Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

jerk1000 posted:

I blacked out multiple times. Give me a break.

Next time don't challenge trainers whose Pokemon are too strong for yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
24 years ago my parents didn't let me have a N64. I just beat Mario 64 for the first time after having bought it 3 times (DS, Wii VC, SM3DAS). I guess this a minor neurosis in the grand scheme of things but I think I can finally let it go.

Phew. Love that they continued the SMW tradition of forcing you to restart your console after beating the game. Don't remember if Yoshi's island did that.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

robot roll call posted:

hell yeah

gently caress the Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock 100 coin stars

it kind of is the end of the fun though

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
why does Sunshine kick you out of the level entirely when you die during some of the challenges??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Galaxy does that too

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

xedo posted:

Blasted through Gorogoa today. Holy crap. Definitely one of the best indie games I've played, visually and artistically. It was like playing a stack of m.c. escher paintings.

Yeah it's so nice :) I was hesitant about buying it because so many reviews were just like "we don't want to spoil this game! just get it and see for yourself!"
but it makes sense, the game is so short that if you try to explain how it works you're spoiling a significant proportion of the content.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Still can't get over how strange the Mario 64 font looks to me when it's not hideously pixelated.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

robot roll call posted:

hell yeah

gently caress the Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock 100 coin stars
https://clips.twitch.tv/ArbitraryHardAxeVoteYea

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i knew exactly where this was going because i cranked myself with 95 coins in the exact same spot

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Wait, video games respond differently if I don't push buttons??

Edit: I'm actually very entertained by seeing people experience the game for the first time decades later.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 28, 2020

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

lmao I think I ate poo poo everywhere in the level except there

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Got the shell's secret in Noki Bay, feels good <3

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Got the shell's secret in Noki Bay, feels good <3

felt the same pride earlier today. the secrets are murder.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

When is Genshin Impact supposed to be out on Switch?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Did you have to open yours up to clean it? I don't have the propert screwdriver for it (what is it, a hexagon? pentagon? I can't remember off-hand). The A button on my SNES30 Pro is sticking now, and I'd love to get it fixed.

I did open it only because I knew what ever the problem was it was going to involve the rubber pad. It wasn't torn and wasn't dirty or anything but I had no luck fixing it myself. Shoot an email to 8bitdo though to get it a replacement started.

I bought the SNES replacement from here.
https://console5.com/store/snes-replacement-controller-silicone-rubber-carbon-dot-pads.html When this one arrives hopefully this week I'll let you know how it goes. I might have to cut it down a bit if it's not exact size. Btw how long have you had yours?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Spiteski posted:

When is Genshin Impact supposed to be out on Switch?

There's no date at all yet.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Probably for the best. I didn't realise its quite so gacha now that I've watched a bit of it on streams

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Social Animal posted:

I did open it only because I knew what ever the problem was it was going to involve the rubber pad. It wasn't torn and wasn't dirty or anything but I had no luck fixing it myself. Shoot an email to 8bitdo though to get it a replacement started.

I bought the SNES replacement from here.
https://console5.com/store/snes-replacement-controller-silicone-rubber-carbon-dot-pads.html When this one arrives hopefully this week I'll let you know how it goes. I might have to cut it down a bit if it's not exact size. Btw how long have you had yours?

Mine is over a year old, bought it last summer.

What screwdriver did you use to open it?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Touch screen controls for galaxy, specifically a very spooky sprint are assssssss.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I had way more trouble with 100 coins on tiny huge world than either rainbow road or tick tock clock, although the latter two had their frustrations

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Butterfly Valley posted:

I had way more trouble with 100 coins on tiny huge world than either rainbow road or tick tock clock, although the latter two had their frustrations

Gotta butt-stomp those goombas!

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Enjoying SNES Mario Picross. Which of the newer Switch picross games is the best to go to after this?

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
Capcom Beat Em Ups is firmly in the, heh, ‘own zone.’ Played Knights of the Round with a friend las night and we hosed the game like up like we were skilled gamers even though we had unlimited continues and easy mode on. Well worth it for 10 bucks if you have a friend to play with. Supports online play.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

whoever decided on this stupid loving climbing grates horse poo poo to get to the top of the ferris wheel in pinna park needs to be dragged into a dark corner and beaten to within an inch of their life

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Since it's all the rage now, I'll share my Mario 64 clips.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1310535255288287235?s=20https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1310535537699119104?s=20

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ending to super Mario Galaxy:

I don't know what just happened, I feel like I am on drugs. Did I just destroy the universe?

I also feel like I have forgotten everything about how physics does physics stuff

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Wah hoo, everybody's a dead.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RickRogers posted:

Ending to super Mario Galaxy:

I don't know what just happened, I feel like I am on drugs. Did I just destroy the universe?

I also feel like I have forgotten everything about how physics does physics stuff

Lol I just got to the end last night too and was reminded how loving crazy the end of that game is.

Essentially, yeah. Bowser's new galaxy implodes upon itself and Rosalina and the Lumas decide the easiest way to fix it is just to blow up the whole loving universe and start over exactly the same. It's like when you accidentally run over your kid's dog and try to get them a new one that looks identical. All works out fine until Mario realizes the goombas have 6 eyes now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yakuza games are basically modernized River City Ransom

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MZ posted:

Enjoying SNES Mario Picross. Which of the newer Switch picross games is the best to go to after this?

Buy Picross S1 and go up from there once you finish it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MZ posted:

I didn't notice until I saw the title screen but Mario Super Picross is actually made by the same company that makes all the good Switch ones. Picross S by Jupiter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think my favourite Picross game was the Zelda one on 3DS that I got free with some points thing. It was really good.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The more I play Galaxy 1, the more I get disappointed Galaxy 2 isn't in the collection.

Even though I have a copy + a wii, I don't want to go back to waggle spin.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Back to Hadeschat, I could not get my head around the rail or claws but tonight I just had my first runs where they really clicked and I managed to grab the boons they synergize with, and more importantly, understand just how you're supposed to be using them. Still didn't clear but that's just my fault cause I'm bad. GOTY by miles.

What was the trick? I've had trouble with those ones as well.

Hades is really just such a good game - the runs themselves are very well done/fun, but the way the narrative develops and the hub in between runs is just far and away the best I've ever seen in a roguelite. I imagine most studios wouldn't be able to execute on that level of polish/detail like Supergiant, but I'd be v on board for this to become more of a standard for these kinds of games.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

foutre posted:

What was the trick? I've had trouble with those ones as well.

Hades is really just such a good game - the runs themselves are very well done/fun, but the way the narrative develops and the hub in between runs is just far and away the best I've ever seen in a roguelite. I imagine most studios wouldn't be able to execute on that level of polish/detail like Supergiant, but I'd be v on board for this to become more of a standard for these kinds of games.

If you go in with the mindset that you should just be mindlessly mashing the attack button with the claws or sniping with the gun you're gonna have a rough time. You need to learn the enemies and position yourself/time your attacks such that you won't get hit. If you're relying on hitstun to get you through the levels you're just gonna get softened up too much by the time you get to the bosses.

Executing well is like 50% keeping on top of good positioning for your weapon and 50% getting a coherent build together through boons/weapon upgrades

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Personally I would say the trick with the gun is to use the grenade as much as you can. It's really strong, has a huge aoe, and takes almost no time to fire. The gun clicked for me when I switched from shooting the grenade once or twice a room to once every dash.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

Personally I would say the trick with the gun is to use the grenade as much as you can. It's really strong, has a huge aoe, and takes almost no time to fire. The gun clicked for me when I switched from shooting the grenade once or twice a room to once every dash.
Yeah this, I got the Daedalus hammer upgrade right in the starting room and took the one that's +300% damage with bigger AoE but can hurt you and found it well worth it, easy enough to avoid (was afraid I would pull, is it Tisiphone? as a boss, the one that phases the room into those narrow hallways a couple of times and that might gently caress you but I didn't). Combine that with Dionysus' cast that stuns enemies to they'll stand still to take the grenade. Later got another hammer upgrade that turns the gun into a three-round burst that doesn't need reloading and liked that a lot too.

Claws... it was an early upgrade from maybe Ares? that gave the dash-strike +900% (!!! must've been an epic variant) against armor, just one-hit breaks everything in the early game, and blade rift on dash from I forget who (also Ares?). So what you're doing is dash-strike up to an enemy, bash bash bash, dash directly through them leaving a blade slicing them up while you repeat from the back ad infinitum.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

From the deals thread:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone had experience with their joycon light not working all of a sudden? The joycon still works fine, there's just no light any more.

Can I expect to shell out for a new one in the near future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love me some Picross but I reallllly want to see more Picross 3D.