Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Picked the last harvest from my pepper plants today. I think I need to make some hot sauce...

Left to right: Ghost, Moruga Scorpion, Carolina Reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s a nice haul. You should be able to make a great sauce with all those. Looks very awesome. What kind of sauce are you planning?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

xergm posted:

Picked the last harvest from my pepper plants today. I think I need to make some hot sauce...

Left to right: Ghost, Moruga Scorpion, Carolina Reaper

beautiful!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
No plans yet. Certainly open to input if anyone has any they have tried with some super-hots.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ok so this is going to sound ridiculous but like a year and a half ago i bought some secret aardvark hot sauce and it fell in to a weird spot in the back of my fridge and i forgot it existed, and it's been open back there this whole time (cap on). anyway do you think it's still good?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheAardvark posted:

ok so this is going to sound ridiculous but like a year and a half ago i bought some secret aardvark hot sauce and it fell in to a weird spot in the back of my fridge and i forgot it existed, and it's been open back there this whole time (cap on). anyway do you think it's still good?

What’s the best before date on it? Some sauces keep for an insanely long time, though I’m not sure about Secret Aardvark.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TheAardvark posted:

From Secret Aardvark themselves:

quote:

Thanks for asking! Since Secret Aardvark is made with fruits and vegetables, including tomatoes and carrots, we recommend refrigerating after opening and consuming within three months. That’s the time period during which you’ll get the full flavor we aim for, and you won’t have to worry about mold (unless you’re dipping food directly into it, which we seriously don’t recommend).

Personally, I'd inspect it per that link (smell it and look at it). Mold will be obvious, but it's equally likely that the color will have simply darkened and the flavors (especially the heat) will have dissipated. Or if it's easy to get, just replace the bottle. It is your namesake after all :colbert:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Found a use for AKA Miso - ramen.

Good slow heat and the saltiness just kinda blends into the sodium bomb that is quick ramen. I'll have to try it in some actual legit pho or soba at some point.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Made hot sauce with ghost, habanero, thai, cayenne, serrano, rehydrated arbol, garlic, cane vinegar, apple cider vinegar, lime suice, fish sauce, miso, dashi powder. All the peppers were ripened to red. It's borderline too spicey but good, ghost chiles don't gently caress around. May bottle with a bit of Crystal to tame it. I feel like the heat takes a step down after a while though with home made, maybe a month in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you’re into superhots, sign up for the Hot Ones box this month, it’s gonna have a last dab with a new kind of pepper from Ed Curry.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I had heard that Pepper X was having FDA issues but this Apollo thing is out of the blue. Got my monthly email yesterday I think, curious to see how it goes.

The Last Dab sauces we've bought are all a little underwhelming to be honest. Stuff like Reaper Squeezin's and even the Hot Ones Eye Of The Scorpion sauces are a lot hotter. Whatever, it's a fun monthly box and Heatonist seems like some pretty solid dudes to support. Bring on the heat!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

I had heard that Pepper X was having FDA issues but this Apollo thing is out of the blue. Got my monthly email yesterday I think, curious to see how it goes.

I had not heard this. I would believe that he's having issues with registering it like they do apples to be a specific plant where he can make money off the work he did crossing it, but I don't know why the FDA would care past labeling the food stuff properly. It makes me wonder if they've had issues registering the plant variation with the USDA, but honestly, it's been years since it was 'released' and I wouldn't bet on seeing the seeds in the wild for people to grow and make sauces from. I wonder if he's had better luck registering Apollo seeing as it has a trade name and we'll actually see those seeds being released.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'm not FDA fluent but it was something to the effect that it was only approved as a food additive.

Not my branch of government work but definitely sounds like something they'd come up with.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Moved our grow op inside cuz it got cold out!

Them dried ones gonna go into a rub of some kind maybe? I dunno, I'm new at this.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Remember your mask if you use a blender.

I wore a neck gaiter last time and basically pepper sprayed my lungs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Indoor grow room you say? I'd smash up those dried pods and have hot pepper flakes for pizza, burgers, and everything else. Fully grinding is something to use a mask and eye protection. Dust burns. How are you keeping the soil warm enough?

X-post from the gardening thread. I have flowers on my Caribbean Reds now, and they're forming on both the Moruga Caramel and Moruga Red Trinidad Scorpions. And on the Bhut Jolokia strain too. They're all on the shelf part of the setup. Carolina Reaper are much bigger than the other superhots and are hiding on the table in front of the Chiltepins. I'm hoping for a hot winter.

Jhet posted:

I've posted in the past about starting an indoor chile pepper garden in a basement, and it's working a little too well. I started too many seeds and am going to run out of space entirely by December. These are only a week apart.

I'll definitely need to be culling the crop, but I've learned some good things about size needs and growth patterns of a couple new varieties to me, and one of them (二荆条 erjingtiao) has 4 plants putting out a bunch of fruit that I'll be eating before I cut them down for the year (first picture). They grew fast and big enough where I'll be able to grow them in the garden and hopefully keep them running all summer next year. I'll probably get a row cover for the early season to get them to grow big early, and then have them for the year. I also have Korean Dark Green and Cayenne putting out fruit already. They'll probably be in the first round of cutting back to 'winter' them on the other side of the room.

Also pictured: Chi-chien (a random variety that I picked up from semillas.de, its maybe a type of heaven facing, unsure though) and Aji Charapita flowers

The room itself has a forced air vent from the furnace in it, and is staying above 70F and from 60-70% humidity so far without any additional help. I may add a heating mat or two to keep the temp more constant in the bottom of the plants when we get further into winter, but I don't expect it to be all that cold in that room. I may add some extra reflective insulation above the lights, but maybe not. Definitely not the most productive use of space, but I really like growing hot peppers, so that's what I'm going to keep doing.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Heating mats with thermostats are worth the investment if you're going to keep growing peppers inside (or starting seeds in the winter).

I use the Vivosun stuff you can get on Amazon - thermostat and a mat the size of your normal greenhouse slip.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

Remember your mask if you use a blender.

I wore a neck gaiter last time and basically pepper sprayed my lungs.
Made that mistake ONLY ONCE and sneezed for around 2 straight minutes. Not fun. It's mortar and pestle from here on out.

Jhet posted:

Indoor grow room you say? I'd smash up those dried pods and have hot pepper flakes for pizza, burgers, and everything else. Fully grinding is something to use a mask and eye protection. Dust burns. How are you keeping the soil warm enough?

X-post from the gardening thread. I have flowers on my Caribbean Reds now, and they're forming on both the Moruga Caramel and Moruga Red Trinidad Scorpions. And on the Bhut Jolokia strain too. They're all on the shelf part of the setup. Carolina Reaper are much bigger than the other superhots and are hiding on the table in front of the Chiltepins. I'm hoping for a hot winter.
Those look awesome! No idea how we're gonna do the soil thing, but it's parked right next to the furnace in the basement. Is there any methodology that you'd recommend for soil warmin?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

scuz posted:

Made that mistake ONLY ONCE and sneezed for around 2 straight minutes. Not fun. It's mortar and pestle from here on out.

Those look awesome! No idea how we're gonna do the soil thing, but it's parked right next to the furnace in the basement. Is there any methodology that you'd recommend for soil warmin?

I have the heating mats mischief mentioned, but I was trying to see if you had other plans or ideas floating around. I have my little room with a vent from the furnace, but I stuck heating mats underneath the boot mats I put the plants on. Definitely put something under the bottom though, it'll make a mess of your floor if you don't have it protected with a base. Boot mats are pretty cheap I've found and have the added bonus of dispersing the heat from the seed starting mats pretty well.

I find myself wandering into my little room and just staring at the plants during the day a little too often. I have to keep reminding myself that staring at them won't make the peppers set and grow any faster, but it's very relaxing!

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The latest locally grown habaneros I aquired are decidedly... Unspicy. What do

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Missing Name posted:

The latest locally grown habaneros I aquired are decidedly... Unspicy. What do

You’re sure they’re not that new habanada variety where it’s a fake one without heat? It just comes with the habanero flavor. If not that, it does happen occasionally where they have very low heat which is always a bummer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:psyduck:

I hate the habanero taste and it pleases me greatly that there are more options in comparably hot peppers these days.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Platystemon posted:

I hate the habanero taste

:psyboom: :psyboom: :psyboom:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

seriously! what madness is this?!?!?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

:psyduck:

I hate the habanero taste

What the gently caress? Good habeneros have an awesome fruity, nearly citrusy taste to them.

Sliced habenero on chunks of cantaloupe is like my favorite dessert. I have to try it with watermelon.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sliced habenero on chunks of cantaloupe is like my favorite dessert.

:stonklol:

Wut?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My name is mischief and uhhhh....

I can't stand habaneros. They taste like citrus on aluminum cans.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What the gently caress? Good habeneros have an awesome fruity, nearly citrusy taste to them.

Sliced habenero on chunks of cantaloupe is like my favorite dessert. I have to try it with watermelon.

This post is a rollercoaster.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've never tried raw habanero, what's the problem with that post?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've never tried raw habanero, what's the problem with that post?

The melon desert I think. I prefer my habaneros in hot sauce, but there's nothing terrible about fresh ones. The grocery store ones can be pretty blech, sometimes. I don't taste the aluminium, but it's probably not that far away from the mineral flavors I get. Maybe it's a taste threshold where not everyone picks up on it the same.

You should try raw habanero though. The strong citrus/fruit that they can have is pretty wonderful.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I wound up slicing some up on toast with hot ajvar and cheese and then throwing the rest in my bland store bought curry for lunch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Try it! It’s really good.

Jhet posted:

You should try raw habanero though. The strong citrus/fruit that they can have is pretty wonderful.

Raw habs are so tasty. I wish they didn’t mess up my insides so bad, though. I can take the heat no problem when I’m eating them but I always have a wicked stomachache like an hour later.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Missing Name posted:

I wound up slicing some up on toast with hot ajvar and cheese and then throwing the rest in my bland store bought curry for lunch.

This reminds me I bought a jar of ajvar a while back and never really decided what to do with it. Toast and cheese sounds nice, what else do you use it for?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

angerbeet posted:

This reminds me I bought a jar of ajvar a while back and never really decided what to do with it. Toast and cheese sounds nice, what else do you use it for?

crackers

fried egg

might try some in savory oats or something

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I had a few too manys the other night, made some mistakes, and as a result I have a very grainy hot sauce. Blended up whole chunks of ginger and coriander seeds along with the peppers and vinegar mixture and it's like tasting hot sand. Flavor is still okay but the texture is completely ruined. My plan was wringing it out through some cheesecloth, but I'm wondering whether there's another, better method for this kinda thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Start with a fine mesh sieve before trying to push it through cheesecloth. I don’t know if it’ll take it all out, but it might get to a better texture. It should catch most of the ginger, but I’m not sure how well it’ll work on the coriander seed. It’s a step faster than cheesecloth, but that might be what you need to do anyway.

Worst case you end up with a really thin texture vinegar hot sauce, and at least you’ll know for next time to grate your ginger and grind your spices first. You could even double down on it, add a little more vinegar, and leave it to sit and extract all the flavor you can before cheesecloth filtering.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Start with a fine mesh sieve before trying to push it through cheesecloth. I don’t know if it’ll take it all out, but it might get to a better texture. It should catch most of the ginger, but I’m not sure how well it’ll work on the coriander seed. It’s a step faster than cheesecloth, but that might be what you need to do anyway.

Worst case you end up with a really thin texture vinegar hot sauce, and at least you’ll know for next time to grate your ginger and grind your spices first. You could even double down on it, add a little more vinegar, and leave it to sit and extract all the flavor you can before cheesecloth filtering.

Did the fine mesh sieve and it came out great, didn't need the cheesecloth! Turns out it needed a little extra acid (weird) to really put it over the edge. The pulp is currently drying in the oven so I can have something to shake on stuff.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Food mills are super underrated in texturing hot sauces.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
In March/April I noticed that the hot sauce section of my local grocer were getting very empty. Assumed that supply chain disruption meant that I might not get to try those sauces at a reasonable price anytime soon. So I loaded up on the hot sauces that could be got for $3 or less per bottle. I will absolutely pay more for something I know is good, but it's hard for me to justify $8 or more for a tiny bottle of something that might be underwhelming.

Tabasco Chipotle: picked this up because people said it is a good mass market chipotle sauce, and far better than other Tabasco sauces. This is true. Lightly spicy, and just the right amount of smoke/sour to put on anything. Scrambled eggs, canned sardines, pizza, egg rolls, turkey subs, etc.

Cholula Sweet Habanero: I love the flavor of habs and they are just the right level of heat for me. Sweet fruits like pineapple and mango go great with it. It is sweet and fruity. I did not like it, read the ingredients and found out that it doesn't just have pineapple in it, it has "natural pineapple flavor." Years ago I had a surgical thing where I had to drink a gallon of REMOVE ALL POOPS liquid before going to the doctor. It was pineapple flavored. It did not upset my stomach or make me puke. I did poop forever after drinking it though, and now any "pineapple flavor" foods taste unpleasant to me. This sauce is sweet and hot with a lingering flavor of "pineapple flavoring" and not just actual pineapple. Probably fine for anyone else, but I do not want it at all.

Pickapeppa: it's spicy jerk chicken sauce. Goes good anywhere you might use A1 or Worcestershire sauce. It's great, but a complex flavor that you don't really want to mix with anything else. I loved it on turkey burgers w/ swiss cheese and carmelized onions and mushrooms.

Tropical Pepper Co. Ghost Pepper: the first ingredient, even before water and vinegar, is ghost peppers. It has an unpleasant metallic smell. I like 2-3 drops in a bowl of soup or chili, mixed in real good. Straight out the bottle it is unpleasant both in level of heat and flavor. This is the spiciest sauce I have used and actually enjoyed.

My last unopened sauce from that panic purchase is Tobasco spicy honey. I've had more expensive froofy niche hot honeys before, and this is actually honey + hot peppers so I would be surprised if it's bad. Anyone tried it before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

Food mills are super underrated in texturing hot sauces.
Agreed! We've got one but it's old enough to qualify for an AARP membership and the holes are pretty big, honestly. I've used it in the past but we got a new blender that does a better job of liquifying everything so the mill wasn't really needed until now.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

In March/April I noticed that the hot sauce section of my local grocer were getting very empty. Assumed that supply chain disruption meant that I might not get to try those sauces at a reasonable price anytime soon. So I loaded up on the hot sauces that could be got for $3 or less per bottle. I will absolutely pay more for something I know is good, but it's hard for me to justify $8 or more for a tiny bottle of something that might be underwhelming.

Tabasco Chipotle: picked this up because people said it is a good mass market chipotle sauce, and far better than other Tabasco sauces. This is true. Lightly spicy, and just the right amount of smoke/sour to put on anything. Scrambled eggs, canned sardines, pizza, egg rolls, turkey subs, etc.

Cholula Sweet Habanero: I love the flavor of habs and they are just the right level of heat for me. Sweet fruits like pineapple and mango go great with it. It is sweet and fruity. I did not like it, read the ingredients and found out that it doesn't just have pineapple in it, it has "natural pineapple flavor." Years ago I had a surgical thing where I had to drink a gallon of REMOVE ALL POOPS liquid before going to the doctor. It was pineapple flavored. It did not upset my stomach or make me puke. I did poop forever after drinking it though, and now any "pineapple flavor" foods taste unpleasant to me. This sauce is sweet and hot with a lingering flavor of "pineapple flavoring" and not just actual pineapple. Probably fine for anyone else, but I do not want it at all.

Pickapeppa: it's spicy jerk chicken sauce. Goes good anywhere you might use A1 or Worcestershire sauce. It's great, but a complex flavor that you don't really want to mix with anything else. I loved it on turkey burgers w/ swiss cheese and carmelized onions and mushrooms.

Tropical Pepper Co. Ghost Pepper: the first ingredient, even before water and vinegar, is ghost peppers. It has an unpleasant metallic smell. I like 2-3 drops in a bowl of soup or chili, mixed in real good. Straight out the bottle it is unpleasant both in level of heat and flavor. This is the spiciest sauce I have used and actually enjoyed.

My last unopened sauce from that panic purchase is Tobasco spicy honey. I've had more expensive froofy niche hot honeys before, and this is actually honey + hot peppers so I would be surprised if it's bad. Anyone tried it before?
Pickapeppa is super and we've got at least two bottles on hand all the time, mostly cuz we forget we've got one at home and buy a safety bottle.