Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The trick is to not wear skin suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

He doesn't mean actual skinsuits, he means the one-piece but still pockets & full zip jobbers.
They're actually a fair bit more comfortable than jersey + bibs because it's like the whole jersey is the bib.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

tylertfb posted:

I'm very happy with my bibs from ww.theblackbibs.com . My brother bought a couple of their jerseys and vest as well and likes them. The 'race' jersey is kind of "club cut" (i.e. a little baggy around the sleeves) while the Pro and Pro Aero jerseys have that nice tight, pro-looking fit.

These look cool, no branding is a big plus. Thanks!

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got some red china bibs that fit great but where almost completely transparent once stretched out, like full view of cock and balls. Maybe ill build up some more confidence in time for the spring :shrug:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

tylertfb posted:

I'm very happy with my bibs from ww.theblackbibs.com . My brother bought a couple of their jerseys and vest as well and likes them. The 'race' jersey is kind of "club cut" (i.e. a little baggy around the sleeves) while the Pro and Pro Aero jerseys have that nice tight, pro-looking fit.

been looking for a new set of bibs that actually fit, ordered these, thanks for the recommendation!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

He doesn't mean actual skinsuits, he means the one-piece but still pockets & full zip jobbers.
They're actually a fair bit more comfortable than jersey + bibs because it's like the whole jersey is the bib.

:hmmyes:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I do not like skinsuits/speed suits. That is all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I don’t like bib straps on my skin so skinsuits are nice because I don’t need to wear a base layer.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I like skinsuits for track and cyclocross.

I never like speedsuits because the zipper on the back is really hard to access when running to the portapotty before a race, but use them despite said frustration.

I do like "san remo" or "warnny" or whatever the gently caress you want to call them that isn't one of the terms that already has a defined meaning suits because they are comfy and fast.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Can’t unzip the speed suit and let it flap around like a cape while you pretend you’re climbing in the alps.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Speaking of amateur racing do you think it will ever exist again, ie next spring, or should I just go full bike packing and call it a day. It's been two years since I actually raced and I geared up for racing this spring but uhh obviously that didn't happen.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

Speaking of amateur racing do you think it will ever exist again, ie next spring, or should I just go full bike packing and call it a day. It's been two years since I actually raced and I geared up for racing this spring but uhh obviously that didn't happen.

Burnaby is looking at cohort-categorized group racing this season: https://www.burnabyvelodrome.ca/2020/09/16/covid-19-phase-3-back-on-track-plan/
Seems more feasible than road, since a 10-15 person field on Burnaby still feels like a real race pack, while a small cohort road race or crit sucks rear end.

I'm still thinking that for outdoor stuff, a TT bike feels like a "good" investment.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

That looks like great fun. If you did the bulk of the climbing already you might as well keep going.

You need to plan for it if you intend to do the last 13km, when you start the climb it can easily be 20-30c (around 800m above sea level). At 3000m it’s usually 0-5c in summer, if there are no clouds.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I like the term roadsuit for the 2in1 stuff like the San Remo. Also I always wear San Remos because of my tube-like physiology.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 24, 2020

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

numberoneposter posted:

There are plenty of idiots running mass start bike races right now. There probably will be continuing into next year too. If you're even slightly prudent though I don't think it'll be safe to race until mid-late next year. The best case outcome is that cross season looks normal...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MacPac posted:

I got some red china bibs that fit great but where almost completely transparent once stretched out, like full view of cock and balls. Maybe ill build up some more confidence in time for the spring :shrug:

What's the problem again

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Got a little lifted, and decided to go for a sunset/evening ride. It’s crazy how quickly it all comes back after 8 years off.

I’m already cornering faster, and, biggest one here: I’m very quickly feeling at home with the bike!

I do still get a little bothered when there’s more than a few cars around me, but I used to ride in rush hour level traffic back in my bike to work days. Hopefully being comfortable around other motorists will come back soon.

I think what I forgot, and maybe found again is to chill the gently caress out and let the bike tell you what’s happening. When man machine work together, it’s time to ride!

Then undo all of it with munchies and beer.

Just so stoked at how it’s all coming back. Like one day on the saddle today could equal like five days of riding when I was learning.

It’s true: you really never do forget how to ride a bike! What you don’t hear is that you actually forget how to ride a bike FAST.

Edit: also, that means cardio, too. My bike is stuck on the granny chainring, and I was still getting winded riding into a headwind. 😔

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 25, 2020

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

VacaGrande posted:

There are plenty of idiots running mass start bike races right now. There probably will be continuing into next year too. If you're even slightly prudent though I don't think it'll be safe to race until mid-late next year. The best case outcome is that cross season looks normal...

We have a special type of idiots that are organizing and running unsanctioned mass start races on open roads. Just because you say nobody is organizing it and nobody is responsible, it does not make it so.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There's going to be a lot of things resembling time trials in the coming year.

I just registered for Lord of the Bikes which is a 3 heat TT. CX, MTB and Road. You get to either transition between bikes between stages or choose one bike for the whole thing. I'm either gonna run all three or just say gently caress it and run my Journeyman on the entire thing. I know that bike can handle the entire course no problem.

I hear the fatbike races are also on this year but it's gonna be all TTs. TBH half the courses have so much single track that's not gonna be much of a problem. The one TT they ran last year the organizers hated but only because they don't know Excel so I'm gonna show them how to do the rankings in a heartbeat once everyone's crossed the line.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvilJoven posted:

I just registered for Lord of the Bikes which is a 3 heat TT. CX, MTB and Road. You get to either transition between bikes between stages or choose one bike for the whole thing. I'm either gonna run all three or just say gently caress it and run my Journeyman on the entire thing. I know that bike can handle the entire course no problem.
Assuming there’s a benefit to running terrain specific bikes, what’s the equalizer for people running one bike? Is it just a separate class?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
that’d be fun, can you swap wheelsets? that’d make things interesting

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I honestly have no idea how it's going to work.

Edit: I read the race bible. The actual course layout is secret until the day of. You get a map at the beginning of each section and there's a plaque with a word to have to remember somewhere deep in the section and give to the people handling the start timing for the next stage. Bike changes are optional but theres no different category for people who only use one bike.

Times are for fun and bragging rights only, prizing is by random draw.

Costumes are encouraged but not mandatory.

This is gonna be hilarious.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 25, 2020

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

We have a special type of idiots that are organizing and running unsanctioned mass start races on open roads. Just because you say nobody is organizing it and nobody is responsible, it does not make it so.

Charon should know better and it sucks that he gets zero pushback. I guess a 200 person Como Street race with cash payouts is just going to be a thing.

I love my trash panda speedsuit/2 in 1. Super comfortable. It's like going from shorts to bibs.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 25, 2020

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

How do you guys normally size skinsuits and road-suits?

I wear a small aero-fit jersey, but large to extra large bibs. I never know which direction to go.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

Bikepacking is where it's at. The sportier bikes can also double as a gravel bike for long distance gravel events, which seem to be where it's at until this is sorted. Small numbers of racers spread out over a long distance etc. e.g. Merritt Crown, which is happening this saturday: [https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-merritt-crown-2020-tickets-80157087005

First time doing a mountain bike race of any sort. Wish me luck!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

moctopus posted:

How do you guys normally size skinsuits and road-suits?

I wear a small aero-fit jersey, but large to extra large bibs. I never know which direction to go.

With some you can purchase split sizing. That's what I do for my team kit at least.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

bicievino posted:

With some you can purchase split sizing. That's what I do for my team kit at least.

Oh hell yeah that rules. Thanks!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dolemite posted:

Got a little lifted, and decided to go for a sunset/evening ride. It’s crazy how quickly it all comes back after 8 years off.

I’m already cornering faster, and, biggest one here: I’m very quickly feeling at home with the bike!

I do still get a little bothered when there’s more than a few cars around me, but I used to ride in rush hour level traffic back in my bike to work days. Hopefully being comfortable around other motorists will come back soon.

I think what I forgot, and maybe found again is to chill the gently caress out and let the bike tell you what’s happening. When man machine work together, it’s time to ride!

Then undo all of it with munchies and beer.

Just so stoked at how it’s all coming back. Like one day on the saddle today could equal like five days of riding when I was learning.

It’s true: you really never do forget how to ride a bike! What you don’t hear is that you actually forget how to ride a bike FAST.

Edit: also, that means cardio, too. My bike is stuck on the granny chainring, and I was still getting winded riding into a headwind. 😔

Nice. In my experience cardio comes pretty quick. Only bummer is the days are getting shorter and colder. But keep at it and the cardio will come. If you want to try and speed it up find a nice hill nearby and just climb/descend till you're sick of it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I rode a little bike around a big island yesterday and climbed a giant gently caress off of a hill, it was v good.

51mi and 6200ft of climbing.

At the top of the climb, 3500ft in 7mi
https://www.strava.com/segments/377725?filter=overall

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Coredump posted:

Nice. In my experience cardio comes pretty quick. Only bummer is the days are getting shorter and colder. But keep at it and the cardio will come. If you want to try and speed it up find a nice hill nearby and just climb/descend till you're sick of it.

Nice to hear! Once I get the bike properly fixed up, I’ll definitely be riding more often!

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Its 9a and I just rode 20mi.
Am I doing it right??

e: I'm not doing bbcode right, ugh
https://imgur.com/a/kRCzafx.png

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 26, 2020

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Anza Borrego posted:

Its 9a and I just rode 20mi.
Am I doing it right??

e: I'm not doing bbcode right, ugh
https://imgur.com/a/kRCzafx.png

looks pretty good to me

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Did 35 miles today. It felt great. Mostly flat on account of Houston being flat, but it turns out cycling is fun.

616 ft of elevation gain over 35 miles!

Tomorrow is 10 miles with the trailer and kiddo day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Soma announced that they’re carrying S-Ride, one of those Chinese brands that clones existing groupsets.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop?search=s-ride

Apparently, the staff has been happy using them for a few years on beater bikes.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I rode 110.5 miles this week. My taint hurts.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Took the Salsa out on its real inaugural journey today and hoo boy. Rode the San Gabriel river bike trail in socal with my friend and a few of his friends who are all experienced cyclists.

This distance is way way outside my comfort zone but I'm pretty stoked I was able to complete it!

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Oh yeah I forgot to show off in the thread my new shoes I finished last week:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They're super cool and seriously impressive for a bit of home engineering especially as you are apparently a duck :duckie:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Nice crocs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

I hate this.