Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Check out my cook with @FlameBossSmokes
https://myflameboss.com/cooks/1137668

Off to the races

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol it took me a real long time to figure out what you corrected in my post :thumbsup:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Why is the temperature fluctuating so much? Shouldn’t it be a lot more stable?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It settled down a lot in the last few hours.

My money is on meat one to hit 200 first. Always root for the underhog!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah, it's usually more stable than that right from the get go (though those swings are still only around +10/-15 degrees.

Normally the fan being cut doesn't cause the temp to nose dive that much, maybe I got the probe positioned badly or there was too much or too little lit charcoal or something.

e: looks like its starting to swing again but it may be getting low on charcoal, I did ribs a week ago and didn't add any additional charcoal except the stuff from the chimney, so it didn't have a full load.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 26, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
184°
meat 1

200°
meat 3

Meat 1 has let me down. You must eat it first. No mercy for failure.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

What's a good step up from a WSM? I've had my 18.5 for like 7 years, but I want something with more ergonomic temp control that can fit a rack of ribs laid flat. Not really a fan of BGE, they seem heavy, expensive and breakable, thinking of going more in the Lang or Backwoods direction.

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, sorry for the chili derail.. didn't realize it was such a spicy topic! As penance I bought a 20lb prime packer brisket at Costco, and only part of it will end up in a chili pot.

I did one of those a couple weeks ago. They're so fatty that I basically ended up with beef butter, and less in a good way than a "what the gently caress am I gonna do with 20 lbs of this poo poo" way. Think I'm gonna save prime for steaks and stick with choice for brisket.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What’s the longest you’ve ever had a stall last? I’m at 3.5 hours at 165 degrees now with this 8 pound butt.

nwin fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 27, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

What's a good step up from a WSM? I've had my 18.5 for like 7 years, but I want something with more ergonomic temp control that can fit a rack of ribs laid flat. Not really a fan of BGE, they seem heavy, expensive and breakable, thinking of going more in the Lang or Backwoods direction.

You know the next step, but aren't ready to take it.

You're going to have serious trouble finding better performance for the money than a WSM. Hence why they're popular.

If you're insistent on not getting a ceramic smoker you're options are WSM 22", some crazy reverse cross flow smoker like the Lang (which their smallest, most basic, model is just as expensive as a ceramic), or literally making a smokehouse with bricks and stuff.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Don’t knock Kamados. Joe’s and BGEs come with lifetime warranties and hold temps like champs. They also are fantastic grills too.

nwin posted:

What’s the longest you’ve ever had a stall last? I’m at 3.5 hours at 165 degrees now with this 8 pound butt.

I can’t remember but that sounds right. Pork always stalls a long while for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I didn't take pics this time, but I separated the point for burnt ends and put the flat on last night at 10. Hit 160 at 7 this morning, so I pulled and wrapped it and threw it back on with the point. Thunderstorms rolled in around 6, and it's 30 degrees cooler than yesterday, but temps are staying consistent.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

um excuse me posted:

You know the next step, but aren't ready to take it.

You're going to have serious trouble finding better performance for the money than a WSM. Hence why they're popular.

If you're insistent on not getting a ceramic smoker you're options are WSM 22", some crazy reverse cross flow smoker like the Lang (which their smallest, most basic, model is just as expensive as a ceramic), or literally making a smokehouse with bricks and stuff.

Bob A Feet posted:

Don’t knock Kamados. Joe’s and BGEs come with lifetime warranties and hold temps like champs. They also are fantastic grills too.

I can’t remember but that sounds right. Pork always stalls a long while for me.

I should have been more clear about my hesitance to get a ceramic--I'm mostly concerned about the fragility in the context of the weight and price, since I'm planning on moving at least once, possibly long distance relatively soon. The other big thing is ergonomics, since as I understand you need to take everything out just to add charcoal, but if it comes back to temp quickly and holds it (and doesn't fluctuate 30-50F like the WSM) then this isn't as big of a deal. If anyone has an opinion on that I would love to hear it.

Budget isn't much of a concern for me, but if I'm paying out the rear end I would rather it be for something with the type of double-walled, quarter-inch thick stainless steel construction that future civilizations will find buried in the ruins of the impending nuclear holocaust and marvel at what its intended purpose might have been, as opposed to something that I'll wake up one morning and find cracked because it got a little cold too fast.

edit: I'm also willing to hear any methods of adding gaskets or whatever to the WSM so it doesn't leak so badly, and maybe some talking points to convince it to stop collecting gallons and gallons of rainwater so it can cosplay as a 100lb sludge tank.

Stubear St. Pierre fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 27, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Weber cover I have for mine ensures it stays dry.

As far as mods for the WSM go, you can literally spend as much as the grill itself on it.

Cajun Bandit is basically all mods for better sealing and easier use.

Island Outdoor Home of Vortex, LavaLock and other accessories

Thermoworks has all of your temperature measurement and control methods.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 27, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

Check out my cook with @FlameBossSmokes
https://myflameboss.com/cooks/1137668

Off to the races

Turned out good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hm, I’m out of the stall now and it’s keep at 235 degrees with an internal temp of 181. I wonder how long I have until it hits 200 internal? Still 6 hours before dinner but if it goes that long then it would have been a 22 hour cook.

Meat is hard.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 27, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bob A Feet posted:

Other people in the thread have suggested otherwise, that you don't get high enough direct heat on a Joe to do a good steak or burger. Have you had success with that side of things? I need to replace both my smoker and my grill, and if a Kamado Joe truly would fulfill both roles I would like to save myself the money and patio space and go for it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

nwin posted:

Hm, I’m out of the stall now and it’s keep at 235 degrees with an internal temp of 181. I wonder how long I have until it hits 200 internal? Still 6 hours before dinner but if it goes that long then it would have been a 22 hour cook.

Meat is hard.

It won’t be when it’s done. That’s when you should pull it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

It won’t be when it’s done. That’s when you should pull it.

Huh?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nwin posted:

Meat is hard.

My money is on 3 hours with plenty of time to wrap and rest in a cooler/towel.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Get a Weber Summit so you can tell me if it’s worth the money.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nwin posted:

Meat is hard.

Does sound abnormal to me. Better to crutch through the stall, imo. Get some pink butcher paper and try that in the future.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Internet Explorer posted:

Does sound abnormal to me. Better to crutch through the stall, imo. Get some pink butcher paper and try that in the future.

Yeah, a few lessons learned here. I’ve always crutched before so I wanted to see if I can tell any difference Without a crutch, hence the reason for starting it at 6:30 the night before.

If you look at the graph there’s a huge spike where it jumped to 265 degrees. Not sure if the charcoal just caught a bunch of the briquettes and wood chunks on fire at that point or what. I’m using the minion method but it’s the first time without putting water in the water pan, so maybe that has to do with some of the temp swings.

Right now I’m thinking I’ll go back to the crutch and with a bit of water in the pan (I didn’t like filling the whole thing up because then in left with a grease/water mixture that’s a pain to get rid of).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bluedeanie posted:

Other people in the thread have suggested otherwise, that you don't get high enough direct heat on a Joe to do a good steak or burger. Have you had success with that side of things? I need to replace both my smoker and my grill, and if a Kamado Joe truly would fulfill both roles I would like to save myself the money and patio space and go for it.

I’ve gotten my BGE up to literally 1000 degrees.

The problem I have with grilling steaks on a Kamado are the huge charcoal bowl and the grate being far away and using lump can make the temps inconsistent across the grate. I think there are accessories that can fix all these things but I’ve never looked at them because I have a big patio so it’s not a problem that I have four grills on it so I have a separate charcoal grill for steaks and burgs.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Flat has just started climbing out of the stall at 14 hours in. Point is getting close to wrap time.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

When the meat isn’t hard anymore.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Bluedeanie posted:

Mine will get to 800 if I don’t stop it when I’m setting up to grill. That’s without even trying or being fully open. It’ll sear the gently caress out of some steaks.

It’ll also consistently come back to the set temp after opening it with no fiddling during smoking.

I’ve smoked all day and grilled on it the same day and still had charcoal left too. I don’t ever see needing to add any during the cook.

My biggest complaint about the thing is that it holds heat too well. If you overshoot your set point, it can cost you a fair bit of time correcting the mistake because the ceramic holds temp so wells

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Finally hit 200 degrees four hours later

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

I should have been more clear about my hesitance to get a ceramic--I'm mostly concerned about the fragility in the context of the weight and price, since I'm planning on moving at least once, possibly long distance relatively soon. The other big thing is ergonomics, since as I understand you need to take everything out just to add charcoal, but if it comes back to temp quickly and holds it (and doesn't fluctuate 30-50F like the WSM) then this isn't as big of a deal. If anyone has an opinion on that I would love to hear it.

Budget isn't much of a concern for me, but if I'm paying out the rear end I would rather it be for something with the type of double-walled, quarter-inch thick stainless steel construction that future civilizations will find buried in the ruins of the impending nuclear holocaust and marvel at what its intended purpose might have been, as opposed to something that I'll wake up one morning and find cracked because it got a little cold too fast.

edit: I'm also willing to hear any methods of adding gaskets or whatever to the WSM so it doesn't leak so badly, and maybe some talking points to convince it to stop collecting gallons and gallons of rainwater so it can cosplay as a 100lb sludge tank.

I can't speak to the ceramics, but I have no complaints about my 22" WSM. Modified with the Cajun Bandit door, and gaskets on everything - holds great temps (+/-10 or so) and you can fit 3 whole racks of back ribs (barely depending on the pig) or two sparerib racks on each level. Sure, the ergonomics of adding charcoal aren't amazing, although some good welding gloves and you can just add charcoal by hand really easily - but it lasts about 8 hours on a full load at ~225, so I can't complain too much. I use a cover to keep the rain out, but I think you can just invert the middle section, and the joint arrangement flips to shed water rather than bring it into the smoker. Seriously though, just use a cover - they do the job.

I would love to have a huge steel beast of a smoker one day to spend hours tending a fire on and fussing over, but until then a WSM does a great job for a great price. Again, I have never used a ceramic, and the WSM will absolutely not double as a real grill, but if ceramics are turning you off and you don't want to drop entry-level Lang (or higher) money, just upgrade the size of your WSM and seal it up better.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The gaskets I added to my 22" WSM to keep it from just letting all the heat and smoke out (great factory design) seem to be doing a fine job for rainwater during a cook. I spent a few bucks on the felt ones with a food grade adhesive from Amazon, nothing fancy.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Any kamado will get hotter than the surface of the sun if you let it. I roll with a lovely Char-Griller Akorn that I bought for $175 and that thing can probably easily top 700 degrees. There's no way a Kamado Joe isn't gonna be able to sear the poo poo out of any steak.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

The gaskets I added to my 22" WSM to keep it from just letting all the heat and smoke out (great factory design) seem to be doing a fine job for rainwater during a cook. I spent a few bucks on the felt ones with a food grade adhesive from Amazon, nothing fancy.
which one did you get?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I had the same question and ended up with a Weber Summit Charcoal.

I am very happy and it was that or like a Yoder reverse flow for like $8k.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how on earth do they get away charging 1500 for that thing

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

how on earth do they get away charging 1500 for that thing

Pro tip: don’t pay msrp for any grill or smoker that isn’t like made especially for you by a man with a welder in Texas.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

How about 7.2lbs and like 5 hours (11:15pm - 4:45am) at 225F?

I use the stall as my variable time extension window. If I am in a hurry, I can crutch early-- when HeaterMeter indicates a rise of less than 2F/hr. It takes about an hour before the temperature will start to climb again, then about 1.5-2 hours after that until it is done. Figure out what time I need to serve, subtract an hour for rest and 2.5-3hrs to finish cooking and that's when I crutch. That's only when I am trying to make a deadline and determines when action must be taken to eat on time. If there's plenty of time I just don't crutch at all and wrap it when it comes off.

I can also use Ramp Mode to extend the cooking time if I got started too early, where the setpoint slowly ramps down as the meat temperature leaves the stall. I usually turn this on if there is any remote possibility it will be done while I am sleeping. I'm not getting up 9 times a night to babysit, we have software for this! I've only let ramp mode complete once because it takes like 6 hours to go the last 15 degrees and it tends to dry out the butt if it isn't wrapped, but it is a great way to slow down cooking so you can get your sleep without worrying that the butt you put on for dinner somehow was done at 4am and is now a crispy critter at 7am. Once I wake up I disable the ramp down and let it finish normally. You can even set an alarm action to turn off the smoker at a certain doneness, for the ultimate in automation.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ultimate Mango posted:

Why is the temperature fluctuating so much? Shouldn’t it be a lot more stable?

Just in case this helps anyone, I'm pretty sure this was caused by the temp probe being too close to the meat. I usually pay more attention but I think it ended up like millimeters from the meat so when the fan wasn't stoking the flames the probe cooled off rapidly causing the fan to fire back up again.

Which would also make sense that it eventually stopped, due to the meat contracting enough it was no longer that close to the probe.

Didn't seem to cause any ill effects on the meat though. Maybe ended up getting more smoke than it would have otherwise? Didn't notice any "bad smoke" flavor which would be the main thing I'd be concerned about.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I did a rather nontraditional smoke:

Made some dough

Wrapped into dough-rings

Boiled in molasses water

Smoked on the BGE at 375. I think this counts as smoking?

The finished Montreal bagels. A faint flavor of smoke

Pretty good. A whole lot of work for a bagel but will probably do it again (in a year)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

https://www.amazon.com/Broil-King-911470-Diameter-Metallic/dp/B00OMWWP1O

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Thanks to everyone for the kamado explanationa. Gonna bite the bullet and jump on one this week, possibly even today. Expect pics in the next few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

If cost is a factor, consider the Akorn cookers. Same principle as ceramic cooker, jus insulated double walled steel. Mine would hold temp perfectly as long as it wasn't windy, and can last forever on a full load of charcoal.