately return a charge when taken. That's huge if you're running on empty late game.

That's because Athena has them :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Man, I was so close to finally escaping this time, but I just couldn't clutch out that last 1/4 HP of Hades's second health bar. Oh well, I honestly didn't expect to get past Elysium with the Bow anyway, so it was pretty cool to get so close.

E: Though for what it's worth, I was surprised by how much the bow basically hard countered Theseus.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 27, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How's the Guan Yu aspect? I just unlocked the Rama aspect which is amazing. Just need to save up the blood again!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's a bit unwieldy without the faster spin attacks hammer but it can be neat. Until you explode all your defiance stacks in Styx on 400% damage traps like a moron. :shepface:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i had 60% dodge just now thanks to the keepsake, fists and a 20% boon and hades only managed to hit me once while i just stood there hitting him, good stuff

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How do you make the bow worthwhile. In my opinion it sucks and I won't put blood into it because the other weapons are better and more fun (except the shield it's also not fun). I think it's the charge up attacks. Not my style.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

JBP posted:

How do you make the bow worthwhile. In my opinion it sucks and I won't put blood into it because the other weapons are better and more fun (except the shield it's also not fun). I think it's the charge up attacks. Not my style.
Try with the rapid fire hammer? The bow is really good. All of its aspects are great imo.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

JBP posted:

Do powershots, receive damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

JBP posted:

Get Chiron to level 4 and use it exclusively. Or unlock the hidden aspect and never attack.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

JBP posted:

Use the special up close like a shotgun, with Chiron the up close part is optional. Or unlock Hera lvl1 and blow things up with triple cast loaded shots.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just got to get the dash power shot rhythm. Using a combination of that and shotgun special. Both are strong but your build will probably drift towards one or the other. Special favors zues, dio, Dem, who all are pretty bad on the attack if you don't auto fire. Crit powershots are amazing.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 27, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Flipswitch posted:

Try with the rapid fire hammer? The bow is really good. All of its aspects are great imo.

There's also a hammer which makes shots rebound to nearby enemies. If you get both of those they're incredible at spreading debuffs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PageMaster posted:

Edit: do you get new bounty rewards for using different weapon aspects, out is it only for a completely different weapon?

Some aspects are reallly good with just one level, others don't shine until you max them out.
Here's my picks for early upgrades:
For just 1-2 blood:
  • Sword: Aspect of Poseidon level 1 lets you do some fun cast builds -- hitting enemies with your special dislodges all bloodstones, which means you can rely on cast damage even against bosses or tanky elites without having to kill them or wait to get your cast back.
  • Aspect of Nemesis for the sword is supposed to be nice too. You get 15% crit chance for the first titan blood which is pretty solid, if you don't like casts.
  • Bow: Aspect of Hera level 1 is another option for doing cast-based builds. It lets you load your cast into your arrow to go off when you shoot someone. Great for alpha-strike oneshots. Try to get Dionysus's festive fog if you can, it does tons of damage and doesn't stick inside enemies.
Good if you can afford ~5 blood:
  • Fists Aspect of Zagreus level 5 gives +15% dodge, which is already basically 15% more max hp, but it stacks with the dodge chance from Hermes' trinket and the Ruthless Reflex dash to give you crazy durability. If you're lucky and get the right Hermes boon you might even reach 100% dodge chance. This was what I got my first win with, it's pretty good.
  • Shield: Aspect of Zagreus level 5 adds a ton of damage to your base attack -- going from 25 to 40 per hit. If you like the shield, this is just more of the same but better.
The Rail and Spear don't have any super outstanding low-cost upgrades. Aspect of Hestia for the rail is great when you can afford 16 blood -- it turns it into a sniper rifle instead of a full-auto machine gun, and it does tons of damage.
I haven't found anything amazing for Spear yet. Maybe Aspect of Hades is good, I haven't tried it.

And no, different aspects don't get different bounties.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The bow owns unbelievably, it's a shotgun and rapidfire sniper rifle rolled into one and it only gets better with hammers. The Chiron aspect is fun as hell (when upgraded a little) and certain hammers on that thing absolutely feel like cheating sometimes, but just crank the special damage as high as you can and put your favourite status on it (I used chill, but hangover would be very handy for bosses and pushback would probably be hilarious) and watch those numbers soar. On my last run with it I got the +4 arrows on special (for 10 arrows total) plus freeze plus the thing that turns ten stacks of freeze into an explosion. This is actually the opposite of a synergy because it means you can't keep freeze on anyone and 100 damage isn't really that much at this point but it didn't matter, it was just doing so much damage.

On the other hand, I picked Guan Yu for the last run and, like, man, never again. I don't understand it at all. The damage seems great but turned out not to be that useful, although the special was handy I guess? It's just... what's with the health thing? Why is this admittedly slightly more powerful moveset balanced in this way, as opposed to literally any other way? It was such a weird, stressful run. But on the other other hand I won that run, somehow, so, ?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Peewi posted:

Do powershots, receive damage.

My main problem is that against bosses it feels extremely cumbersome to use versus virtually any other weapon that lets you smoothly tie together dash, dash attack and attack damage. Charge time is also time you're not using dash or cast, so the damage might appear fine, but it's nowhere near a string of attacks, dashes and specials applying three debuffs constantly.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Rail and Spear don't have any super outstanding low-cost upgrades. Aspect of Hestia for the rail is great when you can afford 16 blood -- it turns it into a sniper rifle instead of a full-auto machine gun, and it does tons of damage.
I haven't found anything amazing for Spear yet. Maybe Aspect of Hades is good, I haven't tried it.

And no, different aspects don't get different bounties.

Zagreus Aspect is good on the spear. It is a great set of stats for the special and with good boons and hammers that spear throw will absolutely do tons of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've been using Zag on spear recently as well and yeah it's good, I'm enjoying it a lot more than Hades and Guan Yu. I still need to play around with Achilles because I think you can do some fun stuff with casts and artemis calls using it.