Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed.

The Striker remains my favorite ship in second edition.

When I was coming back to 2.0 I forgot to check my existing stock and ended up with 6 strikers. Great, what will I ever do with that 6th one?

Thank you point changes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ugly John posted:

The TIE Striker, Reaper, and the YT-2400 all appeared in the movies pretty much as long as the TIE Bomber did (all it really did was bomb an asteroid)

Y'know striker is a good point and I do kind of like the way they look. What's the reaper? And remind me where YT 2400 was (special edition maybe)?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SuperKlaus posted:

Y'know striker is a good point and I do kind of like the way they look. What's the reaper? And remind me where YT 2400 was (special edition maybe)?

Reaper is the bigger, crew-transporting Striker. It's seen real quickly on Scarif

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm pretty sure the YT-2400 is in the final battle of RoS where there's roughly 1000 Resistance and friends ships in that one scene. Somewhere behind the Ghost and Shadow Caster and other previously Legends-only ships.

The last 2 "Galaxies" events that Gold Squadron has been hosting have had Nantex-swarm vs Nantex-swarm as their final. It's pretty uninteresting, but the meta as a whole sure seems pretty good if you can somehow ignore that 1 ship (you can't, but, you know). It's more varied than the end of 1.0 at least. Here's the lists if anyone's curious. Someone tell me what to run in 2 weeks at their Crait (Eastern US time) event.
https://tabletop.to/worlds-qualifier-concord-dawn-aestutc-10/

canyonero fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 21, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

I'm pretty sure the YT-2400 is in the final battle of RoS where there's roughly 1000 Resistance and friends ships in that one scene. Somewhere behind the Ghost and Shadow Caster and other previously Legends-only ships.

The last 2 "Galaxies" events that Gold Squadron has been hosting have had Nantex-swarm vs Nantex-swarm as their final. It's pretty uninteresting, but the meta as a whole sure seems pretty good if you can somehow ignore that 1 ship (you can't, but, you know). It's more varied than the end of 1.0 at least. Here's the lists if anyone's curious. Someone tell me what to run in 2 weeks at their Crait (Eastern US time) event.
https://tabletop.to/worlds-qualifier-concord-dawn-aestutc-10/

In a purely meta sense, we're right at that cusp where people are starting to dogpile on the thing that beats the current boogeyman.

Nantex are the boogeyman.

You can do well against them with ships of i5 or higher so you can initiative kill them. Rey/ZiZi/Tallie seems to be doing OK. Old-school triple aces (Vader/Soontir/Whatever) or FO version (Holo/Kylo/X). Also Boba + X.

I would expect to see the top cut at the next major event (whatever that is, is that what you're going to?) to be half Nantex and half I5+ aces.

I'm not sure what beats both, but if you figure it out: take that. Probably a shitload of Ion Y-Wings with proton bombs. Maybe 3 with Ion Cannon/Proton and two with Plasma Torp/Seismic? Does that fit? You could joust the Aces and kite the Nantexes with something like that. Plasma Torps help a lot with Boba, too.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah I'm in the next one in 2 weeks. It's sold out, so nearly double the number of players than this past weekend (130 vs 240ish). I'll probably bring something simple like double tap Dash + Chopper or whatever.

Funny you mention 5Y. This got was #14 in Swiss and got into the top 8. Likely beaten by Nantex: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galact...W5WW&sn=5Y&obs=

I'm curious about this 4 Wookie + AP5 list. He supposedly beat 4 Nantex lists on his way to the semifinal, only to lose to the eventual winner: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z60XWWY60XWWY60XWWY60XWWY72XWWWW&sn=AP5%20Wookies&obs=gascloud1,gascloud2,gascloud3. His loss was on stream. I just don't see how he can trade with Nantex that can easily line up those bullseyes.

canyonero fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 21, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

canyoneer posted:

Don't sleep on the TIE Striker. They do appear in Rogue One and they're an absolute blast to play. GOTTA GO FAST

I haven't played in ages but it still owns

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I’m in an upcoming anthology of stories about Empire Strikes Back, and since they’re presumably all full canon I was amused to see that another author not only has a story about Howlrunner but made her a big lesbian. Our tiny plastic spaceships have sex lives

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I’m in an upcoming anthology of stories about Empire Strikes Back, and since they’re presumably all full canon I was amused to see that another author not only has a story about Howlrunner but made her a big lesbian. Our tiny plastic spaceships have sex lives

Well, I wasn't going to buy that book, but now I definitely am.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Heralds of Hope (T70/RZ2 AWing expansion) preview
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/9/23/fight-to-the-finish/

I think I really need this expansion. I absolutely love both of those ships and there's some crazy stuff in there.

Overdrive Thruster forces you to roll or boost (or SLAM) with a template one speed higher than normal. That's going to make T70s crazy arc dodgers. Combine with New Temmin Wexley to open those S-Foils after rolling.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Why does Resistance get all the A-Wing support and why haven't they brought back my good buddy Tycho from 1E yet. My big stressed baby :sigh:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Shame Boy posted:

Why does Resistance get all the A-Wing support and why haven't they brought back my good buddy Tycho from 1E yet. My big stressed baby :sigh:

I'd love to see some Rebel A-Wing love, too, but I think this is a faction identity thing.

The A-Wing is very much an odd-man-out in the faction. Other than the rebel TIE, there's not really anything in the faction that works well with A-Wings. It's inherently a ship that wants to Go Fast in a faction of ships that want to Go Slow And Support Each Other. You either have to mass the A-Wings (and they're not good at it), or they are hard to keep near the relatively slow Rebel ships (due to their speed).

There are individual exceptions, like putting in an A-Wing with a large-base boost-capable ship (Han/Jake), but mostly...they just don't fit well with the faction.

Compare to the Resistance side, which is full of ships that want to operate in loose formations (or entirely solo), with abilities that support that sort of play style.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I'm not a S&V player and I'm kind of put off that apparently the Empire can't field Slave I any more. Is there a rule that lets S&V ships hire out to the other factions? It would be thematic. I know I can simply play whatever I want at my home table (and I will) but I'm curious for official support.

Hey ConfusedUs a new player to 2e who's dealing with the explosion in official factions wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on what each faction's gameplay identity is :)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

So I'm not a S&V player and I'm kind of put off that apparently the Empire can't field Slave I any more. Is there a rule that lets S&V ships hire out to the other factions? It would be thematic. I know I can simply play whatever I want at my home table (and I will) but I'm curious for official support.

Hey ConfusedUs a new player to 2e who's dealing with the explosion in official factions wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on what each faction's gameplay identity is :)

Nothing allows you to slot in scum ships to other factions for official games. But at home or with friends obv just play spaceships however you want. If you like the idea of the Slave 1 flying alongside a mini swarm of expendable grunts Jango is coming out for CIS soon and that will sorta have the same feel.

Faction identity largely went out the window in 2e. With 7 factions each one is basically sharing stuff that made the 3 original factions unique in 1e. (Holo feels very scummy for example but hes a FO ace. Ect)

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 23, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My rough take on faction identity is this

Rebel: beefy ships that can take and give a pounding, but are slow. Lotta support abilities around.
Emp: Swarms, and Aces in support. You either have way too many ships, or a couple expensive fast dodgy ones that explode if looked at funny
Scum: You know the rules? gently caress EM
Resistance: Elite pilots. Not aces per se because taht implies arc dodgery. Also Heroic.
F/O: Um, I guess Emp but more survivable.
Republic: Beef, swarm, Force Aces.
Seps: DROIDS. BEEP BOOP DROID. OR BUGS. SWARM. DROWN YOUR ENEMY IN BODIES.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SuperKlaus posted:

The best way to get a feel for faction identities is to look at their faction-locked Talent upgrades.

Rebels have Selfless, an upgrade that lets them take damage for each other. Most of their ships are healthy, somewhat slow, and easy to keep in formations. Their abilities tend to boost or protect their allies.

Resistance is Heroic. They have lots of Big drat Heroes that, unlike the Imperials, tend to be better when their allies are somewhat nearby. (if Rebels are "I make my allies better," Resistance is "my allies make me better.")

The Republic is Dedicated. They're all about powerful heroes, mostly Jedi, supported in various ways by others.

Imperials are all about being Ruthless. They have lots of cannon fodder ships (TIE fighters) lead by powerful crew or pilots. The faction has lots of "aces", powerful individual pilots who don't need support from their friends, but are happy to have something--anything--draw fire away because they're super fragile.

First Order is Fanatical with a Proud Tradition. Basically they're the YOU DARE? YOU DARE STRIKE ME? ME?! faction. They tend to get stronger when hurt. Lots of standalone aces and some weird synergies that happen when they or others take damage. Their ships tend to be souped-up versions of Imperial ships.

Separatists are Treacherous. They're absolutely willing and able to sacrifice their own for a tactical advantage. In many ways, they are the Empire, if the Empire cared even less about its cannon fodder. Droids are 100% expendable and best in large numbers.

Scum is Fearless. Chunky, scrappy ships that are good in a fight. Lots of dirty tricks mean that they are often at their strongest doing things that would be dangerous for other factions. Take the Fang Fighter. Every other shieldless 4hp ship in the game is terrified of trading fire at Range 1. Fangs are at their best when doing so.

Faction identities are "soft" in the sense that there are plenty of exceptions. Most factions also have at least one secondary theme (Rebels have Big Independent Ships like the Falcon, for example), but these usually aren't as fleshed out as the others.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

New points are up in teh app.

Backtoid - 34
DGS-046 - 35
Genosian Prototype - 35
Seperatist Predator - 36

Onderon Oppressor - 40
DGS-285 - 42

212th - 51
Hound - 52
Warthog - 54

Hawk - 55

oooof, the Laat's are pricy.

EDIT: It was a mistaken leak, so take it all witha grain of salt.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 23, 2020

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
The PDFs are live too: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

On the other hand, 51 points for the cheap LAAT means you can't run 4 of them, which I suspect was the point.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Someone explain to me how the Backwards Tailslide is not complete trash. Yeah, you can barrel roll/boost through obstacles (a bit restrictive, but ok) but don't actually ignore the obstacles otherwise. So you either try to makes sikk plays doing tiny 1-base moves around the three tiny gas clouds you took and were likely ditched to corners by your opponent or just keep eating rocks?

It's like a really, really bad collision detector and already you barely ever see the detector.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
Yeah, I was really excited when I first saw the card, but then it sank in how it really works. I think it's intended to be paired with Overdrive Thruster. The speed two template makes actually crossing the obstacle much easier, and with it I can see some good disengage potential. Without it though (and sadly, Rebels can't take Overdrive Thruster) I don't think it has much of a use case.

As an aside, the upgrade slots on the HMP are really interesting. The Tac Relay being an option on any of them is certainly a surprise, but the one that caught me really off guard was the crew slot. The Onderon Oppressor not being able to take cannons after they specifically called out how it works with Synced Laser Cannons in the article is too bad, but hashtag FFG I guess.

Derlix fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 24, 2020

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Someone explain to me how the Backwards Tailslide is not complete trash. Yeah, you can barrel roll/boost through obstacles (a bit restrictive, but ok) but don't actually ignore the obstacles otherwise. So you either try to makes sikk plays doing tiny 1-base moves around the three tiny gas clouds you took and were likely ditched to corners by your opponent or just keep eating rocks?

It's like a really, really bad collision detector and already you barely ever see the detector.

My guess is it's meant to go with Overdrive Thruster so it's a 2-speed barrel roll/boost rather than a 1. That opens things up a little more, in some situations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

Most people just bring gas clouds now unless they play dash or droid swarm. Boosting through a gas cloud and getting 1) an evade and 2) the cloud effect itself on defense is a pretty good trade when you're trying to bug out and avoid damage. It's better than just sitting there and taking a focus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Played two games on TTS tonight with the LAAT. I like it alot. It's a total fire magnet sure but at the same time, have some heavy hitters and the enemy just evaporates.

My list atm is
Hound* with ghost company and MMP
3X 7th squad vets with dedicated

(* yes i know his ability doesn't work on the ARC. However since he is non-limited dedicated does work on him and therefore it's worth the 1 point).

Maybe i'll try hound with a dedicated torrent squad

Edit: ever seen a ghost evaporate in one round of shooting? I have. It's glorious

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 25, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

In first edition I erased a ghost in one round with Ketsu Bossk

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got into this game and finally wrapped my head around the rules, running an Empire fleet which is stupid fun with my half a dozen different TIE variants. Here's my collection so far:

-5x TIE Fighters
-2x TIE Advanced
-3x TIE Interceptors
-1x TIE Phantom
-1x TIE Punisher/Interdictor
-1x Lambda Shuttle
-1x VT-49 Devastator

What's the best/dumbest/spammiest lists for this inventory? I'm also crossing my fingers on getting an Imperial Raider for $50 from a lucky eBay bid, but I don't have high hopes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Armada compatible with X-Wing, or are they two completely separate game systems

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Two incredibly separate systems. They do not play the same at all. Armada is capital ship warfare.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They pretty much gave up on Armada, didn’t they? I never got a chance to play it, sadly.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

They're working a big Clone Wars release for Armada but yeah, the content is very little.

Shame though, it's a good system, it does have a few groups playing virtually now though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Just got into this game and finally wrapped my head around the rules, running an Empire fleet which is stupid fun with my half a dozen different TIE variants. Here's my collection so far:

-5x TIE Fighters
-2x TIE Advanced
-3x TIE Interceptors
-1x TIE Phantom
-1x TIE Punisher/Interdictor
-1x Lambda Shuttle
-1x VT-49 Devastator

What's the best/dumbest/spammiest lists for this inventory? I'm also crossing my fingers on getting an Imperial Raider for $50 from a lucky eBay bid, but I don't have high hopes.

Have fun! I know I did :getin:

quote:

(25) Black Squadron Ace [TIE/ln Fighter]
(3) Intimidation

(3) Intimidation

(3) Intimidation

(3) Intimidation

(36) Saber Squadron Ace [TIE/in Interceptor]
(6) Outmaneuver

(36) Saber Squadron Ace [TIE/in Interceptor]
(6) Outmaneuver

Total points: 196

You could fit in another TIE Fighter if you dropped all the pilot talents :twisted:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
My brain was having a hard time seeing the LAAT as the thing from the finale of Episode 2 and I realize it's because the mini doesn't have the clone trooper bubble turrets. I suppose those would have been a tough modeling job but I'm still kind of bummed.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I think they retract behind the troop bay doors while in space, so win-win(-lose)?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

soulfulspinster posted:

They're working a big Clone Wars release for Armada but yeah, the content is very little.

Shame though, it's a good system, it does have a few groups playing virtually now though.

Which actually makes me incredibly sad/frustrated. Like I'm already frustrated that there are 7 factions for x-wing and resources are spread across all of them. Armada already doesn't get much love, and now you're gonna double the factions for it and now it'll take loving forever for there to be much addition to each faction.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OniPanda posted:

Which actually makes me incredibly sad/frustrated. Like I'm already frustrated that there are 7 factions for x-wing and resources are spread across all of them. Armada already doesn't get much love, and now you're gonna double the factions for it and now it'll take loving forever for there to be much addition to each faction.

I'm not sure I understand why you're frustrated with the factions in X-Wing? What do you mean "resources are spread across all of them?"

Are you talking about the number of new releases per faction? If so, you should really think of the game has having 4 "active" factions that are constantly under development.

Rebel and Empire are "complete" factions. Nearly every canon ship is already in them. (Honestly I'm struggling to think of anything that they lack that exists in an official source.) Same for scum, although they've had a couple more releases than the other two in second edition because they're the "if it doesn't fit in one of the other factions, put it here" faction.

And even these "complete" factions got love in the card packs that came out just before the pandemic.

That leaves the 2 prequel and 2 sequel factions. They get most of the love because, frankly, there exists stuff for FFG to add.

FFG has done an absolutely amazing job of supporting second edition. We are getting a new wave about every 3-4 months, twice-yearly complete balance overhauls, and side content like Epic, the card pack with all the game mode modifier packs, the upcoming AI system, and more. It took a worldwide pandemic to put the brakes on.

Armada, on the other hand, has been essentially dead for years.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, someone tell me if my order of operations on this is wrong. Enemy shoots at hound. Hound rolls a blank, torrent next to hit takes a strain to let him reroll with dedicated. Hound takes the strain on himself. Then, since he has defended, the strain goes away.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

They adjusted that back when Finn got a free extra focus die on defense. Now the rules reference reads:

quote:

A ship is strained while it has at least one strain token. While a strained ship defends, it rolls 1 fewer defense die. The strain token is a red token.
  • After a strained ship applies the effect to roll 1 fewer defense die this way, it removes 1 strain token.
  • After a strained ship executes a blue maneuver, it removes 1 strain token.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Stickman posted:

They adjusted that back when Finn got a free extra focus die on defense. Now the rules reference reads:

Ha that's fair. Otherwise that would be disgusting and I love it.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Why would you ever take a LAAT over an ARC-170? "Sinker" has a similar ability to the basic LAAT, is 54 points instead of the LAAT's 51, but you get a 3 die front, 2 die rear primary instead of the 2-die bowtie arc. Hit points are similar (9 vs 10), and the dial is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Crew options, the LAAT’s reroll ability is just range 0-2, Sinker is 0-2 in the side arcs. Sinker goes down quicker than a LAAT reinforcing.