Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Vir posted:

When Asus and EVGA even went as far as changing the board design, and EVGA even confirmed that they couldn't reach full spec with just polymer caps, that does suggest that it was a real issue though. If they can work around it in the drivers in a way that doesn't even lower performance, then that's a good save from Nvidia.

yeah, they announced it today. at this point there has been enough FUD stirred up that if you don't change your board you're going to lose sales permanently, even if it's not technically necessary.

we don't (and will never) know the exact nexus between power supply instability, cap problems, driver problems, boost behavior, generally lower node performance, binning, and clockrates. Did EVGA just set a too-aggressive clockrate and their cards couldn't deliver it? We will never know. But other vendors had no problems with their SP-CAP based cards.

I just think the difference in tone between AMD problems and NVIDIA problems is pretty funny. A year after launch AMD cards still randomly blackscreen every 15 minutes: "mAyBe yOuRe hOlDiNg tHe pSu wRoNg!". NVIDIA has a launch problem and fixes it in a week with a driver update without loss of performance: "gently caress YOU NVIDIA GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK".

People are just so willing to automatically assume the worst about NVIDIA, 100% of the time, and it's usually baseless. And they are willing to give AMD the benefit of the doubt every time whatever the problem. I didn't see anyone running loops of NOPs to prove that their 3080 was actually stable and NVIDIA didn't technically market the cards falsely - and you bet that if NVIDIA's patch had dinged performance even a percent that people would be clamoring for a class-action suit.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

I just think the difference in tone between AMD problems and NVIDIA problems is pretty funny. A year after launch AMD cards still randomly blackscreen every 15 minutes: "mAyBe yOuRe uSiNg tHe pSu wRoNg!". NVIDIA has a launch problem and fixes it in a week with a driver update without loss of performance: "gently caress YOU NVIDIA GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK".

K8.0 posted:

Paul this isn't even a good troll by your standards. The AMD CPUs hit their review performance, the Nvidia GPUs may not.

I agree that people are freaking out way too hard way too soon, but this comparison is too dumb even for you.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
oh no paul said something good about NVIDIA, the world is ending

like c'mon, everyone knows NVIDIA takes a bunch of completely unfounded poo poo from people who just hate their guts for what amounts to outcompeting AMD and other competitors. Look at the immediate, reflexive poo poo the entire tech sector took on them for the ARM acquisition. Cause Jensen is going to buy a $40b IP built entirely on licensing and then burn it to the ground by refusing to license it to anyone.

they are like Apple, it's trendy to hate on NVIDIA. That certainly played a role here. The difference in the reaction of the community between the Navi problems and this is just night and day. People pulled out every stop to defend AMD and insist that it must have been user error. A week after launch and people are clamoring for NVIDIA to recall product and cut them a fat check.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 28, 2020

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Well my free 12-pin Seasonic cable arrived at least. I filled out the forum on Thursday after snagging a 3090, they shipped from Taiwan the next day and it arrived late this morning.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

9/23 gang got an update!

No shipping email, but reference number search on fedex finally showed up. Only a shipping label created, but estimated delivery of 10/2.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Paul MaudDib posted:

oh no paul said something good about NVIDIA, the world is ending

like c'mon, everyone knows NVIDIA takes a bunch of completely unfounded poo poo from people who just hate their guts for what amounts to outcompeting AMD and other competitors. Look at the immediate, reflexive poo poo the entire tech sector took on them for the ARM acquisition. Cause Jensen is going to buy a $40b IP and then burn it to the ground by refusing to license it to anyone.

they are like Apple, it's trendy to hate on NVIDIA. That certainly played a role here. The difference in the reaction of the community between the Navi problems and this is just night and day. People pulled out every stop to defend AMD and insist that it must have been user error. A week after launch and people are clamoring for NVIDIA to cut them a fat check.

I mean when you present yourself as the premium brand and charge for products at premium prices, yeah expectations are higher. Totally agree this got blown out of proportion but it comes with territory.

Goes the same for any other product. The higher end vendor with the premium takes more flak over smaller issues. But it works both ways too, the lol AMD driver memes even though they are pretty much fixed still dog AMD months after resolution. No one believes that they can deliver a top notch GPU either and they are surely losing sales because no one is bothering with Big Navi.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Posting again, as it relates to previous posts:

exquisite tea posted:

Is tomorrow supposed to be the day Amazon starts to stock 3080s, or Tuesday?

Posted yesterday, and:

Sagebrush posted:

The only place that can "handle it" at this level of demand and scalping is Amazon, and they appear to have not yet received a single shipment of cards.

Any idea when Amazon will start selling the 3080?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Samadhi posted:

Any idea when Amazon will start selling the 3080?

:iiam:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dilber posted:

Am i first?

Someone photoshop the guy from Titanic falling into that giant boat propeller.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pretty sure that card is the entire size of the XB Series S.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

9/23 gang got an update!

No shipping email, but reference number search on fedex finally showed up. Only a shipping label created, but estimated delivery of 10/2.

9/23 gang rise up, I just got a shipped email a few minutes ago. Scheduled for tomorrow before noon, part of me hopes it'll get pushed to Wednesday cause I'm not home in the morning :ohdear:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AMD absolutely does not get credit for having their drivers 'pretty much fixed' by the time of the entirely next generation launch.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So what's a realistic expectation for TSMC instead of Samsung? Can they even replace them by the Super refresh, or are we talking RTX 4000?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Bezos you useless gently caress

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Alchenar posted:

AMD absolutely does not get credit for having their drivers 'pretty much fixed' by the time of the entirely next generation launch.

Sure they do. It's called Finewine and it's been a favorite topic of discussion among techtubers for years. Who doesn't love seen how the R9 380 caught up to the GTX 970 2 years after both cards were EOL'd.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My Gigabyte 3080 arrived about an hour ago and I just finished running benchmarks for the first time so I can compare results to Air Raid and the dentist. It has been a long road getting here and I have to give a special shoutout to a (liquidation?) company in Missouri called sssence solutions who hooked me up with a modular PCI-e cable for my PSU. It uses these stupid rockwell type connectors and apparently I got rid of all of my extras thinking "I'll never need more than two 8-pins," but they sold me an extra they somehow had laying around. They're absolutely impossible to find beyond buying a used $100+ PSU just for the cable, in which case it obviously makes more sense to just get a new PSU, so I'm appreciative of their help. The big downside is that the PSU is semi-modular and the two 8-pins I had were split from one cable in the big bunch, so I now have three 8-pins, one of which is unconnected and dangling under the card. It's ugly as hell and I will need to come up with some solution that doesn't partially block airflow into one of the fans.

code:
Port Royal:
First  - 11,507
Second - 11,568
Third  - 11,553

Time Spy:
First  - Total: 13,548   GPU: 17,969   CPU: 5,659
Second - Total: 13,514   GPU: 18,034   CPU: 5,584
Other relevant specs:
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 rev 1.0
i7 6700k boost to 4.5 GHz
16GB G.Skill F4-3400C16D-16GTZ
SATA3 SSD

I forgot to save all but the first test locally, but I did save the first Port Royal benchmark results. GPU clocks topped out at 1950 MHz for about 4 seconds and then hovered around 1890-1910 MHz for most of the rest of the run. All benchmarks run on today's drivers.

My only real issue at the moment is that the card seems to be running quite a bit warmer than other Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC card numbers I've seen. Average temps during the benchmarks are around 71C. I recently replaced my single, dinky 120mm front case fan with two 140mm fans. Replaced the other two 120mm fans with new ones of the same size, as well. The card is so thick that my lower, front fan is blasting air into the front of the card instead underneath. My 3.5" HDDs are hidden underneath the case's power supply shroud and the fans are mounted as low as they can possibly go, so I'm not entirely sure what I can do about it beyond cranking up the GPU fans.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Bloodplay it again posted:

My only real issue at the moment is that the card seems to be running quite a bit warmer than other Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC card numbers I've seen. Average temps during the benchmarks are around 71C.

That is hotter than mine... it never goes over 66-67C really, with mediocre case airflow. Slightly higher scores too, but then your CPU is way faster than mine. Core clocks are about the same tho, 1950 sometimes, 1920-1935 most of the time.

Also, this looks like a steal

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
New Nvidia driver just dropped. Time will tell if it fixes the crashing issues you people are having

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

guess who found his extra power supply cables and prepare for Numbers

split cable 456.38:
port royal:
1: 11432
2: 11383
3: 11409
4: 11395
5: 11416
6: 11402
7: 11384
8: 11453
9: 11388
10: 11409

avg: 11407
min: 11383
max: 11453

2x pci-e cables 456.38:
port royal:
1: 11537
2: 11514
3: 11585
4: 11588
5: 11582
6: 11612
7: 11574
8: 11582
9: 11581
10: 11574

avg: 11573
min: 11514
max: 11612

2x pci-e cables 456.55:
port royal:
1: 11572
2: 11561
3: 11558
4: 11536
5: 11614
6: 11560
7: 11540
8: 11547
9: 11560
10: 11559

avg: 11561
min: 11536
max: 11614

so no extra performance on new drivers in this particular scenario

now i didn't get pre-driver/cables outside of an old saved test:

timespy 456.38, split pci-e cables:
1: 14890 (Graphics 18024, CPU 7501)

timespy 456.55, 2x pci-e cables:
1: 14754 (Graphics 17966, CPU 7329)
2: 14717 (Graphics 17958, CPU 7277)
3: 14666 (Graphics 17932, CPU 7218)
4: 14670 (Graphics 17939, CPU 7218)
5: 14629 (Graphics 17921, CPU 7168)

just one tiny caveat... i'm still power limited on this 650W

anyway...
change cpu from 4.7GHz to 3.7GHz on the off chance we can squeeze some extra power:
timespy:
1: 13940 (Graphics 17553, CPU 6435)
2: 13893 (Graphics 17557, CPU 6366)
3: 13913 (Graphics 17584, CPU 6374)

port royal:
1: 11565
2: 11567
3: 11561

well there goes that theory - although i am not power limited for a couple of frames. core clock will still hit 2010mhz at peak in port royal but generally sticks in the 1950-1965 range. towards the end of the benchmark the gpu will hit 71c but i've adjusted it to a custom curve for a fixed rpm at a low noise level accounting for peak. i could just run everything at 100% and get the thermals ignored if i were chasing score though

and yes now i am tempted to grab a 850w and see what changes but that's nothing to do with extra performance and i won't :colbert:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Aren't most of the GPU thermal benchmarks done on open-bench setups because they're all lazy for the most part anyway. I remember Tech Jesus complaining about this from other reviewers

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
My Zotac 3080 hasn't crashed a single time and is boosting over 2K with a slightly more agressive fan curve despite having the BAD CAPS that all the electrical engineers on reddit are up in arms about :kiddo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
please post those benchmark numbers in the form of a graph if you expect anyone to read them

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SaltPig posted:

Well my free 12-pin Seasonic cable arrived at least. I filled out the forum on Thursday after snagging a 3090, they shipped from Taiwan the next day and it arrived late this morning.

Nice, I have to do this but I gotta pull out the PSU from my case to get at the label they want. :negative:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

please post those benchmark numbers in the form of a graph if you expect anyone to read them
no

also my card still holds stable in gpu-intensive games at 2010MHz post-driver update

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

FYI when you see Power Limit in GPU-Z or equivalent, it's not talking about your PSU. That's your graphics card firmware limiting the power. People here saying "I'm PSU power limited..." but that's not really how it works. If you really max out your PSU, things may start crashing or the PSU will turn off, but you're not going to get the GPU nicely downclocking itself. It doesn't care about any part of the system other than itself.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

guess who found his extra power supply cables and prepare for Numbers

FYI this is almost exactly what I'm getting on Ryzen 3600, 2x16GB Corsair Ballistix (micron e-die, DRAM OC'd using Ryzen DRAM Calc to SAFE settings but I think t here's something a bit wonky), MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, with EVGA 3080 XC3 Gaming (+112/+200 on clock/mem), 650W Corsair RM650 on 2x split PCI-E cables. Time Spy varies a bit but hit 14153 and Port Royale is nominally around 11,301. Have also hit 13,500 TS and 10,251 PR at times too, but I think thats more having other applications running on my second monitor and I had Instant-Replay on when I did that. Latest drivers

that you're getting that on a 6700K is really good. I admit I'm a little surprised mine is tending to be a bit lower than I'd expect and otherwise see from other people, but it's still good. Just wondering if maybe I have a slightly bad configuration somewhere. My install is a bit poo poo and quite old now, carrying over a lot of garbage. and I also can't run on UEFI mode and need to run on CSM because it won't POST to my M.2 for some reason, but that shouldn't matter

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 28, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xaris posted:

FYI this is almost exactly what I'm getting on Ryzen 3600, 2x16GB Corsair Ballistix (micron e-die, DRAM OC'd using Ryzen DRAM Calc to SAFE settings but I think t here's something a bit wonky), MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, with EVGA 3080 XC3 Gaming (+112/+200 on clock/mem), 650W Corsair RM650 on 2x split PCI-E cables. Time Spy varies a bit but hit 14153 and Port Royale is nominally around 11,301. Have also hit 13,500 TS and 10,251 PR at times too, but I think thats more having other applications running on my second monitor and I had Instant-Replay on when I did that. Latest drivers

that you're getting that on a 6700K is really good. I admit I'm a little surprised mine is tending to be a bit lower than I'd expect and otherwise see from other people, but it's still good. Just wondering if maybe I have a bad configuration somewhere.

Ballistix is a Crucial brand btw.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Ballistix is a Crucial brand btw.
:tipshat: all c-words sound the same

kinda regret the ryzen choice, I know Intel commands an unnesssecary markup but dealing with Intel/mobo/dram is a lot easier than Ryzen and PBO and stuff is really a bit awkward. next build ill go back to intel.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Xaris posted:

So what you're saying is your Overclocked card is getting slightly lower numbers than Wiggly Wayne's stock card? :bravo:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Xaris posted:

kinda regret the ryzen choice, I know Intel commands an unnesssecary markup but dealing with Intel/mobo/dram is a lot easier than Ryzen and PBO and stuff is really a bit awkward. next build ill go back to intel.

Intel really isn't worth it price/perf unless you're chasing some crazy FPS for a high refresh rate monitor in esports titles.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Twerkdad posted:

9/23 gang rise up, I just got a shipped email a few minutes ago. Scheduled for tomorrow before noon, part of me hopes it'll get pushed to Wednesday cause I'm not home in the morning :ohdear:

No shipped email, but someone scanned it onto a truck:

It's got 1-day shipping (gottagofast) so hopefully I'll have something by 8PM tomorrow night?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

AirRaid posted:

So what you're saying is your Overclocked card is getting slightly lower numbers than Wiggly Wayne's stock card? :bravo:

They both have OC cards, dont they? The Gigabyte Gaming is factory oc'd .

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Intel really isn't worth it price/perf unless you're chasing some crazy FPS for a high refresh rate monitor in esports titles.

The only thing I really am disappointed about with my 10700k is that I don't seem to have won the silicon lottery. Mind you, I also don't have an AMD platform to do a compairson with, so if anyone wants to send me a B550 mITX board and a 3600 or better chip, I'm down to set up a blind taste test.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does Zen 3 come out on the 8th or is that just when it's getting revealed with no release date?

Wondering when I can grab one of those bad boys.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

jisforjosh posted:

Well I do try to at least hit 141FPS for multiplayer shooters like BF5 if I can but yeah.

I actually just yesterday replaced my old 4x8gb 3000 GSKILLZ ram that, for the very same manufacturing number, had 2 different sets of timings, dies, and ranks, with a single 2x16GB 3200 CL16 ram and that pretty much added +600 right there just swapping that around and a little more doing manual timings. Kinda crazy how sensitive it is to ram even just on a "mostly" GPU Test like Port Royale. Although tbf my Windows install is really a big long-running mess at this point and still can't use UEFI because it wont post to my M.2 drive (probably because it got confused with an old SSD when I installed it) so I'm still on CSM mode--It's just too much work to unplug everything else, wipe, and reinstall all my engineering programs to fix that but I'll probably tackle it when I get some time.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 28, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Xaris posted:

It's not that bad. My Ballistix 3600 2x16GB memory worked without any problems on my X570 Tomahawk. It's pretty straightforward and a lot of the troubles date back to Ryzen's debut CPUS in the 1700 range.

Having said that I'd go back to Intel the moment they can offer a more efficient, cooler CPU that continues to deliver the best FPS in games.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Intel is probably getting hellfucked by Zen 3 lmao

I say this as someone who has been on intel forever.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

joke's aside this was primarily trying to investigate the crashing issue of stock AIB gpus running with GPUBoost to nominally too high frequencies on their own

Xaris posted:

that you're getting that on a 6700K is really good. I admit I'm a little surprised mine is tending to be a bit lower than I'd expect and otherwise see from other people, but it's still good. Just wondering if maybe I have a slightly bad configuration somewhere. My install is a bit poo poo and quite old now, carrying over a lot of garbage. and I also can't run on UEFI mode and need to run on CSM because it won't POST to my M.2 for some reason, but that shouldn't matter
this machine has a 8700K and 3200MHz ram for context, and your port royal score manually OC'ed hits airraid's stock + gpuboost. really shows how far gpuboost has came along and how little headroom there is before you push past power limits and hit diminishing returns. were you trying to test the card's limits by stability or checking actual performance? you can make the performance worse by clocking the memory too high and it'll still seem stable

Pivo posted:

FYI when you see Power Limit in GPU-Z or equivalent, it's not talking about your PSU. That's your graphics card firmware limiting the power. People here saying "I'm PSU power limited..." but that's not really how it works. If you really max out your PSU, things may start crashing or the PSU will turn off, but you're not going to get the GPU nicely downclocking itself. It doesn't care about any part of the system other than itself.
i was under the impression that Pwr was an actual power limitation that's gracefully handled, while VRel is bios stability limiting further GPUBoost, and VOps is a voltage limit. looking into it further Pwr is the bios limit being hit, and i was bouncing off a 350W wall in the synthetics but never stable there. for games it's 2/3 of that in practice

i wasn't really expecting to be truly maxing out my psu but that the psu had split limits on where it can distribute power, but i can't find any thorough documentation covering the evga supernova g3 650 other than the combined rating for 12v

Symetrique posted:

They both have OC cards, dont they? The Gigabyte Gaming is factory oc'd .
they come with a factory upclock, but the +112/+200 mentioned would be from the base 0 after the factory OC - and gpuboost would be adding more to that as well so it's a bit misleading rather than raw core figures from under loads (even if load varies peak clocks and doesn't always equal performance)

sean10mm posted:

ya i hope they hit near-parity at single-threaded performance with zen 3 the cpu side has been looking good

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

sean10mm posted:

the only thing left for amd to do with ryzen is get the clocks up and once they do that, buh bye intel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

Does Zen 3 come out on the 8th or is that just when it's getting revealed with no release date?

Wondering when I can grab one of those bad boys.

They haven't said either way. The running expectation is that on the 8th AMD will officially announce/release Zen3, with actual ability to buy it hitting a week or two later. Kinda like with NVidia did announcing Ampere on the 1st but you couldn't buy them until the 17th.

e; also no one knows what sort of availability they'll have. A ton of nerds have been salivating over Zen 3 for months, so it's not unreasonable to expect that it'll be difficult to get some of the more popular chips for a little.