Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

CaptainSarcastic posted:

While flipping-upside-down-paragliding-down-a-canyon is a bit much, I'd guess it is closer to how I feel about things than a purely pathological recklessness which I think some of the anhedonia discussions tend to imply if not overtly state.

Def on this point; part of why i tracked down one of the studies instead of 'people say;' not one-size-for-all nor is outright recklessness needed. Say what you will on those parachuters up there, them being unskilled isn't one of those things you can claim.

ED: Hell of a snipe, Reese.

Have some top-notch scaffolding.

Shy and Shameless fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
So how much more horsepower does that building have with the :krad: headers?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

RandomBlue posted:

Adrenalin junkies try to get as close to death as they can without dying, then they die.

Sounds like the color infra-black: the color that flashes behind your eyes just after you run head first into a brick wall at full speed, and just before you die.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Someone read a paper about exhaust pulse scavenging, took a very large pull off their vodka bottle and looked at their fume extraction system with a new found purpose.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

xtal posted:

Even if the gliding part is fun I don't see why you'd do it in a canyon full of jagged rocks, its not like the wind feels any different

They're practicing to take out a thermal exhaust port.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Somebody's been playing too much Satisfactory

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

I have a death wish, but I wouldn't want to waste money in those elaborate death courses.

So your death seeking is only outweighed by your frugality. Lucky.

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/s_maxnelchris/status/1309547313233301505

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

old mate in the black hat there was nearly late

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

xtal posted:

Even if the gliding part is fun I don't see why you'd do it in a canyon full of jagged rocks, its not like the wind feels any different

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Are videos of people doing potentially very dangerous stuff outside of workplace environments ok for the thread?
https://i.imgur.com/WrV6V50.mp4

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hempuli posted:

Are videos of people doing potentially very dangerous stuff outside of workplace environments ok for the thread?
https://i.imgur.com/WrV6V50.mp4

All the risk of death of cave diving without the high cost barriers to entry like scuba gear and training!!! Where do I sign!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

30 seconds later the horse jumped back into the same ditch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Noticed the Fork of the forklift his the horse on the rear end as it fell.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m going to link this cause it’s disturbing looking but the couple in the car survived. When you look at the car you’ll say “no loving way...”

https://imgur.com/gallery/CrYhv

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Worth the wait. LMAO

I would never do this but it looks really fun and that was fun to watch.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m going to link this cause it’s disturbing looking but the couple in the car survived. When you look at the car you’ll say “no loving way...”

https://imgur.com/gallery/CrYhv

I did indeed say that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I would never do this but it looks really fun and that was fun to watch.

the less-insane version of speedflying is paragliding, it is very fun and relaxing, once you get past the initial feeling of sitting on a swing hanging from an invisible, very tall, and somehow moving tree.

you can also do speed-flying that is significantly less insane. it's kindof like skiing except you can only safely come to a stop in certain places.

e: in fact some people do it while wearing skis

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 27, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

would say this is probably normal, but I've seen a vid where the glowing iron block flys out and hits a man

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Usually when those videos are posted it’s 2 or 3 guys standing right beside the platform turning the metal while the machine flattens it so this is a step up.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Poor freckles, jumped in the same ditch and died.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

This is why when doing animal rescues like this you a) have the animal blindfolded/hooded so they can't see which keeps them calmer and b) have a vet on hand to drug the animal first so it doesn't do this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

people seem to have forgotten that horse tranquilizers may also be used for tranquilizing horses

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If a horse really horses itself while horse tranqed you can't eat it though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

would say this is probably normal, but I've seen a vid where the glowing iron block flys out and hits a man

Ok so I'm not going to think that someone here knows whats specifically being made, but what the poo poo is going on?
Like they're forging some Iron, or steel, but what would be the end result? Does this piece get sent somewhere to be machined in to product X? Ir does it get cut in to pieces and then further stamped/forged?
I know that "hardened" steel (there are lots of types of hardening) is more difficult to machine, but what about forged steel? Also more difficult? Less difficult than if it had some sort of hardening process done to it?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wesleywillis posted:

Ok so I'm not going to think that someone here knows whats specifically being made, but what the poo poo is going on?
Like they're forging some Iron, or steel, but what would be the end result? Does this piece get sent somewhere to be machined in to product X? Ir does it get cut in to pieces and then further stamped/forged?
I know that "hardened" steel (there are lots of types of hardening) is more difficult to machine, but what about forged steel? Also more difficult? Less difficult than if it had some sort of hardening process done to it?

Forgive me if I'm off on everything. This is a powerhammer, there are all kinds of these devices and they are used to forge huge cast iron blocks into a more desired shape and also to strengthen the iron/steel. It will be cut up or put into a dye and hammered more, or both, and eventually machined into probably some gently caress off huge gears or heavy industrial poo poo. After that it can be hardened by being heated and cooled in a specific way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Usually in these videos they are making some kind of giant pipe flange or similar fitting, used either for fluid-carrying pipes or to connect structural members together for a bridge or something. Yes, the part will be machined to the exact size afterwards.

Here is a video that shows the whole process, along with photos of the machining at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0bbTZrcYMc

There are basically four ways of making something like that:

1) start with a huge square billet of steel and machine the whole thing out
2) cast the object in sand and machine it down to size
3) forge the object from an ingot and machine it down to size.
4) weld several smaller pieces together and machine the joints.

Machining from a billet is extremely slow, wasteful and costly, both in terms of material and tooling.

Sand-casting is effective, but because the metal crystallizes in the final form, cast parts can be brittle. Heat-treating can help somewhat. The main advantage is that it's quick and only uses as much metal as is required.

Forging makes the strongest parts, because by repeatedly hammering the metal and flowing it into shape instead of just freezing it, you work out all the voids and grain boundaries. The crystals align with one another and release all their stresses. You also can start with a lump of metal that's only as big as you need.

Welding several pieces together is effective if you haven't got heavy tooling, but the welds are potential weak points.

Basically, for this type of application forging gives the strongest parts with the best material efficiency. The only real downside is that it requires very large heavy equipment.

Here is a nuclear reactor pressure vessel being forged. A piece this size could not realistically be cast or machined, and a welded/bolted/riveted design would have obvious weak points. Forging is the best technique.

e: re. "hardened" steel -- a whole other can of worms. The final properties of the steel depend on its exact alloy and its heat treatments. It could be hard and brittle, or flexible and tough, or somewhere in between. A flange will be closer to the tough end because you don't want it to fracture when the bridge or pipe shift around. Regardless of the alloy, when it's being forged it will be in a malleable state, and it will cool to an annealed (relatively soft [for steel] and tough) form. If it needs to be hardened for extra wear resistance, they will perform steps like heating and quenching it after the machining is done. If the hardened part has to be re-machined to size, they will grind it afterwards.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 28, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Don't listen to that Sagebrush guy, it's these.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

A White Guy posted:

That excellent safety squint.

One of my buddies recently got into welding. Dude had forgotten about the UV light that is given off by the welder and as a result, had this excellent burn from bandana , around his eyeballs (he was wearing his goggles), to the front and sides of his nose, all around his chin, and down the front of his neck to collar line. A truly excellent sunburn, poor guy looked like he was wearing really misshapen clown prosthetics from all the swelling.

A buddy of mine was studying welding in college years ago. We had these little welding booths for practicing stick welding. He was wearing full face protection as well as heavy gloves like one should.

He forgot about wearing a shirt with sleeves. He spent 2 hours welding while wearing a tank top. I have never seen a sunburn so bad. The funny thing was, he knew exactly why he was an idiot, it just slipped his mind.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

people seem to have forgotten that horse tranquilizers may also be used for tranquilizing horses

Seems like a waste of good horse tranquilizer

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mostlygray posted:

A buddy of mine was studying welding in college years ago. We had these little welding booths for practicing stick welding. He was wearing full face protection as well as heavy gloves like one should.

He forgot about wearing a shirt with sleeves. He spent 2 hours welding while wearing a tank top. I have never seen a sunburn so bad. The funny thing was, he knew exactly why he was an idiot, it just slipped his mind.

I did exactly this with an old Sears stick welder while repairing a radiator support in my car.

I wore a welding mask, gloves...with shorts and a T-shirt. Spent about 10-minutes welding. One of the worst UV burns ever.

It was my first time arc-welding. I had no idea.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've had a few welding sunburns in my day too.

Megabound posted:

Seems like a waste of good horse tranquilizer

"Thats why they call me RED, I'm immune"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hQL_RCke-M

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/aHhdHS3.gifv

Hell of a couple of days at the office.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Memento posted:

Why did it cost so much if it can’t even fly??? What the gently caress?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sagebrush posted:

New thread title imo

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Memento posted:

We built boosters for a reason :rolleyes:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cat Hatter posted:

They have those but the trigger breaks and leaves the saw running.
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1309545049416491009?s=20

poo poo I have one of these, it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SLOSifl posted:

Why did it cost so much if it can’t even fly??? What the gently caress?

It would be even harder to fit the 747 it rides on through that street.