Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shipon posted:

If he had called it what it actually is (the 3080 Ti) people would have been very angry that they jacked the Ti price up another $300

is that a legitimate grievance when the 1650 ti and 1070 ti have already diluted that brand? I dont think it means what it used to. If anything, 3080 super and then reduce the ram makes more sense to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

nnnotime posted:

Nvidia should have called this card something else besides the 3090. Branding the card as the next step up from the 3080 will make the uninformed, non-8K gamers think the 3090 is the absolute top-of-the-line Nvidia _gaming_ card to acquire, but not considering how much extra money they are paying for a very mild performance increase over the 3080.

The 'price-no-object' people don't care and anyone who isn't in that class but is still willing to drop $1500 on a GPU without learning what they're buying is so dumb that there's no helping them.

They shouldn't have called it the 3090 because those are dual GPU cards. Years of history thrown out, thoughtlessly.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Some Goon posted:

The 'price-no-object' people don't care and anyone who isn't in that class but is still willing to drop $1500 on a GPU without learning what they're buying is so dumb that there's no helping them.

They shouldn't have called it the 3090 because those are dual GPU cards. Years of history thrown out, thoughtlessly.
I agree, but better would have been to brand the card as something like the, "3090cc". The customers would have asked, "what does the 'cc' mean?" and they would come to understand the 'cc' meant Content Creators. Then the primary market for the card, being the Content Creators (per Jensen), would have understood the 3090cc was the top-of-the-line card for them, and the insatiable, starved-for-moar-framerate gamers (like me) would dig a little deeper into the 3090cc details to see if the additional cost for performance over the 3080 was worth it.

As it stands now there will probably be many Content Creators that don't realize the 3090 is best for their purposes, and consider instead the 3080 or 3070 series cards simply because the cards are cheaper than the 3090, with them assuming the 3090 is just a way over-priced gaming card.

I'm not raging personally about it, but seems like a big marketing mistake on Nvidia's part.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 27, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pyrotek posted:

So you think AMD will be competitive as long as you don't care about ray tracing, AI upscaling, high framerates, high resolution, or high settings in highly anticipated upcoming games?

I know for a fact AMD has way better drivers for my operating system of choice which has been a pretty annoying issue for me recently. Also, out of the list of games that are supposed to support either DLSS or RTX, I'm only interested in 2077. That's one game I'll probably play for 20-40 hours, out of the hundreds of hours a year I spend playing games.

No other game I currently play or intend to play in the next couple years supports either, and most of the games I play on my 980Ti run fine at 4k60 vsync locked, by only lowering or disabling settings that don't actually visually improve the picture quality, or even degrade it (like blur/dof etc).

Additionally, DLSS isn't supported in VR games, and is unlikely to be in the next couple years, which is the thing I'm actually buying gpu power for at this point in time, so if I can get a ~3070 equivalent with a not-lovely driver situation for ~500, I'll probably buy it immediately just because I've been waiting for so long, thanks to 2000 series being overpriced as gently caress.

I just hope this 980Ti keeps working fine until then, recently it stopped boosting to 1600MHz, which has hurt my VR performance just enough that I get bad stutters in some games that ran fairly smoothly before. it now stops at 1488Mhz, if I try going for 1492 or higher it crashes instantly :godwinning: no matter how high i crank the voltage

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm guessing the real titan is going to be $3500 again, like Titan V. They'll flip enough workstation bits and add enough RAM it'll be worth it for the common prosumer tasks.

for the price the 3090 really should have the workstation bits turned on. It really does hurt a lot of the "prosumer" markets that have traditionally used that price tier of card. That's an easy market opportunity for AMD to exploit with another "frontier edition" if they want.

The giant 3090 FE cooler is baller though and if you just want a super good looking triple slot "3080 super" that would run super cool and quiet, I could see that. It's not good value for money at all but it's a super nice high-end card.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 27, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Truga posted:

I know for a fact AMD has way better drivers for my operating system of choice which has been a pretty annoying issue for me recently. Also, out of the list of games that are supposed to support either DLSS or RTX, I'm only interested in 2077. That's one game I'll probably play for 20-40 hours, out of the hundreds of hours a year I spend playing games.

No other game I currently play or intend to play in the next couple years supports either, and most of the games I play on my 980Ti run fine at 4k60 vsync locked, by only lowering or disabling settings that don't actually visually improve the picture quality, or even degrade it (like blur/dof etc).

Additionally, DLSS isn't supported in VR games, and is unlikely to be in the next couple years, which is the thing I'm actually buying gpu power for at this point in time, so if I can get a ~3070 equivalent with a not-lovely driver situation for ~500, I'll probably buy it immediately just because I've been waiting for so long, thanks to 2000 series being overpriced as gently caress.

I just hope this 980Ti keeps working fine until then, recently it stopped boosting to 1600MHz, which has hurt my VR performance just enough that I get bad stutters in some games that ran fairly smoothly before. it now stops at 1488Mhz, if I try going for 1492 or higher it crashes instantly :godwinning: no matter how high i crank the voltage

I'm glad you understand your use case, but it is hard to say AMD will be competitive if they can't keep up in framerates, resolution, etc. at high settings in popular games. Even ray tracing will probably be important soon with the new consoles supporting it.

DLSS 2.1 does actually support VR. How many games will actually use it is definitely a question, given I haven't seen any that have announced they are using it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I missed the last 10 pages or so but is it right that Capgate hasn't actually been proven to be related to capacitors at all and Igor and Jayz jumped the gun?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

I missed the last 10 pages or so but is it right that Capgate hasn't actually been proven to be related to capacitors at all and Igor and Jayz jumped the gun?

correct, there is the possibility that these are orthogonal problems, that there is a driver problem and/or some cards may also not be stable (for reasons related or unrelated to caps, some cards are unstable even with the MLCC caps). There have been some stability complaints with older cards on the new driver version that might imply general driver problems, and some of the 3080 AIB cards also don't seem stable at the clocks they shipped just independent of that.

I actually think NVIDIA's secrecy may have caused the clock problems, partner pre-release BIOS only had that one burn test program that was just a power spec. Well, what if games with more varied shader workloads and more clockrate transitions aren't the same as the burn test program? EVGA didn't find it until after reviewers had cards (i.e. until after real VBIOS/driver release), but good-guy EVGA did product testing on their launch cards, when they found their cards weren't stable they pulled cards off the line and redid them

NVIDIA normally has good technical packages, this is a bit of a flub. Partners may have to back down the clocks they ship a bit.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 27, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Maybe the capgate issues are mostly related to aging power supplies being unable to handle 350+ watts.

I’m beginning to think the 9/23 orders not yet shipped are on back order.
capgate or no the 30 series seems more sensitive to power supply quality

i have a 4yo evga g3 650W gold and airraid has a brand new 750W iirc. he got a significant perf boost from split pci-e cables to 2 separate, while i'm exceeding his results on a split cable.

in 3dmark i'm power limited, but mostly vrel limited in games. it's not temperature limited gpuboost either as we tried removing that variable with aggressive fan curves

that or i have a much higher binned chip impacting these comparisons. i've ordered a new pci-e cable to see if any significant change happens but that'll be a while

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

that sounds more like a chip binning thing than a PSU issue

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

capgate or no the 30 series seems more sensitive to power supply quality

i have a 4yo evga g3 650W gold and airraid has a brand new 750W iirc. he got a significant perf boost from split pci-e cables to 2 separate, while i'm exceeding his results on a split cable.

in 3dmark i'm power limited, but mostly vrel limited in games. it's not temperature limited gpuboost either as we tried removing that variable with aggressive fan curves

that or i have a much higher binned chip impacting these comparisons. i've ordered a new pci-e cable to see if any significant change happens but that'll be a while

Pft. "Exceeding my results", yeah by 0.9%! That's gotta be within standard deviation, right?

No I'm not jealous.

Also my new PSU is 850w, corsair gold rated.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I hope it's not a PSU thing 'cause I have a 4-5 year old Corsair RMX650 80+ Gold that I'm planning to keep using. I ordered a pair of 8-pin single connector PCIe cables for it since all I had was an 8-pin dual connector.

Well, if I ever manage to get a 3080 (lol) and happen to experience some stability issues in games then I'll pick up a new PSU.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
GN / Buildzoid did a PCB analysis for the FE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THMukcOzB8g

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

AirRaid posted:

mm. i recognize some of these words.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So can I just assume that the FE is still a solid pick if I originally just wanted it for the cooling setup and size?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rolo posted:

So can I just assume that the FE is still a solid pick if I originally just wanted it for the cooling setup and size?

Pretty much, I'd put it behind the Asus TUF which is the leading AIB card in comparison in terms of board design. You won't find many cards at the size it is.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I feel like you guys have to fight to the death now

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rolo posted:

If you want it for it's size then it's your only option.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rolo posted:

It actually looks to have cooling worse than most of the AIBs...somehow. It often will find itself in the mid-70C range, while others are 5-15C lower with similar noise profiles. So if all you care about is cooling setup, no, it's not a great pick. The ASUS TUF is almost strictly superior in both thermals and performance out of the box, and is the same price. So, honestly, there's really not a lot of reason to preference the FE right now unless you really like the look or have plans to liquid cool it or something, or unless it being 15mm shorter than the TUF is the difference between fitting it into your case vs not.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The 3090 FE cooler however is fuckin nuts and has 110mm fans lol

e: I mean say what you want about the 3090 but the 3090FE is borderline tech art. That cooler is... objectively wild.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 27, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DrDork posted:

It actually looks to have cooling worse than most of the AIBs...somehow. It often will find itself in the mid-70C range, while others are 5-15C lower with similar noise profiles. So if all you care about is cooling setup, no, it's not a great pick. The ASUS TUF is almost strictly superior in both thermals and performance out of the box, and is the same price. So, honestly, there's really not a lot of reason to preference the FE right now unless you really like the look or have plans to liquid cool it or something, or unless it being 15mm shorter than the TUF is the difference between fitting it into your case vs not.

My Meshify C mini is fine up to 315mm, it’s the thickness I’m worried about on my Gigabyte B550m DS3H. I feel like 2.7 slots is cutting it close.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It looks like a bunch of 3070 AIBs will have great big triple fan coolers like the 3080s even though they draw like 100 watts less or something. Seems kind of odd honestly. Guess they're going to be over cooled and/or very quiet?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

AirRaid posted:

Excellent. As an EE who has done PCB layout and design this is extremely my poo poo.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rolo posted:

My Meshify C mini is fine up to 315mm, it’s the thickness I’m worried about on my Gigabyte B550m DS3H. I feel like 2.7 slots is cutting it close.

Yeah, if you need a strictly 2-slot deal, the FE is your only choice. Worth measuring, though, because as said, the TUF in some tests was able to beat the FE by ~15C, which is a pretty big difference.

sean10mm posted:

It looks like a bunch of 3070 AIBs will have great big triple fan coolers like the 3080s even though they draw like 100 watts less or something. Seems kind of odd honestly. Guess they're going to be over cooled and/or very quiet?

A bunch of the 2070S's were also triple fans, so they're probably just re-using the base designs they already had. They might not be 3-slot monsters like the 3080's. Or, yeah, they could just end up running pretty cool thanks to over the top HSFs. Gamers win either way, honestly.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 27, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i did ten runs of port royal, each of which reported power limits
1: 11432
2: 11383
3: 11409
4: 11395
5: 11416
6: 11402
7: 11384
8: 11453
9: 11388
10: 11409

i expect the first to score higher as the case has more cool air to work with overall, but this gets us some data for when that pci-e cable arrives.

Taima posted:

I feel like you guys have to fight to the death now
we were testing unigine heaven as it's the one benchmark crashes are reported on. his card wouldn't go past 1950MHz, mine stabilised at 1995 but would sit around 2025 and peak to 2040 before it throttled a bit. i was vrel limited at 1440, power at 4k - so it might just be the card boosting way too high on certain chips

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

Is that really a "somehow?" It's smaller than all the aib cards by a fair amount a 285mm long and only dual slot. Evga has some that are 285, but everyone else is 300mm+ and evgas 285mm models are 2.2 slot+ I believe.

Cooling is very much a "no replacement for displacement" situation.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 3070 FE really isn't going to fare well compared to the AIB 3070s with recycled 3080 coolers is it

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

repiv posted:

The 3070 FE really isn't going to fare well compared to the AIB 3070s with recycled 3080 coolers is it

Yes and no. The 3070 is going to have substantially lower heat load at probably ~230w tgp so you will hit diminishing returns for gently caress off overkill cooling. That said, the law of more surface area = more good will still hold and it will get outperformed by bigger heatsinks in acoustic efficiency.

Unless your case limits you to under 260mm cards and 2 slots in which case it's gonna dunk on those coolers that you can't use because they won't fit.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Is that really a "somehow?" It's smaller than all the aib cards by a fair amount a 285mm long and only dual slot. Evga has some that are 285, but everyone else is 300mm+ and evgas 285mm models are 2.2 slot+ I believe.

Cooling is very much a "no replacement for displacement" situation.

15mm isn't that significant, though--only about 5% of its total length. The decision to stay 2 slot instead of 2.5 or so certainly is hindering it, you're right. Still, considering that it's a massive almost solid block of metal with what should be excellent airflow, and 1/3 of the board being a "flow-through" segment, it is disappointing that it falls so far behind more traditional coolers. I wouldn't have been surprised to find it 5C behind, but 15C is way more than I expected.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I think chip gate is absolutely real.

Because the main 2 companies I trust. EVGA and ASUS both changed designs from cards they showed earlier in the month to what they are showing now.

Now, this might just be because its better for overclocking on this generation, but if that is a thing I want it.

Asus hasn't said poo poo about any of this despite being the only company to make all 6 chips the "fancy way." I honestly think Asus might have figured this out and stayed very quiet about it because 2 weeks is not enough time to explain what happened.

On 9/1 they first showed the strix to youtube with the 6 black chips

They would have to: decide to change all the chips on a card just reveled -> make the cards -> send them to newegg studios -> give them time to make a video ready to be published on release day 9/17.

2 weeks for all that? and make enough TUF cards to sell that use the same new chip layout?

Asus loving knew, they knew on the 9/1 and they have been making TUFs without any black chips for a while. They sent out OC edition's to reviewers in time for 9/17 videos.

Either way its tremendous content to see products changing the same month they are sold.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 27, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

15mm isn't that significant, though--only about 5% of its total length. The decision to stay 2 slot instead of 2.5 or so certainly is hindering it, you're right. Still, considering that it's a massive almost solid block of metal with what should be excellent airflow, and 1/3 of the board being a "flow-through" segment, it is disappointing that it falls so far behind more traditional coolers. I wouldn't have been surprised to find it 5C behind, but 15C is way more than I expected.

When you factor in both the shorter length and lower thickness, it's missing substantial surface area relative to the AIBs. The 3090 cooler is much more competitive with the same design at 3 slot and 313mm long.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
asus lied people died

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

asus lied people died

I mean if I was them I would.

Not a lot of way to separate yourself from other card makers.

If people really did copy them (and didn't test) they just got loving owned.

These TUFs have been in production longer then 2 weeks I bet.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 27, 2020

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anyone know of any updates to when FE is coming back in stock?

Right now I'm on the fence between FE and EVGA. FE looks amazing but EVGA has better CS and warranty. The issue I have is that despite having a completely black case, the thought of having this aesthetic nightmare powering my computer kind of makes me feel gross

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Knot My President! posted:

Right now I'm on the fence between FE and EVGA. FE looks amazing but EVGA has better CS and warranty. The issue I have is that despite having a completely black case, the thought of having this aesthetic nightmare powering my computer kind of makes me feel gross

I mean, the fans of EVGA cards face downwards, so it won't be visible 99% of the time. The shroud color is programmable and EVGA is going to be sending stickers or something for people who don't like the red lip (although you could always DIY it with a sharpie).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The hemorrhoid GPU rules actually

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is tomorrow supposed to be the day Amazon starts to stock 3080s, or Tuesday?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can I buy this dumb card yet or should I check back in a few weeks months?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

kloa posted:

Can I buy this dumb card yet or should I check back in a few weeks months?

If you know how to write an F5 script and are willing to spend the time to monitor Discord you have a shot. Otherwise, sit tight and get comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Knot My President! posted:

Yeah would be good to know. I think there haven't been any restock events, just the 3080 launch and then the 3090 launch, but haven't followed super closely, just glancing at that one Discord every now and then. I've been running a script to refresh the Nvidia official 3080 page (UK edition) for hours at a time but nothing, lol