Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zokari posted:

"reactionary, reactionary, none of you are free of sin" - zack snyders superman

awh gently caress it all makes so much sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this thread sure went to poo poo in a jiffy huh

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Nerds gonna nerd

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think it's worth pointing out that 300 is a story being told by an unreliable narrator who exaggerates poo poo to get the greeks to join the war effort. It's literally a storyteller lying to the audience. And death of the author and all, but Zack himself has said multiple times you're not supposed to relate to the spartans. You know, the group that chucks babies off cliffs if they are "deformed".

Just tossing that out there!

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
300 is a good and fun movie. Nerds will always focus on the aesthetics while ignoring the subtext.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

well, if its to defeat snyder its okay to abandon marxism I guess

e: like, I've barely said anything good about synder but I guess I want to kiss him and marry him because people are offended that I want to talk about him in the pop cuiture thread instead of just agreeing that he's super bad and stinky
this is like the sixth post where youve called someone a nazi for insulting your favorite childrens movie. you like him. its ok!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
anybody listen to the new sufjan album yet

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

thatfatkid posted:

300 is a good and fun movie. Nerds will always focus on the aesthetics while ignoring the subtext.

yeah i love the iraq war dude

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

yeah i love the iraq war dude

i'm taking the double-contrarian position that 300 is a pro iraq war movie because it wants to make the spartans the badguys

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

StashAugustine posted:

i'm taking the double-contrarian position that 300 is a pro iraq war movie because it wants to make the spartans the badguys

:hmmyes:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

anybody listen to the new sufjan album yet

not very good imo! but i didn’t really like adz tho so take that with a grain of salt

carrie and lowell still his goat

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

babypolis posted:

this thread sure went to poo poo in a jiffy huh

I'm pretty sure it happened because I shitposted that Snyder's films are better than the MCU

the power of his films is that a single post can destroy a thread

Serf
May 5, 2011

300 can be read as a satire, sure. but after seeing it in the theater one of my friends, an army ranger, walked out saying that he couldn't wait to go back to iraq to "kill some more hajis"

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm pretty sure it happened because I shitposted that Snyder's films are better than the MCU

honestly the thread made me like the guy more than any of his films

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

It's certainly possible to see the Persians as the US equivalent and the Spartans as the plucky taliban freedom fighters. In fact Zizek had the same idea.

Atrocious Joe posted:

This actually happens way more often than one would think.

Serf posted:

300 can be read as a satire, sure. but after seeing it in the theater one of my friends, an army ranger, walked out saying that he couldn't wait to go back to iraq to "kill some more hajis"

Did your army ranger friend also get the urge to parade in briefs and a red cape together with his army vet buddies?

That's a rhetorical question. We all know army guys are super homoerotic, I assume that's just a regular evening thing

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Serf posted:

it's satire, but this runs into the problem of satire in general where it's nearly impossible to make something so awful that the fascists won't end up salivating over it.

like, the paradigmatic 'successful' satire is a modest proposal, but it's important to note that it targeted libs, not fascists. whereas it's debatable that starship troopers succeeds as satire, because it certainly doesn't cause the people being satirized any second thoughts. otoh does that mean it fails?

StashAugustine posted:

it's really funny when you consider that there's no way snyder knew obama was coming, but xerxes is 100% how republicans saw him, and from a bit more psychological distance the character makes for a good critical reading of his public persona as well.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Sep 28, 2020

Serf
May 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

Did your army ranger friend also get the urge to parade in briefs and a red cape together with his army vet buddies?

That's a rhetorical question. We all know army guys are super homoerotic, I assume that's just a regular evening thing

what

Hodgepodge posted:

it's satire, but this runs into the problem of satire in general where it's nearly impossible to make something so awful that the fascists won't end up salivating over it.

like, the paradigmatic 'successful' satire is a modest proposal, but it's important to note that it targeted libs, not fascists. whereas it's debatable that starship troopers succeeds as satire, because it certainly doesn't cause the people being satirized any second thoughts. otoh does that mean it fails?

funny story, this same dude actually got very mad at starship troopers because he thought the war scenes were badly done. according to him there's no way guys with guns could lose to space bugs

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

not very good imo! but i didn’t really like adz tho so take that with a grain of salt

carrie and lowell still his goat

I liked it but I was stoned and had to listen to it in two sittings because I was falling asleep

80 minute albums are just hard for me to pull off these days

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Serf posted:

funny story, this same dude actually got very mad at starship troopers because he thought the war scenes were badly done. according to him there's no way guys with guns could lose to space bugs

at risk of brining up another Film We Must Hate, it's funny how close this is to how nerds reacted to prometheus

"how could the map guy get lost," they ask about the dude whose mapping drone start-up is an expression of his barely suppressed fursona

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
now were talking baby. Prometheus is a movie trashing the great man theory and Covenant is a huge gently caress you to the settler myths

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As I recall, a lot of people missed that STT was satire when it first came out and was treated as a regular fare sci fi. It was only after a couple of years people caught on to it being satirical.

Of course, I might be wrong, since I was pretty young back then, but that's the impression I got.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Serf posted:

no such thing as an anti-war movie. also maybe this person shouldn't be your friend.

coathat
May 21, 2007

You people need to not talk about movies

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

so you know what just talk about whatever dumb pop culture stuff you want it doesnt need to be highbrow

from the OP. if y’all wanna talk about other pop culture present it to the committee instead of doing the lame meta posts on how you’re forced to look at these posts about pop culture

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

at risk of brining up another Film We Must Hate, it's funny how close this is to how nerds reacted to prometheus

"how could the map guy get lost," they ask about the dude whose mapping drone start-up is an expression of his barely suppressed fursona

i never got the hate for prometheus. the movie feels like a fever dream from start to finish. that may not be the intended effect, but it is very unsettling and i think it does a good job of selling you on how much of a folly/exercise in hubris this whole expedition is. covenant owns

Action Jacktion posted:

no such thing as an anti-war movie. also maybe this person shouldn't be your friend.

he isn't anymore. turns out he was cheating on his fiancee (who was the person that i knew him through) and after that came out we never saw him again. i still have the bootleg 300-themed army coin he gave us all

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Professorjuggalo posted:

now were talking baby. Prometheus is a movie trashing the great man theory and Covenant is a huge gently caress you to the settler myths

Serf posted:

i never got the hate for prometheus. the movie feels like a fever dream from start to finish. that may not be the intended effect, but it is very unsettling and i think it does a good job of selling you on how much of a folly/exercise in hubris this whole expedition is. covenant owns

the prometheus thread in c/d was mostly people wandering in and acting as if this were some impossible bizzaro perspective for thousands of pages at a time. glad that people actually watched it and got what it was very obviously going for, thread redeemed :cryingtrashpandazizek:

my favorite bit is how janek and the other bridge crew dude seem all weird and forced in their cheerfulness when they're about to ram the juggernaut and it turns out that's because the studio forced them to have a big heroic sacrifice scene and they're absolutely being sarcastic as hell about it

e; that's a lie my favorite part is fassbender

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Bootleg Trunks posted:

it is morally wrong and bad praxis to view or even enjoy a marvel/disney movie

World war 4 will be fought between marvel and dc fandoms

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Malkina_ posted:

World war 4 will be fought between marvel and dc fandoms

i'm going to look real dumb when the marvel fanboys capture the snyder cut and the dc faction launches the nukes because they refuse to release it

a silhouette of me facepalming, burnt into the rock for a future species to discover

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

my favorite bit is how janek and the other bridge crew dude seem all weird and forced in their cheerfulness when they're about to ram the juggernaut and it turns out that's because the studio forced them to have a big heroic sacrifice scene and they're absolutely being sarcastic as hell about it

I never heard about this, do you have any source on it, because that sounds hilarious

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Hodgepodge posted:

Thats because Prometheus loving sucks and its ideas are sloppily executed.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

McCloud posted:

I never heard about this, do you have any source on it, because that sounds hilarious

it was in an interview, but i rarely have much luck finding interviews by topics discussed on google and the most obvious choice for actor (Idris Elba) isn't turning up anything

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

thatfatkid posted:

Thats because Prometheus loving sucks and its ideas are sloppily executed.

try watching it with the screen on next time :smuggo: :agesilaus: :c00lbert:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is that comey series out yet and are there any great reviews mocking it yet

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
just finished watching all of the sopranos for the first time. did people really not get that tony died? like it's extremely obvious

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Plank Walker posted:

just finished watching all of the sopranos for the first time. did people really not get that tony died? like it's extremely obvious

a lot of people literally can't understand anything that's explicitly not spelled out for them, probably because that's what they're used to media doing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

speaking of the sopranos i saw the last castle last night where james gandolfini plays a tyranical military prison warden whose monstrous crime is not letting his prisoners love america

literal military grade succ our hero is a general who wasnt just court martialed he feels bad about his crime of getting troops killed no mention is made of anyone being locked up for killing civilians although at least one guy killed his co which makes all the officer fetishization seem even more ridiculous

i especially liked how the movie has insane faith in the inherently just and noble nature of the military hierarchy when literally every drat character is an example of the military hierarchys fuckups the main characters master plan isnt even to kill james gandolfini its to shame him into admitting hes a bad troop and failing that to get the manager of the military to fire him

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
the sopranos ending discourse is hilarious to me. like this website, for instance:

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

4 pages plus annotations of dense, single-spaced text describing the implications of the ending scene of what is (and i say this without any judgment) a soap opera for men. the early 2000s was a very strange time for tv because the relatively small amount of content led to extreme deep dives for every show. see also lost

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
the sopranos sucks and is melodramatic garbage. s1 and s2 are pretty good. anything further is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think it was from how new ‘prestige tv’ was. look at how many serious write-ups there were on Oz and then you watch it and realize looney tunes in jail.

sopranos is kinda interesting though cause the fans loved all the characters so David cage tried pulling multiple end of evangelions on the fanbase to make them turn on them instead.

even that didn’t work which he ended off with taking away the traditional narrative resolution and people STILL didn’t wanna accept it (not even talking about the sopranos as a piece of media but how the cultural eye viewed it)