Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

Dismantling it might allow another british news based company to arise though. One that a: isn't controlled by the Murdoch's or/and b: isn't controlled by the Tories.

I think the Radio would probably be the biggest loss.

Launching a news company requires significant amounts of money. Look at our media in the spaces the BBC doesn't serve and what kind of people are willing to put up that money.

It's not helpful to be this naive, we know exactly what kind of companies we step up to replace the BBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Lungboy posted:

The BBC isn't really a single entity anymore, so while the news side has been thoroughly infiltrated by Tories, the entertainment, drama, natural history etc arms haven't.

True. The programmes are still good, I fear that once Attenborough goes the natural history and nature stuff will fall off a cliff.

They really could do with less reality garbage though

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

peanut- posted:

Launching a news company requires significant amounts of money. Look at our media in the spaces the BBC doesn't serve and what kind of people are willing to put up that money.

It's not helpful to be this naive, we know exactly what kind of companies we step up to replace the BBC.

Ok fair, it's unlikely that any decent thing will come up in its place. But I still think losing the news side of the BBC wouldn't be that much of a travesty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/JoeStephenson96/status/1309960675188502531

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This graph, more than anything, really brought home to me how there's zero loving accountability for the government and their actions:

Let's open the schools and universities, we really need to get the little fuckers out of our hair. Oh and better ban them from wearing PPE, else the fucks might want us to wear it too.

What's that, Covid-19 is spreading at an unprecedented rate among school populations? Let's just plunk the graph down with zero analysis and blame students for having parties.

It's objective reporting innit.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 27, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

You know why there's zero accountability?

Because there's no election anytime soon..they can do whatever the gently caress they want. Labour aren't going to challenge them on anything.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/rowlsmanthorpe/status/1310186390949441537?s=21

lmao

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

I guess theyr just running up the scoreboard but who are they trying to censor?
I read something about how he wants to expand Ofcom's remit to cover 'online fake news,' presumably meaning shitcanning Trashfuture and Angry Voice whenever they get a single number wrong, but giving a pass to alt right news sites. Or giving tax breaks to social media sites if they give Ofcom mod buttons.* Also a bit troubling considering the UK has finally managed to get its content firewall mostly working.

Then again I thoroughly poisoned my brain glancing at the father in law's facebook feed. It's every gammon fantasy with a sprinkling of Qanon poo poo for good measure.

This on top of the guidelines for education, kind of feeling thoroughly horrible about the UK right now.

* under maritime law i hereby ban the lathe of heaven from using this post

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

"came as a surprise" TAE loving WHO? WHO WAS SO STUPID THAT THEY DIDN'T THINK KIDS SPREAD GERMS?

I swear tae gently caress the baby boomers are called that because if their brains progress past childhood they explode.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Knowledgeable goons, I come to you for aid.

The house where I live has central heating. There's a little doohickey where you twist the dial and it comes on and you set the temperature. Ever since the boiler/landlord inspection a few weeks ago it doesn't do that, and it's cold now. Looks like this -

Anyone have any idea where to look to switch this thing back on? Checked the breakers, they're all on and everything else has power anyway. No sign of any magic secret switches near it. I'd really like to figure this out without calling the landlord because he's not the type to just tell us, he'll want to come round and then I have to tidy etc and its basically an unnecessary inspection and ugh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has it got a battery in it?

My thermostat unit did and it kept loving up, so I replaced it with one of those dummy batteries you plug in the wall.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

"came as a surprise" TAE loving WHO? WHO WAS SO STUPID THAT THEY DIDN'T THINK KIDS SPREAD GERMS?

I swear tae gently caress the baby boomers are called that because if their brains progress past childhood they explode.

Well sage have been saying they didn't want unis to go back so presumably it was the same with schools and the government ignored them as usual

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Looks like a wireless thermostat - they use batteries, but I cant find this one exactly with a google, and it's too close to an iPod to do a reverse image.

there are usually two small screws underneath so you can take the unit off the wall to check.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Knowledgeable goons, I come to you for aid.

The house where I live has central heating. There's a little doohickey where you twist the dial and it comes on and you set the temperature. Ever since the boiler/landlord inspection a few weeks ago it doesn't do that, and it's cold now. Looks like this -

Anyone have any idea where to look to switch this thing back on? Checked the breakers, they're all on and everything else has power anyway. No sign of any magic secret switches near it. I'd really like to figure this out without calling the landlord because he's not the type to just tell us, he'll want to come round and then I have to tidy etc and its basically an unnecessary inspection and ugh.

Fwiw. The switch for our boiler is in a completely separate part of the house.

But those are usually battery powered. And can generally lift straight off the wall.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Renfield posted:

Looks like a wireless thermostat - they use batteries, but I cant find this one exactly with a google, and it's too close to an iPod to do a reverse image.

there are usually two small screws underneath so you can take the unit off the wall to check.

One screw in this case but yes, it's battery operated so I'm off to buy some AAAs. Thanks goons!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Literally just this week we’ve learned of a new 24-hour news channel set up by Andrew Neil that will basically be The Spectator TV. The idea that any kind of new, better, organisation would spring up if the BBC is scrapped is a ludicrous fantasy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I read something about how he wants to expand Ofcom's remit to cover 'online fake news,' presumably meaning shitcanning Trashfuture and Angry Voice whenever they get a single number wrong, but giving a pass to alt right news sites. Or giving tax breaks to social media sites if they give Ofcom mod buttons.* Also a bit troubling considering the UK has finally managed to get its content firewall mostly working.

Then again I thoroughly poisoned my brain glancing at the father in law's facebook feed. It's every gammon fantasy with a sprinkling of Qanon poo poo for good measure.

This on top of the guidelines for education, kind of feeling thoroughly horrible about the UK right now.

* under maritime law i hereby ban the lathe of heaven from using this post

its absolutely, unironically obviously time to flee the country but... effort

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

But I still think losing the news side of the BBC wouldn't be that much of a travesty.

It’s not going to be ‘lost’, it’s going to be changed into something worse. It’s not necessary to prefer the UK monarchy to a Republic to object to being ruled by an undead Lich Queen.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah well, I just managed to get a house, so... RIP me I guess.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Brexit transition period ends in just over three months so I'd get a move on if I were you.

Oct 4, 2005

Where would you even go? It seems like most of the English speaking countries are ruled by psychopaths at the moment

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I did this and now I get to be one of the good ethnic minorities in China. It’s pretty good in the short term, and I can always drink heavily to avoid thinking about the long term implications if needed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I dunno, you can say that but honestly where are you meant to flee to? This country is hardly uniquely lovely at this point.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah well, I just managed to get a house, so... RIP me I guess.

If you just hand over the title deeds to me that will allow you to flee unfettered to the land.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

1965917 posted:

Where would you even go? It seems like most of the English speaking countries are ruled by psychopaths at the moment

learn another language and move to some rural area then re-learn the language's dialect.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1310202377312571392?s=19
Dying of the Rona because it'd be embarrassing to raise taxes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I feel like Chris Addison doesn't really get to make this sort of criticism.

https://twitter.com/mrchrisaddison/status/1310188201026498560?s=19

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Everyone and their dog has known Johnny is a fascist piece of poo poo for literal decades now anyway, nobody except Chris Addison is shocked by this.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

justcola posted:

learn another language and move to some rural area then re-learn the language's dialect.

That's the thing, there's a reason why everyone immigrates to the UK (and other anglo countries but that's besides the point) rather than Netherlands or France; English is far too common and convenient.

Speaking honestly it's 90% of why I did, anyway.

And it's not just my impression, if you look at statistics on where intra-eu migrants are employed it's almost always limited to things like construction and manual work (outside of the german/french speaking blocs anyway), except in Britain where it's almost every sector of the economy and manual labour is only a relatively small fraction of the total.

It doesn't help that in e.g. Netherlands it's staggeringly common to see ads "only native dutch speakers, sorry" even when the job posting itself is in English. And that includes jobs like programming where language skill isn't particularly essential and everyone uses English anyway.

Bit musing here but I've seriously considered applying for work somewhere else in western europe as I've recently quit my job, but being an eastern european programmer who's only fluent in English it's immeasurably easier for me to find work in Britain, even with the current crisis (does help I have a relevant decent degree and work experience from the UK).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 27, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/ioanmarcjones/status/1310191076859314176

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

The butter/not-butter ads didn't clue them in?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

the shape of his head is warped, it's sick, this man are ill

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1310202377312571392?s=19
Dying of the Rona because it'd be embarrassing to raise taxes.

I'd have thought this was the perfect opportunity to get rid of Rishi and paint him as the bad guy. "He won't do what's needed to save lives" and "cares more about money than people" etc.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lungboy posted:

I'd have thought this was the perfect opportunity to get rid of Rishi and paint him as the bad guy. "He won't do what's needed to save lives" and "cares more about money than people" etc.

that’s what the rest of the tories believe tho why would they get rid of him

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Lungboy posted:

Not sure why he’d want to go through a third chancellor in less than a year though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lungboy posted:

MPs dont know gently caress all about poo poo so a goldman sachs technocrat massively outranks bojo in matters of money

also why would they want to get rid of him?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
"They" wouldn't, but Boris might if he wanted to protect his own position.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It is a lot of effort, and cost, but I can definitely recommend it nevertheless, if you have the opportunity and the money to do so. I do not regret getting the gently caress out.

(Sorry, not trying to gloat, it really is very sad and distressing to me what the UK has become.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

*extremely deflated voice* It's happening.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1309930873068945408?s=19

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rishi and the Saj will unite to form an unstoppable duo of spurned brown chancellors and cast Boris into the pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

That doesn't looks like twenty points to me