Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SuperKlaus posted:

Terranigma remake Terranigma remake Terranigma remake

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They should do the whole trilogy, that would rule.

This would be my One Gamer Wish (in addition to series pseudosequel The Granstream Saga), but I wonder if the rights are tied up somehow. Quintet is a defunct company, I wonder if they have the rights to the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mega64 posted:

SE Earnings Report

So that's promising!

Extremely unlikely, but they should either remake Einhander or make a new one to current-gen standards. Would presumably take a lot less effort than remaking these long, sweeping RPGs but at the same time sidescrolling shooters seem to have completely dropped off as a genre.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Not a Children posted:

This would be my One Gamer Wish (in addition to series pseudosequel The Granstream Saga), but I wonder if the rights are tied up somehow. Quintet is a defunct company, I wonder if they have the rights to the characters

I think Enix does, they published the games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They should do the whole trilogy, that would rule.

illusion of gaia was my very first video game and if it ever re-emerged i would be legally obligated to flip the gently caress out

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
SoM remake, but good this time

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Secret of Evermore remake, but with an improved alchemy system

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Secret of Evermore but the dog gets to cast alchemy too.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Kevin dating sim

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

an actual new Mana game

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't think this is even a hot take anymore

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well atm we're at two co-op rpg remakes for 2020 where Square Enix totally hosed up the co-op

so I wouldn't trust them with another co-op remake. probably add some stupid poo poo like online-only matchmaking that kicks you after 30 minutes

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
2?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Crystal Chronicles was the second one they butchered https://attackofthefanboy.com/guides/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-how-to-add-friends-what-is-the-journey-log/

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
How the gently caress do you remake a game that was played with local co-op without the local co-op?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Lack of budget most likely.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

jokes posted:

Secret of Evermore but the dog gets to cast alchemy too.

Secret of Evermore but co-op, keep all the lovely fake movie references also. Release it in Japan this time, too, but in English for maximum confusion. I loved that game so much as a kid.

Sad to hear that the co-op sucks in Crystal Chronicles when that was literally the point of the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Them taking out co-op in trials for the remake made sense given the camera wasn't conducive to it. But a Secret of Evermore remake would be great, especially if they made the combat more modern (get rid of charging attacks, and do a combo system similar to trials) and make the dog controllable as a co-op.

I know there's a romhack that has co-op added in for the dog too.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
look at this scary picture of moogle from a nintendo power

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Oh wow, that’s sure is one way to interpret those tiny sprites before the FF3 ads made it clear what they’re supposed to look like.

Edit: vv Oh my... That’s Palom and Porum, aren’t they? Did they just entirety ignore the in game art? I know the pixels don’t do Amano’s work justice, but even I could tell they were dorky kids with bowl cuts.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 5, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nintendo Power certainly has had...unique interpretations of Square characters in the past.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
You guys all know it's going to be a Chrono Trigger remake

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

I like it so far but the camera is probably the worst part of it by a large margin. It keeps swinging parallel to the ground so I can't see poo poo in the middle of a battle as everyone's butts are in the way.

Turns out changing the zoom to max zoom in the settings helps significantly with this.

Anyway I just got off Beuca Island and went to the Labyrinth of Ice. I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by the triple machine golems, I can't keep up at all with the constant barrages of grumpkins and rocket arms despite being higher level than these golems. The AI seemingly isn't bothering to dodge these attacks unlike with other bosses, and they're barely scratching the enemy. This is the first time I've had serious trouble with the bosses in this game while playing on Hard.

Should I back out and go get Salamando instead or what?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

That’s one of the game’s tougher fights, but if I recall it’s lower level than the desert, so you should probably try to tough it out. The AI is indeed pretty useless there, unfortunately. Particularly you’ll have to be much more active about manually healing if you’ve previously been relying on the AI.

What’s your party composition? Thunder saber should help a lot, which you could get from the night market if you don’t have Gladiator.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What’s your party composition? Thunder saber should help a lot, which you could get from the night market if you don’t have Gladiator.

Knight, Brawler, and Sorceress. Duran hasn't been as durable as I hoped, I've been leaning heavily on Kevin.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Those bots simply have too many telegraph for the AI to be able to deal with. They are one of the hardest bosses in the game I find. Doubly so with the difficulty mod.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SKULL.GIF posted:

Turns out changing the zoom to max zoom in the settings helps significantly with this.

Anyway I just got off Beuca Island and went to the Labyrinth of Ice. I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by the triple machine golems, I can't keep up at all with the constant barrages of grumpkins and rocket arms despite being higher level than these golems. The AI seemingly isn't bothering to dodge these attacks unlike with other bosses, and they're barely scratching the enemy. This is the first time I've had serious trouble with the bosses in this game while playing on Hard.

Should I back out and go get Salamando instead or what?

Yeah, the golem triplets are nasty since the AI doesn't really do well when dealing with several AOE-slinging enemies at once.

You might want to do Salamando first. In addition to your level being higher, the armor shop at the oasis town Diin has some accessories you can't get on the Altena continent that give you a bit of extra defense and the desert has a secret chest behind the sandfall that contains a stronger weapon for one of your characters.

Finally, the golems are weak to wind so slap some siren claws on your bruisers and let 'em rip. If you have any Sylphid statues or Harpy's fangs, let Angela toss them. Since the golems utilize Blaze Wall and Stone Cloud, give Duran the earth or fire shield to raise his resistence when hit with one of those spells.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Erpy posted:

If you have any Sylphid statues or Harpy's fangs, let Angela toss them.

Oh gently caress these things scale off Int? No wonder they seemed to be doing pathetic damage, I've been using Kevin to throw them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yep, every item in the game is basically "have this character cast this spell".

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had a bit less trouble with them because I ran Duran with Provoke and Hawk and Angela both with Enigma. Use Provoke and Enigma as you can and then pilot Duran primarily during the fight. You can mitigate lots and lots of the damage this way.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's probably one of the fights where having the AI set to fight enemies other than the one you're targeting is useful (though I found it useful for pretty much Zehnoa onwards anyway). Your party doesn't get their asses kicked any less, but it allows you to focus fire one golem and not worry about them all potentially coming after you at once since the other two will focus on your party members (and then you're also keeping at least one away from them).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

SKULL.GIF posted:

Knight, Brawler, and Sorceress. Duran hasn't been as durable as I hoped, I've been leaning heavily on Kevin.

SuperKlaus posted:

I had a bit less trouble with them because I ran Duran with Provoke and Hawk and Angela both with Enigma. Use Provoke and Enigma as you can and then pilot Duran primarily during the fight. You can mitigate lots and lots of the damage this way.

Going to second this: putting provoke on Duran and primarily controlling him will take a lot of heat off your allies. Also put enigma on Angela and set her to go buck wild with spells and items (no restrictions at all) and the AI will put out good damage.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

gandlethorpe posted:

They go to all the trouble of remodeling every rock and tree just to use the same level layouts and go 1 to 1 with the original without addressing how the palaces are just palette swapped assets, and the moon palace is as :effort: as ever.
The tree palace is the only one that I thought was interesting.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Here's an interesting timeline of Secret of Mana's development.

https://vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/628336602516717570/from-the-akira-toriyama-project-to-secret-of-mana

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

It's an interesting article but has some glaring errors like claiming SoM as a sequel to FF Legend and not FF Adventure. Makes me unsure how seriously to take their claims of any relation to Mystic Quest.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chairface posted:

It's an interesting article but has some glaring errors like claiming SoM as a sequel to FF Legend and not FF Adventure. Makes me unsure how seriously to take their claims of any relation to Mystic Quest.

FFA was called Mystic Quest in Europe (as it says in the article, so...). That's it, that's the relation.

Calling it Legend is prolly just a typo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m doing my second playthrough and am unsure about what to do with Riesz. I’m doing LD Charlotte & DD Kevin. I was going to do Dark Riesz since my final run will be with Riesz as my main and I’m going to do Starlancer then so I figured I’d try dark but I’m not sure if DL Riesz or DD Riesz is better.

Edit: are her debuffs affected by INT or Spirit? Like I guess the length they stick or whatever

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 28, 2020

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
IIRC, Dragon Master (DL) is better than Fenrir Knight (DD).

And I believe her buffs/debuffs run off spirit, but don't quote me on that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Oxxidation posted:

illusion of gaia was my very first video game and if it ever re-emerged i would be legally obligated to flip the gently caress out
I would so welcome it. The dialog can get so bad at times I want a Legends of Localization book on it. The super boss is new to me and boy is he merciless.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m doing my second playthrough and am unsure about what to do with Riesz. I’m doing LD Charlotte & DD Kevin. I was going to do Dark Riesz since my final run will be with Riesz as my main and I’m going to do Starlancer then so I figured I’d try dark but I’m not sure if DL Riesz or DD Riesz is better.

Edit: are her debuffs affected by INT or Spirit? Like I guess the length they stick or whatever

I don't think the debuffs' length run off any stat. They always last a minute unless you're the Fenrir Knight who has a passive where they never run out.

Fenrir Knight is more focussed on debuffing since she can multi-target debuffs and they don't need to be renewed.
Dragon Master is more focussed on attacking since she gets a boost to her damage whenever he HP is full and her class strike covers a larger area.

So it depends on what you want to do with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

That Genshin game kinda looks like what an open world Mana game should be.