Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

so assuming shodai's promoted who's going to get the second komosubi slot? presumably takanosho would get the vacated sekiwake position and terunofuji the east K slot. kiribayama?

I think numerically it’s a tossup between Kiri and Takayasu. Storyline wise, Takayasu might get in for seniority and return to form while Kiribayama might get a reward for coming back from injury.

59.5 is the best I’ve ever done in fantasy. Basically had the Asanoyama of tournaments. A horrible start knocked me out of contention early but a good finish to wind up pretty high up in the standings despite never being a real threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Really great basho even if all my guys let me down tremendously and my mortal enemy took the yusho.

I’m wondering how much Hakuho not even training affected Enho. Something’s got to turn around next tournament.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Happy my strategy of picking names I thought sounded cool led me to 4th place! More happy that it made me more invested in both Tobizaru and Shodai since they were on my teams. Tobizaru is now my favorite sumo dude by far, and I want to buy some of his merch when that happens. I get the impression it isn't immediate on promotion to the top division, but maybe it will be faster considering his performance?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Kenning posted:

The only other teams to boast no losing records were Tiny Bug Child, in second place, and Maigius, although that team was all 8 win records except Asanoyama, meaning it scored solidly in the middle of the pack.
At least my guys were consistent? Thanks for running this.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yay! Super proud of my boys, except for Ichinojo looking extremely average in the dredges of the lower ranking. Onosho is another one to watch out for yall, just throwing that out there for November.

If anyone wants the Goonzeki tag who hasn't gotten it yet, just let me know and I will add it to your profile.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Onosho is another one to watch out for yall, just throwing that out there for November.

I'll be watching out for him to go 2-13 again.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Hell, hit me up for goonzeki. More people into Sumo would be great.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yay! Super proud of my boys, except for Ichinojo looking extremely average in the dredges of the lower ranking. Onosho is another one to watch out for yall, just throwing that out there for November.

If anyone wants the Goonzeki tag who hasn't gotten it yet, just let me know and I will add it to your profile.

For sure slap that tag on me

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Please give me that tag. I was a day late asking last time and missed out.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffdaddy posted:

That would be super cool thank you :D

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Brut posted:

I'll be watching out for him to go 2-13 again.

How dare you!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I want the tag, of course!

But why is it Goonzeki and not Yokogoona/Yokoguna? :)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Chinook posted:

I want the tag, of course!

But why is it Goonzeki and not Yokogoona/Yokoguna? :)

Because the latter is reserved for those who win the fantasy.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Fluffdaddy posted:

I'd love a Goonzeki tag

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is there any word yet on what Kotoshogiku is going to do? He looks done and he hasn't really been able to do his belly bop move for like 2 years. How much prestige and pay difference is there between juryo and makunouchi?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning posted:

The only other teams to boast no losing records were Tiny Bug Child, in second place, and Maigius, although that team was all 8 win records except Asanoyama, meaning it scored solidly in the middle of the pack.

I think my team got all-kachi too, although Itchy and Kagayaki sqeaked by only on the last day. :) Still, three 8-7 records is not gonna win fantasy unless the other two went ham lol.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1310422764075978752

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually pretty stoked that I cannot possibly do worse next time, IS IT SUMO TIME YET

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yes please!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm in a lot of gangs already

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fluffdaddy posted:

i'll take a tag, why not

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Is there any word yet on what Kotoshogiku is going to do? He looks done and he hasn't really been able to do his belly bop move for like 2 years. How much prestige and pay difference is there between juryo and makunouchi?

it's nowhere near as severe as the drop between juryo and makushita. less of a base salary, but it's still a salaried rank with most of the same privileges afforded to the rikshi in it, and from what i've read for an ex ozeki and yusho winner a lot of his pay is based around career bonuses anyway. still, it's common for an injured ex ozeki to simply retire at that point.

on a similar note, how is it handled when a guy like terunofuji drops out of the salaried ranks? obv the loss of certain privileges affected him as much as anyone, but was he really expected to do the heya chores and serve the sekitori like a normal guy in those divisions?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Hell yeah! We called it!

This was a very interesting basho! The huge number of kyujo was a bummer, as was seeing guys like Kotoshogiku and Shohozan on their last legs. On the other hand, the yusho race was super exciting, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from the likes of Tobizaru, Kotoshoho, and even Hoshoryu, who I think did just fine considering all the pressure on him.

Final results:

code:
49	anakha
51	Banana Canada
57.5	bartolimu
44	Beeswax
43	bessantj
37	Cage Kicker
39	Charles Gnarwin
42	Chinook
35.5	Dias
51.5	Diplomat
65	Fluffdaddy
40	Foehammer007
41	Gerund
57.5	GoatSeeGuy
40	ilmucche
59.5	Helianthus Annuus
38	Jobbo_Fett
46.5	Kenning
57	Lid
35	Liquid Communism
49	Lone Goat
47	Maigius
65	MalarkeyToboggan
56	Marching Powder
41	Martytoof
43	Mekchu
59.5	pseudodragon
34.5	QuasiQuack
48	Robviously
36	sivad
45.5	Skjorte
61	Sub Rosa
50	Thauros
62	Tiny Bug Child
41	whats for dinner
This tournament we have...two winners! Congratulations to Fluffdaddy and MalarkeyToboggan. It turns out the tiebreakers I outlined in the rules post don't work in situations like this, where they both had Shodai, and no other tiebreaking events like kinboshi or special prizes. Also no make-koshi! If only Fluffdaddy had correctly predicted the macaron color.

The only other teams to boast no losing records were Tiny Bug Child, in second place, and Maigius, although that team was all 8 win records except Asanoyama, meaning it scored solidly in the middle of the pack. Special shout out to Cage Kicker and Liquid Communism for failing to get a single winning record except for their ozeki pick.

This was a huge fantasy league, 35 people total! I'm looking forward to next time, and I should probably work on improving my spreadsheet some more. Congrats to the joint winners!

thanks for running fantasy Kenning, and congrats to the winners

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Biosys posted:

Shodai vs Tobizaru was a great way to end the yusho and really happy to see Shodai finally win, but still felt for Tobizaru as he walked off the dohyo, looked like he was about to break down :(

it didnt go the way i wanted, but that really was an amazing bout. it was super dicey from start to finish!

Shodai really earned this yusho, excellent sumo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTJR_7f_fHs

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Thanks for running this, Kenning!

Would have gone a lot better for my picks if half my rikishi didnt drop out after the trade deadline!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

anakha posted:

I think my team got all-kachi too, although Itchy and Kagayaki sqeaked by only on the last day. :) Still, three 8-7 records is not gonna win fantasy unless the other two went ham lol.

You're right! With a field this large it's easy to miss stuff. Congrats on all KK, that's hard to do!

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thanks for running fantasy Kenning, and congrats to the winners

Liquid Communism posted:

Thanks for running this, Kenning!

Would have gone a lot better for my picks if half my rikishi didnt drop out after the trade deadline!

Chinook posted:

Thank you for doing this. November can't come quickly enough.

Cage Kicker posted:

Gotta be the best at something! This was so much fun, I super enjoyed my first basho

Cheers everybody! It's cool to see so many people getting into sumo and enjoying the fantasy league. Back before the plague I hosted occasion sumo parties where I'd queue up the basho on the TV and serve sake and onigiri that were quite a hit, so it's nice to also be able to share the fun in a socially distant mode.

The best part about sumo is that we only need to wait 6 more weeks for it to start over again!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

Can I get the tag? Thanks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-SYssc7v0U

does... sumo not have actual trainers? just ceremony and steroids?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sub Rosa posted:

Happy my strategy of picking names I thought sounded cool led me to 4th place! More happy that it made me more invested in both Tobizaru and Shodai since they were on my teams. Tobizaru is now my favorite sumo dude by far, and I want to buy some of his merch when that happens. I get the impression it isn't immediate on promotion to the top division, but maybe it will be faster considering his performance?

Tobizaru is pretty popular in Japan (source: elderly Japanese neighbour) so I'd be surprised if the vendors weren't all over that. Again, John Gunning can help you out if you're after a towel or something.

Lid posted:

The oyakata who owns the heya is theoretically the head coach and directs training, though it may not always pan out this way. Other oyakata may work at a heya as assistant coaches, and are probably more hands on. Kisenosato has kept some weight on and steps into the training dohyo from time to time. As far as I'm aware, they may also use outside personnel for weight training and individual rikishi may hire their own trainer. Kotoshogiku had a personal trainer during his hey day and Ishiura often posts on social media with fight and weight trainers outside sumo.

That said, the majority of the morning workout is going to be the traditional sumo exercises, which are pretty loving tough if you try them at home.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 28, 2020

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I can't believe I won in my first ever fantasy basho. I wanna say I knew what I was doing but I clearly did not.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Don't we have a yokogoona tag for winners of the fantasy basho? If so I would like that one.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lid posted:

There's an Oyakata sitting off-camera in those scenes watching them train or at least one of the senior wrestlers for the basic morning practice stuff.

Overall your exact quality of training probably varies pretty wildly depending on which stable you're at.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Brut posted:

There's an Oyakata sitting off-camera in those scenes watching them train or at least one of the senior wrestlers for the basic morning practice stuff.

Overall your exact quality of training probably varies pretty wildly depending on which stable you're at.

ok but like this training just seems... there must be a more scientific way to train sumo than this. Has there been any look into like physical trainers rather than these very old methods?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

tachiai.org had a Kachikoshi Bingo game this basho in collaboration with another site. That was a lot of fun, too, and wholly random. I had a couple almost-bingo lines going, but didn't win. :argh: Might be a fun thing to do alongside the fantasy picks next time, or "unofficially" at home (which I will definitely be doing).

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Brut posted:

Because the latter is reserved for those who win the fantasy.

drat, I didn't get mine for wining the first fantasy Basho in this thread. Did t realize they were still happening and was just happy with goonzeki gang.

Great Basho though, all around. Gonna be interesting to see how they push promotions with the yokozuna situation being what it currently is. Super excited for November!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I don’t know where that tag is but I’ll check later

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

General Goonzeki Gang tag

Illustrious Basho Yūshō tag for the winner (the Japanese says Basho Yūshō jfyi)

I don't know how to check if they're acceptable gang tag sizes or not.

I'm off to open mat for the afternoon so if there's any changes needed just let me know. I'll PM Jerusalem once we feel the tags are good or not.

^Here's the relevant post.^

Lid posted:

ok but like this training just seems... there must be a more scientific way to train sumo than this. Has there been any look into like physical trainers rather than these very old methods?

Well the video is just their morning workout, most of that is for general fitness/stamina, and I think everyone in the footage were really low ranked guys who may not all be taking their sumo equally seriously. Lots of the higher ranked guys (Makushita+, typically) also do lots of weight training on regular gym equipment and freeweights. Back when there was Jungyo (Sumo tour) there would always be people using resistance bands for practice.

I guess I'm not sure what you might mean by "scientific", can you elaborate?

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 28, 2020

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I will get on getting this uploaded for this afternoon

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lid posted:

The way you are thinking, probably no. The only people involved in hands on training are the grumpy old men of the JSA which probably really hurts the quality of coaching. You’re getting talented wrestlers as coaches, but they have no opportunity to actually learn how to coach before getting thrown into the deep end. Like Kisenosato is currently getting some sort of sports science degree and that’s seen as a bit of a weird choice.

The main things that a stable could probably use would be dedicated strength and conditioning coaches and nutritionists. All the drills they do seem to be based around the way things have always been done rather than dudes with backgrounds in physical training or sports science actually building out personalized workout plans. And they just eat Chanko nabe cooked by the newbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Diplomat posted:

Yes, that's why Terutsuyoshi is the best.
Terutsuyoshi is merely the latest pretender to the throne that’s sat empty since Takamisakari retired
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R5RjJKSBYw4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eiy_bMv1Wts