Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Good deal on a couple NY strips today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Got some friends going through lovely times and the only way we know how to help right now is cook

Two trays of taco bowls with ground turkey and rice

5 quarts of chicken soup

2 trays of lasagna, 2 trays cottage pie, and an apple crisp

All together

Also made a crockpot full of chicken stock, and dinner was tomato saucy lima beans with artichokes and feta

Busy day!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
drat that’s a feast

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

:sax::guitar:
Do you like green enchiladas
And a side of some grains?
:guitar::sax:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Good deal on a couple NY strips today!

Gawd Dang.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I also got a nice deal on a NY strip at the butcher today

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Tacos Al pastor

First tile doing 'proper' Mexican stuff.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Really unsure if I can post this here, but here goes. This is not my meal, and it's not home cooked, it's from my friends anniversary dinner last week.

this is indian food but it's so fancy it was kind of hard to tell at first.

The mushrooms are freeze dried yogurt, the rest is pistachio and yogurt

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
We harvested our first bit of bok choy from the garden!

Sauteed it with garlic, onions,soy, and sesame oil and served as a side with that gochujang chicken recipe from earlier

It was really good

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sunday night is roast lamb night

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We did mojo pork here. For the slow roast part I smoked it over pimento.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

toplitzin posted:

We did mojo pork here. For the slow roast part I smoked it over pimento.

:stwoon:

That is beautiful.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

Tacos Al pastor

First tile doing 'proper' Mexican stuff.

I'm not trying to shame here. I've only ever seen Al Pastor in corn tortillas from any food truck or establishment. I usually use street taco size tortillas for mine too, single or doubled up. Taco build for us is Al pastor, cojita, red onion, salsa verde, cilantro, lime juice. Optional are sub red for white onion, and add cabbage, pineapple chunks to complement the meat. I'm curios about how. you cooked your meat/recipe. This is something the wife and I have been making for a while now.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

sterster posted:

I'm not trying to shame here. I've only ever seen Al Pastor in corn tortillas from any food truck or establishment. I usually use street taco size tortillas for mine too, single or doubled up. Taco build for us is Al pastor, cojita, red onion, salsa verde, cilantro, lime juice. Optional are sub red for white onion, and add cabbage, pineapple chunks to complement the meat. I'm curios about how. you cooked your meat/recipe. This is something the wife and I have been making for a while now.

Al pastor with flour tortillas is very popular in northern Mexico as well, just not with tortillas that look like this, they are usually way thinner, more cooked, and have lard and/or butter in them making them slightly transparent with brown spots.

A 'gringa' is a flour tortilla with melted cheese and al pastor, great stuff, I recommend gouda but oaxaca or asadero is commonly used.

If you are ever in NYC, give the flour quesadillas with adobada a try at los tacos no. 1, that's basically what I'm describing above.

not from tacos no 1. but same thing... flour, cheese, pastor... guy who ordered this is rich, cuz they charge extra for avocado.

Cotija with al pastor on the other hand... :blastu:

ogarza fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 28, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Interesting. I'm in Az for about a decade now. Never seen them with flour tortillas. Now I'm interested in trying this.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Baked tofu last night for dinner. It's got sesame oil, fresh garlic, soy sauce, and pepper, and cornstarch. Super good!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

Baked tofu last night for dinner. It's got sesame oil, fresh garlic, soy sauce, and pepper, and cornstarch. Super good!

Looks great and one of my absolutely favorite ways to prepare tofu.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Also my preferred method of preparing tofu. The oven gives it a great texture that hold up perfectly to being tossed around in stir fries.

I usually grill it in the summer, but now that it’s cooler out I’m heading back to the oven. Making some veggie pad Thai this week and adding some baked tofu to it is my plan.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

sterster posted:

Use the serious eats recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/05/tacos-al-pastor-recipe.html

I changed to red salsa since we can't get fresh tomatillos here and the tortillas were unfortunately bought. I've found a place I can order masa from but haven't done it yet.

I'm in rural Sweden, by the way so it ain't so easy to get everything just right. In any case, it was very good! Even if undeniably not the real thing..

NLJP fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 28, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Pad Thai with Baked Tofu!

Made the rookie mistake of buying parsley thinking it was cilantro... so no cilantro with this pad Thai. Still was great!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Made the rookie mistake of buying parsley thinking it was cilantro... so no cilantro with this pad Thai. Still was great!

Oh drat that looks awesome.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

I'm in rural Sweden, by the way so it ain't so easy to get everything

drat, yeah being some place like that it's going to be harder to get more 'authentic' stuff. I live in the US near Mexico boarder so stuff is pretty much on ever grocery shelf.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

drat that look awesome. How hard is Pad Thai to make? I've been looking for something to change up the dinner menu. Suggestions or recipe to follow?

sterster fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 29, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

acorn squash
cranberry orange chevre
wild rice
prosciutto
toasted pecans
dried fungus
herbs n spices

roast the acorn squash
slit squash before roasting and nestle prosciutto slices into the cuts
cook wild rice
blend rice with chevre, mushrooms, nuts
stuff squash
broil
serve

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

sterster posted:

drat that look awesome. How hard is Pad Thai to make? I've been looking for something to change up the dinner menu. Suggestions or recipe to follow?

I make it pretty regularly so I’ve got it down to muscle memory. The mise en place is what takes a good amount of time. And I make it harder on myself by making it with baked tofu instead of just throwing some chicken or shrimp in the wok with everything else.

1. Crush peanuts
2. Prep sauce
3. Julienne carrots
4. Slice scallions
5. Soak rice noodles
6. Prep protein
7. Preheat wok
8. Scramble eggs (set aside)
9. Add carrots and bean sprouts to wok
10. Add protein to wok
11. Add rice noodles to wok
12. Add sauce to wok
13. Add scallions to wok
14. Add scrambled eggs to wok
15. Chop cilantro and lime wedges
16. Plate

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
What do you do for the sauce?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

User Error posted:

What do you do for the sauce?

2 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1.5 tablespoon minced garlic
A few good shakes of chili powder.

I forget where I found the recipe for this sauce, but I like it. I think it has a bit of a different flavor than your standard takeout Pad Thai. In my experience those tend to be more peanut-y and sweet. This one brings out the fish sauce a little more. Lately I’ve been wanting to add more fish sauce but my wife keeps convincing me to keep this as is.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
New recipe for broiled salmon for lunch today. Used a soy sauce/lime/honey marinade that was really good. With cumin potatoes and some spinach banchan.

Panang curry with tofu for dinner. I can't believe it took me years to add peanut butter to this recipe.

Bonus ground pork with green beans I made earlier this week. I also made some sweet and sour chicken that did not photograph well at all.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Successfully replicated my mother’s gravy recipe!

This has been my all time favorite meal for my entire life and it means a lot to me that I was able to make it. Served it up with some penne, ricotta, and nice warm bread.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

NYT Pasta e Ceci recipe. Wish I hadn't forgotten to grab a little pecorino to grate over the top :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I ducasse'd a strip, creamed some swiss chard, and was disappointed by purple potatoes.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Breakfast

I work in the industry, made a late night drunk/high breakfast. Basically protein and carbs doused in fat. Some potatoes I found in the fridge, canned pinto beans, a cut up hot dogg, an egg, and some spices and etc. Just wish I had an avocado with a piece of wheat toast or a tortilla

Trollipop fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 5, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Made a fancy qwee chee for dinner.

Fennel, collards, prosciutto, fig honey chevre.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I tend to make either a coleslaw or Asian slaw.

If I’ve got a little more time I sauté it with garlic, onions, and chopped apples and add some apple cider vinegar at the end.
Dragging this up from the depths of time to say I did this as a side with my family last night and it was real nice.
So thanks.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Roasted squash and roasted garlic puree, purple potato, tenderstem broccoli, griddled bratwurst and toasted sunflower seeds.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Successfully replicated my mother’s gravy recipe!

This has been my all time favorite meal for my entire life and it means a lot to me that I was able to make it. Served it up with some penne, ricotta, and nice warm bread.

This looks great. Nonna would be proud.

Komputernauta
May 16, 2006

Chicken and pears in cream sauce

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Finally made a passable Tamagoyaki that wasn't burnt, misshapen, or de-laminating and on a grilled cheese pan of all things. I find the concept of a pan dedicated for grilled cheese pretty stupid but it works pretty well for Tamagoyaki.

For dinner, I paired it with stir-fried nappa with sliced puffed tofu and miso soup.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Edward IV posted:

Finally made a passable Tamagoyaki that wasn't burnt, misshapen, or de-laminating and on a grilled cheese pan of all things. I find the concept of a pan dedicated for grilled cheese pretty stupid but it works pretty well for Tamagoyaki.

For dinner, I paired it with stir-fried nappa with sliced puffed tofu and miso soup.

To be fair, that’s basically what a tamagoyaki pan is, so you can say it’s a grilled cheese and tamagoyaki pan. Looks good!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Edward IV posted:

I'm missing miso soup now, the tamagoyaki looks wonderful, did you add sugar or naw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Raikiri posted:

Roasted squash and roasted garlic puree, purple potato, tenderstem broccoli, griddled bratwurst and toasted sunflower seeds.

Looks great.

Bratwurst looks great! But honestly I’m most jealous of the broccoli. Broccoli really bothers my wife’s stomach, so we haven’t bought it in years :smith: