Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Just checked out Andrew Rawnsleys gushing praise for Starmer in the Observer and the nakedness of the double standards on display is amazing.

The media falling over themselves to praise Starmers Labour for barely scrapping ahead of the Tories in the polls. This is one of the most grossly incompetent governments in history, in the midst of very publicly bungling their response to the pandemic and the best Labour can manage is a margin-of-error lead in the polls. Corbyn was absolutely monstered by the media for doing the same against the far less disastrous May government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

“Ukip for culture”

what does that mean? that they want the nation to exit culture? leave that to the europeans to do and go our own way without?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It means the Snowflake Party because its all about being butthurt that someone said "blm" or "terf"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

From Monday evening, almost 1.9m of Wales' 3.1m people will be subject to local coronavirus rules.

Sounds fine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lady Demelza posted:

The 'faces on wall' thing also works because people feel they're being watched, and so are more likely to behave in socially acceptable ways. That's why some shops have a cardboard cut-out of a policeman.

I remember when Morrisons in Ripon was having a ridiculous amount of shoplifting going on, so they got in one of those cardboard coppers. Someone nicked it.

Regarding the Lib Dems not wanting to rejoin the EU yet: they're right. We're better off in than out, but the time to start campaigning is not January 1st 2021. People are going to need a few hard years of things falling apart before they are ready to see the value of the EU. In the meantime everyone who wants back in needs to not give the impression that things are falling apart because they're undermining Britain just so we will go back in.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I can't see us ever rejoining as presumably we'd have to drop the Pound for the Euro and good luck with that argument.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i go to a turkish grocer it’s cheaper than the chains their produce is better than any chain except maybe wait rose or whole foods (but way cheaper) and they have cool indecipherable bulgarian salamis

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lungboy posted:

I can't see us ever rejoining as presumably we'd have to drop the Pound for the Euro and good luck with that argument.

Eh, Poland are a relatively recent EU member obliged to join the Eurozone, and their planned date for changing currency is roughly when Warsaw sinks into the ocean. Promising to join the Euro in theory is not exactly a binding obligation to actually do it in practice, see also Sweden for instance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

Eh, Poland are a relatively recent EU member obliged to join the Eurozone, and their planned date for changing currency is roughly when Warsaw sinks into the ocean. Promising to join the Euro in theory is not exactly a binding obligation to actually do it in practice, see also Sweden for instance.

Yeah, Sweden have committed to adopt the Euro as the rules require, but the same rules don't set out a timetable within which you have to complete the process. Of course the EU might set such a timetable for us if we did rejoin, just to make us prove that we were serious, but we'd have the support of Sweden and Poland if we argued the point because what could be set for us could also be set for them.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
eu agrees we can keep the pound sterling if we change it to kilo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
We would be in a strong negotiating position, they would have to agree to whatever we wanted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bump_fn posted:

eu agrees we can keep the pound sterling if we change it to kilo

One weird trick to combat inflation, economists hate it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We would be in a strong negotiating position, they would have to agree to whatever we wanted.

This is very true, we could send David Davis along without even a pen to negotiate.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've never done a full ship in Waitrose, just the occasional online shop, or nipping in for a couple things when I'm nearby, but out of the others,

Sainsburys > Tesco > Asda > Morrisons.

We mostly shop at Tesco's, but that's because it's nearby, so we've collected a bunch of clubcard points, but Sainsbury's have the best quality own brand stuff.

Asda's own brand is probably the worst of them all, but they tend to have the best prices overall, and much more selection than the Morrisons I've been to.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lungboy posted:

I’d honestly be a bit upset to lose the pound just because our physical coinage is so much better than Euros. Having all different shapes and sizes is much better for accessibility (e.g. for blind people) and it’s just plain cool to have a seven-sided coin :colbert:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
where does coop rank

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Somerfield was the best. :(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

mehall posted:

I've never done a full ship in Waitrose, just the occasional online shop, or nipping in for a couple things when I'm nearby, but out of the others,

We mostly shop at Tesco's, but that's because it's nearby, so we've collected a bunch of clubcard points, but Sainsbury's have the best quality own brand stuff.

Asda's own brand is probably the worst of them all, but they tend to have the best prices overall, and much more selection than the Morrisons I've been to.

nah to all of this to be honest.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sainsbury's is poo poo, they've lost the plot, Asda and Morrisons are poo poo too but less and at least somewhat cheap. Tesco's is optimal. Waitrose makes me feel worthy to spend that bit extra. Lidl and Aldi are very hit and miss depending on the store, newer the better and the most fun but poo poo for like lunch meal deals. I spend loads in the local budgens for shite because I plan poorly and am lazy. Having said all that I mainly shop in booths.

My nearest local supermarket was a Morrisons in my old place in MK. For some stuff they were poo poo - their produce was awful, stuff you'd normally get a week out of would only last a couple of days and much of it was just poo poo quality.

Their bakery products are good though. Good bread, and cheap. I think Tesco was prob my favourite - good mix of cheap but decent stuff plus some of their nicer stuff was good - their Finest macaroni cheese was I think the best I've ever had from a ready meal.

ASDA was always an absolute loving state but they used to have crazy deals on sometimes, though lots of empty shelves and stuff. Plus they treat their employees like absolute poo poo. Sainsbury's was alright, can't say much about it tbh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bump_fn posted:

where does coop rank

good scotch eggs so pretty high

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Morrisons salad bar is loving great, plus I know where everything is, so that's where I go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Morrisons salad bar is loving great, plus I know where everything is, so that's where I go.

We already established you can buy infinite eggs for a pound.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

mehall posted:

Aldi or Liddle, you rich gently caress.

I can imagine you wearing your top hat, reclining and imagining what very expensive supermarket your butler might suggest.

Then we instruct our chauffeur to make haste to Sainsbury's.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its lidl i think? Not been. Harrods delivery all the way for me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fortnum and Mason or nothing imo

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

stev posted:

Fortnum and Mason or nothing imo

Bargain Booze do some good offers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
idk I assume the kitchen staff order the food in from somewhere, I can ask my housekeeper if you like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bursting into rod liddle's house and demanding all his wet eggs.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

bump_fn posted:

where does coop rank

They have our printers. I went in to one of their distribution warehouses in the south because "smoke was coming out of it". Turn up and a load of bits of the machine are missing, and very much turn around and say "I am not touching this". Plus they put printers in the chilled sections of the warehouses and that's just loving dumb

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dogatron posted:

Aldi or Liddle, you rich gently caress.

I can imagine you wearing your top hat, reclining and imagining what very expensive supermarket your butler might suggest.

Then we instruct our chauffeur to make haste to Sainsbury's.

Counterpoint - I've never lived walking distance from an Aldi or Lidl, and until I moved in with my current gf, had no method of personal transportation

E; plus, there's lots of poo poo those two don't stock.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lungboy posted:

This is very true, we could send David Davis along without even a pen to negotiate.

Why would we need a pen? They're the ones that have to make notes. Other than to quickly tick off the demands that they've agreed to I suppose.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

They have our printers. I went in to one of their distribution warehouses in the south because "smoke was coming out of it". Turn up and a load of bits of the machine are missing, and very much turn around and say "I am not touching this". Plus they put printers in the chilled sections of the warehouses and that's just loving dumb

Tell a lie, the smoking printer was Procter & Gamble, not Co-op. Most of Co-op's printer kit should have been refreshed five years ago

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

Other than the decade lost to Jamie Oliver what's Sainsbury's done that so bad?
Sainsburys is Lidl quality food at a Waitrose pricepoint. It's for people who can't afford to shop at M&S but still want to feel like they're better than people who shop at Tesco.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The bags of frozen bifteki during Greek week at lidl are loving ace.

Also the bins of shame in lidl and aldi full of random crap are awesome. It was a lot better Germany though.

Our local is asda and its pretty decent. Has a massive polish section now so I buy turkey kielbasa for scrambled eggs in the morning and some seriously good dill pickles that aren't sweet.

I keep meaning to pop one town over to morrisons and check out the BOGOFS my mum is always going on about but with covid I only really take the cart on foot, can't afford to go to a supermarket and wander about like a tourist like I used to.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sainsburys is Lidl quality food at a Waitrose pricepoint. It's for people who can't afford to shop at M&S but still want to feel like they're better than people who shop at Tesco.

In my experience stuff at lidl is as good or better than stuff in sains, Tesco, asda.
I don't think it's lower quality than any of them it's usually just diff euro brands which range from weird to great (chocolate digestives)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Iceland is amazing value and people don't talk about it enough. I have never gone in there and not been surprised in a good way on reaching the tills.

Only buy boxed stuff, their fresh / own brand meat is shite, and they stopped doing the good ikea knockoff meatballs as well which is all bad. But generally very good and very cheap options if you're buying McCain or Birdseye or whatever.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The hot & spicy frozen chicken strips are extremely good.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I always used to fantasise as a kid about being "rich enough" to buy one of those massive snack tray things from Iceland they sell around Christmas.

I still have never even been in one. So to me Iceland is secret food nirvana.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lungboy posted:

I investigated moving to Canada but without a sponsor lined up there was some rule whereby an employer would have to carry out an investigation and prove that no Canadian could do the job before they can offer it to a non-Canadian, which was never going to happen. I looked into Australia and New Zealand too but they're out due to my health, so I'm left with the EU.

Yeah that's the biggest issue with Canada. The UK does the same thing to non-EU folks (and soon to be, well, everyone) if it makes you feel any better? Not that I expect it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Iceland is amazing value and people don't talk about it enough. I have never gone in there and not been surprised in a good way on reaching the tills.

Only buy boxed stuff, their fresh / own brand meat is shite, and they stopped doing the good ikea knockoff meatballs as well which is all bad. But generally very good and very cheap options if you're buying McCain or Birdseye or whatever.

In maybe the proliest statement I could possibly make: I save Iceland for Christmas where I go and ram my entire freezer with party food and make it last well into January.

So I can at least vouch for the quality of Iceland's wee sausage rolls.