Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Inverse kinematics = lostech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Ah great, some inverse kinematics for 50-person per server "MMO". NPCs standing on chairs will align their ankles with chairs.

Edit:
https://i.imgur.com/erDzTkM.mp4

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 27, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Not Pictured: Chris Roberts in time out in the corner with a soiled diaper.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 27, 2020

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Armadillo Tank posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/friedrichbode/status/1306547605678305282

Going to lose myplace in the thread but one of those filthy leavers is now a dev at ubi doing vr now.

CIG is just a jobs program for developers who’d rather be anywhere else. It didn’t start out this way but it’s been this way for years now.

They get in, build a portfolio on the backers’ dimes, hit some obligatory fan events and pretend they’re thrilled about all the great secret stuff they’re working on, then they eventually put feelers out for actual gamedev job opportunities working on real games at legitimate studios. One going away pub crawl and tweet later, they’re gone and soon to be forgotten.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
And that is essentially what Crobbear was saying in the article I linked from 1997 about his former work with Origin.

The man hasn't improved an inch since and he absolved himself from all blame.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Armadillo Tank posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/friedrichbode/status/1306547605678305282

Going to lose myplace in the thread but one of those filthy leavers is now a dev at ubi doing vr now.

well least he will get to actually make games now.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Kevin costner not Russel crowe,but i think both of them are nutcases anyway so...

right thanks.

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Is anyone else just... bored when playing SC but enjoys hearing about updates?

Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat I am. Long term backer, concierge, PTU tester, etc. I've realized that while I check this subreddit almost every day, and consume all the weekly videos and posts from CIG, I just don't actually care to play the game much. PTU tests sure. Maybe even a couple hours of the new patch. After that I just kind of drift away from actually playing the game.
Anyone else find more joy in just lurking then playing? I'm not sure if it's just long term burnout , the more instant gratification of single player games or games like PS2 but I just don't have a drive to log in much.
Maybe icache/global persistence or server meshing will get me back in, but this whole year my interest in the game has waned even though I like hearing about the updates. Anyone else feeling similar?

:( I feel exactly the same. It just feels too shallow and it doesn't help that you risk losing any progress to bugs and crashes. It just feels more like a tech demo than an actual game. I really hope they can add more depth sometime in the next decade. And yes, I know it's an alpha.

:ohdear:

id be bored too if i could play a more complete expirence with a half broken Gmod addon.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pixelate posted:

:reddit: Almost 1 year since theaters of war playable demo

Star Citizer: .you can't get much more broken than what you have in live

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/GT03kO1.mp4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dwesa posted:

Ah great, some inverse kinematics for 50-person per server "MMO". NPCs standing on chairs will align their ankles with chairs.

Edit:
https://i.imgur.com/erDzTkM.mp4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

trucutru posted:

This is not what that dude is saying. He's saying that SC can recreate star wars, hollywood, broadway, la liga, etc. *inside* the game. And once they do that you can easily sell access to those events in the game as well as merch outside.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol thats even dumber. i could see a modding community maybe but lol holy gently caress thats even more insane.

To be fair, this is the very thing that Fortnite is doing. They're trying to position the game less as a game and more as a platform. Doing things like dropping movie trailers INSIDE fortnight before putting them public elsewhere.

But absolutely :lol: at the idea of SC being used like that. Imagine Marvel trying to deploy a movie trailer on some planet in SC. Imagine what a complete and utter shitshow it would be. Nobody wants to be part of that.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

So are you saying Star Citizen will have fly in movie theaters? That sounds neat!

Can't wait to rock up in my 890J while all the pleb's are parked up in their Aurora's.

Mop some floors and get yourself a real ship noobies*

*As if you'll be able to earn a 'real' ship with in game actions. Suckers

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Something just hit me - and I mean this: Has CIG ever ever said the entire word; "technology"?

For context:

Subsumption tech.

Planetary tech.

Atmosphere tech.

...?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, this is the very thing that Fortnite is doing. They're trying to position the game less as a game and more as a platform. Doing things like dropping movie trailers INSIDE fortnight before putting them public elsewhere.

But absolutely :lol: at the idea of SC being used like that. Imagine Marvel trying to deploy a movie trailer on some planet in SC. Imagine what a complete and utter shitshow it would be. Nobody wants to be part of that.

true and like you said. SC isnt set up for it in anyway. its sad delusions i guess.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zaphod42 posted:

They're like a little brother trying to mimic the older sibling poorly.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"there are so many ways to monetize sc. right now people pay for gamer girl bathwater. imagine how much they will pay for crobert bath water!"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"once cig adds in a robust health system and tier 2 healthcare players will pay have to $5k in real money to meet their deductible to get their character's tonsils out"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"there are so many ways to monetize sc. right now people pay for gamer girl bathwater. imagine how much they will pay for crobert bath water!"

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

you know that feeling you're feeling right now? well, once the Digestion 3.1 pipeline comes online you'll be able to get food poisoning and vomit if you leave old hot dogs in your one space suit pocket for too long. o7 citizen.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

I'd pay for it

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

"once cig adds in a robust health system and tier 2 healthcare players will pay have to $5k in real money to meet their deductible to get their character's tonsils out"

I hope I get a huge surprise bill from CIG for real money, if my spaceman has to go to an out of network ER that my space health insurance doesn’t cover. You know, for that extra fidelity.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

hot ham water posted:

I'd pay for it

I'm holding out for Lesnick.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

That person is a regular Doreen Green.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

UnknownTarget posted:

Something just hit me - and I mean this: Has CIG ever ever said the entire word; "technology"?

For context:

Subsumption tech.

Planetary tech.

Atmosphere tech.

...?

it doesn't sound as sexy if you call it planetary technology, it sounds sterile and boring

planetary tech however sounds like some great innovation or breakthrough in the world of computers... much easier to milk people of money with sexy sounding names you see

for all the poo poo people give CIG over the years, from day 0 their money making scheme has been ON POINT, whomever (and I don't believe for a minute Sandi spear headed that initiative) was / is pulling the strings on marketing and money making should teach a symposium on how to bilk idiots out of their welfare cheques

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Even Stalker(yea the 2007 game) has better drinking and eating animations and see how simple is to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooi4gQX2KP4

:shepspends: I'll just keep reiterating this, Star Citizen doesn't really have any individual feature that is groundbreaking. It is the fact they are trying to put all these systems and features into one game that makes the project special.

:homebrew: storing ships in ships ? No loading screens

:allears:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

What lovely games is he playing that don't have this in the last 20 years?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://i.imgur.com/sM3Cn9O.mp4

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

They even steal the loving Mass Effect 1 Mako

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Thanks, sure that being the last thing I see before going to sleep is going to be totally fine.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

Thanks, sure that being the last thing I see before going to sleep is going to be totally fine.

It's the Krogan you saved from the Genophage.

One eye. Four balls.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

This actually looks pretty cool. I guess that both the cliff and climbing is a bug. If you're paying like 60 for a lovely car in a space game, it should climb like a spider

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

colonelwest posted:

I hope I get a huge surprise bill from CIG for real money, if my spaceman has to go to an out of network ER that my space health insurance doesn’t cover. You know, for that extra fidelity.

After a hard week at work as CTO of a fortune 500 company, I like to wake up early on weekends, before my wife and my three kids to indulge in my own personal little treat: Star Citizen.

It's the most fidelitious game ever, set 900 years in the future, with humanity spanning the cosmos at the brink of war with a alien race. Advanced AI makes it truly immersive, so much that is impossible to truly distinguish other players from AI agents; but that's nothing compared to the intricate politics, corporate interplay and social links which make up the heart of Chris Robert's magnum opus.

As I step into my full VR simulation pod in the soundproof basement, my heart races at the possibilities of a new life, forging a destiny beyond the stars with a close-knit coterie at my back and gazing upon impossible vistas - suns rising over moons, asteroid fields being laser mined, desert planets being terraformed so fast each orbit changes the shade of clouds as sands give ways to vast deltas and grasslands ripe to be farmed - I can hardly breathe!

My eyes adjust to the stark light, my headset crackles to life, it's showtime : 'Hello, this is Ryan from Robert's Space Medical Debt collection services, our systems show you are two weeks late on your latest payment...'

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
PCGAMER: Rumor: Starfield images may have leaked

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1309979149218373633
https://twitter.com/skullzitv/status/1310207651582824448
https://twitter.com/skullzitv/status/1309998858785689608

Oh no, Chris... No no no no no no!!!!!

It’s fake - the “oh nos” are because your games are bad.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 28, 2020

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Well, it's Bethesda, wonder what game will have the most bugs, Star Citizer or Starfield.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What is starfield going to have that Chris will add to the feature creep while insisting that actually this was always planned for Star Citizen

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Sankis posted:

What is starfield going to have that Chris will add to the feature creep while insisting that actually this was always planned for Star Citizen

Release Date Tech (RDT)

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sankis posted:

A game?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Daztek posted:

Well, it's Bethesda, wonder what game will have the most bugs, Star Citizer or Starfield.
Still SC. Modders will patch Bethesda's game.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

commando in tophat posted:

This actually looks pretty cool. I guess that both the cliff and climbing is a bug. If you're paying like 60 for a lovely car in a space game, it should climb like a spider

Is there a lore explanation for how a small car costs as much as a loving spaceship?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Is there a lore explanation for how a small car costs as much as a loving spaceship?
It punches above its weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Now that they are adjusting prices of ships to better reflect their ingame value, surely they will reduce this to like 50c, and a 2km range anti-spaceship rocket launcher to maybe $1