Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

shut up blegum posted:

I'm a loving husband :colbert:
But no, I inherited everything when I was one and juuuuust managed to hold on until adulthood. So now I want to get a heir asap, best not to anger my Amazonian wife either.

Pussywhipped by the wrong pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sankis posted:

We captured the pope repeatedly and it didn't do much of anything. I'm not actually sure why.

We did end up winning, though it took like 40 years. I've been ruling the Empire of Jerusalem (which is basically the 'Outremer' empire, just my own custom religion) for hundreds of years at this point and It's almost 1400. Playing as an emperor is really tedious. I wish I could tell the game that I don't care who is loving who unless its my wife or son or something. There's soooooooooooo many pop ups about people I couldn't give less of a poo poo about.

CK3 is really improved over CK2 in a lot of ways but I think I've burnt myself out. I think I'm done with the game until it gets some DLC.

What it really needs is a pop-up blocker or something. When I'm mass ransoming 50 prisoners I don't want to hear their parting shot, just let it go to voicemail. Really wants me to do mass execute instead so I don't have to deal with the pop-up.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Imnimo on reddit posted:

This is an analysis of the life span and cause of death of all characters in a 600-year-long game of CK3. I wrote a simple (in other words, lazy) script to pull out birth dates, death dates, and cause of death for all characters in the save file. CK3 assigns each character a single cause of death, regardless of how many contributing conditions they may have had. Each potential cause of death is given a priority value, which roughly corresponds to how severe it is. When a character dies, they're assigned the highest priority cause of death that applies to them. So if you have bubonic plague and also depression, your cause of death will be plague, even though both health penalties contributed.

I sorted all the causes of death into a few categories to keep things manageable. They are:

Childbirth: a mother who dies giving birth
Dungeon: death from being imprisoned
Genetic: Any genetic health penalty, including gigantism, inbred, etc.
Homocide: Murder plots, executions, torture, and duels.
Misc: Mostly event-related causes, such as being devoured by carp (the cause of death of 1% of all dwarf characters!)
Stress and Mental: stress and coping mechanisms like flagellant, as well as suicide and depression.
Injury: Wounded, maimed, etc.
Disease: Sickly infants to bubonic plague.
War: Battle, raids and sieges. Note that wounds received in battle fall under the Injury category.
Natural causes: Old age and natural health decay.

The horizontal axis of the chart shows the age of death, and the vertical axis shows the frequency of death at that age. The segments for each cause of death are stacked on top of one another. You can't see it because of the scale, but a few characters lived to be over 100. All of them are mayors, and I believe there's a bug causing generated mayors to be too old and too healthy for their age.

sullat posted:

What it really needs is a pop-up blocker or something. When I'm mass ransoming 50 prisoners I don't want to hear their parting shot, just let it go to voicemail. Really wants me to do mass execute instead so I don't have to deal with the pop-up.

I was hoping for a 10 > 1 mod or something, where if multiples of the same popup appear they merge and just say "x6."

Or even better would be geographically based notifications, so if you're looking at the paper map you see the popup appear over the location of the event.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 27, 2020

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

I was hoping for a 10 > 1 mod or something, where if multiples of the same popup appear they merge and just say "x6."

Or even better would be geographically based notifications, so if you're looking at the paper map you see the popup appear over the location of the event.

Ransomes don't need a confirmation popup at all when they accept the ransom. I wish you could customise which messages appear where.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The inability to adjust basically any message settings in this game is kind of bonkers, especially when its predecessor and other Paradox grand strategy games have such granular options for what messages would be displayed, and how

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

poverty goat posted:

I conquered england and scotland as ireland and created the empire title, but on succession I ended up having to cede the kingdom of scotland to some chucklefuck, who is now king of scotland but still my vassal because I'm the emperor. The question is: how can I get the king of scotland title back? I can claim it, and that pisses off the current holder a lot, but there's nothing I can do to assert it. I can't revoke it, because it says it'll leave him with titles and no land even though he has a bunch of counties, and I can't go to war with him either. Do I have to troll him into revolting?
Yes, there's something seriously wrong with the “can't revoke” calculations. It seems to always count from the top rather than the bottom: you can't revoke a duke's title because for some reason that would leave him without a duchy (which is the whole point), but you can revoke just about everything underneath it. The same seems to go with higher-tier titles where, even as you pull swipe more and more lower titles from a ruler, his vassals will give up theirs to ensure that he always has something new at the tier you just revoked.

There should be zero blockers from revoking any and all duchies from a duke, even if it's their last one. Same with kings and counts. Likewise, if you swipe all holdings below their top tier, this shouldn't magically give them new holdings that someone else own — they should just be left with a worthless title and no way of backing it up. The vassals shouldn't go “oh no, my liege, have my barony/county/duchy”, but rather “no land huh… well, my liege, let me introduce you to my dear friend and colleague ‘Independence Faction’”.

sullat posted:

What it really needs is the six-by-three-tier message filtering system that CK2 had, where specific types of messages can be assigned to different levels of attention-grabbing for different types of people they relate to.

Yes, please pause and pop-up whenever one of my holdings finish building so I can assign some new work to it. No, please neither pause nor pop up when lowborn chucklefuck #32 commits adultery with no-name baron #418 forty countries over. I understand that you're very proud of your hook system and want me to collect as many of them as possible, game, but these people just. Don't. Matter. :argh:

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

So i built a university like 50 years ago but I don't see any pop-ups about it when my kids start growing up. Is that normal?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Communist Walrus posted:

The inability to adjust basically any message settings in this game is kind of bonkers, especially when its predecessor and other Paradox grand strategy games have such granular options for what messages would be displayed, and how
In CK2, I remember spending 1 hour managing the setting to get them right and it never ever really working like i wanted it to work, so i am not sure we lost that much gameplay with this option disseapearing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

poverty goat posted:

e: it seems like inherited traits are kind of broken. I got a genius king early on and it seems like the trait passes to every child close to 100% of the time, even before investing dynasty points, and now my dynasty is overflowing with beautiful hale geniuses

Are you always marrying other geniuses? There's a 100% chance to pass on traits you share, which makes eugenics absurdly powerful when combined with the nonsensical categorization of genius as a congenital trait.

They should nerf quick/intelligent/genius to +1/2/3, make genius much more rare and drop it as a congenital trait so it only increases the chance of children having a trait in the same category.

The dynasty perks are really only useful for adding traits when you can't find a spouse with an exact match.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chalks posted:

Ransomes don't need a confirmation popup at all when they accept the ransom. I wish you could customise which messages appear where.

Yeah exactly, the post-ransom popup is completely useless (and broken), it shouldn't exist.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

eXXon posted:

Are you always marrying other geniuses? There's a 100% chance to pass on traits you share, which makes eugenics absurdly powerful when combined with the nonsensical categorization of genius as a congenital trait.

It was a congenital trait in ck2, it just had a tiny chance to pass on. I have fond memories of a ck2 game years ago where I rolled a custom genius manwhore irish duke, married a genius right away and tried to have as many geniuses of my dynasty, legitimate or otherwise, as I could so it's funny to me that my first full game of Ck3 I filled Brittania with geniuses of my dynasty. By the end I'd stopped filtering potential spouses by inheritable traits because all the good, available ones were of my dynasty and I kept almost marrying cousins.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 27, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wanted to give a try with Savo after Ireland's tutorial game. Welp, not soon after start Pohjanmaa gets formed? and they want to subjugate me. Lots of men vs my puny 600 strength army.... poor fort level etc. What to do. What to do. Form alliances?! Some Guoládat guys next to Pohjanmaa allied me when I betrothed my 4 year old son. I have two younger sons too which I can try to marry for alliances. Can't really do much else.

While at it I noticed my eldest 14 year old son is.. possessed... I guess an "accident" has to happen to him?

Edit: gave a "slow" son in Matrilinear marriage to Finland. They are not very strong but better than nothing, and with a wife and 2 concubines my man seems to be producing childen at a steady clip.

Edit2: got three allies now around Pohjanmaa. Maybe they won't be of much help but it should be better than nothing? Don't have girls to marry to Nyland so can't ally with them yet.

Maybe I should run to the woods with my ruler and leave Olavinlinna undefended? And go to deeper forest to reinforce my troops with men-at-arms while Pohjanmaa sieges Olavinlinna? I can't take them directly without losing...

What a mess. I should have created these alliances earlier to stop enemies around me even thinking about war.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 27, 2020

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This is really interesting. Suggests that the "fewer complications from pregnancy" 3000-renown dynasty thing is indeed as bad as it seems, since childbirth looks pretty safe overall. Also, it looks like you have to be really unlucky to have a player character die unintentionally before 50 or so, since war and injury are the vast majority of deaths before then and it's not too hard to stay away from those if you want to.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE IN THIS GAME

I have been running around the southern Finland with my army, 2 enemy stacks from Pohjanmaa, Angermanland and Aaretje have been following me. While doing that an Ally army from Guoladat had time to come to help me. Thanks! But then some Ingvar or whatever comes to raid me in Käkisalmi. We start working on the raiders together first while other enemy armies are still on their merry trip.

Then those assholes in Karelia wardec me! Sure! Whatever! Bring it on... just :goon: me thank you very much.

I need more alliances! I just got one more child from my trusted (secret) lover and concubine Liekko, so uh maybe I can marry him off too. Whatever to keep my High Chiefdom of Savo alive and not under the thumb of some goddamn lazy farmers from the northwest.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 27, 2020

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Now that I've gotten half of the achievements, I'm looking to play with some mods. The only mod I ever tried in CK2 was Game of Thrones.

This looks like a good start.
https://twitter.com/ProudBavaria/status/1309567016383246342?s=20

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If this game had old-style pop up and pause customization options I would be running it at max speed all the time

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

So this is weird:

I'm a Feudal Zoroastrian duke, 867 start. All of my cities (even the ones I started with) are listed as Clan government, which is weird enough but apparently that means they don't give any taxes? Why do they have a different government? Does that mean Muslim rulers just don't get any money from their cities?

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
hot drat i’d really appreciate a character finder in the starting lobby

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks, that helps a lot!

I don't why this game is so difficult for me to figure out when I somehow managed to get through this hurdle with the even more insular and overcomplicated HoI4.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I'm at high crown authority now and still routinely get the "realm will lose land when vassal dies" popup. Everyone in here says it's bugged and doesn't work right but I'm not sure if I've actually lost any land when these people finally die. I haven't noticed losing control of any counties, but I also have a big empire with pretty bad border gore so it just might not be that obvious to begin with. One duchess's heir was some count in the HRE so I used the console to kill her and see what would happen. Despite clearly having this HRE guy as her heir to all her titles, all her stuff went to some random unlanded guy of her dynasty who stayed my vassal. So I didn't actually lose anything even though the popup said I was going to.

Either way, it's pretty annoying to have the game tell me I'm going to lose a bunch of poo poo when that may or may not actually happen. I don't like using the console regularly, so I guess I'll stick with the usual strategy of revoking and/or killing until everything is safely in my realm and I don't have to worry about losing random stuff. But inevitably I'll end up with another female ruler with screwed up succession who is too old to have kids, or some 3-year old whose heir is a neighboring duke. Not that I really mind murdering all these people, but their deaths might have been avoided in the first place.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I try my best to roleplay, but now that my guy died and his heir, it turns out, is loving his sister, I don’t know whether to break it off or lean into it, I’m not fully happy with either choice weirdly enough

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Is there any regular multiplayer going on? Alternatively, could I get an invite to the mapgoons discord?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

tqilamknbrd posted:

hot drat i’d really appreciate a character finder in the starting lobby

This would be so useful.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
God drat, waging war and ransoming of all the prisoners is so lucrative. Even more if it's during a holy war and you get a big bag of gold from the pope on top of that.
I was up to 87% in some random war over a county and I noticed the dude hired a ton of mercenaries. I split my armies and raided like 3 more baronies before the army got to me and then white peaced out of there. Ransomed everyone and got like 5-600 gold lmao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I try my best to roleplay, but now that my guy died and his heir, it turns out, is loving his sister, I don’t know whether to break it off or lean into it, I’m not fully happy with either choice weirdly enough

Lean into it. Let the sister fucker be the rear end in a top hat who imprisons all his vassals. Forces higher taxes kills all his leiges and betrays his alliances, and his son can be the guy who benefits

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I like the eulogy the game gives your player after they die. My king died right after getting the Diplomat final trait, and the eulogy talked about his dedication to finding solutions via peace.

Then you hover over the stats and see I fought in 13 offensive wars.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I got a little bored of the North Korea run I had after pinching most of France away in Holy Wars for Duchies, so I saved the game as a fork, and hit switch character to observe. I let the AI dole out the titles, all 240 of them, and go at x6 speed. When it blew past the end date I was giddy because I didn't realize I had that turned off, and here's the Dynasty ~150 years or so later. When I let go of the wheel, I wasn't sure it would all hold together but the AI gave a ton of titles out to dynasty members and it all worked out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Okay, this is a new one. I am Emperor of "Greater Brittany" a custom empire I founded that includes the kingdoms of Brittany, Aquitaine, Asturias, and Andalusa. I essentially control all of Western France and the Iberian Peninsula. I am Catholic as are all of my major vassals.d

The pope just declared a crusade for the kingdom of Asturias. It is de jure part of my empire and again, it is run by a Catholic. I am asked to be a participant by the Pope. Am I going to somehow lose this kingdom as an independent entity once this crusade ends? Looking at it right now, I hold the title and there is only one de jure county not under my control, and it's controlled by the Umayyids. Am I going to lose this kingdom when we inevitably win? (I'm basically unstoppable at this point, and the Umayyids have been getting mulched by holy wars thanks to me and my vassals.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ice Fist posted:

Okay, this is a new one. I am Emperor of "Greater Brittany" a custom empire I founded that includes the kingdoms of Brittany, Aquitaine, Asturias, and Andalusa. I essentially control all of Western France and the Iberian Peninsula. I am Catholic as are all of my major vassals.d

The pope just declared a crusade for the kingdom of Asturias. It is de jure part of my empire and again, it is run by a Catholic. I am asked to be a participant by the Pope. Am I going to somehow lose this kingdom as an independent entity once this crusade ends? Looking at it right now, I hold the title and there is only one de jure county not under my control, and it's controlled by the Umayyids. Am I going to lose this kingdom when we inevitably win? (I'm basically unstoppable at this point, and the Umayyids have been getting mulched by holy wars thanks to me and my vassals.

I’d imagine that that one Umayyad county will end up owned by the crusade beneficiary under a title like “Crusader Asturias”

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ugh. loving pope. Holy sites are under the control of the Byzantine empire and protestant religions, but nope, we gotta grab that one loving county in Spain that is dejure part of a kingdom already owned by a Catholic empire and also, and this imo is the best part, was already occupied in a war for that county by one of my vassals looking to expand his lands. I entered the war, and all of my vassals armies became hostile. Not red hostile, but orange hostile. My vassal thought he could take my professional army and marched his guys in and got slaughtered.

The loving pope has done it again.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’d imagine that that one Umayyad county will end up owned by the crusade beneficiary under a title like “Crusader Asturias”

Double post, but nope - the crusade ended and I was given control of the county. So my worries were for naught, but the pope was loving dumb. My poor vassals got caught in the middle, I destroyed like three of my dukes armies beacuse they were all allied trying to get this county for themselves before the pope rode in and said it was a crusade.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Does anyone have a problem of their inlanders siblings getting married and then living in separate courts from their spouses? I have a bunch of sisters and female cousins who are not having children because they’re living in different duchies. I just need my family to start loving.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Trevor Hale posted:

Does anyone have a problem of their inlanders siblings getting married and then living in separate courts from their spouses? I have a bunch of sisters and female cousins who are not having children because they’re living in different duchies. I just need my family to start loving.

Two things.

1) When landed and unlanded characters get married, the unlanded one comes to the court of the landed one. But if both characters are landed, they stay at their own courts. So your sisters and cousins must have titles, and you're marrying them to men who also have titles.

2) Being at different courts doesn't actually prevent loving. loving transcends time and space. Neither wind nor rain nor pilgrimage nor military campaign will keep these fuckers from their appointed rounds.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also Paradox please no.

NO

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Two things.

1) When landed and unlanded characters get married, the unlanded one comes to the court of the landed one. But if both characters are landed, they stay at their own courts. So your sisters and cousins must have titles, and you're marrying them to men who also have titles.

2) Being at different courts doesn't actually prevent loving. loving transcends time and space. Neither wind nor rain nor pilgrimage nor military campaign will keep these fuckers from their appointed rounds.

Unlanded courtiers will sometimes wander off and stay at some random foreign court. You can see under the court tab if you have any wandering courtiers. My heir's wife was off at some German count's court for a while. Neither of them were landed. But yeah, people don't actually need to be in the same place to have kids, so it shouldn't really matter.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What the gently caress? Then my family is just....really not horny.

Also: RIP to the brother in law I murdered because he wasn’t in the same city as my sister.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is there any benefit to moving my capital to the De Jure capital of my empire?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the de jure capitals of your primary titles are always inherited by your primary heir

say you start as Alfred of Wessex. If you form England, but dont move to london, you run the risk of the split giving your primary heir the duchy of Middlesex and the county of London, losing wessex to your 2nd heir.

e: actually in ck3 its the REALM capital, so I dont know! Ignore me until I make sure how this all hashes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

As far as I can tell, the only mechanical impact of the "de jure capital" is that you can move your capital there regardless of the normal cooldown. But it could be that there's some hidden effect somewhere.