Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kenning posted:

. The real surprising thing is that no up-and-comers have been able to force the losses on the injured top-rankers enough to get them demoted or retired. Maybe we're finally starting to see that.

the three ozeki that held the rank when i started following sumo on an every basho basis in summer 2018 all dropping in quick sucession from september '19 to january '20 kinda count for this imo. as i mentioned last basho during that timeframe i've now seen 2 m19s win basho and 0 ozeki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Macaron is gonna be purple

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Thauros posted:

the three ozeki that held the rank when i started following sumo on an every basho basis in summer 2018 all dropping in quick sucession from september '19 to january '20 kinda count for this imo. as i mentioned last basho during that timeframe i've now seen 2 m19s win basho and 0 ozeki.

I guess so. Losing Goeido and Takayasu was a big deal. I think Asanoyama settling in at y/o alongside Takakeisho, and Shodai contending for that spot, is a pretty big sea change. The real test for me will be getting a new Yokozuna. I think Asanoyama is still the favorite there, but it's gonna take a couple basho at least.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Sansho announced. Shodai got the Outstanding Performance prize and Tobizaru got Fighting Spirit, and they have conditional prizes riding on their match: if Shodai wins he gets the Fighting Spirit prize too, and if Tobizaru wins he gets Technique.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Surprised they didn't give out any kanto-sho (fighting spirit) to the other maegashira contenders like Onosho or Wakatakakage. Tobizaru and Shodai are definitely the two standouts this tournament I guess.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Watching live streams has made me start judging how much salt is thrown and the distance they get. This is normal right?

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Watching live streams has made me start judging how much salt is thrown and the distance they get. This is normal right?

Yes, that's why Terutsuyoshi is the best.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I immediately form an opinion of a wrestler based on their salt throwing technique. So... yes?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ura is the best. He throws like 3 grains of salt. It's very elegant.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Kenning posted:

Ura is the best. He throws like 3 grains of salt. It's very elegant.

I really enjoy Takarafuji's low effort, underhand flicking of salt

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

whats for dinner posted:

I immediately form an opinion of a wrestler based on their salt throwing technique. So... yes?

You notice how the two yokozuna have a similar salt tossing style that no one else dares to jack?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
why the gently caress does wakaflockaflame not get an award? he's had a ridiculous basho.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kenning posted:

Lots of sumo analysis

A much better way to word it.

Also, it feels that they tend to more 12 win yushos as well. A Yusho is a Yusho, but the YDC inside me gets a bit grumbly about it.

Kenning posted:

I guess so. Losing Goeido and Takayasu was a big deal. I think Asanoyama settling in at y/o alongside Takakeisho, and Shodai contending for that spot, is a pretty big sea change. The real test for me will be getting a new Yokozuna. I think Asanoyama is still the favorite there, but it's gonna take a couple basho at least.

I actually find it a little worrying that no-one is really stepping up in the Hakuho-less power vacuum. I'm honestly think we might not have a new Yokozuna for a while. A second University Yokozuna would be cool, though.

Marching Powder posted:

...wakaflockaflame...

Thank god, I'm not the only that's been thinking that!

In breaking news, Hattorizakura finding new ways to come bottom of everything. Eight losses, to just nudge out Asashorei with seven.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kotoeko with all the guts.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

You notice how the two yokozuna have a similar salt tossing style that no one else dares to jack?

Yes and I love it. When I first started watching I thought it was a special thing that only the Yokozuna were allowed to do. I dream of a day when Terutsuyoshi becomes Yokozuna and just grabs the whole box of salt to throw into the dohyo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
the macaroon will be dark green the colour of autumn

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Can someone explain the macaroon to the new guy? Also can it be like aggressively neon green? Like Seahawks color rush green. A good "why the gently caress did someone do this?"

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Can someone explain the macaroon to the new guy? Also can it be like aggressively neon green? Like Seahawks color rush green. A good "why the gently caress did someone do this?"

Found this article on Japan Times from 2018 when Mitakeumi won the Nagoya Yusho, mentions the macaron and many other interesting trophies (Hungarian vases, Corona, presumably fish from the photo at the top???):

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/07/25/sumo/mitakeumi-earns-spoils-victory/

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
... its a burger

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ches Neckbeard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntsMMYWCPUw

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Shodai vs Tobizaru was AWESOME. Man, that was a seriously great bout.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The shimpan department has decided to recommend Shodai for Ozeki. It will become official if the board approves it in its next meeting (it's usually a rubber stamp).

Looks like we got another Ozeki!

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Shodai vs Tobizaru was a great way to end the yusho and really happy to see Shodai finally win, but still felt for Tobizaru as he walked off the dohyo, looked like he was about to break down :(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

The shimpan department has decided to recommend Shodai for Ozeki. It will become official if the board approves it in its next meeting (it's usually a rubber stamp).

Looks like we got another Ozeki!

Huh, that's interesting.

I was thinking that they might wait to see if he gets a decent score next basho like they did with Takakeisho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Huh, that's interesting.

I was thinking that they might wait to see if he gets a decent score next basho like they did with Takakeisho.

one big difference (to me at least, i don't know if the shinpan committee shares my view) is that shodai beat both ozeki while takakeisho lost to both of them he faced.he did beat hakuho in his last match before he went fusen, i don't remember how injured he seemed to have been.
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=12191&b=201901

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Thauros posted:

one big difference (to me at least, i don't know if the shinpan committee shares my view) is that shodai beat both ozeki while takakeisho lost to both of them he faced.he did beat hakuho in his last match before he went fusen, i don't remember how injured he seemed to have been.
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=12191&b=201901

Eh, their wins/losses versus O/Y in the bashos leading up to promotion were kinda similar. Maybe they just wanted Takakeisho to have another basho at Sekiwake before promoting. They generally prefer the 33(ish) wins coming at S rather than K.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I mean he has 32 wins over the past 3 bashos and he has 2 jun yushos in the two bashos before that, so over the past 5 he has 56 wins, a yusho and 2 jun yushos. They were hungry for an Ozeki and he seems to be super healthy and is just winning matches.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There's a good chance they're gonna be down two Yokozuna by 2021 too, so makes sense they're fast-tracking some people to higher rankings.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I think part of Takakeisho vs. Shodai is the age and experience factor. Like while they're supposed to look at the last couple tournaments, it's probably somewhere in their minds that Takakeisho was a 22 year old upstart that they probably wanted to prove wasn't a fluke while Shodai's a vet that they've seen for a long time and were just waiting to put it make the leap.

Of the next Sanyaku guys, if Terunofuji, Mitakuemi and Takanosho put up similar runs, I could see Terunofuji getting the nod before than the others because if Teru picks of a 32 or even 31, they're more likely to be like "close enough, buddy. Here's your rank back because we know you're good enough when healthy". while the other guys with the same record might have to really prove it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I remember that the last Japanese Yokozuna also got a "really good year" consideration to his promotion. Not that that is a good reason to push Shodai to or pull Takakeisho from Ozeki, but the storylines are important.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That osteoarthritis isn't going away, I can't see terunofuji maintaining his spells without dropping out of one or two bashos a year.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i consider the y/o promotion guidelines to be guidelines. i don't mind a little bit of the ol' eye-test coming into it. shodai is fighting like an ozeki imo and that was a good rear end yusho. though i was heart broken for the kid. had tons of heart.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

i consider the y/o promotion guidelines to be guidelines. i don't mind a little bit of the ol' eye-test coming into it. shodai is fighting like an ozeki imo and that was a good rear end yusho. though i was heart broken for the kid. had tons of heart.

I don’t think it’s the peak for tobizaru like he’s ichinojo. He’s just the right size to where hopefully he doesn’t blow some knees out too early and he has really solid technique instead of relying on power. I believe he will be in the m4-m9 upper rank and file for the next year. I do think he will struggle to kachikoshi next basho though

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

so assuming shodai's promoted who's going to get the second komosubi slot? presumably takanosho would get the vacated sekiwake position and terunofuji the east K slot. kiribayama?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell yeah! We called it!

This was a very interesting basho! The huge number of kyujo was a bummer, as was seeing guys like Kotoshogiku and Shohozan on their last legs. On the other hand, the yusho race was super exciting, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from the likes of Tobizaru, Kotoshoho, and even Hoshoryu, who I think did just fine considering all the pressure on him.

Final results:

code:
49	anakha
51	Banana Canada
57.5	bartolimu
44	Beeswax
43	bessantj
37	Cage Kicker
39	Charles Gnarwin
42	Chinook
35.5	Dias
51.5	Diplomat
65	Fluffdaddy
40	Foehammer007
41	Gerund
57.5	GoatSeeGuy
40	ilmucche
59.5	Helianthus Annuus
38	Jobbo_Fett
46.5	Kenning
57	Lid
35	Liquid Communism
49	Lone Goat
47	Maigius
65	MalarkeyToboggan
56	Marching Powder
41	Martytoof
43	Mekchu
59.5	pseudodragon
34.5	QuasiQuack
48	Robviously
36	sivad
45.5	Skjorte
61	Sub Rosa
50	Thauros
62	Tiny Bug Child
41	whats for dinner
This tournament we have...two winners! Congratulations to Fluffdaddy and MalarkeyToboggan. It turns out the tiebreakers I outlined in the rules post don't work in situations like this, where they both had Shodai, and no other tiebreaking events like kinboshi or special prizes. Also no make-koshi! If only Fluffdaddy had correctly predicted the macaron color.

The only other teams to boast no losing records were Tiny Bug Child, in second place, and Maigius, although that team was all 8 win records except Asanoyama, meaning it scored solidly in the middle of the pack. Special shout out to Cage Kicker and Liquid Communism for failing to get a single winning record except for their ozeki pick.

This was a huge fantasy league, 35 people total! I'm looking forward to next time, and I should probably work on improving my spreadsheet some more. Congrats to the joint winners!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Kenning posted:

code:
34.5	QuasiQuack

:negative:

Friendship ended with Enho, now Tobizaru is my new best friend.

For real though, Enho looked fantastic in his last match of the basho. Really hoping that's what we can expect from him next time. And for Ishiura to heal up properly.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kenning posted:

This was a huge fantasy league, 35 people total! I'm looking forward to next time, and I should probably work on improving my spreadsheet some more. Congrats to the joint winners!

Thank you for doing this. November can't come quickly enough.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Was fun :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Kenning posted:

Special shout out to Cage Kicker and Liquid Communism for failing to get a single winning record except for their ozeki pick.

Gotta be the best at something! This was so much fun, I super enjoyed my first basho