Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

It’s weird that Rene Herse doesn’t have a knobbed 650 38 tire. Maybe they’ll get to that size next.
Slacker hasn't even updated that size to a tubeless bead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

rope kid posted:

BTW, I'm still trying to find a good 38(ish)x650b mud tire for my Trek. I have 42mm Babyshoe Pass tires on it at the moment but I'm nervous about putting 42mm Pumpkin Ridge tires on because I think the knobs will get too close to the fender. Anyone know of something good in the 38-40mm range? 650b pls.

Looks like schwalbe has some g-one variants that start at 650b x 40mm. My 60mm g-one speeds are undersized by a couple of millimeters.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
still waiting for Rene Herse to honor the old rear end bike guys with a 27'' release :mad:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

still waiting for Rene Herse to honor the old rear end bike guys with a 27'' release :mad:
I'm sure you can figure out a way to move your brake pads down 4mm.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Ones I'm aware of, ranked in order of my personal biased ranking preference:

Conti Terra Speed in 650x35 or 650x40 (you have no idea how much it hurts me to rank Conti first)
Maxxis Rambler 650x40
WTB Resolute 650x42 (is this too wide?)
Schwalbe G-One Bite 650x38

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Don't know what you mean by mud but Schwalbe G-one all-rounds come in 38mm and they have served me pretty well on uhh wet dirt and clay, not like actual mud though. They're fast too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Didn't even make it to the ski hill tonight.

Guess I could have

Light and motion taz 1200 seems pretty good.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kimbo305 posted:

It’s weird that Rene Herse doesn’t have a knobbed 650 38 tire. Maybe they’ll get to that size next.

This reminded me, does anyone made a semi-knobby 26x47mm - ish tire? Something like the WTB Byway? I know there are Gravelkings in 26x2.1, and Rene Hers has the Naches Pass in 26x1.8, but those are prettymuch slicks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

frogbs posted:

This reminded me, does anyone made a semi-knobby 26x47mm - ish tire? Something like the WTB Byway? I know there are Gravelkings in 26x2.1, and Rene Hers has the Naches Pass in 26x1.8, but those are prettymuch slicks.

Kenda Kross 1.95”/49mm
Kujo Bulldozer 1.75”/44mm
Continental Tour Ride 1.75”/44mm

It would be cool if they made the Byways in 26”.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gray bike on gray gravel on a gray day. 28mm conti GPs is proper gravel tires right?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yes.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
If you can get through gravel on them, they're acceptable tires, even if there are far, far better options.

Took a detour on my road ride last weekend to check out this trail.

I'm generally not afraid to work a little bit harder and accept that I'm risking it a little bit but I had a hell of a time with the majority of it. Ended up being about a mile of semi-deep sand.

As you can see, 25c Vittoria Corsas running at 100/110psi like to fishtail. It was a fun slog to get to the end.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Off road road biking was the original grabble. You’re both doing it right.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I just got back from Joshua Tree, where I took a short ride on Geology Tour Road. Pretty sandy, very washboardy. This was my first real gravel ride on this bike/these tires (SimWorks Super Yummys in 26x2.2"). Once I aired them down a bit, they were great.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Fuckin love that Star Trek/Dr Seuss landscape.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Goddamn dude. That sounds outstanding.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well after reading, googling and thinking I think i have two finalist for Gravel Biek.

1) Cannondale Topstone 1 - Tubeless tire ready, ok colors
2) Specialized Diverge Elite E5 - Can go 650b if ya want, better colors

The Topstone has been on my mind more though... But what ya guys think?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I think not having the tubeless option on the stock wheels is pretty lame for the Specialized. I'm surprised by that.

Given the pricepoint you're shopping at, my guess is that you're unlikely to want to replace the wheels in the near term (if I'm wrong... just wait until you can afford to buy what you want once instead of upgrading, it's better and cheaper). Based on that, get the one that can do tubeless - while I think it can be a toss-up on the road, there's a reason everyone does it for gravel.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

ElMaligno posted:

Well after reading, googling and thinking I think i have two finalist for Gravel Biek.

1) Cannondale Topstone 1 - Tubeless tire ready, ok colors
2) Specialized Diverge Elite E5 - Can go 650b if ya want, better colors

The Topstone has been on my mind more though... But what ya guys think?

Cannondale's color is lame but it's a significantly better build than the Specialized. 11-speed 105/GRX versus 10-speed Tiagra. And if you ride even relatively smooth gravel roads you'll be much happier with the clutch and GRX. Tubeless-ready on the Cannondale versus #tubelife on the Specialized. It's not even close, buy the Cannondale.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I like to be cautious with cannondale and double check that the bike doesn't use any of their innovations that might make sourcing parts or finding people that know how to work on it a challenge. Glancing at the spec sheet doesn't raise any alarm for me.

Do you have anyplace nearby where you can test ride? I have definitely had experience where a bike looked great on paper but just didn't quite feel right for me.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

At that pricepoint I'd get the Ribble CGR-AL, personally.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

I think not having the tubeless option on the stock wheels is pretty lame for the Specialized. I'm surprised by that.

Given the pricepoint you're shopping at, my guess is that you're unlikely to want to replace the wheels in the near term (if I'm wrong... just wait until you can afford to buy what you want once instead of upgrading, it's better and cheaper). Based on that, get the one that can do tubeless - while I think it can be a toss-up on the road, there's a reason everyone does it for gravel.

My pricepoint is up to $2500 but I want an aluminum bike, and those two bikes just hit everything i want as they would be my first gravel/allrounder bike.

CopperHound posted:

I like to be cautious with cannondale and double check that the bike doesn't use any of their innovations that might make sourcing parts or finding people that know how to work on it a challenge. Glancing at the spec sheet doesn't raise any alarm for me.

Do you have anyplace nearby where you can test ride? I have definitely had experience where a bike looked great on paper but just didn't quite feel right for me.

Not really, closest place i can test ride is 2 hours away (i live in coastal Oregon and closet bike shop with a topstone is in Portland). The local bike shops dont have any, but i could try out a Surly Midnight Special or Straggler if I wanted to :v:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

poo poo, if you can go up to $2500, the Ribble CGR-AL with full ultegra at $2100 is pretty sweet. You could even swing for the custom paint and still be within budget.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

poo poo, if you can go up to $2500, the Ribble CGR-AL with full ultegra at $2100 is pretty sweet. You could even swing for the custom paint and still be within budget.

full ultrega ribble comes up to 3,000, full 105 ribble comes up to 2,400 and full tiagra comes up to 1,800. dunno if im doing anything wrong with their bike builder

also im really hesitant in ordering something overseas, last time i did that i had to wait a full year for the thing to come state side and it was a single front motorcycle wheel and not a full bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

full ultrega ribble comes up to 3,000, full 105 ribble comes up to 2,400 and full tiagra comes up to 1,800. dunno if im doing anything wrong with their bike builder

also im really hesitant in ordering something overseas, last time i did that i had to wait a full year for the thing to come state side and it was a single front motorcycle wheel and not a full bike.

I think you might have something set wrong in your localization options. I know two people who have bought the 105 version of that bike in the last six months and paid the listed price (~$1,500 USD, slightly variable depending on exchange rate) plus roughly $150 USD shipping.

I think a goon in the main bike thread bought one, as well - it's not super fast, roughly 2 months lead time, but given availability on 2021 models of all bikes it may still be competitive.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

I think you might have something set wrong in your localization options. I know two people who have bought the 105 version of that bike in the last six months and paid the listed price (~$1,500 USD, slightly variable depending on exchange rate) plus roughly $150 USD shipping.

I think a goon in the main bike thread bought one, as well - it's not super fast, roughly 2 months lead time, but given availability on 2021 models of all bikes it may still be competitive.

Yeah, the website was showing my its prices in Autralian dollarydoos instead of US dollars. The Ultrega now comes to 2000

Edit: After obsessing about it for a while here are my thoughts
1) Cannondale Topstone 1 - Tubeless tire ready, ok colors, can test ride somewhat locally, basically what I want on my bike
2) Ribble CGR-AL - I can make this bike into whatever the gently caress i want, i am a god and hubris will be my downfall, but i am between sizes and i cannot test ride it.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 8, 2020

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Yeah, the website was showing my its prices in Autralian dollarydoos instead of US dollars. The Ultrega now comes to 2000
2) Ribble CGR-AL - I can make this bike into whatever the gently caress i want, i am a god and hubris will be my downfall, but i am between sizes and i cannot test ride it.

when this is the case I find usually it's a matter of, do you want to feel "in" the bike or "on" the bike. It's a subtle feel in handling. I'm 5'11.5" and tend to be between sizes too–you can likely make the bike fit regardless

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dealing with mail-order when you aren't certain of sizing is tricky. The best thing to do is to compare the geometry to a bike you know works for you - that only really works if you've already got a bike of similar style dialed in.
When between sizes the general guidance I'm familiar with is: size down for cross (racing) bikes, size up for road bikes. Even though gravel bikes are conflated with cross bikes a lot, I think I'd put them as closer to road bikes for geometry purposes - the reason for going smaller for cx is to err on the side of twitchier steering and stiffer frame (not really what most folks are looking for in a gravel frame).
Maybe the best thing to do is test ride the Topstone. If you fall in love with it, then it's not like it's a *bad* value by any means, and then you're not waiting two months. If it's fine but you don't fall in love with it, then you've got a really good data point to decide sizing.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Tigren posted:

Mountain bikes and bikers seem to totally trash trails. I say keep them to specifically designed MTB trails and no where else.

Hikers and horses trash trails harder than a MTB or gravel bike ever could lol.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

Dealing with mail-order when you aren't certain of sizing is tricky. The best thing to do is to compare the geometry to a bike you know works for you - that only really works if you've already got a bike of similar style dialed in.
When between sizes the general guidance I'm familiar with is: size down for cross (racing) bikes, size up for road bikes. Even though gravel bikes are conflated with cross bikes a lot, I think I'd put them as closer to road bikes for geometry purposes - the reason for going smaller for cx is to err on the side of twitchier steering and stiffer frame (not really what most folks are looking for in a gravel frame).
Maybe the best thing to do is test ride the Topstone. If you fall in love with it, then it's not like it's a *bad* value by any means, and then you're not waiting two months. If it's fine but you don't fall in love with it, then you've got a really good data point to decide sizing.

Yeah i will test ride the Topstone, also there is a Jamis Renegade S3 of my size in the local bikeshop so i will try that too...

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 12, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It was rainy and windy all day but in the afternoon it seemed like there were some little windows of clear skies so I decided I should get out. A friend is putting up some routes every week and the current one was a loop off a cool dirt road that goes along the river. I left not confident I'd actually do the loop due to time and weather but headed that direction and I had it on my garmin.

The south side road, looking back toward town

I was going the other direction but the picture works better this way.

Looking clear where I want to go so let's do it

Clark fork river

Not the main road anymore and past a gate so it's just me and the kitties

I did bring bear spray and have a timber bell (that broke)

More open and going up. This was annoyingly steep with 40x32

The top, I think I'm going down there

Oh, this is the way?

On the way down I got a front puncture. Like an idiot, I tried to plug it despite having forgotten my pump and only having a co2. So that didn't work, and I wound up with about 8 psi in a tube. Babied it down, walked over rockier parts, made it to the road. Oh and I had to cross this when it was like 40 degrees out

Managed to not get my feet completely wet. Then got a couple miles down the road before pinch flatting (I was seriously doubting the ability to make it all the way home on that). Had service, called for a ride, walked for awhile and ate licorice. It was fully dark by the time I got picked up, but I did have lights and a jacket and gloves and expected to be out after dark. Just not on foot.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 12, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My goto panaracers are out of stock at QBP and JBI. I'm tempted to try the 650x40 Teravail Cannonball in tanwall. Any of you have an experience with them?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

rope kid posted:

I just got back from Joshua Tree, where I took a short ride on Geology Tour Road. Pretty sandy, very washboardy. This was my first real gravel ride on this bike/these tires (SimWorks Super Yummys in 26x2.2"). Once I aired them down a bit, they were great.

Yeah yeah, bieks, gravel all that good stuff, but imma need you to be making a post (or twelve) about that westy over in AI pronto. That thing is minty. :flashfap:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 14, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Hikers and horses trash trails harder than a MTB or gravel bike ever could lol.

Eh, horses yes, hikers less than MTBs I think, judging from the trails around me. You can really see the ruts, braking bumps, and other various holes in the trail develop from the mountain bikes.
That said the solution is just to work with them to do trail maintenance.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The argument about hikers vs riders is that if there are puddles usually a bike will blast right through it (assuming they reasonably know the trail) vs hikers usually circling around puddles creating wider spots. Definitely agree on trail maintenance being important especially for multi-use.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The argument about hikers vs riders is that if there are puddles usually a bike will blast right through it (assuming they reasonably know the trail) vs hikers usually circling around puddles creating wider spots. Definitely agree on trail maintenance being important especially for multi-use.

Cyclists are really bad at riding through mud on trails IME.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Cyclists are really bad at riding through mud on trails IME.

this is a fact

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Trail design and local climate have a big effect on how much wear or damage a mtb will cause. Good drainage is a big one as it will keep the trail from being too muddy and that helps for all users. Things like grade reversals going into corners helps prevent brake bumps from forming because you are going slightly up into the corner and then have more traction and gravity helping you slow down. Also, having the trail too narrow and with off camber corners tends to result in the edge of the bench getting eroded and the trail widened from people not being able to stay on it.

With something steep and downhill specific like you might find in a bike park, wear and damage from bikes (and water runoff) might just be expected in order to make the trail more fun. With multi-use trails on public land, stuff tends to get toned down so that it lasts longer at the expense of "fun" features.

All that said, horses cause way more damage and wear than bicycles. Last week I was on a trail where the bed was sunk down like a whole foot from horse traffic, which made it difficult to ride because you were hitting your feet on the sides. The result is that people are riding and walking outside of the rut, causing widening and basically 2 extra parallel trails. That's also a hard fix. You would need to add material to fill the rut. On a related note I've had people think that a sunken down trail bed is a big rut and caused by mountain bikes. that's not how it works.

Anyway, all trails are going to need occasional maintenance regardless of who's using them, and mtbers are pretty good at getting out and doing work.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2396926/trail-runners-are-lazy-parasites

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 14, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Electric grav riding? Say it ain't so!

A few weeks ago I was up at Acadia National Park. They have an extensive network of gravel carriage trails where you can ride bikes, including Class 1 ebikes. I rented a Specialized Turbo Como from a shop in Bar Harbor and had some fun.

It was great fun. I can't recommend Acadia enough if you're from one of the Safe States.

I decided I hadn't had enough, so I took my personal bike up the Old Croton Aqueduct trail the next week. This is a weird New York state park that just kinda cuts through people's back yards following the path of a disused aqueduct.

All in all, some great riding. Lovely break from tooling around Manhattan dodging taxi cabs. In closing, class 1 electric bikes (at least) should count as bicycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Whose game for some relentless climbing complete with the possibility of riding off a ravine or getting struck by lightning?

This does look like an incredible ride that I’m going to try to do whenever I’m able to get back in Durango.

https://www.rodeo-labs.com/2017/12/30/risk-reward-black-bear-pass/