Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How do you get a crew to want to get off a nuclear wessel?

In Alameda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I would have liked to see Bozeman, Montana.... *dies*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm not a naval officer, I'm Section 31.

Shecktion 31?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drone posted:

I would have liked to see Bozeman.... *dies*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We will pass through the Romulan patrols, past their senshor nets. We will lay off Romulus and drink their romulan ale while we reverse the polarities. Then we will sail to Ryeshah where the sun is warm and so is the comradeship.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Connery would have looked great in one of those TOS movie uniforms.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

Connery would have looked great in one of those TOS movie uniforms.

Didn't they want him for a role? I could have sworn they tried to get Connery in a film.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Of all the SNL alumina they could conjure up to teach Data about humor, Joe Piscopo?

Edit: Oh dear god a Jerry Lewis bit, gently caress!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

side_burned posted:

Of all the SNL alumina they could conjure up to teach Data about humor, Joe Piscopo?

That episode is truly outrageous.

Also Teri Hatcher running around and the pregnant daughter later showed up in SeaQuest DSV

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

side_burned posted:

They actually wanted Jerry Lewis for the role, but he was busy with other shows.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't they want him for a role? I could have sworn they tried to get Connery in a film.

Shatner wanted Connery to play Sybok. They couldn't afford him, but tossed in a reference to him by naming the planet Sha Ka Ree. (Get it?)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Timby posted:

Shatner wanted Connery to play Sybok. They couldn't afford him, but tossed in a reference to him by naming the planet Sha Ka Ree. (Get it?)

ST5 is the gift that keeps on giving

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timby posted:

Oh god dammit. Though he would have been pretty good as Sybok.

Humerus posted:

ST5 is the gift that keeps on giving

No matter how good of a line "What does God need with a Starship?" is, the movie is just bad.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god dammit. Though he would have been pretty good as Sybok.

No matter how good of a line "What does God need with a Starship?" is, the movie is just bad.

At least it's entertaining bad unlike Insurrection's boring bad or Nemesis' incomprehensible bad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

The Final Frontier was cheesy and stupid, for sure, but it’s really fun. I hated it when I was younger because I was serious about Star Trek and its dopey tone made me see red. But having watched it again last year I found it super endearing. It’s like so-bad-it’s-good fan fiction given a Hollywood budget. And the soundtrack is pretty great, especially “A Busy Man” which is basically a prototype of First Contact’s main theme.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phylodox posted:

And the soundtrack is pretty great, especially “A Busy Man” which is basically a prototype of First Contact’s main theme.

ST5's rendition of the Klingon leitmotif has always been my favorite version of that particular tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwRVtn5xxas&t=180s

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

pyrotek posted:

They actually wanted Jerry Lewis for the role, but he was busy with other shows.

Brent Spiner and Jerry Lewis both going in and out of Lewis's stage persona actually sounds interesting. I never really noticed how demanding of a role Data was they really needed an actor who could shift from Data's normal mode to doing some bit where Data is mimicking some type of human behavior (usually badly) and back again; Datalore is the first good episode in series mainly because you get to watch Spiner shift gears between Data and Lore sometime in the same shot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

side_burned posted:

Brent Spiner and Jerry Lewis both going in and out of Lewis's stage persona actually sounds interesting. I never really noticed how demanding of a role Data was they really needed an actor who could shift from Data's normal mode to doing some bit where Data is mimicking some type of human behavior (usually badly) and back again; Datalore is the first good episode in series mainly because you get to watch Spiner shift gears between Data and Lore sometime in the same shot.

Spiner is actually really talented at comedy. And now that I think about it, you'd kind of have to be a capable comedian to play a character like Data, who fails to be funny whenever he tries to be, but is frequently funny inadvertently.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Spiner isn’t a very dynamic actor, but his comedic timing is brilliant and in another universe probably would have been pretty decent at standup or in the sitcom circuit.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

"Geordi, I cannot stun my cat"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In retrospect, I notice that this was the first episode where Mariner was a full-on minor character. Her story at the start was just the basic setup and she didn't even do any particular Marinerisms to the plot during it.

Also, it seems like they've pretty much expanded the four main upper decks characters to five, the chief engineer seems to basically be on par with Shanx and T'ana at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phylodox posted:

The Final Frontier was cheesy and stupid, for sure, but it’s really fun. I hated it when I was younger because I was serious about Star Trek and its dopey tone made me see red. But having watched it again last year I found it super endearing. It’s like so-bad-it’s-good fan fiction given a Hollywood budget. And the soundtrack is pretty great, especially “A Busy Man” which is basically a prototype of First Contact’s main theme.
Parts of it are fun but it seriously feels like 3-4 movie scripts bolted onto one another

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

MikeJF posted:

In retrospect, I notice that this was the first episode where Mariner was a full-on minor character. Her story at the start was just the basic setup and she didn't even do any particular Marinerisms to the plot during it.

Also, it seems like they've pretty much expanded the four main upper decks characters to five, the chief engineer seems to basically be on par with Shanx and T'ana at this point.

Anything that gets Paul Scheer more work makes me insanely happy.

Although it makes me wonder if Mantzoukas will make a voice appearance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Parts of it are fun but it seriously feels like 3-4 movie scripts bolted onto one another

It's just a second-draft script that was rushed into production.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

HD DAD posted:

Spiner isn’t a very dynamic actor, but his comedic timing is brilliant and in another universe probably would have been pretty decent at standup or in the sitcom circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee4jlGUYRiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-erRnMjjU7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE6brM24yIA

apparently had to chose between becoming a regular on night court and doing star trek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxBn80z13kc&t=241s

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 28, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

It's a Picard reference.

It wasn't. It was a TNG reference.

What is a good combination of :actually: + :goonsay: with a hint of :byodood:

We know it's a reference you twit. That can be a type of humor. If you want to say that not all forms of humor are "jokes" then sure fine but its conversational shorthand.

It's ok not to like the style of humor that Lower Decks is, but this technically it is not a joke therefore my laugh protocol did not engage and it is objectively bad beep boop is insufferable

Mostly the references are low-points, humor wise, but not all of them. It's a new show, and I think it hits more than it misses.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The Bloop posted:

What is a good combination of :actually: + :goonsay: with a hint of :byodood:

We know it's a reference you twit. That can be a type of humor. If you want to say that not all forms of humor are "jokes" then sure fine but its conversational shorthand.

It's ok not to like the style of humor that Lower Decks is, but this technically it is not a joke therefore my laugh protocol did not engage and it is objectively bad beep boop is insufferable

Mostly the references are low-points, humor wise, but not all of them. It's a new show, and I think it hits more than it misses.

I appreciate the fact that they're both running traditional A+B plots, that they're having some fun with Sci-Fi concepts, and while I think most of us agree that the "remember X? Remember Y" shout out references don't work for us, there's still a lot of good in this show.

This show is far, far better than I was expecting, as well. I've enjoyed every episode. I'm not waiting for how this is going to disappoint me like Discovery and Picard, partially because this is episodic. If there's a plot I'm not that invested in, it's okay because next week is different, and if there's one I do enjoy, I can enjoy it and not worry about how they're going to undermine it in a couple episodes (looking at you, Hugh and the reclaimed Borg plot!)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really think the high plot must have gotten hijacked by studio/marketing types when they signed Ryan

I'm glad she was there because she's great, but ugh that wet fart of a conclusion to a great narrative hook plus doing icheb dirty

Not good

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The Bloop posted:

I really think the high plot must have gotten hijacked by studio/marketing types when they signed Ryan

I'm glad she was there because she's great, but ugh that wet fart of a conclusion to a great narrative hook plus doing icheb dirty

Not good

I should have clarified that the entire Borg plot was unfulfilling, including Seven.

VVDefinitely. It's unfortunate because there could have been a balance between Hugh and Seven. Hugh was connected with the Borg after working with them forever. It works for him to be beyond angry and to take over the cube after seeing the Borg being killed. Seven was disconnected and fought it and wasn't emotionally connected to them.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 29, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MichiganCubbie posted:

I should have clarified that the entire Borg plot was unfulfilling, including Seven.

Sure that's true I'm just saying it isn't Jerry Ryan's fault

All the most interesting ideas in Picard were left to die on the vine so we could have dumb stupid poo poo instead

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
If the entire season had been about Picard and Seven trying to help the ex-Borg who were being experimented on by Romulans, that would have fit both characters so much more. I don't understand why they chose to do the Skynet / Mass Effect plot, especially right after season 2 of Discovery did such a similar plot.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

when u gotta cold start your warp reactor

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lord Krangdar posted:

If the entire season had been about Picard and Seven trying to help the ex-Borg who were being experimented on by Romulans, that would have fit both characters so much more. I don't understand why they chose to do the Skynet / Mass Effect plot, especially right after season 2 of Discovery did such a similar plot.

It's pretty baffling. You want to do Borgs, fine. You got two strong characters with Borg pasts (three if you're bringing in Hugh, why not) and it makes total sense that the previously Borged would be discriminated against/experimented on by Romulans. Have them fight for their rights to live as people again. You can throw in the android stuff in that too, why not. We've seen the Federation fail to live up to its ideals a hundred times and have to be pushed by our main characters. Classic Trek poo poo and fits perfectly with Picard's character. And for your current day relevance the ex Borgs = refugees angle is right there.

I don't get it. Michael Chabon is a great author. Did that skill not translate to TV, was it hosed with by the network, did he just whiff? I didn't hate Picard like a lot of people do but it definitely failed to deliver.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 30, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't get it. Michael Chabon is a great author. Did that skill not translate to TV, was it hosed with by the network, did he just whiff? I didn't hate Picard like a lot of people do but it definitely failed to deliver.

The show had like 12 executive producers overpaid assholes milking it, so I'd say "hosed with by someone" is a pretty strong possibility.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grand Fromage posted:

It's pretty baffling. You want to do Borgs, fine. You got two strong characters with Borg pasts (three if you're bringing in Hugh, why not) and it makes total sense that the previously Borged would be discriminated against/experimented on by Romulans. Have them fight for their rights to live as people again. You can throw in the android stuff in that too, why not. We've seen the Federation fail to live up to its ideals a hundred times and have to be pushed by our main characters. Classic Trek poo poo and fits perfectly with Picard's character. And for your current day relevance the ex Borgs = refugees angle is right there.

Chabon is a great writer, but his skill set may not have translated over to screenwriting, which is a different beast. Also, he’s paired up with Voyager novel author Beyer, whose only screen credits up to that point were the worst episodes of Discovery. Throw both of them under Kurtzman and Stewart, and you have a recipe for....not good.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
For some reason Picard was fly-by-wire.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/09/29/interview-jonathan-frakes-talks-directing-star-trek-picard-season-2-wants-more-riker-troi-family/

quote:

So I was directing episodes four and five. The nightclub episode and the one with the nuns, a couple of great episodes. And Patrick was in fabulous form. And there was no mention of this “Nepenthe” story, which ended up being episode seven. Then somewhere late in the shooting of those two episodes, I guess there was a meeting about it, and then they called and said, “What do you think about doing this?” And I said, “What do you think I think?” [laughs] But it was not part of the plan. When they broke the season, there was no Rikers-in-the-cabin thing. It happened somewhere during a re-break. I don’t know, but I’m so grateful. And it was such a great episode and so well received.

So Frakes was finishing direction Episode 5. Why were they still in flux about Episode 7? They didn't know for sure what they were doing 2+ weeks from then. That's ridiculous.

Is it so much to ask that they write the season before they start filming, and that they have a solid idea where it's going?

And also the first 3 episodes of Picard used to be two episodes, but they expanded it. The flashbacks were added later in production.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol remember when people said "oh, short seasons and internet streaming will mean writers can plan out the most exquisitely written plot arcs"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xerxus posted:

And also the first 3 episodes of Picard used to be two episodes, but they expanded it. The flashbacks were added later in production.

That explains why those first ones were so slow.

Discovery famously was even worse, rewriting episodes and building sets on the same episode that was currently filming. CBS seems like they don't really know how to do this poo poo at all.

There's rumours around that they had to rush production on the later lower decks too because CBS surprised them with the '23 weeks of trek' and they thought they had more time before the back five aired, which I can absolutely believe.

Awww man only two more episodes of LDS. :( And they're only just recently starting season two, apparently.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 30, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think there are few too many people running media right now that think people need to have the highest stakes in everything. You can't do a story that doesn't have world ending problems to overcome, because people won't get invested, or so they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Because it's very, very easy and those few people are deeply uncreative.

"Save all life in the galaxy" helpfully comes with its goals and motivations baked in. You just swap out the protagonist names and method of destruction, shove it in the microwave and you're done.