Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 46.36%
No 81 53.64%
Total: 151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arven posted:

They are a perfect shitstorm of out of date technology and end users that think they're smarter than IT. They're also just big lucrative targets.

This can not be stressed enough. Doctors frequently have an outside opinion of their ability to think critically in any situation that isn't their specialty. So many times as tech support you'd call someone "mister" and listen to a 5 minute rant about how they are "Doctor" and the whole time you're just trying to get them to swap cables on their router so their poo poo works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

This can not be stressed enough. Doctors frequently have an outside opinion of their ability to think critically in any situation that isn't their specialty. So many times as tech support you'd call someone "mister" and listen to a 5 minute rant about how they are "Doctor" and the whole time you're just trying to get them to swap cables on their router so their poo poo works.

We had a client that got compromised because the Doctor plugged in a Wifi/Router combo into the network that proceeded to get popped.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Don’t forget the administrations are usually full of MBAs that somehow manage to be worse at management than doctors with no management training.

Gotta cut all costs and time spent with patients, that’s just not profitable.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ASAPI posted:

Has anyone mentioned the Ransomware attack on UHS hospitals? About 400 affected, the hospitals are essentially running on fumes and hope right now.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/uhs-hospital-network-hit-by-ransomware-attack/

CommieGIR posted:

Current grapevine rumor is they got phished leading to this.

Easiest way. This is terrifying. There may (will) be more deaths because of this.

Meanwhile, in cyber news: Tyler Technologies' CEO dumped sold $2.7 million in shares shortly before informing clients of the hack.

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/1236...033da5461e60141

There will be more news on that front coming Wednesday.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Don’t forget the administrations are usually full of MBAs that somehow manage to be worse at management than doctors with no management training.

The for-profit, in-patient psychiatric hospital I did my internship at had a CEO who only had a bachelor's and was a young mid-30s guy. He didn't bother coming to our orientation and when I finally saw him he looked exactly like I expect of an empty suit (slacks and a button-down). Nothing I saw ever rose to the level of reporting for anything professionally but that place had low morale, burnt-out staff, and at many times I did not feel like we were providing any therapeutic value to the patients.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Internet Wizard posted:

That's what UHS does, they buy hospitals and run them like MBAs to extract ~shareholder value~.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arven posted:

They are a perfect shitstorm of out of date technology and end users that think they're smarter than IT. They're also just big lucrative targets.

What percentage of care providers in the average hospital even work for that hospital instead of being contractors or temps or whatever?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh yeah I remember seeing that what feels like a million years ago, I just want to see the source documents so I can reach my own conclusions (It's a historian thing). I've no doubts McGann's reaction was justified, it's the specifics that would fascinate me.

Same, which is why I loving hate twitter.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PookBear posted:

how do hospitals keep getting hit by ransomware? why is poo poo connected to the internet?

Partially so that patient data records and can be shared between different places, which (in a better world where poo poo was competent and not constantly under the for-profit cutting knife) would be useful and good.

But instead, well,

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's what UHS does, they buy hospitals and run them like MBAs to extract ~shareholder value~.

:shrug:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CainFortea posted:

German culture covets doctorates in strange ways.

quote:

Germans place a greater premium on doctorates than Americans do as marks of distinction and erudition. According to the Web site Research in Germany, about 25,000 Germans earn doctorates each year, the most in Europe and about twice the per capita rate of the United States.

Many Germans believe the scandals are rooted in their abiding respect, and even lust, for academic accolades, including the use of Prof. before Dr. and occasionally Dr. Dr. for those with two doctoral degrees. Prof. Dr. Volker Rieble, a law professor at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, calls this obsession “title arousal.”

quote:

For the plagiarism scalp hunters, the abundance of titles provides what in military circles is known as a target-rich environment, and digging up academic deception by politicians has become an unlikely political blood sport. There is even a collaborative, wiki-style platform where people can anonymously inspect academic texts, known as VroniPlag.

Here in the homeland of schadenfreude, the zeal for unmasking academic frauds also reflects certain Teutonic traits, including a rigid adherence to principle and a know-it-all streak. “I just think that many Germans have a police gene in their genetic makeup,” Dr. Rieble said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/world/europe/german-education-chief-quits-in-scandal-reflecting-fascination-with-titles.html

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Uncomfortably accurate

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

Easiest way. This is terrifying. There may (will) be more deaths because of this.

Meanwhile, in cyber news: Tyler Technologies' CEO dumped sold $2.7 million in shares shortly before informing clients of the hack.

Y'know, the more this stock dumping poo poo happens, the more I'm sure it happens a lot more than we are hearing and these guys just got caught.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's like American Medical Care in a Nutshell. Hell, that includes Insurance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Gravel Institute is launching an Anti-PragerU, well worth it

Enjoy some H Jon Benjamin narration:
https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1310633185198440451?s=20

Employing Chelsea Manning is one of their talking points. :geno:

PookBear posted:

how do hospitals keep getting hit by ransomware? why is poo poo connected to the internet?

For insurance information, for payment information, for making medical info available through patient portals, probably some medical hardware needs to be connected to the internet because it's 2020.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 28, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Germans would’ve lost their mind if they’d met Col. Prof. Dr. Dr. My Grandpa

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Internet Wizard posted:

The Germans would’ve lost their mind if they’d met Col. Prof. Dr. Dr. My Grandpa

Lufthansa has got him covered:

quote:

Many jobs require such degrees in Germany, where, as is not the case in America, calling oneself doctor for having completed a thesis in, say, political science or art history, is not embarrassing but normal, even when filling out Lufthansa’s online booking forms. (The airline generously provides three levels of academic achievement for its overachieving countrymen: doctor, professor and professor doctor, skipping the extremely rare but not unheard-of German mouthful Herr Professor Doctor Doctor).

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That field is purely cosmetic on most forms and fun to fill out randomly. Hearing "here are your keys, Admiral AreWeDrunkYet" is a small pleasure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Employing Chelsea Manning is one of their talking points. :geno:

If they can take down PragerU a notch, I'll forgive them that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

If they can take down PragerU a notch, I'll forgive them that.

Yeah, it was just the moment where I went from "hell yeah" to "oh. ok."

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Internet Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyl6Cnbfzw

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Many jobs require such degrees in Germany, where, as is not the case in America, calling oneself doctor for having completed a thesis in, say, political science or art history, is not embarrassing but normal, even when filling out Lufthansa’s online booking forms. (The airline generously provides three levels of academic achievement for its overachieving countrymen: doctor, professor and professor doctor, skipping the extremely rare but not unheard-of German mouthful Herr Professor Doctor Doctor).

My (former) father in law was one and wouldn't shut up about it whenever we passed through Germany. (Math from Yale, Princeton IAS for physics, and an MD from Columbia.)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That field is purely cosmetic on most forms and fun to fill out randomly. Hearing "here are your keys, Admiral AreWeDrunkYet" is a small pleasure.

If you don't pick Wing Commander every time, just go ahead and delete your account.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What, no comrade

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/barry/status/1310687550428897282

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kesper North posted:

Their stock didn't respond to this news at all. I was looking to short it today and it went up a third of a percent. Market doesn't care, my best guess is it's government contracts so who gives a gently caress, they aren't losing that money any time soon.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

What percentage of care providers in the average hospital even work for that hospital instead of being contractors or temps or whatever?

I was working for a college that had a fellowship with the local hospital system, but from what I observed they're still (badly paid unless you're a doctor) regular employees. Nurse unions are hanging on by a thread.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/armenia/status/1310165919344320513?s=21

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Father Grigori is ready.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Turkey is reportedly giving a lot of aid to Azerbaijan so I feel a lot more compelled to take the Armenians’ side purely out of spite for Erdogan.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

modern day version of a 40k chaplain

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Handsome Ralph posted:

If you don't pick Wing Commander every time, just go ahead and delete your account.

Real toss-up between that and Air Commodore.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Handsome Ralph posted:

Lol no, Viscount or bust.

So if I go ahead and get an ill advised PhD will that help me escape the collapse of the empire, seeking refuge in the land of beer and wurst?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I have a handful of Armenian friends (one a former dissident who was imprisoned in Turkey, most of them Armenian genocide scholars) and there is a fair bit of worry about turkey using this as a set up to do a little regional ethnic cleansing.

That fighter pilot should have pulled the trigger. Coward.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well, since "Viceroy" isn't an option, I guess.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just go ahead and call me freddie prinze jr. Cuz I'd be grabbing that wing commander option every time

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Kentucky tried to get rid of their exposure in the Breonna Taylor case and the Grand Jury is starting to make noises like they're not going to let them get away with it.

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1310725296954499073

https://twitter.com/JuryReporter/status/1310719532240113664

The whole thing continues to stink.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Well it's a good thing we've got some criminal justice reform candidates on the ballot

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The jury was never given the option of charging anyone for shooting Breonna. The AG lied and said the jury found no reason to charge them. He then stretched this lie further by saying that the grand jury agreed with the AG that the officers were justified in their shooting, which they never did. If random juror didn't speak up and say hey that's a lie we would have never known.

This is criminal thug poo poo.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 29, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In a rare ray of good news, the venusian phosphine detection holds up in reanalysis of 70s probe data.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.12758

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
YOU REQUIRE MORE PHOSPHENE GAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

that juror's life is in danger.