Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

RadioPassive posted:

I have a UV-82HP, similar specs to the BF-F8HP but a bit older I think? Works great. I’m in the US though, dunno what Canadian availability is like.

Yeah, that's my other choice at this point. Similarly hard to find up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hey neat I passed my technician exam today :toot:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

Hey neat I passed my technician exam today :toot:

Nice! What are your plans? If it's DMR we got you covered no matter where you are.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I just passed mine last week! I picked up a Yaesu FT-70D to play around with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Armacham posted:

I just passed mine last week! I picked up a Yaesu FT-70D to play around with.

Very nice. But also, if you want to get into DMR........we can all talk as techs on DMR. I believe the goon written description is "it's like a discord chat but more complicated"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oh awesome, my plans are almost exclusively DMR/D-star/echolink! I got my AMBE3000 dongle before I even took my test; the first thing I do once I get my callsign is gonna be to register for the digital networks (if there's links I should read, please hit me with em!)

I don't know enough to prefer one digital format over another, but if there's stuff going on over DMR, I'm there!

I'm also interested in sending TV/image signals (on whatever frequency or network, SS or FS I'm not picky) cause that's awesome. And I want to build a transceiver, because I like soldering and that's cool. I'm not super interested in things that require big antennas because given my living situation, that would just be setting myself up for dissatisfaction.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yeah I'm definitely interested in doing some of the digital radio stuff. The handheld is mostly for communication with some mutual aid orgs I am a part of.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Are we lowly GMRS licensees that just paid $70 and didn't take a test allowed in here? I have questions about protocol.

(If so, I'm WRJL415)

Also, lol, my father was an Army radioman in Vietnam, when he got home he just got the most basic license for CB (back when it required a license) when he got a job as a truck driver, because it was cheapest. Even though he could've got the highest-level HAM license.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 27, 2020

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
For DMR you will need a DMR ID, which you can get from http://radioid.net/ which will require some documents to get verified; I don't remember what all but I think it's just the original copy of your license which you'll receive from the FCC. This step can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

Once you get your DMR ID, you'll want to sign up for https://brandmeister.network/?page=register which provides access into the DMR network.

Then once you have that, you're good to go. Probably a good idea to hop on our discord so we can help you get everything setup. We hold a net on DMR TG 3163563 every Tue 8PM PT and Fri 6PM PT (subject to change), and we're always happy to have new people running netop.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Are we lowly GMRS licensees that just paid $70 and didn't take a test allowed in here? I have questions about protocol.

(If so, I'm WRJL415)

Also, lol, my father was an Army radioman in Vietnam, when he got home he just got the most basic license for CB (back when it required a license) when he got a job as a truck driver, because it was cheapest. Even though he could've got the highest-level HAM license.

I say why not, I have both a ham and GMRS license. Family isn’t interested in ham, so having GMRS with higher power and repeater access is a plus.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Do you HAVE to have an “ID”? If so, why? Is it to access gateways and the like?

Can one just key up on DMR simplex with their callsign and that’s fine?

Edit: also is your callsign embedded in the outgoing signal a requirement (for whatever country folk are in - I’m UK)? I’ve seen people talk about that too.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I don't think there's any requirement anywhere to have a specific DMR ID for a simplex transmission, you'd obviously have to ID yourself like any other transmission.
Most traffic is on the network systems and they require an ID which is associated with a callsign.

Some radios will transmit a short ID string with every PTT - this feature is relatively new (IIRC added in a 2012 revision of the spec) and optional. I don't know if any of the low cost radios have that feature.
Hyteras with a relatively new firmware support this feature (and will display it when receiving a signal).
Motorolas don't support this (or didn't as of 2019 at least).

The brandmeister network will add text for you when going through the repeater network if you enable that option in the self care page.

E: the feature is called Talker Alias

longview fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 27, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
DMR is a reappropriated commercial system so the concept of 'radio IDs' comes from there. over in cop land the tech room would set your radio id to UNIT 37 HANDHELD or something like that; over here you use your callsign.

you can just make one up if you just want to chat simplex with a buddy but if you get on Brandmeister or whatever with a fake/made up ID you're going to piss people off and might get banned under that ID.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks, that all makes sense.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

drunk mutt posted:

I was under the impression that 2m was widely used for local emergency type of situations? I would imagine if you're the target of an SNR and have even a UV you'd be better off than not having it, yeah? Seems like plugging in the 145 whatever freq might be a good idea, let me do that now haha.

Edit: Does look like there are freqs in other bands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_distress_frequency
Oh for sure, if you're the target of a rescue op any radio is definitely better than none. I was just considering the scenario Outrail mentioned where you'd be trying to make the distress call from the Baofeng. If no one's within range listening on that frequency it doesn't really help. If someone's already looking for you in the general area then definitely anything that can transmit on a known calling or emergency frequency will likely be very useful.

Outrail posted:

BC switched over to a new system that all the forestry roads use for haul trucks a few years ago:
https://www.westcoastplacer.com/program-your-radio-for-bcs-backroads/
They're required to announce direction and km markers as standard practice.
Aha, ok then that should work fine.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

OK, I have my AMBE3000 and my DMR ID, and I registered for D-Star.

Now, is there any OSX software that'll let me connect to brandmeister? I know there's EchoHAM for Echolink and Buster for D-Star, but I can't figure out anything other than running BlueDV in a VM for DMR (this isn't really possible because my laptop is rather old and does not really have the space for a Windows install). Any tips? I have a linux server that I can install software on, but actually using it as a workstation is a non-starter because as it's headless and I want it to stay that way.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

CapnBry posted:

Can someone tell me if what I've got here is actually present or is some sort of harmonic artifact that comes from using a cheap SDR radio?

It is some Spanish-language shortwave radio stations that come in incredibly well here in Tampa, but scrolling around I hear the same broadcast at a lot of places across many bands, and sometimes coming in right in the middle of my 20m (which is the same broadcast as what is just above 40m). I'm contemplating buying a more expensive SDR like an RSP1A or maybe cheap out and get an MSI.SDR, but don't know if it will eliminate receiving this in a place where I don't think it actually is. Right now I am getting it on 7.33500MHz, 7.365000MHz, 14.069800MHz, 14.100000MHz, 14.13000MHz, all the exact same stream.

I think Radio Havana might be your culprit. They always used to transmit on a lot of frequencies simultaneously and they're pretty much on your doorstep.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Congrats, you received Radio Marti, a pro-capitalist/American propaganda station that we fireball blast all over Cuba!

Only 7335 or 7365 are real transmitters though. The ones up on 14mhz are definitely images or phantom signals your SDR is picking up.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I’ve been “studying” for too long now and need to schedule a test. Has anyone here done a technician exam online or can recommend an org?

Is there anyone that’s currently doing the pass tech -> take general in one sitting thing online?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I did that a few months ago.

HamExam.org to study

https://hamstudy.org/sessions to schedule an exam

I just chose a date that was convenient for me, with a club that was local to me at the time, but I hear people are just scheduling them wherever, since it's all remote anyway.

They are very stringent about inspecting your examination area for outside materials during the exam. Most people recommend using a laptop in your bathroom since that'll be the easiest room to make clearly empty for the examiners to see.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the milk machine posted:

Has anyone here done a technician exam online or can recommend an org?

Is there anyone that’s currently doing the pass tech -> take general in one sitting thing online?

I just did that. I took the one administered by AA7HW. They asked if I wanted to go for my general, but I didn't attempt it. Pretty much all tests will have the "keep going" option since they all use the same testing site.

There's no need to use a laptop in the bathroom if you can guarantee that no one will come into the room. You just show off the room with the webcam, do a 360 with it, show your desk, and then take the test. If somebody comes in the room, it invalidates the test. I'm married with a four year old and have my desk in the living room but was still able to get 20 minutes to take the test without having to hide in the bathroom lol. The room doesn't have to be empty by any stretch- you just have to take papers and random electronics and poo poo off your desk.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 30, 2020

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Just passed tech a few minutes ago, with 34/35. Monday or Tuesday I'll finally be able to use the UV-5R I've had sitting around.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
Is there a multi-band CW QRP rig to be had for less than 200$? The closest I've found to what I want is the MTR3 but it's $300 (acceptable) and always out of stock everywhere. I got into amateur radio for CW and got very proficient over the course of a year, but have yet to buy a transceiver. I ordered a pixie kit but I think my soldering skills weren't up to par because it doesn't work -_-

I was thinking about the MFJ QRP cub but ideally I'd like a display to show the frequency I'm on. Also looked into the QRP labs QCX but I am hesitant to buy a kit that might not work for that price - I only have the most basic tools and no mentor to guide me through a build.

Any ideas?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Big_Gulps_Huh posted:

Is there a multi-band CW QRP rig to be had for less than 200$? The closest I've found to what I want is the MTR3 but it's $300 (acceptable) and always out of stock everywhere. I got into amateur radio for CW and got very proficient over the course of a year, but have yet to buy a transceiver. I ordered a pixie kit but I think my soldering skills weren't up to par because it doesn't work -_-

I was thinking about the MFJ QRP cub but ideally I'd like a display to show the frequency I'm on. Also looked into the QRP labs QCX but I am hesitant to buy a kit that might not work for that price - I only have the most basic tools and no mentor to guide me through a build.

Any ideas?

I built a QCX last winter and had a blast. The QCX+ has way more room and shouldn't be too bad as long as you're careful about it and check your connections.

Also the QCX mini is due out eventually with quite a bit less soldering involved.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

manero posted:

I built a QCX last winter and had a blast. The QCX+ has way more room and shouldn't be too bad as long as you're careful about it and check your connections.

Also the QCX mini is due out eventually with quite a bit less soldering involved.

I just built a 20m QCX+ and can confirm it was fun. Go check out the instructions online-- they are the most comprehensive, detailed, easy-to-follow I've ever seen. There's also a fairly friendly online community that will help troubleshoot, and diagnostic tools are built into the radio.

They are mono band, but at ~$50 for the kit you could buy 4 with your budget. It's a good performing radio too.

If you're interested in portable though, definitely wait for the QCX mini in about a month. Still the same software and still 5w output, but literally fits in your pocket.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Silly question perhaps, but I have no SWR meter or antenna analyser, but I’d like to make sure I’m pulling my telescopic antenna out to the correct width (it goes longer than 2m half-wave so I need to stop before the end).

If I use an SDR stick on the same frequency to monitor as I extend and retract the antenna, seeing when the received power is at its greatest, is this a decent approximation?

Also, do you start measuring from where the loading coil stops when someone says “extend to x inches”?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
What antenna are you working with?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

It was looking like my nice audio interface/condenser mic setup wasn't going to work in echoham, and i was very disappointed. turns out, switching the mic from input 2 to input 1 got things to start functioning.

still trying to figure out how to get on dmr/brandmeister with a mac and no radio without spending a bunch of money

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

What antenna are you working with?

On the SDR? Any old poo poo I have available, probably some 1/4 Diamond rubber duck type. Is a directional one better?

The telescopic I’m testing I bought fifteen years ago and have no idea on who made it. It extends to about 126 cm so I shoot for 95-100cms when I use it on my HT on 2m. There’s a big fat bit on the bottom that I assume is the matching network or whatever.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 4, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Gotcha. It might be a half wave, or might be set up for a 5/8 wave. They made both kinds. However the half waves were a little more popular. The SDR is likely going to get its front end maxed out with any signal you transmit within a quarter mile, so I'd just say to set the whip part at about 38" for 2 meters and go hogge wilde. So, you're right about on the mark. It's not like you're going to lose 20 dB of performance if it's a few cm off.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Excellent, I’ll not worry too much then.

When I set the HT to 50 milliwatt *with no antenna attached* and hit the PTT the entire visible 2MHz of SDR bandwidth on screen lit up. :aaa:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I literally run my DMR hotspot at 1 milliwatt and have a 50 ohm 1/4 watt resistor jammed directly into the SMA antenna jack, and it still overloads my HT when i'm 30 feet away. Near field RF is several orders of magnitude more than a decent radio usually sees.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Achmed Jones posted:

still trying to figure out how to get on dmr/brandmeister with a mac and no radio without spending a bunch of money

Download BlueStacks and install DVSwitch. Which you'll need a bridge to connect to; if you just want to test it out hit me up on Discord and we can get a bridge spun up and you can test, or if you have Docker installed I put together https://github.com/hsoj/hamenv to simplify getting everything spun up.

The gist is you use the mobile app to connect to the bridge, which passes traffic to an md380 emulator container to decode/encode the audio and then out to the BM network.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Here's a few more stupid questions:

* Can I put that 1/2 or 5/8 wave telescopic on the end of a length of coax and get it up high? Presumably yes if it's 1/2 wave, no if it's 5/8 wave due to the lack of a ground plane?

* (Assuming the above is a bad idea) If I use a fiberglass pole to get something like a flowerpot antenna up high while already on top of a mountain, is that going to be any significantly better than said telescopic attached directly to the HT? I'm often amused by how much sitting down vs standing up matters, so I assume any amount of height will work better for VHF line of sight signals? But standing up vs say a 4-5 metre pole? Hmm...

Essentially it's whether it's worth the extra weight to actually make my own antenna and use it in anger like that. I don't drive so I don't do mobile use, and I live in a ground-floor flat so I can't really improve that with any antenna really. This is just to help me with portable/hiking use.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 5, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
look into the rollup j-poles. they're super compact and though theyre not self-supporting you can hang them from a tree, tie them to a stick, whatever. Extremely popular for portable and sota stuff. Talked to a fella on a mountaintop this weekend who was using one with an icom 705

the whip you have is best used attached to an HT. you could finagle a base and ground plane for it but it's not built for that kind of duty

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drunk mutt posted:

Download BlueStacks and install DVSwitch. Which you'll need a bridge to connect to; if you just want to test it out hit me up on Discord and we can get a bridge spun up and you can test, or if you have Docker installed I put together https://github.com/hsoj/hamenv to simplify getting everything spun up.

The gist is you use the mobile app to connect to the bridge, which passes traffic to an md380 emulator container to decode/encode the audio and then out to the BM network.

Awesome, thank you! I'll start messing with this as I'm able!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

RadioPassive posted:

I did that a few months ago.

HamExam.org to study

https://hamstudy.org/sessions to schedule an exam

I just chose a date that was convenient for me, with a club that was local to me at the time, but I hear people are just scheduling them wherever, since it's all remote anyway.

They are very stringent about inspecting your examination area for outside materials during the exam. Most people recommend using a laptop in your bathroom since that'll be the easiest room to make clearly empty for the examiners to see.

It's almost weirdly strict. When I took mine in August, they made me take everything off my desk, including my mousepad, which raised concerns because it had LEDs in it (I'm gamer trash in my desktop aesthetic). They specifically say you're not even allowed to have a beverage or snack near you when you're taking it.

Super make sure that you pay attention to the requirements; with Covid, they're doing more tests with fewer participants to try to pile people into the hobby.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I setup an air mattress and a bedsheet as walls in an empty corner of my apartment to make a little testing booth. I used a folding steel chair and a TV stand for my laptop, with a USB webcam. They asked to see the underside of my chair and asked for closeups of the completely white ceiling.

After I showed them my passport via webcam, they asked that it be removed from the booth.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Laptop in the bathroom. Spun my phone around then leaned it on the countertop. In and done in 10 minutes. It was great.

Why would you need a snack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Neito posted:

They specifically say you're not even allowed to have a beverage or snack near you when you're taking it. .

This must be a req for whatever VEC you used, not the FCC. Mine was totally fine with me drinking coffee the whole time (could've just been that my mug wasn't suspicious or whatever though?). I couldn't get up to get more or w/e, but they were all very reasonable IMO. Strict of course, but i never felt that their requirements were dumb (also I used to teach so I know how hardcore people will try to cheat, though)

I guess the best advice is just what you said: read the instructions carefully!