Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Lassitude posted:

Frankie is too pure for this country.

The only time I've ever seen anybody make fun of him or day unkind things about him they got piled on so hard. It was nice to see the country really come together to yell at a guy online who called him the r slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hmm so to limit spreading they aren't shutting down where the virus spread? (bars & restaurants)

Oh we have to wear masks TOO the restaurant but once we are seated we can remove masks.

I wonder when someone will tell the government the virus is airborne

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hmm so to limit spreading they aren't shutting down where the virus spread? (bars & restaurants)

Oh we have to wear masks TOO the restaurant but once we are seated we can remove masks.

I wonder when someone will tell the government the virus is airborne

well it's AIRborne and you go through a lot more air getting to the restaurant than once you're inside since at that point the air gets partly recycled

so logically that means this makes sense

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
there were 3 cases at a local high school reported on thursday and they didn't even shut down the school on friday lol

we can complain about bars and restaurants and gyms but schools and university students is where is spreading the most right now. nothing is going to improve

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
It kinda seems like everything else pales in comparison to how good at spreading disease the schools are going to be. I don't see how anything else is even going to make a dent in those numbers.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

RBC posted:

there were 3 cases at a local high school reported on thursday and they didn't even shut down the school on friday lol

we can complain about bars and restaurants and gyms but schools and university students is where is spreading the most right now. nothing is going to improve

We've got two cases in the residences at Queen's which is less than ideal and yet wholly expected by everyone for months

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Make it so kicking the poo poo out of anyone ignoring covid precautions is legally self defense and let nature take its course

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i feel like you're pretty likely to get some droplets on you by kicking the poo poo out of someone, vs not doing that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mask up, then kick the poo poo out of them.

I'm surprised no one in the US has used the lethality of covid droplets as a legal defense for shooting someone.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mameluke posted:

rupert's land can gently caress off, we never wanted it and it's just here so that bay street can gently caress over more indigenous people. canada is the st lawrence basin

Stand next to the rock bluff west of Bella Coola where Alex MacKenzie painted "From Canada By Land, 1793". Face east, lean against it.

Feel how vast the distance still is from there to Canada. Know that ultimately nothing happening east of those mountains matters.

Except that loving pipeline trying to put dilBit in these waters. gently caress that noise and the eastern bastards making it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kazinsal posted:

Mask up, then kick the poo poo out of them.

I'm surprised no one in the US has used the lethality of covid droplets as a legal defense for shooting someone.

They'd first have to believe in the existence of covid

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I really, really hope this happens. It won't benefit me directly but I think it's about time we stopped forcing people to jump through hoops when the government already has everything they need to calculate most people's tax returns and give them benefits they qualify for.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/free-automatic-tax-returns-benefits-1.5739678

quote:

The federal government says it will soon introduce a free, automatic tax filing system for simple returns — a policy change meant to provide government benefits to qualified people who don't collect them now because they skip filing their taxes.

The promise — a one-line commitment buried in the 6,783-word speech from the throne — could help hundreds of thousands of low- and fixed-income Canadians access benefits that are only paid to people who file tax returns.

By law, and in most cases, only people who owe taxes are required to file a return each year with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Many people — notably those on government assistance — don't expect to owe the federal government anything, so they seldom file.

Under the proposed changes, the CRA itself would draw up the paperwork for such simple returns each year — using data they already have on hand about individuals' income — to eliminate a bureaucratic burden that stands in the way of financial support.

Experts in tax policy have long said that the CRA already has enough personal information to automatically fill out tax returns for many infrequent filers. Much of the needed figures are electronically transmitted to the agency by employers and government agencies alike.

Thirty-six countries, including Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom, already permit return-free filing for some taxpayers.

Many Canadians missing out on federal money
On average, 12 per cent of working-age adults in Canada don't send in a return each year — a number that jumps to 15.9 per cent in Ontario, according to figures compiled by researchers at Carleton University.

As a result, many would-be recipients miss out on some federal programs like the Canada child benefit (CCB), the Canada workers benefit and the carbon tax rebate — money that could give a significant leg-up to low-income families.

Fewer than 3 per cent of homeless Canadians collect the GST/HST credit, according to research done by the Calgary Homeless Foundation.

Research from Prosper Canada, published in 2018, suggests as many as 40 per cent of eligible First Nations families aren't collecting the CCB — a monthly cheque paid to people with kids who fall below a certain income bracket.

A 2017 CBC News report documented internal government concerns about the slow uptake of the CCB among First Nations, Métis and Inuit people.

The Liberal government reworked the benefit, which was introduced by former prime minister Stephen Harper, and tightened eligibility to send more money to low- and middle-income Canadians — but many of the neediest were still left out.

Employment and Social Development Canada, the department responsible for sending the cheques to families, cited "a mistrust of the federal government and its programs and a resistance to taxation" as reasons why so many Indigenous people were leaving thousands of dollars unclaimed.

Lindsay Tedds is a professor of fiscal and economic policy at the University of Calgary. She said tying benefit eligibility to a tax filing is bad policy because it leaves out many eligible recipients who, for whatever reason, don't file returns.

Tedds said that for too long, tax filing and tax software lobby groups have been actively discouraging the CRA and its U.S. equivalent, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), from implementing automatic returns for fear it could put a dent in profits.

"I find it really disturbing that someone with a very simple tax return is going to a provider to pay $60 to have them fill out something that the CRA already can do," Tedds told CBC News.

"If we're going to deliver benefits through the tax system then we absolutely have to rethink our tax structure that was set up in 1918. A significant number of vulnerable people are missing out."

She said that while the change looks like a simple fix, it could go a long way toward achieving poverty reduction objectives.

A spokesperson for National Revenue Minister Diane Lebouthillier said the government is committed to making the tax process easier and more affordable for Canadians.

"In fact, in 2018, we introduced 'File my Return' where low and fixed-income Canadians were invited to file their tax returns through a simple and free telephone service," the spokesperson said in a statement.

But Tedds said that program — which involves CRA agents proactively reaching out to people by phone or mail to encourage them to file in order to collect benefits — isn't all that useful because there's a great deal of mistrust out there, especially among Indigenous people.

"We have a colonial and institutional system whereby the interaction they have with the state is solely the state coming to take their kids away, so proactively reaching out is not going to overcome these fundamental barriers," she said.

Tedds said many within the CRA see the institution as just a collection agency and not a purveyor of benefits — and are blind to the agency's grim reputation.

"The CRA is not known as being a loving, caring, nurturing organization to deal with," she said. "When we look at the data, CRA is not doing a fantastic job here.

"There are those in CRA and the Department of Finance who just don't fundamentally understand that the tax system is actually a barrier to achieving other objectives."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hexigrammus posted:

Stand next to the rock bluff west of Bella Coola where Alex MacKenzie painted "From Canada By Land, 1793". Face east, lean against it.

Feel how vast the distance still is from there to Canada. Know that ultimately nothing happening east of those mountains matters.

Ideally Cislaurentian Canada and Cascadia would have good relations, some day

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
corona bump

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
last night i got a message from OCS that they would be dropping my delivery off between 4pm and 11pm. then at 10pm they said they'd be there within an hour. then at 10:50 i got a message saying the delivery had been bumped by a day. actually incredible how well they've replicated buying from a weed dealer.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1311746964988596225

lol this guy

Off to a whiny start O'Toole!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It goes without saying, but banning "conversion therapy" is only divisive and controversial for conservatives.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're just trying to make me look bad!

why would this make you look bad erin?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
these anti-lynching laws are tearing us apart

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is he a plant to make the Liberals look good or something because lol :tinfoil:

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Just love how hellworld has completely broken the brains of all Canadian conservatives

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

There are so many gays and immigrants primed to be conservative voters in this country but the CPC is too dumb and would rather cater to SoCons who aren’t gonna vote for anyone else no matter what. Thank god harpers gone and Patrick’s a creep so I can focus on hating Liberals

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The gays and immigrants that want to vote Conservative just vote Liberal and get the same results.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Conservative voters are just Liberal voters with a personality disorder.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That move seems straight out of the OLP playbook.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

EvilJoven posted:

The gays and immigrants that want to vote Conservative just vote Liberal and get the same results.

Hey now, occasionally the NDP meddle in the affairs of the Liberals.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Starks posted:

There are so many gays and immigrants primed to be conservative voters in this country but the CPC is too dumb and would rather cater to SoCons who aren’t gonna vote for anyone else no matter what. Thank god harpers gone and Patrick’s a creep so I can focus on hating Liberals

My aunt has been out since like 1980 and she's been talking a lot of poo poo about all these young white gay dudes who are in their spaces and have no empathy for gay women or trans people or the older generation or whatever because the boot's been lifted just enough off their neck that they can get some of that sweet white male privilege. I don't want to say too much because obviously as a straight white guy I've lived a pretty charmed life but I know it pisses my aunt off that some of these guys get a little bit of money and acceptance and then turn their backs on the community. If CPC just entered like early 2000s levels of acceptance they'd probably have a lot of their votes.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

prom candy posted:

My aunt has been out since like 1980 and she's been talking a lot of poo poo about all these young white gay dudes who are in their spaces and have no empathy for gay women or trans people or the older generation or whatever because the boot's been lifted just enough off their neck that they can get some of that sweet white male privilege. I don't want to say too much because obviously as a straight white guy I've lived a pretty charmed life but I know it pisses my aunt off that some of these guys get a little bit of money and acceptance and then turn their backs on the community. If CPC just entered like early 2000s levels of acceptance they'd probably have a lot of their votes.

Edmonton no longer has an official Pride party because white gays would rather let the world burn down around them then accept that there are other letters in the LGBTQ+ community (or that non-white queer folk exist)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Society reyaching the point where the boot switches to stamping someone else in the face forever, especially if that someone else is a member or a group they despise themselves, does seem to end up being the goal of a lot of marginalized people out there.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

prom candy posted:

last night i got a message from OCS that they would be dropping my delivery off between 4pm and 11pm. then at 10pm they said they'd be there within an hour. then at 10:50 i got a message saying the delivery had been bumped by a day. actually incredible how well they've replicated buying from a weed dealer.

Why are you using the OCS?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

prom candy posted:

they tried it back in 2012 under Harper.

you may remember Tristin Hopper as that psycho who bragged about murdering a raccoon with his dad on twitter

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Oct 2, 2020

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Can I claim Canadian citizenship remotely?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can claim anything you like, how well it'll hold up at the border is another matter

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Helsing posted:

Why are you using the OCS?

the concept of buying weed from doug ford never gets old for me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

now you too can relive the glory days of etobicoke in the 80s

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
What's wrong with OCS, besides being overpriced?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
ocs has been great for me, pretty sure i managed to get same day delivery once.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Cold on a Cob posted:

What's wrong with OCS, besides being overpriced?

Isn't that enough?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
My weed guy has better prices, a better selection, and will deliver within 12 to 24 hours directly to my mailbox. There are plenty of dealers like that in every major city in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Its me I'm the guy who has strong opinions about where other people buy their weed and i share them on the internet

Read my blog at dontbuyocsweed.blogspot.org for the straight dope on government weed