Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It also wasn't nearly as mean spirited as Family Guy had gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sunswipe posted:

They could go back and redub The Cleveland Show.

With some jokes.

And without Rallo.

Filthy Haiku posted:

Cleveland show at least had the small blessing of being extremely bland at it's worst. It's contemporaries were actively painful to watch at the time.

Eeeeeehhh there were some pretty horrible Cleveland Show episodes.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Atlas Hugged posted:

Burns being chummy and Smithers getting jealous sounds like a straightforward premise that could easily be very funny.

Yes it was good when they did it 20 years ago in the bowling episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded randomly of a weird random thing I was reminded of when watching, of all things, the Kirby anime: the entire dynamic of the core cast and characters loosely reminded me of The Simpsons. Kirby is basically taken in by a nuclear family with a bratty boy and outspoken consciencious girl whose bumbling dad works for King Dedede, who is basically Mr Burns complete with the snail dude being pretty much Smithers. Obviously in this analogy, Kirby is Maggie.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

you broke my grill posted:

Yes it was good when they did it 20 years ago in the bowling episode

I just watched that episode too god drat how did I forget it? But at least Smithers being jealous is a new twist it's not

Seriously though, show has been on forever, they're bound to recycle plot elements and at least that particular plot isn't like awful.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded randomly of a weird random thing I was reminded of when watching, of all things, the Kirby anime: the entire dynamic of the core cast and characters loosely reminded me of The Simpsons. Kirby is basically taken in by a nuclear family with a bratty boy and outspoken consciencious girl whose bumbling dad works for King Dedede, who is basically Mr Burns complete with the snail dude being pretty much Smithers. Obviously in this analogy, Kirby is Maggie.

Who shot mr dedede

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ikanreed posted:

Who shot mr dedede

I would not be half surprised if they actually had an episode like this. I think I left off on the one with the evil personal trainer whose musical number led to Kirby getting the Microphone power, which has not-Lisa go from 'Oh yeah! ...oh, no.' and everyone runs for their lives as Kirby joining in the song collapses the castle on top of the bad guy from the power of him being simply such a bad (and loud) singer.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I would not be half surprised if they actually had an episode like this. I think I left off on the one with the evil personal trainer whose musical number led to Kirby getting the Microphone power, which has not-Lisa go from 'Oh yeah! ...oh, no.' and everyone runs for their lives as Kirby joining in the song collapses the castle on top of the bad guy from the power of him being simply such a bad (and loud) singer.

i think we just found the guy who writes episode synopses on tv show wikias

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so what simpson charcter is Meta Knight?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
The Simpsons are going to Dreamland!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

so what simpson charcter is Meta Knight?

That baby with the unibrow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Homer would definitely win the Great Gourmet Race

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
This is the new lowest point imo:

https://twitter.com/Srirachachau/status/1309957375462223872?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lmao.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

what

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

This sounds too ridiculous to be real.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I saw a few years ago they watched real films a few times Family guy style. Such an insane style choice to change so late on, just looks like pure laziness.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Guess what it is

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I...want to know the context, but I also don't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably best to assume there's barely any to speak of.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably best to assume there's barely any to speak of.

:hmmyes:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What the gently caress

Stop, just stop

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weirdly, The Poke of Zorro in a S11 episode has a lot of early zombie simpsons energy, but it still is pretty funny. Maybe because it's a pretty densely packed gag and that it's the level of absurdity you really need to actually parody 90s blockbusters. Wild Wild West was actually made and all.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I hate to do this to you guys but I’ve seen it and now you all have to as well. It’s very real

https://youtu.be/Dfob4stBbo0

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 27, 2020

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

WeaponX posted:

I hate to do this to you guys but I’ve seen it and now you all have to. It’s very real

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The internalized misogyny of zombie Simpsons Marge is so much worse than the self aware internalized misogyny of early Simpsons Marge

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ikanreed posted:

The internalized misogyny of zombie Simpsons Marge is so much worse than the self aware internalized misogyny of early Simpsons Marge

The genuineness of every character is completely gone. Any subtlety or cleverness has been stripped away and now they are just the broadest, dumbest, versions of themselves.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

WeaponX posted:

I hate to do this to you guys but I’ve seen it and now you all have to as well. It’s very real

I know it gets said every time, but loving hell Marge's voice. I can't even pay attention to what she's actually saying, all I can focus on is how painful it sounds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So uuuhhhh help me out here, that scene with the "Homer forgot his lunch" story is from an episode that has already existed for years and years, right? And they've re-animated it and pasted in Warren? I mean I would swear to any deity you care to name I have seen it before, maybe even from an episode that's not especially recent

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm so glad they labeled the photo

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

also the weirdly over-detailed pizza boxes and that "hounds are having a birthday" poster are examples of this very sweaty energy modern day simpsons has, where they feel the need to cram in "jokes" anywhere they can, even if they're completely unnecessary to (and distracting from) the scene. It's like they're trying to hedge their bets and doing an incredibly lovely job of it in a way that makes every component part worse

you can see this in that "live homer" thing they did a while back where random characters will pop into the room for no reason like ducks at a shooting gallery, to absolutely zero comedic effect

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Riptor posted:

also the weirdly over-detailed pizza boxes and that "hounds are having a birthday" poster are examples of this very sweaty energy modern day simpsons has, where they feel the need to cram in "jokes" anywhere they can, even if they're completely unnecessary to (and distracting from) the scene. It's like they're trying to hedge their bets and doing an incredibly lovely job of it in a way that makes every component part worse

you can see this in that "live homer" thing they did a while back where random characters will pop into the room for no reason like ducks at a shooting gallery, to absolutely zero comedic effect

Every sight gag is as lazy and milquetoast as possible. I really don’t think there is a shred of talent writing this show anymore, it’s shocking

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's a shame because if it was literally just the 'the hounds are having a birthday, bring meat' poster hung up like it's normal that'd have been funny but yea when you cram it in with five other lovely background jokes it just becomes a check box to tick off in the IMDB trivia page for the episode.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Riptor posted:

Yep, if he was just eating pizza, with nothing on the boxes, the joke "Homer is the kind of glutton who would eat a whole pizza at his workstation" loses nothing.

It's still not good, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Memento posted:

Yep, if he was just eating pizza, with nothing on the boxes, the joke "Homer is the kind of glutton who would eat a whole pizza at his workstation" loses nothing.

It's still not good, though.

There'd be a certain charming simplicity if it was just three pizza boxes with nothing on them. "Homer orders three whole pizzas to his workstation, LOL" is a pretty great old-style Simpsons gag.

Load it up with high-resolution puns and sight gags like it thinks it's Bojack Horseman is just holy poo poo you're trying waaaaaay too hard guys.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Data Graham posted:

There'd be a certain charming simplicity if it was just three pizza boxes with nothing on them. "Homer orders three whole pizzas to his workstation, LOL" is a pretty great old-style Simpsons gag.

just look at how well this works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBL6ILwFMe8&t=14s

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1310606967052709888?s=21

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

there's an era of the simpsons where they constantly had people tell other people "go to hell", "no", or "make me" and while objectively there are probably more clever things they could have written, there's definitely nothing better they could have done. its just perfect

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I’ve literally never met anyone in the past 10 years who would ever admit they’re watching current simpsons. Who is watching the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The_Rob posted:

I’ve literally never met anyone in the past 10 years who would ever admit they’re watching current simpsons. Who is watching the show.

Old people, who believe they're "with it", unaware that what "it" is has been changed