Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Zagreus spear is my favourite ranged weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JBP posted:

My main problem is that against bosses it feels extremely cumbersome to use versus virtually any other weapon that lets you smoothly tie together dash, dash attack and attack damage. Charge time is also time you're not using dash or cast, so the damage might appear fine, but it's nowhere near a string of attacks, dashes and specials applying three debuffs constantly.

The bow secret is that the dash-attack charges up to powershot way faster than the normal "neutral" attack (in exchange for doing less damage).
You should basically never charge a normal powershot without dashing first because it takes way too long, but the dash-powershot is pretty quick.

Fedule posted:

On the other hand, I picked Guan Yu for the last run and, like, man, never again. I don't understand it at all. The damage seems great but turned out not to be that useful, although the special was handy I guess? It's just... what's with the health thing? Why is this admittedly slightly more powerful moveset balanced in this way, as opposed to literally any other way? It was such a weird, stressful run. But on the other other hand I won that run, somehow, so, ?

I think you missed the most important part of Guan Yu, which is that the spin attack has lifesteal -- you heal 1 hp per damage tick per enemy.
I played one run and I'm not really a fan. The fact that the self-healing is only on one awkward-to-use move means if you're missing hp and all the ranged enemies are dead you just wanna cheese the rest of the fight with nothing but spin attacks for hp instead of playing normally and using literally any other part of your moveset. I wish it worked like the one hammer upgrade for the fists' uppercut and just healed you on kill instead. It also seems like the faster-spin-attack-charge hammer is super mandatory for it to be remotely usable.

It's great for applying status though because the spin hits multiple times. I played with the Demeter boon and it was easy to get to 10 stacks of chill against anything that wasn't squishy enough to die first.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
All these people making GBS threads on Heartseeker, some of you haven't put any Bloods into Chiron Aspect and it shows

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think you missed the most important part of Guan Yu, which is that the spin attack has lifesteal -- you heal 1 hp per damage tick per enemy.
I played one run and I'm not really a fan. The fact that the self-healing is only on one awkward-to-use move means if you're missing hp and all the ranged enemies are dead you just wanna cheese the rest of the fight with nothing but spin attacks for hp instead of playing normally and using literally any other part of your moveset. I wish it worked like the one hammer upgrade for the fists' uppercut and just healed you on kill instead. It also seems like the faster-spin-attack-charge hammer is super mandatory for it to be remotely usable.

It's great for applying status though because the spin hits multiple times. I played with the Demeter boon and it was easy to get to 10 stacks of chill against anything that wasn't squishy enough to die first.

I cannot stress enough that I did not miss this. I just find it extremely weird for basically the reasons given, it's slightly cumbersome if powerful, and I can work with it, except that it does this health gimmick on top of all that, which is like that one sword hammer but worse because of how much more cumbersome it is to heal (plus, does the sword hammer also damp healing?). I like the moveset and the attack, I just don't see why it's also bundled with this other thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Guan yu's default special is certified good but I couldn't handle higher heat levels with it at all. New Hades aspect is just too big

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

From what I've heard, Guan Yu was straight up broken as hell for most of Early Access, then it ate a bunch of really harsh nerfs and now it's "decent but only after pumping 15 loving bloods into the thing"

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I feel like Guan Yu would be better if the health penalty was significantly lowered or if the gimmick was just dropped altogether. Though the special spin attack is pretty certifiably great damage.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fedule posted:

I thought I was going insane but it turns out the game plays a very characteristic "ding!" sound when a fishing point spawns in a room.

On that note, what does it mean when you hear someone exhale after you clear all the enemies?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Pirate Jet posted:

On that note, what does it mean when you hear someone exhale after you clear all the enemies?

I do believe that's the sound of a centaur heart spawning but I'm going off memory here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Had a couple more nice runs today. This one opened with the crystal cast and I decided I'd try to get some duos for it - the lightning jolted Hunter's Mark chain skewer just went nuts on top of it.

And then I had One More Run, with a fist aspect I hadn't used before.

Not pictured: Draining Cutter, a Chaos boon for over +100% backstab damage, the two fountain chambers I got with Strong Drink on.

Pictured: Eurydice hitting the motherfuckin' spot with an Ambrosia Delight.

Not pictured: Orpheus was there, and they were singing the credits song instead of their usual duet.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Yet another run with the sword thwarted by Hades.

Smashed my way through the entire game, got to Hades with 250/300 HP, three DD's, and Skelly's trinket and still wiffed it.

I hate the sword.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

From what I've heard, Guan Yu was straight up broken as hell for most of Early Access, then it ate a bunch of really harsh nerfs and now it's "decent but only after pumping 15 loving bloods into the thing"

This is accurate. The spin attack went through pillars/obstacles. So you could stand behind them and just fire high damage healing spin attacks machine gun style to clear rooms with absolutely no danger. It ate like 10 nerfs and is now substantially worse.

Wildtortilla posted:

Yet another run with the sword thwarted by Hades.

Smashed my way through the entire game, got to Hades with 250/300 HP, three DD's, and Skelly's trinket and still wiffed it.

I hate the sword.

To state the obvious, you probably need to just slow down a bit and focus on his attack patterns. Your builds are clearly fine if you’re getting to him with that many resources left.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 27, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Finally escaped on attempt 32 with the bow. For whatever reason the bow clicks with my play style like no other weapon. I got some Doom on special and Weak on attack with the duo that inflicts constant Doom when Weak. I just stayed far away from Hades and slowly ticked him down. Feels great!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dad is such a dick about the lounge upgrades.

*gets Chef Shade some knives*

"HE HAS ENOUGH UTENSILS, THANK YOU.

*gets a fish tank*

"I'M SORRY, BUT IS THIS MY DRUNKARD BROTHER'S REALM?"

*gets green cushions for the chairs*

"I loving HATE THE COLOR GREEN. THIS IS WHY I DON'T LOVE YOU."

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Funky Valentine posted:

*gets a fish tank*

Dad's such a sourpuss and it owns. :allears:

My favorite so far is when you commission a disco ball for the lounge and he goes "what in the actual gently caress"

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I played this game for 10 hours today. It's so good

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
why the gently caress does he have multiple forms

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Funky Valentine posted:

*gets a fish tank*

The post-decoration dialogue is my favorite for sure. It actually makes me laugh out loud.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Giving Nyx some Ambrosia was pure joy. She actually laughed at a joke at dad's expense and said it was delicious. And that was just the after the first one! I love all the new bonding in 1.0

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Okay my new favourite thing is getting an Epic Exit Wounds boon from Artemis while using the Poseidon Sword Aspect

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

*gets a fish tank*

*get some meat racks for the kitchen*

WE SHOULD HANG YOU UP THERE

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow I didn't realize the spinny shield aspect also made it loving massive and it hits like a truck with a few levels in it. This seems like it would be really good with chill or hangover!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I suuuck at this game.

My new strat is just to accept it and suck my way to victory. 700 more darkness and I get another do over so I'm going for that now. 10+ upgrades and I get 4 diamonds. Then I can do more upgrades. Sounds like a plan! Choose something to help or choose something new to fill out the book? Choose something new!

Unless I have a run that is going well, then I try. Otherwise I'm just focused on unlocking and surviving as long as I can.

I know I met Demeter once, she's pretty rare?

I googled the keepsakes to see who I was missing and see it is her, mom and thanatos. Never seen him. Is he in act 4 or something?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The first time you meet Thanatos is in Elysium but he has a comically low chance of showing up the first time. It's better after you've met him once but I was fourty five runs in before I met him.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Thanatos will first appear in Elysium eventually and after that he has a chance to show up in any zone after you've taken damage (except Styx), and if that happens he also has a good chance of showing up at the House afterwards.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

He never shows up in Elite/Mini-Boss rooms so skipping those should increase your odds of running into him.

Speaking of Mini-bosses, I just got the Super Butterflyball, and Zag's first response to entering this room was to sigh heavily.
Me too bud, me too.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Today I discovered there’s a Well of Charon item that specifically keeps flamewheels from appearing in Elysium for a certain number of encounters. :allears:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Infinite attack/no reload rail with literally any status effect build is hilariously overpowered.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I beat Extreme Measures 4 for the first time... I would not recommend doing it without a ranged weapon. I had the OP build (chiron bow, epic demeter attack, epic aphrodite special, 350 life) and he still took two DDs.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So what's the actual trick to making Asterius crash into Theseus? Sometimes when I lead his charge into blondie, they'll connect and crash, but other times I'll just take 80 damage getting hit by the charge and a spear for my trouble.

Also, gently caress the armored archers and shield guys. The archers have been shooting me through cover all over the map and the shield guys have some kind of teleport move that puts them on top of you for a shield spin. Lame.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've got 20 bottles of ambrosia and never been promoted to use it. What gives?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hand out more Nectar

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can't give em the good poo poo right away

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

JBP posted:

I've got 20 bottles of ambrosia and never been promoted to use it. What gives?
The main use is after you've maxed out Nectar gifts to various NPCs and the gods you meet on your escapes. At a certain point, they don't want Nectar anymore, but if you hit the right dialogue, you can start getting more closely bonded by offering Ambrosia.

After you've progressed your relationships with some of the NPCs, they offer you summonable companions, who you level up with Ambrosia the same way weapons level up with Blood.

A few important work orders also cost Ambrosia, but not many.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
I wanna throw my two cents on that the fishing boon is a good luck charm. Had Zag spear with aphrodite weakness into damage, then extra damage from multiple sources and hermes attack speed increase, stupid good dps.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

This game is very good. Just had an incredibly op build with fists + a lot of zeus with support fire and stacking as much dodge as I could.

A question about hangover, say I have both drunken strike and drunken dash. When upgrading hangover damage on one boon, does it only apply the increased damage when that attack [or dodge in this case] applies the effect or does it choose whichever has the higher hangover damage?

Professor Latency fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 27, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I feel like I'm so bad at this game. I can pretty consistently get to the Hydra boss now but still die to it about half the time and have only really 'clicked' with the gun which I managed to drag to the act 3 boss before losing. All the other weapons die to bullshit halfway through Elysium.

Is there any way to respec blood you've spent on weapons? I dumped it into a few before realizing how limited it was early on and really want to try some of the other weapon variants. Also Alecto keeps kicking my rear end, Meg and Tisiphone are chumps but I don't think I've actually beaten Alecto yet when she shows up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Here's another dumb question: how do you upgrade weapons? I see that post above mine saying it was done, but I haven't noticed a way to do it.

I suspect this would help a lot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waltzing Along posted:

Here's another dumb question: how do you upgrade weapons? I see that post above mine saying it was done, but I haven't noticed a way to do it.

I suspect this would help a lot.

You need to beat Megara and get into act 2. The first time you beat her with each weapon she drops Blood which Skelly teaches you to use (interact with the shadow the weapon leaves after selecting it). You can upgrade a weapon in its basic form or unlock variants that change something fundamental about the weapon (ie. the Sword has one so your 'Special' attack force expels any gems embedded in enemies, the Bow has one that makes the shotgun shoot out fewer shots but home on the last enemy you hit with a charge attack etc.). Its almost exclusively sidegrade stuff though you can also level up innate stuff in the default version of the weapon too, like giving the bow a small amount of innate crit chance.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You also can't access the upgrade menu until you've unlocked all 6 base weapons (the Railgun is the last one)